“It was the perfect family vacation!”

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #33 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ann Arbor, MI
“It was the perfect family vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2009

We stayed here May 26th - 29th in a 2 BR corner condo in the Mariner building. We had a 2, 4, and 6 year old with us. We got a great deal booking through the hotel. We timed our stay perfect. Bike week had ended a few days earlier and the holiday weekend crowd was gone. I was worried about the area after reading some reviews but it was not scary at all to me. The beach and town around us was clean. The city is trying to do away with bike week since it is supposed to be a family place and a waiter told us it was not as busy as years past. I guess its just like anywhere. You don't go to certain areas during spring break if you don't want to deal with young ppl partying. It was very nice having our choice of chairs at any of the pools. The kids loved the submarine kiddie pool and the 1 ft pool where they could play with their toys. Both were nice and warm for the kids and adults. Check in and parking were a breeze. Our room was beautiful and very clean. The views were amazing. We were on the 14th floor and slept with the doorwall open every night to listen to the ocean. We did not eat much at the hotel. Our favorite dinner was at tripps at broadway on the beach. Overall..we are hoping to go back soon!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank addigurl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
Western North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2009

We stayed here on Sunday the 23rd and Memorial Day and also previously on the weekend of the 16th. We booked through the hotels website at great prices. Both times we stayed in the schooner building, which is the smaller of the buildings. The staff at check in on the weekend of the 16th was sufficient but did nothing to make me feel particularly welcome, everyone was somewhat robotic. However, check in on the 23rd was completely different, Joel assisted me and was very pleasant and welcoming but I do agree with a previous post that overall the front desk could use an attitude adjustment.

The room is very basic, beds certainly aren't heavenly but were comfortable. The bathroom was on the smaller side, water temperature was somewhat hard to control and could become scalding hot if you weren't careful, but beyond that there is little to complain about. The view and balcony are fantastic and the fridge/ kitchen area were convenient.
The combination of pools, lazy rivers and hot tubs is great, it was never too crowded in one area and the indoor pools were definitely a positive when a rain shower passed through.

In response to the post about timing your trip, it is important. Black bike week is a very busy time and I totally understand the fear, if you are traveling with family it probably is best to check out whats going on in town before you book your trip. However, we arrived at the end of bike week and chose to stay in our room and around the beach and were not bothered or uncomfortable.

-We were able to park near our room and found the parking garage to be somewhat empty most of the time.

As for the other post about the beach chair rentals, Compass Cove is not responsible for those. The wretched staff of Lacks Beach Service are the ones who make money off of that. We found the lifeguards from Lacks to have a holier-than-thou attitude. They act like they are beach police and have absolutely absurd rules. The last day we were there we werent allowed to be in the ocean above our knees. I respect their duty to keep the public safe and warn us of danger but they should respect my right as an adult to make my own decisions. But again, the overpriced chair rentals and crappy attitude is from Lacks and not Compass Cove.

We had a few meals at the Crow's Nest (lounge in the pinnacle building), all of which were much better than expected- great appetizers, chicken wrap, and chicken fingers. The atmosphere was nice and laid back with indoor and outdoor seating. All the staff at the Crow's Nest were great.

Overall, we think Compass Cove is a great place and will certainly return in the near future.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BrownICBA
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

