“Cut Off the Loud Pool Music....Marina Dunes Better”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Pinehurst
“Cut Off the Loud Pool Music....Marina Dunes Better”
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Good overall for Myrtle but this is not a real AAA 4Star property. Room condition good, desk/food service good and location by beach very good. Bad is $10 a day self park where you have to walk 100 yards to door, $13 a day wifi (when the cheap Marriotts down the street offer it at no charge), non English-speaking maids who can't get your room clean until 3.45 or clear the hallways of bags of dirty sheets/towels and a manager who thinks everyone by the pool should listen to the music HE selects at LOUD volume. Honestly, with everyone over 12 having their own music and earbuds why dictate I listen to Nascar theme songs instead of beach sounds? Adult management is more obvious at Marina Dunes.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ritzytopaz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Coastal South Carolina, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2011

I live in the area but wanted a weekend away. The pros: room was spacious, had a decent view. Hotel had multiple pools, spa (with steam and sauna), restaurant, fitness room and gift shop. Also, room service which I felt was delicious and fairly quick but perhaps a little expensive. The cons: pricey for the off season, view was only out directly in front and one side, couldn't open other curtains as there was a building directly next next door. I wanted a room a balcony and got one but the balcony was tiny so two chairs and a small side table only could fit. Spa is very expensive but I have used before as a local. I like the setting and service so I continue to use spa but it does cost a pretty penny if you get multiple services. Last, two BIG cons in my book were the housekeeping and noise. The room was clean when I arrived and continued to be clean but they disturbed me several times each morning. The first morning knocked on my door at 9:30 to inquire if I was checking out. At 10:15, they came again. I was not checking out. The next day, at 9:45 am they did the same. I told them this day, yes but not until closer to 11:00. They came AGAIN about 15 minutes later. While, I was up all of these times and did not have do not disturb sign on door I still felt that this was poor communication with staff. I have been to many hotels where your room is cleaned etc and you barely see housekeeping staff--- it cheapened the establishment.

The noise was an issue for me only because I kept my balcony doors open to hear the ocean, I expected of course to hear the ocean and perhaps other guests. The first full day I was there was a Friday and I heard a bothersome continual loud motor which I found out later was a pressure washer truck. I know they need to clean the building but this ran continually from 8:30 AM to dusk around 7:00 pm. The next day, a Saturday wasn't as bad. The pool was being cleaned from around 8:00 am to when I checked out. It was cleaned by a person using some type of motorized vacuum. Anyway, I was on the fifth floor and wondered how loud these things were for the people below me.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This really was a nice hotel. Big rooms, great lobby and decor, great workout room, beautiful pools. Even the non-ocean view rooms had nice views. Parking was fairly convenient. It is a circuitous walk to the beach, but the beach access is easy and the beach is nice. Cannot see the ocean from the pool because of the trees, however.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Irmo
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Nice, large rooms, friendly staff. Meeting rooms were large and food was good.
Beds were nice.
Pool area was great.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 23 September 2011

This was our second hotel for our week at Myrtle beach last summer. We first went to the Courtyard a little bit away to burn some free night certificates then went here. The view was excellent and the kids had a blast at the pool and beach. The easy access to the beach was also a plus since my wife loves the beach. I have to write this review because we are currently looking to purchase a new mattress and when I asked my wife what she wanted, she said whatever mattress they had here. My wife frequently tosses and turns and wakes up in pain, so I'm currently in the process of finding out what kind of mattress they use.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Navarre, Florida
Reviewed 21 September 2011

Wonderful hotel. Family of 6.. four adults, 2 children. Rooms were adjoining and well appointed. Children ages 3 and 7months had nothing to do with parents...no kids pool or outside play area. No restroom connecting to indoor pool which meant that one had to walk a long hallway with a toddler to potty. children not allowed to use spa restrooms that connected to indoor pool.Resturants were delicious. overall an excellent hotel

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Gail E
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Great service from the valets to the front desk to room service. All good. Defintiely reccomend. Excellent beachfront property.

Room Tip: Of course, asking for a ocean side room is more expensive.