“Love this place!”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #13 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stay at the Marriott Grande Dunes every year for a conference, and we always love it. But this year, the staff seemed especially helpful and nice. Our oceanview king room was wonderful and the bed was very comfortable. We love eating at the poolside cafe! And the conference went off without a hitch. What a great place to have a business meeting!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes

Reviewed 26 May 2012

Stayed four nights in May for a conference. Almost everything was as expected from a resort of this quality - pools, beach, rooms all great. Banquet staff and bell staff were great, but the concierge was little rough and seemed distracted by some reorganization project they had underway. The most disappointing thing about the stay was the front desk staff. Upon check in, they seemed overwhelmed and became surly and defensive over the simplest requests. After the great bell staff as a first impression, things went downhill quickly. Funny thing is, they all have nametags that say 'Assistant Manager', so if this is true you would expect an even higher level of service. Many of us had problems with cell phone reception, particularly in the meeting rooms on the lower level. I would return with my family for vacation, but maybe not with a large conference group again. You also must rent a car, because you have to drive to everything and cabs are expensive and a bit of a pain to track down once you are off the property.

Room Tip: You want ocean view, not 'resort view'. The closer to the beach/ pool side of the hotel, the...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes Myrtle Beach and we couldn't have asked for more from this resort. The rooms were clean and the overall service was truly five star. The front desk staff were great and gave us some excellent ideas on where to eat and things to do in the area. If you are in Myrtle Beach, this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Get an oceanview room, with a balcony, as the views are beautiful.
1  Thank Carroll K
Reviewed 19 May 2012

It's sad, really, that hundreds of dollars per night for a room doesn't even get you a parking space nor Internet access nor a bit of food.

$10.90 per night to park your car. $13.95 for 24 hours of Internet access. Food is, of course, over-priced, and nothing is included. If you want a cushioned lounge chair by the pool, you have to pay for it. If you want a chair on the beach, you have to pay for it.

Our room (an "oceanfront King" with a lovely balcony that had two chairs and a small table) was fairly clean and fairly large, but also absolutely unremarkable in its decor. The carpet was old, worn, and stained. The bed skirts were ridiculously wrinkly (just iron or steam them one time, Marriott, and you won't have to do it again for months!). The walls of the room were "popcorn" stucco (ugly), the ceilings were REALLY low. The paintings were ugly and in ancient, faux-gold frames. The plugs (for laptops, cell phones, etc.) were too far from the bed for my taste. The shower curtain had big, black stains on it (not mold, it looked like grease or something). The bathroom was TINY and there was really only room for one person to be using the sink/mirror at a time. I wish they had utilized some of the empty, useless space in the room and made the bathroom much bigger.

Room service was pretty nice. The food was pretty good quality (though, of course, VERY expensive). We ordered their chocolate molten cake and bananas foster for dessert--that was a mistake. The bananas foster was NOT lit in the room, but in the kitchen before making the trip up to us so it was lukewarm and sad-looking by the time it arrived at our 11th-floor room. The chocolate cake wasn't as hot as we would've liked it. However, the shrimp cocktail was decent (would've liked more cocktail sauce, though...and, of course, four shrimp for $14 is expensive), the blue cheese burger was delicious, and the tuna three ways was a bit flavorless, though the tuna ceviche was quite tasty.

The weather was terrible (cloudy, windy, high of 69 degrees) when we were there, so we decided to go to the indoor pool and hot tub. The indoor hot tub was hot, but it was really dirty with lots of debris floating in it. The floor surrounding the indoor swimming pool and hot tub was filthy. There was hair, lint, dirt ALL Over the floor around the pool. It was truly disgusting.

It was a very quiet time at the resort with not many guests staying there. This was good for us--we got to go down the outdoor water slide as many times as we wanted without waiting in line--you're never too old for it!); we were in the outdoor hot tub the evening we arrived for at least an hour watching the sunset (it was cloudy but still pretty) and we were the ONLY people in the whole outdoor pool area the entire time! It was also very peaceful--we kept our balcony doors open all night long and enjoyed listening to the waves crashing.