I stayed at Compass Cove from May 17-May 23, 2009. I have been to Myrtle beach many times... I do like the area where Compass Cove is best. Check in was smooth...there was quite a line...out the door...check in must be 3:00 p.m. for entire motel. Hotel had 7 people working front desk. Didnt have to wait long. We were given a map of motel...our key...and sent on our way. No trolleys for taking luggage up...I had to search each floor to find one so I was exhausted by the time i made it back to car...not hotels fault i suppose...thoughtless groups of people when finished with carts just left them sitting outside their doors. I watched throughout the week and staff was constantly having to wisk them back down to front. Our stay was good..except for weather...which was no ones fault. Hotel is older...rooms are older...but reasonable clean. Most of the cleaning staff does not speak English very well or not at all...so very hard to convey your needs...but the young lady that cleaned our room tried very hard to communicate. Pools were good temp and reasonable clean. There are quite a few so you shouldnt have any trouble finding a way to cool off or hit the hottub. Towels were always clean and available in pool area. LOVE the TIKI hut...staff VERY nice..was the most pleasant meal. The Compass Rose...breakfast is really good.. about $9.00 but staff is courteous and helpful. The smaller restaurant on second floor does lite snacks and sandwiches...not so good...but would be ok for a drink or if you were really desperate for a snack...TIKI HUT burgers sooo much better. They are grilled right there for you at Tiki Hut...mixed drinks...beer...soda...I love it. One really strong word of warning though...DO NOT STAY DURING BIKE WEEK. The last night we were there was very scary. The bikers were all coming in and there were what seemed like thousands of people in the street. I honestly didnt think it would be a big deal...but the people that were in our area were very rude...and scary..the police dept blocked streets...made them one way...was VERY difficult to get in or out of motel. Took hours to go anywhere on Ocean Blvd. Parking was terrible that last night...had to park across the street from hotel in a parking garage...no security or elevator in building we were forced to park in...I had my elderly mother, and daughter with me. I was truly scared. Had to park on top floor and walk all the way through the garage to bottom floor. A group of bikers were in a SUV and threw beer cans and shouted things at us...followed us all the way thru garage. We woke the next morning to find beer cans and caps thrown on the balcony of our room. I would recommend this hotel during slower times...first part of week we had no trouble finding a place near the hotel...we were able to walk thru parking lot and get in elevator. Still no security...but at least we were no being shouted at or having beer cans thrown. Just pick your time to go and I think you will find this a fine place to stay. Hotel really can't control who comes to Myrtle Beach...I just wish there had been security around to help us that night.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank lovethebeach827
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

Where do I start? The front desk...They could use some work on their customer service skills. Very unfriendly and uninviting. They looked like they hated their jobs and it came across that way in every way while they're speaking with you. The restaurant only served breakfast buffet. The food was AWFUL but the wait staff was friendly. The rooms were kept clean and the beach was nice but what a rip off! They charge you $30.00 per day, from 9-4pm to rent umbrellas, chairs and cabanas. In the Carribbean it's totally free!

If you're not a fan of the urban life, do not stay here! Young men hanging from the balconies of the hotels were hollering at women from the beach. We could not relax on the beach without being approached constantly by young THUGS all day long! I felt like I was visiting the Projects for the weekend! The parking lot is very scary because the motorcycle gang hung out in the parking lot smoking and drinking. Finding parking was scarce to say the least. Oh and trying to find someone who who worked at the hotel that actually spoke English? Good Luck! Usually I try to keep an open mind when I travel and mostly enjoy every place that I stay, but this, I have to say was the worst for me. Needless to say I will never return to this establishment!

Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank drafty
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2009

I stayed at Compass Cove during the Memorial Day weekend. I went with my girlfriend.
First, I did not find the front desk to be helpful. They basically checked you in, gave you a map to find your room and off you went.
We had trouble finding our room as the hotel is big. We asked some of the maids there for help and they could not speak a lick of english and waved us off. Finally, we found a security guard who was nice enough to escort us to our room. I never would have found it as we had to enter through a parking lot to get to the room. SCARY!

The room was ok. I was satisfied. The beach was nice as well. However, we could not really enjoy it with all of the guys walking the beach scouring for women. For the most part, if you tell them you're not interested, they leave you alone, but then here comes another flock of them. Mainly, they're very, very young. College age.

Now, outside of the hotel... Ha. What can I say? Hoochie mamas as I like to call them. The entire scene looked like some ghetto, in my opinion. I was kind of scared out there. No one bothered us but the entire scenario was rather swanky, skanky.

The restaurant only serves breakfast. No lunch, no dinner. The wait staff there was rather friendly.

For the most part, we stayed on the beach. You can rent chairs, cabanas from the lifeguard for a day from 9:00am-4:00pm. I enjoyed the beach, if nothing else.

Would I stay again? Nope.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank MoneyD
Pittsfield, Mass.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

Came back to Mytrtle Beach for the weekend. I have been coming there for 22 years. I was there 1 month ago and stayed at another location on Ocean Boulevard. I just recently purchased a Condo at Compass Cove in the Pinnacle Bldg. My wife, son and daughter -in-law had a very nice weekend there. Evereything was great. The restuarant for breakfast was excellent as was the night club in the Pinnacle. Can't wait for my next trip down.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank jt1230
south carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

It was a nice place to stay. It had a few pools, 2 lazy rivers, several hot tubs and water areas for small children. The Tiki Hut bar was nice right by the pool area. Our overall trip was a great experiance. I hope to visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple