“The Wave Rider is just great!”
Review of Wave Rider Resort

Wave Rider Resort
Ranked #151 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
New York City, New York
“The Wave Rider is just great!”
Reviewed 22 February 2011

They've remodeled and it is a really nice place, The kitchen comes equipped with all kinds of basics - almost everything you need to eat and cook with. There's a huge Food Lion Supermarket a couple of blocks away.. The rooms are big and they have balconies. It's clean and safe.

. If I had any kind of problem, the staff is very professional and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ConstanceComments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Columbia
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed the night at the Wave Rider with my 2 children on a last minute reservation. My car had broken down and was not going to be ready in time for us to check out of the hotel we were staying at. The staff at Wave Rider were all so helpful and friendly! They went out of their way to make my family and I comfortable during this time. We stayed one night and the room was clean and the pool and lazy river were both clean. Of course this is not a 5 star hotel and you get what you pay for but the customer service was above and beyond my expectations. The location is perfect, directly accross the street from the public beach access. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an affordable place to stay at the beach!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
pgw9393, Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, 25 January 2011
We are so glad that you had such a good time here at the Wave Rider! We all work very hard to ensure that our guests have the best vacation experience possible. Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review and we look forward to having you back with us again.
Nanticoke, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 August 2010

I recently traveled with my boyfriend to Myrtle Beach. We rented a room at the Wave Rider Resort through someone who owned the actual unit, so I cannot give an accurate review on the cleanliness of the rooms.

The staff there (other than a few of the cleaning people) are RUDE! One person in particular who appeared to maybe be a maintenance man? He harassed us and gave us a hard time and we were not even guests of his hotel. We rented from someone who PURCHASED a room from that resort many, many years ago! Instead of harassing guests he perhaps should have been keeping the grounds tidy and well maintained.

There was garbage in the lazy river (which is TINY and hardly has a current) daily. One day I picked 3 soda bottles from it that were floating there for hours. There was a dead bird laying on one of the sidewalks for at least a day, and the air conditioners leaked water EVERYWHERE outside (maybe this cannot be helped). It's a shame because the location is great (right across the street from the ocean and near lots of restaurants/shops), but the cleanliness of the property was terrible, as well as the poor attitude of some of the staff. I would absolutely not recommend anyone to stay here!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank polkadotqueen
Please accept my sincere apologies for the problems you encountered during your stay. We are in the “FUN” business and certainly would not want any guest to feel uncomfortable regardless if they had rented directly from the resort or from a private owner.

When booking through a private owner, please know that it is their responsibility to fully disclose to their guests that they are not entitled to some of the amenities / services that are offered to other guests who choose to rent directly from the front desk of the Resort. For example guest who rent directly from the resort receive maid service, free daily continental breakfast (March – October only), 24 HR emergency assistance, access to a fitness /weight room, weekly cookouts (summer months only), access to wireless services, and access to our media center where guests can access the internet, print documents, place / receive long distance calls and receive faxes from the privacy of a private room. Unfortunately the front desk staff occasionally receives complaints from guests of these private owners upset that they are unable to eat off of our breakfast or receive maid service. Ultimately these private owners guest blame the front desk staff and say that we are rude, for them not being informed upfront by the private owners of what they are to expect and receive. Some guests assume that they can save money by renting directly from an owner rather than renting directly from the front desk at the resort, however in many cases rates offered by the resort are actually less than what the private owner is offering and as a bonus when renting directly from the resort guests have the piece of mind that in the event of a emergency they will be taken care of immediately.

This past summer we experienced a mechanical failure with an impeller pump, which creates the current in our lazy river. The impeller pump had to be special ordered and took about 3 weeks to come in. We do regret the inconvenience but sometimes things happen that we cannot control. During our peak summer months, I personally walk the property on average about 5 times during the course of a day looking for trash an debris which guests leave laying for the wind to blow around. In addition to myself we have a maintenance staff and pool attendant who also look for items that need to be addressed. The reviewer mentioned seeing a bird lying along a walkway at the resort. I actually found the bird while doing a walk through around noon, lying along a walkway where it had flew into a glass panel just outside of our pool area. I immediately had it removed. The bird could not have been there any longer than a couple of hours, because I had walked the same area earlier in the day and would have had to walk over it in order to avoid it. Over the past year we have made many improvements to the resort and are excited about the upcoming rental season. Many of our rooms were updated over the winter and we have plans on updating our lazy river area and parking lot area in the upcoming months. Again, I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. I would love the opportunity to re-earn your business.

