“Tolerable at a good rate with an amazing view”

Sandcastle South Beach Resort
Ranked #110 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here over the 4th of July weekend, if you ever get the chance to watch fireworks at the beach I highly recommend it.

We checked in on Sat June 28th. Apparently the timeshare floors had been over booked and someone else was given the room we were supposed to have on our reservation. The front desk was very helpful and got us another room, telling us it was the only one they had.
We were given a room at the end on the 5th floor. I'm not a horribly emotional person, but I seriously cried once my husband left the room.

I then spent the next 2.5 hrs cleaning the room with Lysol wipes, it was completely disgusting. Which is funny since Quashawda left a tip envelope for housekeeping and there was a sign saying there would be a $50 charge for unwashed dishes. I fully expected to rewash dishes anyway, but what I found was just over the top. The pots still had food in them along with plastic silverware and plastic bags. The dish drainer had grease stuck to it and was filthy.
The one remote control had no back on it and the other was just missing, which I can understand as people will steal anything not bolted down it seems. The murphy bed was half made and had garbage behind it.
I finally went to the front desk with dirty dishes in hand, they apologized and agreed that was just gross.
They then asked if I wanted a different room to which I said YES PLEASE.

The next room was in better condition, but was certainly by no means clean. It was missing the remotes and the dvd player so I let the front desk know. On the second day I went down and asked for the remotes again and a dvd player. The older gal (super nice) told maintenance via walkie-talkie and he said he would get them up to us, but they had no dvd players as they had all been taken.
On day three I talked to the older gal (still sweet as pie) and she walkied to Dennis that were STILL waiting on remotes, with in 15 mins he was knocking on our door with them. My husband mentioned no dvd player he said he would look, shortly there after he came back with one. Thank you Dennis, you're awesome.
The stove top burners had only two that worked (only on high), one actually fell off and was completely disconnected when cleaning.
But the view was breathtaking.

The parking deck is very narrow and it is difficult for a full sized truck to move about so we parked on the top deck to ensure room to get out. There was a dirty diaper, several beer cans, and a pile of human feces in the doorway of the stairwell. This was Sat evening, the following Sat morning when we left it was STILL there.

There were no pool attendants to correct unruly children (or adults for that matter). There was broken glass around the pool along with left over food and trash. We actually saw people coming in from the street to play in the pool. I was approached in the parking lot at night by a young 20 something girl that had no idea where she was and only knew her hotel "was pink". This could have been a dangerous situation.

My husband likes to sit on the balcony early and watch all of the activities. He watched while the resort on either side cleaned up their properties and pool. The groundskeeper at our resort walked over to the loungers and moved one, he then proceeded to kick the red solo cup under the chair and one onto the adjoining property. My husband actually came into the room laughing as he could hardly believe what he really just witnessed.

The elevators were also a treat. We found it easier and safer to just take the stairs. The one elevator would take us up one floor and open and close repeatedly on each floor although we were the only ones there. Sadly on the 4th, when the elevators are at a prime the one died completely. We heard the front desk begging for a company to come out and fix it.

On day two of being there I called Jud Southerland the General Manager to let him know how disappointed I was by the dirty conditions and what we had experienced up to that point. I called several times and left a message. A day or so later I sadly missed the call (cell sevice is terrible in the block building) so I called him right back. I ultimately left two more messages on top of several calls that were not answered, needless to say I never got a call back.

On our floor the cleaning gal made sure we had clean towels everyday. Anytime I needed anything she made sure to find it, as our iron was missing as well. She always had a smile on her face every time I saw her.

Overall the price wasn't too bad, the front desk was nice and helpful, the grounds were semi cleaned, once cleaned properly the room was adequate.
The view however is amazing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank SherriHC
Robert S, General Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are working daily to improve service and facilities. Also thanks for commenting on our affordable rates and views. We hope you will visit again.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay here very much. The price was very reasonable and quite lower than many places in the area. All staff were friendly and helpful, especially our housekeeping crew. The view was spectacular!!! All rooms are oceanfront, so you can't get a bad view. The pools and hot tubs were wonderful, but the lazy river was my family's favorite. This place would not be for those expecting upper class accommodations. It is a good motel with some age and wear, but the price reflects that. We found it to be clean and comfortable but not perfect. Those expecting more need to pay the price and find something more suitable to their tastes. We plan to stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Lisa B

Thank you for your review. We are pleased your were happy with your stay and hope you will visit again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just came back from anstay at the sandcastle during Fourth of July. I will start with the positive: the view is spectacular, ocean front with a balcony. Location was perfect, only minutes away from all attractions.

