“Nickel and Dimed and Cold”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My wife, daughter, mother and I recently stayed here because I had signed up for a continuing education conference which was held here, so I had no choice but book this hotel.

The hotel is surrounded by several other properties, so just finding the entrance is a challenge for a first-time visitor. Once to the front door, I noticed a sign stating that valet parking was $18.00, but I was relieved to discover that this is optional. What is not optional is a $10.00 + tax per day parking fee. .

The room was clean but plain. The two beds were very tiny as was the television. Queen sized beds would have been much more comfortable.

Internet service is about $15.00 per day or about $40.00 per week. Even the business center charges for internet service. The on-site restuarant was way over-priced at about $30.00 per meal per person. Ridiculous.

I think they were getting ready to hang meat in the conference room because it was so cold. Almost everyone in the meeting was complaining about being cold. Not until the final day of the conference was the temperature comfortable.

Every night, just as we all were dosing off to sleep, the people that lived in the house next to the hotel set off very loud fireworks for 30-45 minutes. Nice.

On the plus side, the pool area was very nice and clean, the front desk staff was pleasant and the elevators were speedy, but we will be looking for conferences being held elsewhere next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Tim B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed over the 4th of July week. The rooms are basic Marriott rooms, nothing special. The location is great and the ocean view is nice. One huge downside... If you don't wake up at 5 am and reserve pool chairs you will not be able to sit poolside. It really is a poorly run set up. We enjoyed the onsite restaurant for breakfast one morning. The food and service were good but completely over priced at over $30 per person. We did sit at the bar one evening and over looked the ocean. The view was amazing and the service was decent.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Hemming6
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Best part was the pool area; beautiful & exactly what i expect from a Marriot resort. Rooms were nothing to brag about; comfy beds but for price i would expect queen size beds and free wireless internet. Cant believe they charge $10+ tax for self parking, and even more for valet (per day). Drinks & food very expensive; naturally. Pricey, but i would probably stay again d/t great pool area.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Enomis1101
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Attended a conference for 4 days at this hotel and the service wasn't really bad, it was more..non existent. Rooms for the conference workshops were not setup on time, some rooms were to small for the amount of people in attendance, equipment not setup, etc. and the first afternoon of the conference, the Bar and Grill on the back patio were not open for business. No one knew where to get lunch. I personally found the General Manager to express the lack of proper administration of the conference attendees. They did fix all the items we brought to their attention and made sure the Grill was open the rest of the days. The rooms were very nice and no issues with cleanliness and the location right on the beach is perfect. There are some good restaurants nearby which you can take the hotel shuttle to get to, which is free and a nice offering. The pools are very nice and well maintained.

Room Tip: Like most beach hotels, you have the beach side and the 'other' side....but you can see the...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This hotel was very nice. I was there for 3 nights for a conference and have zero complaints. It is a bit pricey so be prepared. Pool was great, outdoor bar was great, lounge was great and it is on the beach. The staff were all very friendly, but you do have to pay for parking.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Recently stayed here during a business conference my husband was attending, so we didn't actually "choose" to stay here. So glad the conference was here though - we like this place! First and foremost, the service is fantastic. Each and every person on the staff that we encountered went out of their way to say hello, to help out, to engage us, etc. We had a corner room (I believe it was handicap accessible) that, although a little odd in the setup, had fantastic views on 2 sides of the hotel - a balcony with an unobstructed view of the ocean, and another sliding glass door on the side wall that faced the ocean from an angle (so you could look down the beach).

Pool areas were nice and were kept very clean. Our 6 yr old loved the water slide! Of course, you do have to deal with the issue of the rude folks who go down at 7:00 a.m. and put towels on the chairs to "save" them while they waltz off to breakfast or wherever and don't return until the afternoon, thereby tying up the best chairs for the better part of a day for no particular reason. One of these days resorts are going to realize they need to put some effort into policing this activity, but I'll get off my soapbox for now.

A few minor things stopped me from giving the place 5 stars (a little pricey; stains on the shower curtain; coffee was not restocked properly), otherwise, a fantastic resort! I'm not a Myrtle Beach fan, but this resort made it worthwhile.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I took my mother & sister for their birthdays this year. My husband & I have Marriotts Rewards points & we were able to stay for "free" using our points. The staff was beyond wonderful. Every person we met, except for one bartender at the outside/pool bar, were very helpful & nice. We valeted my car & never had to wait more than five minutes for it to arrive & all the guys working the valet stand were friendly & helpful. The pool area was great. Lots of chairs. We didn't mind the lack of shade that another reviewer had mentioned but we were there to sun, lol. It's also great that you can put the flag up on your chair poolside & a waitress is there promptly to take your order. Now the down sides to the resort. Our room was very small & nothing special. The furniture was worn & dinged & the bathroom was old. There was no exhaust fan in the bathroom so we had to shower with the door open because it got so hot in there! There was no balcony on our room & that was disappointing but they did "upgrade" us when we checked in to a beach view room instead of the resort view I originally booked. Also, we asked for two queen sized beds & they were not queen size. They were full sized. Thank goodness my Mom & sister are tiny, each under five feet tall & barely weigh 100 lbs. They slept in the same bed while I took the other since I'm larger than they are. Getting back to the one rude bartender at the outdoor bar... We sat there for quite some time & was never acknowledged. We finally had to ask him for a drink, needless to say he was not tipped. Not sure I'll ever stay here again because of the lack luster rooms. You also have to pay $12.95 for 24 hours of WiFi. I called down to the front desk & they took the charge off my bill. You are not allowed to take coolers down to the pool so be aware of that. They will make you take it back to your room.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family