“Very nice, but too pricy”

Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I attended a seminar at this hotel and it seemed like a typical "business" hotel, with the exception of the beautiful pool area and beachfront location which made it more resort-like. It took about 15 minutes for them to locate a room for me when I checked in; I was starting to worry they had overbooked. I had reserved a king but they gave a room with 2 queens and I was told it was an upgrade to an ocean-front room. I didn't care whether I had 1 or 2 beds in the room so that was no problem and I was pleased to have a view of the ocean. I wouldn't call it ocean front since it was at the side of the hotel. As many other reviewers have noted, the "balcony" is non-existent -- it's a sliding glass door to nowhere with about 5 inches of space. They could have saved money and just installed windows. Maybe they plan to add balconies at some point. It would be nice to sit outside to enjoy the view. The true ocean-front rooms -- those facing the beach -- did have real balconies.

The room was as expected for a higer-end hotel -- comfortable bedding, nice toiletries, hair dryer, iron, coffee pot, refigerator in the room. I did have a problem with housekeeping one day. It was after 3 and they still hadn't cleaned the room. I called the front desk and was told that they didn't clean the rooms unless you requested it. That seemed ridiculous to me and I asked why the room had been cleaned the previous 2 days without a request. I don't really understand what the deal was with this, obviously some miscommunication somewhere, but they did send someone to make the bed, take out the trash, and bring new towels.

The location was somewhat isolated -- you definitely need a car if you ever want to leave the property. There were no shopping or dining options within easy walking distance. The hotel has1 restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus you could eat dinner at the bar and lunch at the pool. The menu among all of these places was quite similar and on the expensive side. Breakfast seemed especially high, with the best value being one of their two buffet options priced at $13 or $15. But with tax and tip, you're easily approaching $20 per person. I was surprised at the number of families eating breakfast and wondered whether there was a price break for children. However, the breakfast buffet was excellent with a wonderful spread of fresh fruit, breads, cereal, an omelet station, mini Belgian waffles, etc. The service in the restaurant was wonderful.

The relative isolation of the hotel is to its benefit when you're on the beach. Because there are not a lot of hotels nearby, the beach is not very crowded and you can easily have the beach virtually to yourself by walking a short distance in either direction. The pool area at the hotel was beautiful and seemed to have a sufficient number of lounge chairs available. I sat there for awhile one day but grew very hot. For some reason, they have planted trees and shrubs between the pool and the beach, so you can't see the ocean while you're sitting at the pool and it also blocked breezes, They also have a hammock area and it was relaxing to lay there and hear the ocean, it would be nice to also be able to see it.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, depending on the cost. Since I was here on businees, I had a conference rate which I think was almost half the regular rate. I would not pay the regular rate of more than $300 to stay here -- I'd rather be at the Hampton Inn and Suites which is not quite as high-end but certainly adequate and a better value.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Midwestern traveler

Reviewed 2 August 2007

Marriott Myrtle Beach Resort at Grande Dunes is a typical full service Marriott on a beach front. It is really trying hard to be a resort. However what we discovered is that this is a regular business type Marriott hotel with a very nice pool and beach area. The rooms are small, with 1 king or 2 double beds, a TV, a desk with a chair, an arm chair, a tiny fridge, a small coffee maker, and a huge safe. There is barely enough room for one person to walk between the beds and the TV armoire.
The views a breath taking! The pool area is nice with several pools, including one indoor pool, and a big slide. Half of the pool deck is taken by the cabanas: wooden loungers with umbrellas. These can be reserved for a day. The beach is private. Beach access is from the pool area. The high tide brings the water almost to the edge of the “private chairs and umbrellas” that can be rented for a day. The trick is you cannot put your own chair/umbrella in front of these chairs – not even during the low tide, when the beach is a few feet wide. The parking is private, but free if you park your car yourself. The hotel is right next door to the Marriott’s time share property.
There are several restaurants, and pool bar/café. All of them share the same menu (as they told us at the front desk). We did not eat there, so cannot comment on that. They do theme night buffets with both indoor and outdoor food service at the pool side. The food and drink can be ordered right from your chair and charged to your room. (We had someone else’s charges added to our bill. But front desk resolved it.) They do not allow you to bring outside food or drink to the pool.
There is a kids club and other activities scheduled daily. Every other night there is a swim and a movie at the indoor pool.
We were there 3 nights/4 days during the 4th of July week. The hotel had a very nice celebration on the 4th of July with Moon bounces and tunnels for kids, with ice cream, cotton candy, clowns, live entertainment and theme buffet at the pool. It was very crowded and lines were long though.
Overall, it’s a nice, clean and very expensive property. This is definitely not a family resort.

