Myrtle Beach Marriott Resort & Spa at Grande Dunes
Ranked #14 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 24 August 2007

Best things about the hotel - relatively new, great beach and pools, with wonderful waterslide area for kids. Padded chaises by the pool (2 w/ umbrella) are available for rent at $25 per day (or was it $30?) - came with a bucket of ice and water, with fruit kabobs late a.m. Beach was very clean, had excellent surf for kids to safely bodyboard, and had an attentive lifeguard right in front of the hotel (only one on a very long stretch of beach). The beach was relatively quiet compared to stretches further to the south visible from our 9th floor room. One thing we learned - don't bother taking innertubes or floats for the beach - a city ordinance requires a leash so bodyboards/other things don't get swept out to sea. They're fine in the pool though.

Rooms were adequate and clean, but maintenance issues already apparent via cracked ceilings and scuffed doors. No balconies on majority of rooms (except for those on the end of the building). However, our room faced south and was on the east end of the building, so we had a good view of the pool, beach and fireworks nightly from our room (pretty but noisy).

Two concierges in the lobby most of the time - so someone was always available and helpful, with one making tee times for my husband. Covered parking is available just past the conference rooms, so valet service really isn't necessary at the $15 per day they quoted. As for food, we just ate at the pool bar (decent but pricey).

As for the area itself, it was just one long stretch of bumper to bumper traffic, buffet restaurants, themed shopping centers,T-shirt shops, strip joints and miniature golf. My 9 year old daughter had a great time, but we won't be going back!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 August 2007

We had stayed here in 2006 during Spring Break. We LOVED it then so we decided to come back for our 30th Anniversary in June. It was even more WONDERFUL this time. In addition I had several requests of the staff to surprise my wife during our stay. Some of the requests were fairly complicated and required on time and attention. The staff (ESPECIALLY CERTAIN SPECIFIC PEOPLE) really pulled off all of these requests PERFECTLY. We could not have enjoyed ourselves more. I highly recommend this MARRIOTT RESORT.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My boyfriend and I recently spent a two night weekend at the Marriott. Living a few hours away from Myrtle Beach, many friends had warned us not to go there. However, staying at an upper end resort, we felt it wouldn't be as bad as friends said. We were right.
The resort is very nice, espeically compared to the othe choices in Myrtle Beach. It was two large pools, one looked a little murky though. It also has a slide, hot tub, indoor pool and hot tub. We found a chair poolside each day even though we didn't get out until later in the afternoon. The only complaint here is the chairs are very close together. No private conversations and of course there are people who refuse to be on vacation and talk on their cell phones constantly which is especially annoying being literally an inch away. The chairs have flags to put up when you want waitress service which was great. A little pricey but about what I would expect staying at a upscale resort. Live music at the pool in the afternoons was nice. There is the option of renting padded lounge chairs that are well spaced out also.
The beach is not part of the Marriott, which is what I was lead to believe. You can rent chairs, but it is not part of the resort. Also no bar service on the beach.
The room was very comfortable, great bed. We did not have a balcony, just a sliding door with a railing outside of it.
The only meal we had at the resort was breakfast buffett which was very good. A nice variety for $15/person.
The resort is on the north end of Myrtle Beach so driving to North Myrtle Beach was very quick and driving further into Myrtle Beach didn't take long.
I would definitely recommend this resort to friends. I was told Myrtle Beach was Gatlinburg with a beach but it wasn't bad at all, and I think that was the Marriott making it a very nice weekend.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank staceyvols
Reviewed 12 August 2007

We just got back from our vacation August 10th. What a wonderful stay we had at the Marriott. The resort is beautiful, but pricy. We booked an oceanview and my sister booked oceanfront. The rooms were small, but clean. Although, my sister did find mold on the shower curtain and the refrigerator in her room was dirty. My room was clean and just the right size (for 3).

They have two outdoor pools and one indoor one. The indoor one was small. We recommend grabbing a lounge chair by the pool early by placing some non-essential items on the chair. Otherwise, you can rent ($35.00) a lounge chair with padding and an umbrella. Also, the chairs by the beach you can also rent for the same price, but we recommend either bringing your own chairs or placing a towel down instead. The resort is pricy, but if you are looking for a nice place to stay, good housekeeping, and a nice beach, this is the place for you.

If you have small children...take note. This is a business type of resort and they are "working on" making it a little more family friendly. For parasailing, jet skining, and other water activities, you need to go down Myrtle Beach (about 5 or 6 miles) to get to these activities. Also, the resort needs some more shady areas. When its hot, its HOT and there is no escaping the sun.

