“WONDERFUL TRIP”

Ranked #142 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ararat, North Carolina, United States
“WONDERFUL TRIP”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We just have got back from staying at the wave rider resort. We stayed from Aug. 10 thru Aug. 15 2014. We was really worried about the trip because of all the reviews we had seen on the internet i actually called down there twice to cancel but the man i talked to assure me that things were getting better and that i would enjoy my stay. Well we went and had a wonderful time there. The staff was very pleasant and helpful when we got there we had a small room with only one bed but it was very clean, we asked if we could upgrade and they got us into a bigger room within a hour. There was no ROACHES at all and we was there for 5 days we would at least seen 1 if there was any. The rooms were very clean and the pools were also. The lazy river had warm water in it and was very relaxing. The hotel was very family friendly mostly couples with their kids there and never had to put up with any drunks or loud partying. We will be going back there again and again. Thanks to the Wave Rider Resort for making our vacation great!!!

1 Thank Tonya E
pgw9393, Guest Relations Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wave Rider Resort. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate the fact that you mentioned the reviews that are posted on this site. I have researched and responded to most of the reviews and have found that in most cases the negative reviews are simply over stated and exaggerated. The Wave Rider is a family friendly resort, our pools typically are not over crowded, and we do not tolerate any drunks or loud parting. Spring and Fall are also truly beautiful times to visit for relaxing and enjoying the beach. I hope you will come again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We went Aug 11,2014 and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.there were NO BUGS, :) the staff were friendly, room was really clean and i loved the wicker :), The pool was clean the lazy river was heated AND very relaxing....We had a great tine and this will DEFINATELY be our choice to stay many times over!! Thanks for everything!! Great get away.....We will see you again soon. :) GO RED SOX!! Lol

• Stayed August 2014
pgw9393, Public Relations Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! It was a pleasure speaking with you and your wife at check-in regarding the Boston Red Sox’s. I appreciate the fact that you mentioned the pool being clean, due to I’m the one that normally is cleaning it each day. I hope to see you both again soon.
Dalzell, South Carolina
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our room needed updating but was clean. My issue is a person was killed the morning I checked in and no one said anything. I know they are running a business but I shouldn't have had to see it on the news the next morning. I was there with my three children. If they would have told me at check in I would have asked to cancel. Not telling me made me feel that money is more important to owners than my children's safety. Very upset about that. It might not have bothered someone else but a mom and 3 kids. Our room was clean but needed new stove, caulking in bathroom and painting. Room was ice cold. Sliding glass door would not lock but there was a stick to wedge in it. After learning of the shooting it stayed wedged! It was quiet at night, saw one roach but had spray thanks to the reviews on here, never saw another one. Only used elevator to get luggage to room and back to truck. It didn't work very well and closed on me twice (bumped into me, then opened back up). TV was clear from channel 3 to 12 after that snowy but we weren't there to watch tv. After hearing of the shooting I thought the best thing would be to stay out of room as much as we could. You might be thinking why didn't you leave I was told by other people around the hotel it had happen weeks ago and I didn't listen to the tv report 'cause we were headed out the door to the beach. Still freaking me out. I made the best of it for my children. The price was okay, location is great , just across the street from the beach, pools looked clean. Outside of building could use updating. Didn't see any vending or ice machines. Told housekeeping that we didn't need them to clean our room or make our beds that we would do that. They said "Honey we don't do that. All we do is take your trash and dirty towels, then give you clean ones." At least she was honest and very friendly. Everyone there was nice. The sheets were worn and where they place you clean towels under the sink was stained. I couldn't stand it and put plastic down to put towels on. The only exercise equipment I saw was and eliptical by a washing machine in a small room. I did tell the person on duty at check out I was not happy about the updates that were needed and didn't like that no one told me about the shooting. He said he was sorry that clients have changed over the years not as good as they use to be. We won't book there again. Hope this was helpful.

1 Thank Barbara P
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wave Rider Resort. As you can imagine from Memorial Day to Labor Day our rooms are typically completely full making it difficult to perform updates. Please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. The vast majority of the units are lovely and we do rent our nicest units first. Therefore, when you make a last minute reservation often the best units are already taken. Since your review, our season has begun to slow down and we have begun going through each of the rooms to update them as needed.

The incident that you mentioned was very unfortunate and happened in a private residence. Since the incident happened in the early morning hours I was not made aware of incident until around 8 am that morning, by 9 am the person responsible for the incident had been taken into custody.

We actually have a convenience store located in the office where you checked in, we have one vending machine located in the same area where you mentioned you saw the elliptical machine and another vending machine located on the bottom floor beside the elevator. We are currently attempting to update our fitness room located on the 2nd floor and earlier this year I removed the fitness center as an amenity from all of our websites and advertisements. We anticipate having it back up and running within the next couple of months.

The housekeepers come by the room each day, and replenish the towels, washcloths, linens, soap, and toilet paper as needed. They also take out the trash and make up the beds (pending no personal items are left on the bed).

We share in your concern over the roach that you and apologize for the inconveniences it may have caused. We have a professional pest control company who comes out every third Monday of the month to do a preventive spraying for these types of pest. However unfortunately every once in a while we do receive a complaint regarding this type of pest. Our policy is to immediately address any concerns by a guest by shutting the room down and having the pest control company come out to spray again.