1  Thank MariLand
Reviewed 26 July 2007

Just returned from a wonderful stay at The Grand Dunes from 7/20 to 7/23. This property is absolutely gorgeous and I highly recommend it. We booked this hotel through Marriott by attending the timeshare pitch next door at the Ocean Watch Villas. Great deal, $199 for 3 nights & $75 in sand dollars to use at various restaurants. We used them at the hotel's restaurant and the pool cafe, good food. Great breakfast buffet, waffle & omlet station, so yummy.

The rooms are spacious and extremely clean. The highlight was the comfy bed, loved it!!! Lots of storage space. Great bathroom with nice toiletries. We loved the robes they provided, nice touch. There was also a coffee maker & a mini fridge. The only complaint is the same as others, no balcony, which was fine with us.

The pools are great. We never had a problem finding a lounge chair and the pools never felt crowded. Great live music in the afternoon. When there was no entertainment, there was still outdoor music to enjoy while lounging at the pools. Easy access to the beach. The ocean was so warm, warmer then the pools.

One of my favorite things was the complimentary lemonade in the lobby. It was so good & so fresh, you must have a few glasses while your there.

We will definitely stay at the Grand Dunes on our next visit to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mangie
Reviewed 17 July 2007

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach. The property was incredible and gorgeous. We had two children with us and the rooms were small but the beds were comfy. I was very disappointed because there was no balcony off of our room. Definitely not a plus for such a nice resort. The pools were enchanting as well as the views of the ocean. The food (breakfast, dinner, lunch) no complaints at all. We had a water problem also on two separate days and there were several areas in the hotel that were experencing water issues coming from the ceiling. There was a definite malfunction there of some sort.

2  Thank maxers
Reviewed 13 July 2007

We stayed for four nights and loved every minute. Our oceanfront room was clean with spectacular views of the ocean and pools. There was a dance competition at the hotel, but surprisingly the noise level was fine, even in the lobby. My daughter loved watching some of the dancers perform! The kids club offered lots of activities, from cooking with the Marriott chefs, to scavenger hunts on the beach. There are dive-in movies at the indoor pool. There were plenty of activities for adults, from beach yoga to jeep tours of Myrtle Beach. I skipped the on-site spa this time around, The poolside service was excellent, drinks were plentiful (and tasty!). We left the property to eat, but be warned, if you don't get to your preferred restaurant by 5:30 pm, you are looking at at least an hour wait. At Margaritaville, the wait was 3 hours at 7PM! We also attended the timeshare sales pitch at the Oceanwatch Villas next door and got $200 in American Express gift cards for our trouble. The beach is private, so it is not crowded although when the tide comes in, there is only a small strip of sand left. We've stayed at the Oceanfront Hampton Inn, which we enjoyed, but it is nothing like the Grande Dunes. We will be back when the Hard Rock Theme Park opens!