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

kershaw
Reviewed 5 August 2010

I had stayed in this place before about 2 years ago and thought it was okay and fair priced. this time the room i got was way too much for what we got. there were roaches in the room, which i did not see until i got up the next morning to take a shower. when i was about to get in the shower i noticed the tub had never been cleaned, had to clean it myself. i turned the shower on and let it run for more than 5 minutes, waiting for the water to heat up, it never did, so i got in and took a cold shower, by the time i was almost done it got slightly warm. the was not much water pressure either. i will never come back!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sarabella19
Thank you for sharing your experience. We share in your concern over the roach that you saw in your room and apologize for the inconveniences it may have caused. We have a professional pest control company who comes out every third Monday of the month to do an ongoing preventive spraying for these types of pest. However unfortunately every once in a while we do receive a complaint. Our policy is to immediately address any concerns by a guest by shutting the room down and having the pest control company come out to spray again.

Our hot water works off of two separate hot water tanks located near the front and back of the building. Depending on where you stay in the building it make take a few minutes for the water to warm to a comfortable level. We are aware of the situation and are currently looking into having extra re-circulators placed in the piping to move the hot water a bit faster.

Our staff is responsible for cleaning the tubs and I regret that they may have fallen short of both our expectations with their performance during this guests stay. Plans are being made to increase staff levels to provide better service and attention to the rooms and bathroom areas specifically.
Archdale, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We went into Myrtle Beach without a reservation for a short, spur of the moment trip. We checked out several other locations & were NOT happy with what we found. I had stayed at Wave Rider several years ago & was pleased with their service & rooms but would prefer ocean front. We went with Wave Rider again simply b/c the other options were quite scary.

We inquired about availability & price & were checked in within 15 minutes. The front desk was busy so other employees made themselves available right away.

The room we stayed in was clean & cool upon arrival even with us checking in earlier than the posted time. Being across the street from the ocean was my biggest concern but honestly the walk was not an inconvenience at all.

Wave Rider has also started serving continental breakfast which was not lavish but offered exactly what my kids wanted. The hotel limits the # of towels / washclothes allotted to each room so my recommendation would be to take some of your own to prevent having to share. Overall we were extremely pleased & will be staying there again!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank zachemy
Thank you for taking the time to review the Wave Rider Resort. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The fact that our staff were able to assist you quickly even though our front desk were busy is very good news. I'm also happy to hear that you were happy with your room and the services that we offer. I would like to explain that housekeeping is not to blame for the towel distribution. We were attempting to adhere to a "Go Green" agenda this past summer. As such we refresh the linens every other day. For those guests who want daily towels, we ask that they come to the front desk and we are happy to hand them out. Also, please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. I am also happy that our continental breakfast met your family’s needs. We updated the items on our continental breakfast earlier this year to consist of orange juice, apple juice, milk, coffee, tea, two types of cereal, waffles, toast, jelly/butter, and a variety of oatmeal. Again, thank you for your review and I hope you will come to see us again.
YORK.PA
Reviewed 15 July 2010

had a great time. Some of the guest were not the best people to be around. But after the 4 th they left and it was great.We stayed a week.The staf was geat. We met the new owner and he is work very hard to please everyone you can never do that if you know what I mean.HE IS TRYING TO IMPUVE EVERYTHIG. I will go back

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We booked our reservation online for Sat. and Sunday night checking out on Monday morning. We checked in around 5 or 6pm and had to wait for 20 minutes just for a key to be made to the room. We get up to the room and there is no toilet paper, A.C. didn't work, and that night the room was INFESTED with roaches. We called the front desk and were given toilet paper and a fan and told that we could move rooms in the morning. At 4am we received an emergency call saying that my husband's Dad had passed away unexpectedly. When I went downstairs at 6am to let the front desk know that we had a death in the family and had to leave early, I was told they do NO REFUNDS WHATSOEVER. Not only was the room horribly disgusting,but we had an emergency and were only in the room for around 12 hours. I would have paid for that night(even though we should not have been charged) but I think it is ridiculous to be charged for a product that we did not receive.The front desk clerk was very rude and unprofessional, and he told me he was the property manager. There is no wonder this hotel is so horrible.Not to mention that after i went to the desk to check out, when i get back to the room a man calls me and says he's from the corporate office and heard we had some problems. I explained everything to this man who got all of my personal information, then this man told me he would mail me some comp tickets for later in the summer. When I informed the guy at the front desk he said that the Wave Rider does not have a corporate office and that this guy always calls people in his hotel to get them to rent with their company. This hotel has no being open at all, and to think that with all the roaches I saw that this place serves breakfast!Will never ever stay here again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family