I would stay at the Marriott again. Great resort, but if you can get a deal on it, I recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank lill2441
Reviewed 9 August 2007

Stayed here for 5 days in July, the 2nd year in a row that I stayed at this property. Well run hotel, great location. Beach is very nice, and this area is away from the craziness of the main strip of myrtle beach. Great pool area, a nice touch being the hammocks right off the pool area. Service has been wonderful both years; everyone extremely helpful and friendly. Parking is close enough not to have to worry about valet. I would heartily recommend this property. If you're looking for an upscale beach location, there's really nothing better in the area. I would also recommend the oceanfront rooms; it gets you a direct beach facing room with a nice balcony.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank deverja
Reviewed 7 August 2007

I attended a seminar at this hotel and it seemed like a typical "business" hotel, with the exception of the beautiful pool area and beachfront location which made it more resort-like. It took about 15 minutes for them to locate a room for me when I checked in; I was starting to worry they had overbooked. I had reserved a king but they gave a room with 2 queens and I was told it was an upgrade to an ocean-front room. I didn't care whether I had 1 or 2 beds in the room so that was no problem and I was pleased to have a view of the ocean. I wouldn't call it ocean front since it was at the side of the hotel. As many other reviewers have noted, the "balcony" is non-existent -- it's a sliding glass door to nowhere with about 5 inches of space. They could have saved money and just installed windows. Maybe they plan to add balconies at some point. It would be nice to sit outside to enjoy the view. The true ocean-front rooms -- those facing the beach -- did have real balconies.

The room was as expected for a higer-end hotel -- comfortable bedding, nice toiletries, hair dryer, iron, coffee pot, refigerator in the room. I did have a problem with housekeeping one day. It was after 3 and they still hadn't cleaned the room. I called the front desk and was told that they didn't clean the rooms unless you requested it. That seemed ridiculous to me and I asked why the room had been cleaned the previous 2 days without a request. I don't really understand what the deal was with this, obviously some miscommunication somewhere, but they did send someone to make the bed, take out the trash, and bring new towels.

The location was somewhat isolated -- you definitely need a car if you ever want to leave the property. There were no shopping or dining options within easy walking distance. The hotel has1 restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus you could eat dinner at the bar and lunch at the pool. The menu among all of these places was quite similar and on the expensive side. Breakfast seemed especially high, with the best value being one of their two buffet options priced at $13 or $15. But with tax and tip, you're easily approaching $20 per person. I was surprised at the number of families eating breakfast and wondered whether there was a price break for children. However, the breakfast buffet was excellent with a wonderful spread of fresh fruit, breads, cereal, an omelet station, mini Belgian waffles, etc. The service in the restaurant was wonderful.

The relative isolation of the hotel is to its benefit when you're on the beach. Because there are not a lot of hotels nearby, the beach is not very crowded and you can easily have the beach virtually to yourself by walking a short distance in either direction. The pool area at the hotel was beautiful and seemed to have a sufficient number of lounge chairs available. I sat there for awhile one day but grew very hot. For some reason, they have planted trees and shrubs between the pool and the beach, so you can't see the ocean while you're sitting at the pool and it also blocked breezes, They also have a hammock area and it was relaxing to lay there and hear the ocean, it would be nice to also be able to see it.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, depending on the cost. Since I was here on businees, I had a conference rate which I think was almost half the regular rate. I would not pay the regular rate of more than $300 to stay here -- I'd rather be at the Hampton Inn and Suites which is not quite as high-end but certainly adequate and a better value.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Midwestern traveler
Reviewed 2 August 2007

Marriott Myrtle Beach Resort at Grande Dunes is a typical full service Marriott on a beach front. It is really trying hard to be a resort. However what we discovered is that this is a regular business type Marriott hotel with a very nice pool and beach area. The rooms are small, with 1 king or 2 double beds, a TV, a desk with a chair, an arm chair, a tiny fridge, a small coffee maker, and a huge safe. There is barely enough room for one person to walk between the beds and the TV armoire.
The views a breath taking! The pool area is nice with several pools, including one indoor pool, and a big slide. Half of the pool deck is taken by the cabanas: wooden loungers with umbrellas. These can be reserved for a day. The beach is private. Beach access is from the pool area. The high tide brings the water almost to the edge of the “private chairs and umbrellas” that can be rented for a day. The trick is you cannot put your own chair/umbrella in front of these chairs – not even during the low tide, when the beach is a few feet wide. The parking is private, but free if you park your car yourself. The hotel is right next door to the Marriott’s time share property.
There are several restaurants, and pool bar/café. All of them share the same menu (as they told us at the front desk). We did not eat there, so cannot comment on that. They do theme night buffets with both indoor and outdoor food service at the pool side. The food and drink can be ordered right from your chair and charged to your room. (We had someone else’s charges added to our bill. But front desk resolved it.) They do not allow you to bring outside food or drink to the pool.
There is a kids club and other activities scheduled daily. Every other night there is a swim and a movie at the indoor pool.
We were there 3 nights/4 days during the 4th of July week. The hotel had a very nice celebration on the 4th of July with Moon bounces and tunnels for kids, with ice cream, cotton candy, clowns, live entertainment and theme buffet at the pool. It was very crowded and lines were long though.
Overall, it’s a nice, clean and very expensive property. This is definitely not a family resort.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family