Although we did enjoy the outdoor hot tub (which was HUGE, but also not very warm) and the water slide, I don't feel like this place is worth the money it costs.

This hotel is far north of the main Myrtle Beach drag so it's quite a drive, but there are plenty of restaurants within a couple miles drive. The beach was pretty quiet when we were there (again, it was cloudy, windy, and a high of 69 the day we were there), but the sand is nice.

Oh yeah, and the concierge cracked me up with his humorlessness. I said, "We want to do it up Myrtle Beach style, so I'm wondering if you can recommend a clean, nice seafood buffet for dinner tonight." He replied without cracking a smile, "We're not allowed to recommend any of the seafood buffets. They use frozen seafood." It's fine if he can't recommend any of them (though I'm sure most people don't get sick at them), but I can't believe he wasn't amused by my friendly smile and wit! I mean, I'm sorry concierge, but your hotel is at Myrtle Beach--possibly the trashiest, most redneck beach destination in the USA. You're not in NYC, dude, so chill it out.

Room Tip: Try and get a high floor room for the best views. I'd say the Oceanfront rooms with balconies a...
4  Thank claired13
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I loved this place and my husband who never wants to go anywhere (he is a major homebody) loved it too! He even wants to return next year. I loved everything about this hotel.

I picked this hotel because it was right on the beach. I got a little bit of a deal because I did the stay 3 nights and get the 4th night free. I have stayed at Marriott's before and always had a wonderful experience. I wanted a nice place to stay were I felt safe and comfortable. This Marriott did not disappoint. I realize that people think that $250+ a night is a lot to spend but I feel that it is worth it. I loved that I could wake up and not even get out of the bed and see the ocean.

My husband loved that the fact that when he got hungry while sitting by the pool he could raise his flag and someone would run over to get what ever he needed.

We also dined at hotel for breakfast and the buffet was really good. For $18 I could have a large variety of items from eggs and bacon to pancakes to fruit to bagels.

Room Tip: Spend the money to get an ocean front room with a balcony! I was so worth it!
2  Thank Heather T
Reviewed 18 May 2012

OK to me a hotel being right on the beach is a a big plus so this hotel had me at that alone. I Am I too easy to please? This hotel is a good distance from the main tourist areas of Myrtle Beach. So it is an excellent location to get away from it all. It is possible to get a cab to theses areas and I would not recommend walking unless you do so very often and over long distances. I was only there for one day but would have definitely stayed longer had time permitted. The beach at Grande Dunes seems to stretch almost endlessly in either direction from the hotel. The staff did seem to be in a good and friendly mood during the time I was there and I won't bore with the standard recitation of the appearance/cleanliness/friendliness of staff. I did find it met or exceeded my expectations in these areas so enough on these topics. The nice thing about this hotel is I could actually relax here and not feel obligated to do anything else. My balcony faced the ocean and the breeze off the ocean and the sound of the waves in the room was a nice change of pace. The lobby "Bar" as they call it seemed to have more customers than any other lobby bar I have ever seen. The service was good and the food selection seemed ample and did not seem over priced in the least for a beach hotel. The beaches in this area is among the nicest I have visited anywhere. It did seem a little subdued I guess the water was not too warm when I was there did not see many in the water for very long. There was a wedding a the hotel as well and I would expect this would be an excellent location for this for several reasons. Again I must admit I did not stay here nearly long enough -- kind of booked this at the last minute but would not hesitate to return. Will return soon.

Room Tip: Get the room with the balcony it is so worth the additional coin.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2012

I have stayed at the Marriott Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach numerous times, and it has always been wonderful. It is a lovely hotel right on the beach. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They have a fun lobby bar and a great pool with a private cabana area. It is in a great location with lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. I always look forward to my stay there. Beach views from the rooms are amazing.

Room Tip: The rooms with the view of the pool and beach are fantastic!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business