“Terrible stay”

Ranked #151 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Lancaster, South Carolina
“Terrible stay”
Reviewed 12 February 2007

This place has went down. The sheets were not clean. The carpet was dirty. The bath tub and sink were stopped up. No towels or soap in the room. The manager did not care that we were not staisfied with our stay.

• Liked — It used to be a nice place to say
  • Disliked — The condition of the room and the manager's attitude.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Beachboundin2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Reviewed 25 February 2006

It did serve our purpose, which was to find a decent room for one night only at a reasonable price. We had intended to stay at the Landmark or Palace, but didn't realize this was the weekend of the MB Marathon. The nice hotels were booked solid. We stopped in at some of the "dumps" & they had not only inflated their prices from what was on the marquee, but most also had a two night min. So the Wave Rider was about it, unless we wanted to keep hunting.

It was only $35. (could have stayed 3 nites for $75., but this was the last weekend at that rate). This is an aging property. I'm sure some rooms are better than others; ours was OK, but issues included a big hole in the seat of a chair & what looked like permanent dirt on the sheets (I think they had been washed but this grossed my wife out). Also the floor in the kitchen was so old it just looked filthy. You do get a full-size fridge & compact range/micro.

The funniest thing was the "possessed elevator." It kept going up and down (by itself), opening the doors at each floor, but if you pressed the call button, it stopped! We never did figure out how to outsmart it, so we just used the stairs.

• Stayed February 2006
Reviewed 12 January 2006

We have stayed at the Wave Rider three times in the past four years. We have found that the accomadations to be very good for the money paid. The rooms are not brand spanking new but are quite acceptable considering the overall age of the motel. It is in a convient location and price is very affordable. The staff has always been helpful when we stayed there. We recommend this motel for anyone who doesn't want to spend their vacation allowance on a room only.

• Stayed August 2004
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 August 2005

For about 9 yrs we have stayed at wave rider.they always had great prices and service.but the last few yrs things keep getting worse.3 yrs ago when checking in ,we take the key unlock the door to find someone was in the room,we were all embarresed and went to management which acted like it was no big deal,last yr when checking in the room smelled so bad they did give us another room,this yr was terrible,the place is really going down.the pool is terrible,there are no chairs,the ones that are there are broke,my grand daughter cut her finger when getting up after sitting in one. every morning people were out at 7 am putting their towel on the chairs that were there to save them for the day.And then the big one that really got to me,your big free hot dog lunch day .WHAT A JOKE!The men working that was total jerks,my granddaughter which is 6 got her hot dog,reaches to get her drink and drops her hot dog WHICH I CLEAN UP, I go back to get her another one and trying to be friendley say to the man which i think is the manager,i bet this happens alot with kids,his reply was NO MAM IT DOESNT! what a jerk, my poor grand daughter was so upset he hurt her filling and embarressed her in front of everyone she didnt eat,I would rather buy my food then to have your terrible service for a FREE hot dog.This is the first time we have left a day early,but when getting up to enjoy the last day to see again there are no chairs left,why stick around to wait for a broken chair,there are better rates at the beach we just have to look for them,and if they would bring back the bunch of management that were there several yrs ago ,things would be better ,and put some of the money that is coming into wave rider back into waverider.I have never heard as many complains from people i talked to as i did this yr.so clean the place up and you may get a good review!

• Stayed July 2005
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Ohio
Reviewed 28 July 2005

I must say Im alittle shocked at the most recent reviews,as Im about to head to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks and this will be my 5th summer staying at the Wave Rider. I usually stay in July and pay aprox $70.00, this yr being I will hit the low season it will cost $45.00 a night. Either way it is one of the most economical places to stay that is not a dump. Most of the rooms are independantly owned and managed by Wave Rider that is where the inconsistancy comes in. I have always had excellent service, the parking is good and resonably well lit, there is great access to the beach either by crossing the road or using the access from the garage next door. The pool is always crystal clear and plenty big enough, my kids love the lazy river! There is no dout some rooms are in better repair than others, Ive had a burner out before and we did have to get the A/C fixed the last time. This is no Hilton and your not paying for that either. Overall Wave Rider is a good family bargain hotel with the same problems as any hotel its age.

• Stayed June 2004
5 Thank AddictedtoCruising
Reviewed 17 July 2005

the wave rider resort in myrtle beach is the worst place i have ever stayed in...the place was filthy, most of the appliances didn't work and when we asked for something to be fixed it took forever...my family had 4 rooms and all were bad..the air conditioning was hot..one room had no hot water, the sliding glass doors were hard to open, in one room the door would stick so if there was an emergency the occupants in that room would have a hard time getting out..the management team was horrible, we were given the run around when we asked to talk to the owner, we were told so many different stories about who actually owned the place that we still don't know who does...the management staff were also rude and uncooperative...i could go on and on about how bad this place is but i think i'll stop here cause if i describe the way the place looked when we checked in (the toilet in one room was dirty) i'll get sick.....

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 June 2005

I just returned home from staying at the waverider Resort. I was really nervous about what I would find when I arrived. When we arrived we were completely happy with the Resort. It was clean. Traveling with an Infant I was worried about the rooms cleaniness, with my daughter crawling around. I was very pleased that our room was clean. I read a complaint on one of the other reviews about the traffic and crossing the street. We didn't have a problem with crossing the street, because you have access to the bridge that crosses the street at the hotel next door. so an elevator ride up and down you were at the beach. We enjoyed the pool and lazy river more than anything else in myrtle beach. I would recommend this resort to all my family and friends.

• Stayed June 2005