“Great Accomodations/Lousy Banquet Food”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Spent four days at a Law Enforcement Conference at the Dunes. The accommodations and meeting rooms were excellent and the staff was tremendously helpful with the electronics. Parking and breakfasts were great and the coffee was some of the best I have ever drunk.

Unfortunately, the meal at the awards night dinner was perhaps the worst I have ever eaten at a conference: the steaks were either raw-red or shoe-leather overcooked and given without any regard for our preferences (no body asked us what we wanted-a plate was just given to us.) At our table of ten, only one person was able to eat their whole steak. The mashed potatoes and veggies were good but the red velvet cake was, again, inedible: it had not only dried out but had "crusted." Nobody at our table ate all of their cake. The meal was so inedible, I went out later just to get a hamburger as I was still hungry. No tea or coffee was given-if you wanted it, you had to go to a "special" table in the back of the room. I bet the Marriott probably charged $40 per plate for this meal AND IT WASN'T WORTH IT!!!!!

Would recommend the Marriott for a conference but would really question the event staff about food preparation and get some assurances about quality of food prep.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Robert P,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the resort. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the quality of the meeting rooms and the helpfulness of our staff. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your meal at the awards dinner. We strive for every guest to be satisfied with their meal and we apologize that we were not successful in this instance. Our executive chef oversees all food preparation and ensures that each dish is prepared properly. However, it can be challenging with a large banquet function to have the steaks match each guest's desired temperature. In the future, please just let one of our staff members know and they would have been happy to get you a new meal. We are always looking to improve, so thank you for this feedback. We hope you enjoyed your stay overall, and we look forward to seeing you back for future conferences.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,368)

Reviewed 20 November 2013

We stayed here this past summer and had a wonderful time. The property is gorgeous and all the staff was great. Our kids (ages 8 and 5) had a great time alternating between swimming in the ocean and swimming in the pools. There are activities planned every day for kids, some are free but some require you to pay. The poolside bar has delicious cocktails but they're pricey.

Of course no place is without it's faults. People went down to the pool at the crack of dawn and put towels on chairs to reserve their spot for the day. For those of us who got down there later in the morning (8am or later), we were pretty much out of luck with getting a seat. What was really annoying was that some people never showed for an entire day! I wish they had a way to monitor the chairs to make sure they're actually being used. The food and drinks at the poolside bar were very expensive. We took a cooler down with us to help curb the cost a little. Our room was very clean with the exception of the clipped nails I found on our balcony. I guess that was an oversight on the housekeeper when she cleaned after the prior guests left. We had a mini refrigerator but no microwave, which would've been a nice amenity.

The resort is about 10 minutes outside of downtown Myrtle Beach which was fine with us. We got to enjoy everything MB has to offer without being in the middle of the action.

We all had a wonderful time here and the kids have been asking to go back ever since we left. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ann1475
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Ann1475,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the resort. Thank you for your kind words about the property and the staff. We are happy to hear that you and your kids enjoyed the resort's amenities. During the summer time, our pool deck is extremely popular. We sincerely apologize that some guests did not ever use their pool chairs. We understand how frustrating this must have been for you. And thank you for letting us know about your balcony. In the future, please just make our front desk aware, and we would have been able to send someone up right away to clean it for you. We appreciate the feedback, since we are always looking for ways to improve. We hope to see you and your family back again soon!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night and had to get back to work the next day by noon. I rushed to get out of the room and didn't take the time for one last look. I left my necklace on the counter.
That evening as I was taking off my jewelry, I realized that I had left my necklace. I called the hotel and told them of my mistake. I called, again, and again. Because it was after 5pm they had to check with the staff the next day. They didn't call back. So, I called, again, and spoke to a manager. I asked him to follow up with the individual that cleaned the room. He didn't call back.
This necklace was very special to me, as it was a gift from my husband when my dad passed away this year. Obviously a maid stole my necklace and is enjoying my keepsake from my father's passing.
The customer service at this hotel is lacking. I definitely won't return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank emptynestersnc

