“NEVER AGAIN!”

Myrtlewood Villas
Chicago, Illinois
“NEVER AGAIN!”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Very dirty room, stained carpets, bedding didn't fit the beds in the room with double beds, one pillow to a bed, and they were flat! The master bedroom bed was really two smaller mattresses pushed together, which were uneven and VERY uncomfortable. The bedding was way too small for the bed, and there were only two extremely flat pillows on that bed. Definitely not up to par for the price that we paid to stay there for the week. I am very disappointed. There was a thick layer of black mold dripping from the shower head in one of the bathrooms, and we called to have it replaced, and they replaced the shower head in the wrong bathroom. The room hadn't been vacuumed prior to us checking in, and they came to vacuum our room 2-3 hours after we had checked in. The staff was very rude, and NOT accommodating in any way. I will NEVER return to the Myrtlewood Villas. The morning we left, which was a Saturday morning, one of our bags got stuck in the elevator. We saw a Maintenance person driving around and told him what had happened, and he informed us that it was the property management company's issue, and to call the emergency line. We called the emergency line, because the office wasn't open at that time. We were then told it would be hours until someone could come to open the elevator so that we could retrieve our belongings! We didn't have HOURS to wait, and needed to leave as early as possible, as we live 17 hours away. The woman also told us that she would leave a message with the front office for them to contact us as soon as they opened so that they could give us the status on our bag. No one ever called. I made numerous calls, and was put into the voicemail system. Left a message, and STILL never received a call back. I finally spoke with a woman named Sharon, after my 4th call, and by this time it was after noon. She knew NOTHING about our situation, or our bag, nor did she know if the elevator had been serviced. She was going to call someone at Chicora the property management company because the elevators were "not Myrtlewood's responsibility", to see if the elevator had been serviced. She took down my number and said she would call me right back. Two more hours had passed and I received no calls from anyone. After numerous calls back and forth with the folks at Myrtlewood, and an individual from Chicora, it seemed as if everyone just passed the buck, and no one took responsibility for the fact that we were without our belongings due to a malfunctioning elevator on their property! My bag was lost and no one knew what had happened to it, nor did they care or try to handle the situation. It was stated more than once that it wasn't "their responsibility" to make sure our bag was retrieved from the elevator. From my understanding, the manager Michael was even involved and knew about the situation and didn't take the initiative as the manager to contact me and ease my worries about where our bag was. I had to seek him out, finally, when the rest of the staff there failed to provide me with concrete answers as to why our bag was not handled properly. I did not find out until MONDAY that my bag had been found, however, no one could tell me what happened to it, and why no one knew where it was until Monday. If it had been handled properly, and if it had been brought back to the office as requested, our friends could have brought it back with them when they checked out that Sunday. This was the most HORRIBLE experience, and I plan to spread the word...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Wilsokm1
myrtlew, Manager at Myrtlewood Villas, responded to this review, 17 July 2011
I was upset to see this review to say the least. We did retrieve her bag of lost shoes, and we did pay for the shipping of the package. I talked with this guest on the phone several times regarding the situation she was put in and as soon as I found all the information needed to resolve the problem I acted accordingly. I spoke with guest again today to see if she had received the package and let her know to call me when it comes so we will have closer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
Bourg, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Myrtlewood Villas is dirty and disgusting with management that doesn't really care!!!!!!! Upon arrival, unit was so dirty and mildew smelling, that we didn't wanna put our luggage down. Human feces was still on toilet seat and toilet bowl. Bathroom vents full of dirt and dust. Looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. Old used shampoo bottles still in the showers. King size beds were actually two beds pieced together with a piece of foam shoved in the middle to bridge the gap. Couch oily and very dirty. Clean sheet had to be placed over it, before we would let our children sit on it. and thats just a few things i could remember. After complaining to management who did nothing about it, we were forced to clean the entire condo ourselves. Do yourselves and don't ruin your vacation by staying here like we did. Find yourself something alot cleaner and with management willing to make your stay enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 Thank careyb1111

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2011

We stayed at Myrtlewood Villas this past week for a number of nights and were highly impressed! It was a few minutes away from the beach and Broadway at the beach. We had a villa on the bottom floor which looked out upon the golf course and it was just really nice. It was more like staying at a friends house than a hotel and I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: We got the best deal on Hotels.com for this villa
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 June 2011

Pos
Our villa with 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a living room and an open kitchen was on the second floor (no elevator) with a stunning view to the golf course, a small stream with ducks and trees. Beautiful and very quiet. The villa was spacious and the kitchen well equipped. But the room is very hard to review, the rooms are privately owned and designed and equipped individually!!! - There are several pools around, mostly 1 pool for about 5 buildings. The pool was nice, surrounded by trees and bushes. (Unfortunately there was practically no shadow and no umbrellas.) Behind the reception is a fitness room (with public WIFI) and an indoor pool with a lazy river. Our kids loved that, too. The location of the Hotel is about 10 minutes from Myrtle Beach.

Conx
Some staff was unfriendly, some was ok-friendly. Our villa did not have Internet, what was annoying. But we could walk to the fitness room where was an open WIFI. (Some other villas might have Internet/WiFi.). But there were 2 things we absolutely did not like: 1) in our villa was a long hair carpet. The looks and feels nice but ist absolutely not hygienical. Also the dinner table (what was like a bar table, very high) stood an this carpet... I do not imagine what had dropped or poured down from there to and into this carpet... 2) There were flakes and some white hairs on the armchair. Disgusting! So it did not look like the sofa/armchair and the carpet were hoovered very well. I informed the front desk about and they told to let housekeeping clean (again). And to my astonishment there also popped up a man - unfortunately a bit late (4h later), so I already had cleaned it myself. The bathrooms and the kitchen were clean.

summary
All in all a very nice play to stay and absolutey inexpensive. And with some luck you get a room with a beautiful view on second or third floor.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank trollissimo
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 June 2011

The villa we stayed in was awesome, my husband brought me here for my birthday weekend. They could have told us before me booked that there was a $100 deposit hold they were going to put on our credit card. Then it said a kings size bed but it was really two twin beds pushed together. I love the little swans they made out of the wash cloths and the balcony view was nice. I even liked the lazy pool other than too much chlorine. The we had a two room condo and the rooms were very cleans no complaints.

1 Thank Sunshine830106
cheshire UK
Reviewed 4 June 2011

our apartment was clean and comfortable .the bed was kingsize and the bedlinen was clean and fresh as too were the towels .the kitchen was well equipt . we had atwo toilets ,one in the bathroom and another in the cloakroom in the hall. the only "moan" really was that the room didnt have internet connection and we had to go to the fitness suite to use the computer ,apart from that our stay was very good .

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GillcheshireUK
Raleigh, Nc
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Myrtlewood is ok. Most of the units are well worn and a little shabby. The kitchens have been subject to attrition and the last two we rented were short on silverware, cooking utensils, and glassware. The price in May was great per night, but the room taxes and fees amounted to over 25% of the final bill. This goes along with Myrtle Beach as a whole with their huge taxes on the tourists. Lodging tax 13% + individual taxes and fees added by every hotel and condo-sales tax 9%-meals tax-11.5%, etc. The local govt. is bragging how it is rebating property taxes to the residents based on the haul they're making from taxing the tourists. When booking accomodations, be sure to get the final total before you decide to go to Myrtle Beach. For us, we'll not be going back until the tax burden on the tourist is recognized and reduced as it has been for the local residents.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family