Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 25 October 2013

hotel lobby, pool side was very opulent. however, inside hot tub was luke warm at best, even after letting it run for an hour. i asked the foreign gentleman who was cleaning up around pool about this and he told me to let it run for 10 min and it would heat up. it never did. they did have one outside that happened to be working. beds were uncomfortable. they were too soft and worn out in the middle to the point that you felt like you were rolling towards the center. very difficult to sleep next to anyone, especially since the air conditioner did not work properly. the thermostat had to be set on 46 degrees before the room started cooling. of course you had to keep getting out of bed to do this. we only stayed two nights so there was not much point in complaining and then moving to another room. i feel like a hotel should check these things before the customer arrives. also, once the room cooled off we kept the a/c on while we went out for the day so it would stay cool. naturally the maid turned the thermo back to 72 degees so it was not cool when we returned. thankfully it was cool that night and we decided to sleep with window open. also, the breakfast at the downstairs restaurant was $17.50 PER PERSON. that is ridiculous. also, what kind of hotel does not have free coffee for their guests??? i guess they want you to pay for their overpriced starbucks downstairs. not going to happen. we were able to get this room at a discount but still paid as much as a hampton inn. the only difference, at hampton inn you get what you pay for. bottom line, unless you just like throwing away money because it makes you feel good, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank william h
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear william h,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the resort. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and felt that the resort was over rated. We apologize that the hot tub did not get up to desired temperature. We are also sorry that the bed was not comfortable and that the air conditioning was not working properly in your room. We understand how frustrating this must have been for you and we are sorry that it negatively impacted your stay. Please know that if you had notified an associate right away about these issues, we would have been happy to help fix these problems, so that you could have enjoyed your stay. We are sorry to hear that you felt the breakfast buffet was too expensive. With the omelet station, enhanced belgian waffle station, fresh salmon, and lots of hot and cold breakfast items, it is typically a big hit among our guests. Just so you know, we do offer an a la carte menu as well and there is complimentary coffee in the sleeping rooms. We wish you great travels, where ever your next vacation may take you.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

This hotel was expensive and not worth the cost. First, even though we had reservations made well in advance, when we arrived around 2 pm, they informed us there were no king bed rooms available in the area we were supposed to stay. They offered us 2 double beds on the side of the hotel with a partial view of the ocean and beach which we took as they had no king rooms remaining. The air conditioner worked ok in the middle of the night, but during the day, the sun came streaming in and it got rather warm in the room. The beds were not that comfortable. The room was not very large, but did have a desk and the internet worked. The shower was nice and plenty of hot water was always available. Parking was a nightmare as you have to walk a long way to get parked even though they do have a garage. The pool was nice and their banquet facilities and convention rooms were good. All in all this hotel was a very big disappointment compared to other ocean front hotels and I definitely would look for another of the many hotels in the area if I were choosing the location for a convention or family outing.

Room Tip: The rooms on the side with the partial view of the ocean are extremely warm during the day unless yo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Dear DebbieRumfield,

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay and that we were not able to honor your request for a king bed. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your bed and felt that the parking garage was too far from the hotel. If a room was available, we would have been happy to move you to a room that suited you better and it sounds like valet would have been a great option for you. We always try to maintain Marriott's high quality standards and we apologize that we fell short in this instance. We wish you a wonderful time where ever your next trip may take you.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Stayed on the 15th floor facing ocean. Awesome view overlooking pools below! Staff was awesome, restaurant was very good, especially the breakfast. Hotel parking is a short walk. Easy walk to the beach. Room was clean and with all the amenities you would want. Perfect place for a short stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear PeteB01,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your short stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and all of the resort's amenities. We appreciate the feedback. Hopefully you can stay longer on your next trip!

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Wonderful staff...secluded location w great beach. All services very good...ask for an ocean view. Thanksgiving brunch is the best in the area. Starbucks in the gift shop...hotel restaurant is very good as well.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Robert W,

Thank you for your fantastic review of the resort. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoy everything that we have to offer. We hope to have you back again this year for Thanksgiving brunch. We have another great menu in store!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed for three nights in October and had a wonderful stay. Our room was handicap accessible and there was plenty of room for my husband to get around in his wheelchair. We had a side view room on the sixth floor and the view was great!! There were a couple of events going on right below us on the terrace and we could hear everything so if this is a concern to you I would ask for a room on a higher floor. The grounds are beautiful with plenty of hammocks and lounging chairs to laze away the day. Beach access is great with a handicap ramp if you have trouble with stairs. We ordered room service one night and the service was excellent. The only problem we had was that my husband left his swiss army knife in the safe. We called the evening that we left to see if it had been turned in but the staff was not able to help us and referred us to the shipping and receiving department which is lost and found. They were not in at that time so I had to call back the next day...still had to leave a message. I got a call back the following day saying that they did not find it. We know that is where it was left so I guess the staff kept the knife. It wasn't very valuable monitarily, but it did have a lot of sentimental value to my husband since it was a gift from our son. So be sure to check the safe when you leave because you will not get it back if you leave it there!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sarah J,