I sincerely hope that you will give us an opportunity to re-earn your business.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Reviewed 9 August 2014

When it came to the room, it was clean. Left our room at 11am, returned after 6pm and the room had not been cleaned. Went to report it, front desk clerk just brushed it off her shoulders. Pool was fun and clean. No phone in room. Refrigerator made horrible noise throughout the night. Dresser drawers broken, other rooms set up better than our "king bed suite." Could hear everything next door and upstairs. Location was great. On a smaller note, not impressed for the price. Needs to be a cheaper rate for the service and room layout.

2 Thank Joyner7985
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wave Rider Resort. I'm glad that you enjoyed parts of your stay with us. As you can imagine from Memorial Day to Labor Day our rooms are typically completely full making it difficult to perform updates such as painting. Please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. The vast majority of the units are lovely and we do rent our nicest units first. Therefore, when you make a last minute reservation often the best units are already taken. Since your review, our season has begun to slow down and we have begun going through each of the rooms to update them as needed.
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Lots of reasons to pass by this place... The room needs an update, the elevator needs service - it would bounce to a stop while the door opened - and no housekeeping during our stay. Balcony door was only partially functional. They did exchange towels for us and collect our trash each day, and location is good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wave Rider Resort. As you can imagine from Memorial Day to Labor Day our rooms are typically completely full making it difficult to perform updates such as painting. Please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. The vast majority of the units are lovely and we do rent our nicest units first. Therefore, when you make a last minute reservation often the best units are already taken. Since your review, our season has begun to slow down and we have begun going through each of the rooms to update them as needed.

I apologize about the trouble you experienced with the elevator, we were aware of the problem, however there was a delay with the parts being delivered, since your review the repairs have been made and the elevator is working correctly.

I am a bit confused concerning your statement regarding maid service, in one sentence you stated you did not receive any, however you later said that the maids came by your room each day exchanged your towels and took out your trash?

Again, thank you for your review and I hope you will give us another chance.
Parkton
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We booked through a 3rd party and management of this dump rents rooms also in the Palace resort and the Room was bug infested, smelled, torn carpet, the room was notcleaned, cereal was on the floor I quess previous quest, old outdated broken furniture a DUMP!pictures on the websites are deceptive! I did read the reviews and I took the chances, I felt my family and I were at health risk so we left there was nobody on duty to complain too so I returned the next morning to turn in the key, the manager or whoever he was, said the would call a exterminator, I told him we were leaving and he charged me $253.00, two days later I learned they also billed me for the rest of the days we did'nt stay , after calling ,obviously I was livid, he lied and said they did not charge me, then he said booking did, knowing better I called Booking and like I already knew, They had nothing to do with the billing, booking called them and they told booking that the only billed me for that one night and I only complained about how small the beds were,all lies , the 3rd lie was I cancel my reservation I didn't cancel I showed up and because of the conditions I refused to stay , there, so is that how it works? Really people is this how y'all make money and after going through all of this, the last phone call I made to them They hung up on me but the got my hard earned money, I am going to file a complaint with the state attorney Generals office and whoever to put a stop to these type of business practices!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Jennifer T
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. We are in the “FUN” business and certainly would not want any guest to feel uncomfortable regardless if they had rented directly from the resort or from a private owner or 3rd party. Please note that the Wave Rider Resort is not a hotel but a condominium building where all of our units here are individually owned as a result some are rented through the front desk while others are rented out via private owners and offsite rental companies.

When booking through a private owner or 3rd party, please know that it is their responsibility to fully disclose to their guests that they are not entitled to some of the amenities / services that are offered to other guests who choose to rent directly from the front desk of the Resort. For example guest who rent directly from the resort receive maid service, 24 HR emergency assistance, access to wireless services, and access to our media center where guests can access the internet, print documents, place / receive long distance calls and receive faxes from the privacy of a private room. Unfortunately the front desk staff occasionally receives complaints from guests of these private owners upset that they are unable to receive maid service or have use of the same amenities of the guest who have rented directly from the resort. Ultimately these private owners guest blame the front desk staff and say that we are rude, for them not being informed upfront by the private owners of what they are to expect and receive. Some guests assume that they can save money by renting directly from an owner or 3rd party rather than renting directly from the front desk at the resort, however in many cases rates offered by the resort are actually less than what the private owner is offering and as a bonus when renting directly from the resort guests have the piece of mind that in the event of a emergency they will be taken care of immediately.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Wave Rider was a good place for our last minute trip to the beach. The only issues we had were the tv was very staticky and would not angle up. Also, it rained most of the time we were there, so we had to use the indoor pool, which is rather filthy. Other than that, the service was good, the location is right across the street from the beach and about 10 minutes away from Broadway at the Beach, so excellent location.

1 Thank Jonathan F
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our resort for the most part. I can assure you that the indoor pool was clean; however it was in dire need of painting. I would agree with your assessment that it looked filthy however what you were actually seeing was where the paint had started fading and the concrete floor was showing through the old paint. Several weeks ago we closed the indoor pool, drained it and re-painted it. It now looks clean and wonderful. We invite you to come back again in the Fall / Spring when the rates are low and it is truly a beautiful time to visit for relaxing and enjoying the beach. I hope you will come again soon.