“Wonderful family experience”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed here the last week of July and loved every minute of it. The rooms are average size, but ours was clean and attractive with a great view of the pool and the ocean. We also found the entire staff to be friendly and attentive to our needs and requests. More importantly, the two pools are large and have shallow areas for children. The water slide is separate and so fun for all ages. This was great entertainment for our kids. People do reserve seats by the pool early so if that's where you want to be go early or late afternoon. We set up at the beach, but went back to the slide and pool during the day. It was an easy walk to the beach and not crowded. I would suggest bringing your own chairs, their chairs and umbrellas are crammed together and they put them away @4. The food and drinks at the restaurant by the pool were all good and the service quick. I did not think it was overly expensive as others have said. You are staying at a resort on the beach. My kids took part in the cookie making activity and loved it. They are in the kitchen with the chef (he was great with the kids) and they came away with lots of cookies!

The hotel was convienent to restaurants, mini golf, grocery stores and shopping. We used the concierge for information and for some reservations. That proved to be very helpful.

Things I wish they had.. bigger refrigerator, microwave and towel bars or hooks for bath towels and swim suits. Also they have Starbucks coffee in the gift shop, but I would like to see a full service Starbucks and better quick food offerings.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed 5 August 2012

The Marriott Resort is a wonderful beachfront resort. The staff is very friendly. The grounds are beautiful, and the location on the beach is perfect. There are a number of pools to enjoy. The rooms are spacious. The food at the resort is good for hotel food. The property has a nice spa for special pampering.
The indooor pool is small, and so is the fitness room. But I guess if you are at the ocean the hotel does not expect the guests to stay in doors.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Ann D
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We checked in early on July 29th and were given a room then. Front desk staff very friendly. My husband travels extensively for work so we had plenty of Marriott points to use for this girls week trip! Certainly glad I didn't spend hard earned money to stay here!! Although, I did spend 145,000 points for this 5 night stay. I spent 25,000 points to upgrade to a partial ocean view which we did receive but also got a nice view of the roof as well. My husband is a gold member of the Marriott rewards program. Wonder what kind of room you get if you're not in the rewards program???
The room was small for 3 adult women. Beds were comfortable but the air conditioning didn't work properly,it was set on 66 degrees all week but felt like high 70's to 80. On the wall behind the tv there were dust bunnies everywhere & a grape on the floor when we got to the room. It took 2 days for housekeeping to pick up that grape. Also, a few days later there was an index card sized piece of paper on the floor that housekeeping moved under the bed. They never did pick it up! One morning the local newspaper was left outside our door for us but the rest of the time we received the USA Today. When I asked at the front desk for the local paper they told me I could purchase one in the gift shop. Pool area was nice but drinks at the bar were WAY overpriced!! For example, a small bottle of water cost $3.50 but you can get the same bottle of water at the front desk for free! Overall, I would not stay here again even using points! Especially using points. Very disappointed in this Marriott.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rew417
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes at the end of July and have nothing but positive things to say about our stay. We were a last minute reservation and our room was ready for check in early...very impressive! Overall the property was clean... our room was clean and housekeeping was very attentive to our needs. The property is well maintained and the pools were always clean. The staff was friendly and outgoing. It does cost a little more than other places but it is far worth it for the overall quality that the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes provides. We will be staying here again!

2  Thank asdmf
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We were in town for the Cal Ripken Experience tournament and had a great trip stay. Every team member we encountered was very friendly and always said hello to me and my children. Kudos to our room attendant; with three kids she left us extra towels which I greatly appreciate.

I want to give special recognition to the valet team. They were so wonderful, friendly and professional. Three really stood out. The supervisor was fantastic, there was another gentleman with dark hair; also very friendly and accommodating. The other gentleman was from NC. I wish I could find where I wrote down their names. They are fantastic and remembered us and asked us about the tournament each day. They do a fantastic job! Again, thank you to the supervisor of that department. They all get it! Making you feel special goes a long way with me.

My kids loved the apples at the desk as well.

The pool was great; plenty of towels and again every staff member were very friendly and willing to help with whatever we needed.

Great experience! Stay here when going to Myrtle Beach!

1  Thank Sprtzfam M
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I have been a loyal Marriott vacationer for years. Prior to my staying here, I read a review on Tripadvisor which gave them low ratings based on their cleanliness. I should have believed what I read! My room was dirty upon arrival and during my five night stay. They didn't clean the mirrors, sweep the floors or even come close to meeting the standards of other Marriott properties. I arrived after 9:30 pm and was supposedly given the last room which overlooked the roof---pretty bad for a gold status customer! I must say that the pools and slide were well maintained and pool towels were always available. The front desk employees need to return to training as they were rude and definitely not up to Marriott standards. Some of this could be overlooked if I was staying at one of Marriott's cheaper properties, but at well over $200/night, it was a huge disappointment and not consistent with the Marriott service that I have come to respect.

Room Tip: You get what they give you.....I tried to prearrange my room knowing that I would be arriving in the...
6  Thank Christine R
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We flew from the west coast to Raleigh and drove, having left for travels at 7am. We arrived to the hotel at 10:15pm to check in. Despite no other guest checking in, the front desk had two staff doing everything but checking in, including microwaving food. After waiting 10minutes, the assistant manager Katie Downs checked me in with a comment that I arrived late. As a platinum rewards member frequent traveler who paid $330/night and travelled over 8 hours, I found her rude and simply the worst service. The room was tiny, overlooking the parking lot. My profile asks for extra towels, there were three bath towels for 4 people. 1 king bed n a roll away. The bellman was helpful, but if this is the way they treat a platinum rewards member (highest loyalty level for them) ...let us just assume that a regular member will experience worse. Avoid this hotel if you can, simply not the way you want to spend your money and free time. It is not relaxing and staff are disruptive to a nice trip. Paid too much and got too little. Will not stay here again. Parking $18 valet, $10 self park. Bell men informative and nice. Front desk assistant manager did not even now the marriott rewards website when they tried to help another guest sign up, it is no surprise as they treated this platinum member with no service so why even be loyal to them and sign up?

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel
6  Thank pickyreno