2  Thank joalexajeff
Reviewed 11 July 2007

We just returned from a 3 days/2nights' stay at the Marriott Resort from July 8th-July 10th. My husband had informed the hotel that we would be celebrating my 40th birthday. We arrived at 10:00 a.m. the morning of the 8th, knowing we were pretty early for check in. The front desk was very gracious, took our cell number, and gave us a card to use for charging hotel services until our room was assigned. We decided to try the Sunday Brunch in the hotel restaurant, which was quite good. Service was very attentive, something you don't always receive with a buffet. Soon after breakfast, a room was ready for us! We were given an "ocean view" room on the 14th floor. It really wasn't a bad view at all, but I agree with all the other reviews of this hotel that a balcony would have been a plus. The room was of average size, but it more than did the job. Yes, the beds ARE amazing---you will not be disappointed! Because it was my birthday, the hotel surprised us with not one, but TWO individual chocolate cakes and a small bottle of champagne chilling for us in the fridge---very nice!! I was definitely impressed. The concierge, Beth, had reserved a 7pm time for my birthday dinner at Umi's. We had no problem getting a taxi to the restaurant because the hotel always has at least a couple of taxis on site ready for guests. The bellman was very friendly and professional. Everything was going so well...

There were, unfortunately, a couple of issues that tried to spoil our vacation. The first was that on our first night, I noticed a small but very wet spot on the carpet between the bed and walking to the bathroom. In the middle of the night, I was awakened by the sound of water trickling loudly. Remembering the "wet spot", I was worried. Sure enough, by the morning the spot had turned into an area so large we could not walk around it or even jump over it. We had no choice but to walk through it to get to the bathroom. We tried putting down towels, but the carpet was so wet, this was of no help. When we reported this to the front desk, the first person we talked to about this showed no emotion, just said she would send maintenance up to check it. We knew this was a serious issue, and expected we would be moved to another room, preferrably upgraded for our trouble. Instead, we were offered to move, but the room was not as nice, nor was the view. We were sent some chocolate and a letter of apology from the manager. Period. The water leaking was not repaired. A dehumidifier was placed in our room, and, that was it. By day two, our room had a distinct smell to it, and the carpet was horrendous. I had to keep my flip flops by the bed to slip on if I wanted to go to the bathroom and not step in the slop! We would have moved if we had been offered a room comparable to what we had, but either the hotel really didn't have anywhere else to put us, or was not willing to do this. I must say, a couple of chocolates for something this serious seemed pretty lame! How about comping us a meal or two, at the very least? I wonder how they would have felt in the same situation! I think they really missed an opportunity to show us how much they were sorry for our extreme inconvenience. I chose not to complain loudly about this, not wanting to ruin my 40th birthday experience any more than it already was.

Secondly, when we went to go to bed our second night, we pulled back the covers to discover the maid had not changed our sheets, and let's just say it was pretty obvious that she should have. Very disappointing and unexpected for a hotel like this! I really didn't want to spend my short stay complaining, so again, I let it slide. What a shame that we would have to even think twice about either of these issues!

The pool is very nice, the pool service wonderful. We spent a lot of time out there since our room was such a mess. We tried to enjoy ourselves despite the problems. I do believe this is a very nice property, but a property is only as nice as how it handles itself when problems arise, which can happen to any property. I think they could have done better.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lilsnowbunny
Reviewed 7 July 2007

Just returned from this property a few days ago. The resort was great overall. The lobby was tastefully decorated, open and elegant. The rooms were also nicely decorated and the bed was very comfy. The bathrooms (though on the small side) had nice bath and body works products. My one complaint would be the fact that we only had a "faux" balcony. Our room was oceanview (nice view too) and only the ocean front rooms and suites have real balconies.

The pool area was fantasic and the beach nice and not super crowed. We loved the North Myrtle Beach location too which was away from the craziness of the main strip.

The hotel had a lot of nice extras, like a great goody bags for the kids and complimentry drinks in the lobby in the afternoon. They really out did themselves on July 4th though. They set up inflatables by the pool for the kids, had clowns, and snow cones!

We also enjoyed the resturants. The food was good and you could dine outside "alfresco".

If I ever make it back to MB, I would definitely stay here again.

3  Thank drew'smom2005