We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words regarding your sleeping room and the pool and beach area. We are sorry about your missing swiss army knife. We did go through our standard channels to locate the knife and did have management search the room, but unfortunately it was not located. We do have all of your contact information, so if we are able to relocate it, we will most certainly get in touch with you. We hope to have you back for future vacations.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Stayed two nights in October. Beautiful property. The pools were absolutely beautiful and impressive to look at from our 12th floor Ocean View room. Happened to luck out and have one absolutely gorgeous October day, and it was nice and not crowded on the beach and at the pools. Sat poolside for cocktails, enjoyed the hot tub, water slide and pools. The outside is impressive, but the inside, especially the rooms, are showing wear and could use some TLC. It was still an enjoyable stay. We had been promised an upgrade, which was unavailable when we checked in. We were then promised breakfast in exchange by front desk check-in and told to come back in the morning. Of course, that person wasn't there the following morning, and we were brushed off. I do see a bit of a history of this type of stuff in other reviews of this hotel. Despite a couple of false fire alarms on Saturday morning, which was a bit of a pain, it was still a nice stay and we will return. It would be better business practice not to promise things that cannot be delivered, however.

Room Tip: If possible, do oceanfront. Ocean view are okay, but you need the ones at the end of the hotel towar...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear becinnc,

We are glad to hear that you thought the property was beautiful. It is great that you were able to relax at the pool and enjoy a cocktail. We are always looking for ways to improve and we appreciate your feedback regarding the sleeping rooms and promises by the front desk. I am sorry you had to go through this and completely understand how this negatively impacted your stay. Thank you for making us aware of this and in the future we will be sure there is better communication. Next time you make your way to Myrtle Beach, please contact the resort directly and we will make sure we get everything taken care of prior to your arrival. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel/resort for a business trip. It was a 5 day trip so I got to know the property pretty well. Of course being that I was there for work, I never got to enjoy the pool or the close proximity to the beach...Which is probably why most people stay here. Not me. Not this time.
The resort is located more in North Myrtle Beach so it's quite (and nicely) removed from the uber touristy parts of Myrtle Beach. It's tucked away as most of the hotels in this part of MB are.
As you drive up and walk in the lobby, it feels well maintained, nice and inviting as well. A nice welcome after traveling all day from Los Angeles. The common areas including the bar felt newish and not worn out. I don't know when this property was built but when you get to the rooms, you might be able to tell. But before I get into the cons, I'll speak to the good things first.
The service for the most part was very friendly and nice. You do feel like they care about their jobs and ready to help you.
As far as the food in the bar goes, I thought it was actually really good. And I say that with more enthusiasm because I've stayed at many many hotels and resorts and sometimes the food you get sitting at the bar isn't very good or creative. This was the complete opposite. I know it came from their adjoining restaurant which I guess says, that the restaurant is good too.
The breakfast buffet was the typical Marriott buffet that you get at any of their properties. BUT if you order off the menu, it's actually quite better. Here is the thing that I found was a little bizarre. When I was there they only had the buffet on Monday and Saturday. I know they weren't full during the week, but still seemed a little odd. Unless I missed it, it should be stated somewhere when the buffet is in progress and when it's not. Not the end of the world but for someone there for business, I prefer a buffet. BUT I will say that the food did come out pretty quickly when ordering from the menu.
Now onto the rooms. My room was nice and spacious. I ended up with a corner room with a nice ocean view so I was pleased. For those of you who care, there was a fridge in my room. Nice to have. So here is where the kind of disappointment comes in. I felt the rooms decor (as well as the hallway) felt a little dated and felt more like decor in a Courtyard Marriott. It was still clean but a total contrast from the lobby and the rest of the property. Nothing very lux about the room I must say. My other sort of negative had to come when calling down to the front desk. Without fail, every time I called down for my car whether it be the morning or evening, the phone rang an average of 15 times before anyone picked up. That is not a good response time especially if it was an emergency of sorts. I would say that this part was the most annoying to me.
Would I stay here again, when in MB? For sure. But next time I hope to enjoy the beach and pool. It looked very nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear TVtravelLA,

We are glad you got to stay with us for your business trip. Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the staff and the food. We are sorry that the buffet was not available the entire time you were here, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast off of the menu. We appreciate the feedback regarding the sleeping room decor. Thank you for telling us about the long response time when calling down to the front desk. We completely understand your frustration and we are sorry for how this negatively impacted your stay. We are always looking for ways to get better and we thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We look forward to having you back for a vacation, so you can take advantage of all the other amenities the resort has to offer.