Dear emptynestersnc,

We are sorry that we have not been able to find your lost necklace. When an incident like this happens, we immediately investigate and we do everything we can to recover the missing item. This is a rare occurrence and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. We apologize in how the issue was handled and that you were not called back promptly. We apologize that we did not live up to the Marriott standard in this instance and retrieve your missing necklace. If it is found, you will certainly be notified. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We've been coming to this property every year since it opened in 2004. Loved it. However, in the past 2 years this property has started to nickel and dime the customer. There is a "new" $15 resort fee they added in 2013 which is $15 each day on top of regular reservation rates. There was never a resort fee for the prior 9 years we've been coming here. The resort fee includes free internet service. As a loyal gold member, I already had free internet service being gold, but they still charged me the $15 each day. In 2013, this property changed its hotel category from level 6 to level 7. You will now need to use a lot more reward points to stay here. The hotel is also starting to show its age. Rooms need renovating, beds need replacing. The kids game room had a broken foozball table, and the playstation/Wii remotes were is rough condition. The kids game room was a lot better when it was used for the kids club daily activities. Management here has been getting it wrong for the last two years. After 9 years of vacation at this property, we might not make it a 10th. Too bad because we enjoyed staying here all those years and the hotel location and beach access are among the best anywhere in the U.S.A.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank matt s
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear matt s,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of the resort. I am sorry to hear that you feel the resort has negatively changed over the last 2 years. The $15 dollar resort allows our guests to enjoy all of our resort amenities without having to worry about any additional charges. Before this resort fee took place, guests were charged individually for some of these services, which could have easily surpassed $15. The resort fee includes all of the following amenities:
• Full use of our Fitness Center
• Coffee in your guest room
• Turndown service upon request
• Complimentary local calls from your guest room
• Complimentary fax service available at the front desk
• Board games located at the front desk
• Complimentary self-parking in our parking facility
• Unlimited access to high-speed internet access (wired and wifi) in guest rooms and lobby area
• Use of our Recreation Room including foosball and video games
• Use of our outdoor recreation area including ping-pong and basketball
• Access to the sauna and steam room in Hibiscus Spa
• Pool towels
• Bike rentals

And thank you for bringing to our attention the condition of the game room. We are currently in the process of updating the room, so if you choose to stay with us in the future, everything will be in working order. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you during your stay. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to the Myrtle Beach Marriott and we hope to have you and your family back for years to come.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

The staff here is top notch, rapid check in, helpful with special requests. The location is off the beaten path of Myrtle Beach enough to have a nicer beach experience, but close enough for a quick drive to local attractions. The beach is less crowded and is nicely kept. We've stayed here a number of times over several years and the rooms, pools, and other facilities have always been very clean and the staff friendly. The standard rooms are a bit on the small side, but are well appointed and they have a lot of features on the property such as hammocks, loungers, rocking chairs, spa, etc. and of course the beach that keep you out of the room mostly. The restaurant, Oceans on 82nd was excellent every time we've eaten there, the room service was so-so on our one use. If you live within a few hours drive, look for late season specials. In early November the prices were down to $117 a night AAA rate, and the surf temperature was chilly but tolerable for most people for up to half an hour in the water. It's also nice in the city as the beaches and attractions are less crowded, lines shorter, and restaurants usually have no waiting times.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ctpncaveman
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear ctpncaveman,

Thank you for your fabulous review of the resort. We appreciate your wonderful comments about the service and the property's location. We are happy to hear that you have been able to enjoy all of the amenities the resort has to offer like the hammocks by the pool and the spa. We love hearing that you have always had a delicious meal in Ocean's on 82nd and the staff is always friendly. Thank you for your loyalty and hope to have you back for many more years to come!

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Very nice hotel . I stayed for a conference in of Oct , check-in fast and easy . My room was 3rd floor with a nice view of beach and pool also close to the elevators. Room clean and bed comfortable , good temp control thermostate with a small refrigerator but no microwave. I did watch a little tv on the I think look like a 42" flat screen , reception good . I did not use any internet so I can not comment on that. We had several meals most were just ok although they did do a fantastic job at a piece chocolate cake I had . All said --a very nice hotel with comfortable rooms,clean with a good staff

Room Tip: room 309 very nice
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank steelers_jody
MBMarriottResort, General Manager at Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear steelers_jody,

Thank you for taking the time to share your great review of the Myrtle Beach Marriott. Thank you for your description of the sleeping room accommodations and commenting on the great service and staff. We are sorry to hear that you felt that the food was, just ok, but we are glad you enjoyed the chocolate cake. In the future, if there is anything we can do to make your meal more enjoyable, please just let us know. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here for a work conference and had a very pleasant experience. My room was very clean when I arrived and the king sized bed made for a great nights sleep. It was also nice knowing that all I had to do was just go downstairs to my conference and not have to leave the property. We had several of our meals included with the meeting and the food was great as well. Although it was too cool to enjoy they have the most beautiful pool that I have seen while staying in Myrtle Beach. I would love to come back and stay here again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank rca72

Dear rca72,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the resort. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your sleeping room and that you liked the meals. We would love to have you back during a future conference or on a future vacation, so you can truly relax and enjoy all the amenities the resort has to offer. We look forward to seeing you again soon.