“what has happened to this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Wave Rider Resort

Wave Rider Resort
Ranked #154 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
A TripAdvisor Member
“what has happened to this place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2005

For about 9 yrs we have stayed at wave rider.they always had great prices and service.but the last few yrs things keep getting worse.3 yrs ago when checking in ,we take the key unlock the door to find someone was in the room,we were all embarresed and went to management which acted like it was no big deal,last yr when checking in the room smelled so bad they did give us another room,this yr was terrible,the place is really going down.the pool is terrible,there are no chairs,the ones that are there are broke,my grand daughter cut her finger when getting up after sitting in one. every morning people were out at 7 am putting their towel on the chairs that were there to save them for the day.And then the big one that really got to me,your big free hot dog lunch day .WHAT A JOKE!The men working that was total jerks,my granddaughter which is 6 got her hot dog,reaches to get her drink and drops her hot dog WHICH I CLEAN UP, I go back to get her another one and trying to be friendley say to the man which i think is the manager,i bet this happens alot with kids,his reply was NO MAM IT DOESNT! what a jerk, my poor grand daughter was so upset he hurt her filling and embarressed her in front of everyone she didnt eat,I would rather buy my food then to have your terrible service for a FREE hot dog.This is the first time we have left a day early,but when getting up to enjoy the last day to see again there are no chairs left,why stick around to wait for a broken chair,there are better rates at the beach we just have to look for them,and if they would bring back the bunch of management that were there several yrs ago ,things would be better ,and put some of the money that is coming into wave rider back into waverider.I have never heard as many complains from people i talked to as i did this yr.so clean the place up and you may get a good review!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2005

I must say Im alittle shocked at the most recent reviews,as Im about to head to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks and this will be my 5th summer staying at the Wave Rider. I usually stay in July and pay aprox $70.00, this yr being I will hit the low season it will cost $45.00 a night. Either way it is one of the most economical places to stay that is not a dump. Most of the rooms are independantly owned and managed by Wave Rider that is where the inconsistancy comes in. I have always had excellent service, the parking is good and resonably well lit, there is great access to the beach either by crossing the road or using the access from the garage next door. The pool is always crystal clear and plenty big enough, my kids love the lazy river! There is no dout some rooms are in better repair than others, Ive had a burner out before and we did have to get the A/C fixed the last time. This is no Hilton and your not paying for that either. Overall Wave Rider is a good family bargain hotel with the same problems as any hotel its age.

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank AddictedtoCruising
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2005

the wave rider resort in myrtle beach is the worst place i have ever stayed in...the place was filthy, most of the appliances didn't work and when we asked for something to be fixed it took forever...my family had 4 rooms and all were bad..the air conditioning was hot..one room had no hot water, the sliding glass doors were hard to open, in one room the door would stick so if there was an emergency the occupants in that room would have a hard time getting out..the management team was horrible, we were given the run around when we asked to talk to the owner, we were told so many different stories about who actually owned the place that we still don't know who does...the management staff were also rude and uncooperative...i could go on and on about how bad this place is but i think i'll stop here cause if i describe the way the place looked when we checked in (the toilet in one room was dirty) i'll get sick.....

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2005

I just returned home from staying at the waverider Resort. I was really nervous about what I would find when I arrived. When we arrived we were completely happy with the Resort. It was clean. Traveling with an Infant I was worried about the rooms cleaniness, with my daughter crawling around. I was very pleased that our room was clean. I read a complaint on one of the other reviews about the traffic and crossing the street. We didn't have a problem with crossing the street, because you have access to the bridge that crosses the street at the hotel next door. so an elevator ride up and down you were at the beach. We enjoyed the pool and lazy river more than anything else in myrtle beach. I would recommend this resort to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2005

My family usually goes to MB every summer for at least one week.
Over the last ten years, we have never stayed any where else but at
The Wave Rider. We have taken friends of our children and others to this location several times. The rooms were always clean, amd the management was always very helpful.
My sons are now adults and I make reservations for one of them almost every summer at the Wave Rider. The pools are well kept, and great if you have small children. My adult children also enjoy the pools. If you don't want to spend a day on the beach, you can always relax by the pool or or their lazy river. (Which is lots of fun for younger children) The beach is just across the street from the room without paying a higher price for being on the beach. I have met some very nice families over the last ten years at this resort. Hope to be there again this summer.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2004

For what you pay, you cannot beat this location. The rooms were clean and the daily maid service was great. The rooms included a full size refrigerator, microwave and stove. They have a large outdoor pool, an indoor pool, two kiddie pools and a lazy river ride. If you are looking for a five star resort, this hotel might not be for you. But if you are looking for a clean, affordable, family-atmosphere location, the Wave Rider Resort is for you and your family. I would definately stay here again.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2004

I have stayed here at least 10 times or more,and I make it my number one place to stay in Myrtle Beach if I can get a room. This place has the best parking lot for guest that I have ever stayed. It is so easy to get in and out of the property and their are no other motels on either side of you. It is operated by The Palace Hotel which is across the street and ocean front. The Landmark Hotel is next door to the Place. The Wave Rider is about 400 feet from the ocean. Cross the Blvd and walk down through the parking lot between the Palace and the Landmark and right on to the beach. The Wave Rider has a 75ft pool, a small lazy river pool but very nice. It has a nice little wading pool about a foot deep for the little tots. It has a nice large indoor pool also. The 75ft outdoor pool also has a large deck and plenty of reclining chairs for sunbathing. It is within walking distance of the K & W Cafeteria if your not lazy. The Wave Rider is one of the most reasonable motels and is in one of the nicest sections of South Ocean Blvd. in Myrtle Beach. It is not congested in this area of South Ocean Blvd. The Staff and service have always been great to us. Hope to get there 2 times this year. If you would like to know more just send me an E-mail.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member