The bad: parking is a nightmare! Be careful driving up and down the parking garage, very, very narrow. Anyone coming from the opposite direction can't see you (even with those big mirrors on the wall) and everyone seemed to think they were the only ones driving through and could make WIDE obnoxious turns coming around corners to then have to slam on the brakes bc you were on the other side and there is no room to move over.
The room it self was decent, not the best. The carpet felt damp and the showers we're TINY. I am 5'9 and couldn't put my arms up without hitting something. I also had to crouch down to get under the water in the shower. There was also a NASTY, CRUSTY stain on one if the pillow cases. (Clearly housekeeping forgot to do their job)

My biggest issue occurred on our LAST NIGHT. We got back to our room and was getting ready for bed and I noticed my brand new (tags still on them) Victoria Secret sleep shorts were missing! I checked all over the room, my luggage, the drawers, and I could not find them. Yes, it is only a pair of shorts, but the fact that it was tucked in with all my other personal belongings and someone went through my stuff and STOLE from me...I called the front desk to let them know. The only people who had been in the room were the HOUSEKEEPERS.

If you stay here, beware of housekeeping they may steal your clothes too.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nic M
Robert S, General Manager at Sandcastle South Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to learn your experience here was marred by the missing item of clothing. I would appreciate opportunity to discuss this matter with you personally. Please contact me anytime.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is it is oceanfront!!! Room is very worn: old appliances with rust and mold, carpet soiled, tub felt like it was about to collapse, balcony dirty, air conditioner in bedroom not working, room very small, furniture old and torn, ceiling stained, and that is just the room. Front desk associates rude and gave me the key to an occupied room . I walked in on a family getting dressed. How safe does that make you feel? They made the family move after they had been there all day and ask me to wait in the lobby because they lhad no other rooms. Do you really clean the rooms? Finally after 1-2 hrs another room magically appeared available.

Overall experience: I felt scammed from pictures and when I complained all I got was 1/2 day compensation, which had to occur the next day because no one was on site to help.

Room Tip: Sandy Beach Resort is where I usually stay
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Vg2u

Thank you for your review. We are sorry we did not live up to your expectations and apologize for any inconvenience we might have caused. Daily we work towards improving our facilities and service to provide our guests a positive vacation experience.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

We stayed here two nights recently. Had ocean front suite. Room seemed to be clean, but pull down bed was not made and had a very dirty soiled mattress. Light on wall between guest beds in front room did not work as well as some of the electrical outlets. There was garbage and dirty towels outside of some guests rooms in the hallway for several hours. Free Wi-Fi was provided. Housekeeping did keep the room stocked with extra towels both days.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 1139anne

Thank you for the review. I am sorry we did not meet all of your expectations and hope you will try us again. Please contact me personally when planning your next visit.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

well the hotel is a nice beach front hotel you can park in the parking garage on the same side of the rd so that is kinda nice the outside of the property is groomed pretty nice its not the best on the beach but is better than alot of others ive stayed at the rooms are ok bathroom in my room was small but it had a small tv in it so it was ok the bed was ok by far not the best and for my trip of 2 days it was acceptable would not want to be there for a week though the staff was friendly no issue there the rates were affordable and the ocean is in your back yard so hope the info helps on your planning

Room Tip: this is at the south end so you will need to walk a good bite or drive to boardwalk or family kingdo...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank android291982

I am sorry to learn the housekeeper did not perform her duties properly and would like to speak with you personally so we can address this with the employee. It is our intention to provide service to our guests that meets their expectations. Please contact me personally at your convenience.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here 4days/3nights, rooms were not clean, the bathroom was sooooo tiny I barely fit in the bathroom, my husband is 5'10, and the ceiling was sooo low he had to watch his head in the bathroom as well! The hallways and stairs were dirty, with trash and cigarette butts everywhere. Only two elevators worked and they took forever, then when you got on they shooked badly! My daughter enjoyed the lazy river, but overall this was the worst hotel I have stayed at in a long time! Only good thing was the hotel was right on the beach!

Room Tip: Find another hotel, this is not the one! Wish someone had told me. I promise!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dee S

Thank you for your review. Please accept my apology we did not meet your expectations. During your stay one of our elevators was out of service while waiting on a part. Concerning the issue of
cleanliness of the hallways, we have hired additional personnel to correct the situation and truly wish all of our guests were considerate enough to use the trash bins provided.

Again thanks and please contact me personally to discuss your visit.