Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #13 of 210 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Business Stay”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This past week i spent 3 nights at the Marriott Resort at Grande Dunes. From the time I entered to my departure, the service, food, staff and amenities were perfect. I ordered room service and the steak was as good as at any steak restaurant as was their main dinning room.

I spend a great deal of my business calling on beach resorts and always walk on the beach. the Marriotts is as good as it gets.

Room Tip: I like lower floors as i need to move in and out in a hurry
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Nicely placed, well kept property. Beautiful pool & beach areas. Nice bar on site with a pretty view. In particular would like to give specials thanks to Greg, the concierge. When you stay, definitely seek him out. He gave us fantastic advice for dining & did not disappoint on any of those recommendations. Thanks, Greg!
Also, special thanks to Hibiscus spa ---- Hannah in particular for giving me 2 hours of heaven! Also, to the spa receptionists....although they didn't have an opening for me they took my information & I was lucky enough to take advantage of someone else's cancellation.
Things I think they could do to improve:
1) free chairs/umbrellas at the beach
2) 1st come 1st serve on nice chairs/umbrellas pooliside (if there aren't enough, buy more!)

NC
Reviewed 9 September 2012

When we walked into the lobby the first thing my husband and I noticed was the strong scent of artificial vanilla. Our first thought was no big deal, maybe it is suntan oil. Upon arrival to our room we both noticed the air fresher scent was becoming stronger. Once in the room neither of us could breathe. We unloaded or things and ran out to get a quick bite.

When we returned we were so overwhelmed by the strong smell of air freshner that we asked the front desk for another room. I also brought to his attention the note on our reservation stating my sensitivity to allergiens. He apologized for overlooking the memo and sent us to new room that had a ozone refresher running.

This room too was smothered with air freshner. At this point my eyes were burning so badly I had blurred vision and my throat burned. My husband is usually not sensitive to these types of things, but he too was being affected.

The front desk cancelled out reservations without a penalty. He told us the smell was standard for Marriott which I quickly corrected him. We always stay at Marriott's all over the world and have never had this issue.
By the time we gathered our belongings and left I had a headache, blurred vision and my throat and lungs hurt. While I do have allergies I have never had this type of experience.

The lobby and pool area are clean and beautiful. The rooms are worn down and small. It felt more like a motel than a Marriott resort.

2 Thank stcy_kllr
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 8 September 2012

The staff and hotel were very clean. We had an oceanview room, with no balcony which was a little disappointing. We ordered room service and enjoyed everything but their She Crab Soup. I am from Charleston, SC originally and it was so terrible it made me sick. They should really get a Charleston recipe and make it correctly. All in all we had a wonderful stay, the pool was wonderful!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We stayed here for my birthday as part of a "Preview Package" for the Villas next door. It is a wonderful and well kept facility on the northern part of Myrtle Beach proper.

What we Loved:
- The staff was amazing. Everyone was friendly and accomodating. They even made me "Happy Birthday" pancackes and gave us a free lava cake too. The bartenders, wait staff, etc. all made the experience great.
- Pool and Beach. Very clean, big and well kept. Lots of chairs, though you it does get crowded on high season days. After the Labor Day weekend we found it so much easier to get whatever chair you want, included those with umbrellas which are key. On the beach you can rent umbrellas which is worth it for at least one day.
- Rooms- big and spacious with a great bed. We didn't have a view, but who cares.

The Less Than Great Stuff:
- The lobbies and public spaces are over air-conditioned.
- The spa was fine but small and I didn't find their services worth the cost.

Bottom line- we will be back!

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2012

This is an awesome resort. You'll feel like you are at one of the Bahama Resorts...except for the blue/green water, of course. My husband and I went for a little R&R and that is exactly what we got. We basically went from our chairs by the pool, to the hammocks that had stereo speakers beside them based at the palm trees. All the music was fabulous. We never heard a bad song. They were all great! Then from the hammocks to the water slide, shot a few hoops (which I've never done in my bathing suit before!!), then to corn hole, then to the pool (there are 2!) then to lunch at the Cove (the little sandwhich restaurant next to the pools) and back to our chairs again. Yep, that's it! We did nothing and it was fabulous!!
One of the things we wanted to do was have breakfast at the restaurant overlooking the pools and the ocean, but the restaurant didn't open until lunch. That was the only disappointment we had. We had coffee in our room and my husband went down to get us a muffin at the coffee/gift shop.
Other than that, we would definitley go back and in fact, I'm sure we will!

Room Tip: Rooms with an ocean view are just that...a small view. Overall the rooms were just average, but the...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2012

My family and I have been going to MB for the past 15 years and have stayed at a number of properties in the area. After not visitng for 3 yrs, we book a stay at the Marriott and it will now our favorite place to stay when visiting the area. The rooms are spacious and clean and, if it is within your budget, request an ocean front room. Those rooms have balconies where you can sit and have a drink and just watch the waves. This is a very classy hotel without the tackiness that is sometimnes found in MB properties. Even though there was a convention there at the same time we stayed, the hotel never seemed over crowded and there was always plenty of room in in the pool and by the beach. If you enjoy just relaxing, I would recommend renting the cabana chairs located just off the pool area. The rental is $30 per day, but you get 2 bottles of water, a bowl of fruit and a great area of shade to chill out and unwind.
While my family and I will stay here on our return trips to the area, I do have 3 small complaints that I would like to see the hotel address:
1. No in-room movies. It rained one night during our stay and my wife and I wanted to watch a movie after dinner but that entertainment option is not availible.
2. No shade by the pool. It would be nice if the pool area offered some umbrellas for people who do not want to just lay in the sun.
3. The food in the hotel was good, but with only 1 restaurant and an outdoor grill the food choices were a littel limited. You could eat lunch or dinner in the bar, but it was the same menu as the other restaurant..a little variety would be nice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family