“Love this Place”

Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #34 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I live 1 1/2 hours away from Myrtle Beach. Have stayed there 4 -5 times in the last year. We love the hotel. We have stayed with our 3 1/2 year old grandson and also stayed with my cousin and her husband. We recommended it to our daughter and she has stayed there. The place is fabulous and we are travelers. Have been to Florida, California , etc. this year. Love the view (right on the ocean) and the wonderful buffet breakfast, The only recommendation I would have is to make the lounge more attractive - offer more foods, and decorate it up a little more. Otherwise, perfect. The kid's pool, waterslide(new this year), etc. are great for children. Enough room the kids do not get in the way of the adult fun. Very friendly staff. Will stay there many more times!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank funlovers1

Reviewed 21 April 2010

This is a very nice hotel. Its oceanfront and lovely. The anmenities is awesome. The best is the indoor lazy river. They also have alot of heated tubs and many indoor and outdoor pools. One of the childrens pools has a cool submarine in it. The staff was very nice and the rooms were great. We got a great deal through hotels.com.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank lookn4greatdeals
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We stayed in a 2-BR condo in the Mariner bldg of Compass Cove. We had 4 teenagers with us (2 of our own and 2 friends). The condo was a beautiful corner unit with a wraparound balcony and a gorgeous view of the Atlantic Ocean. There was plenty of room for all of us and the teens had their own bathroom to use so there was never a wait to shower! The staff here is extremely friendly and accomodating. We had a great time and great weather. We want to go back in the Summer and stay in the same condo!

2  Thank WeLovetheBeach4
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My best friend and I had a mom’s only trip to Myrtle Beach. She had been to Myrtle Beach several times before but I had not. I was blown away at the hotel when we pulled up to check in. Our room was super clean and smelled so fresh. We had an ocean view room and there definitely was a view! Then next day we relaxed in one of their lazy rivers, sat in one of the many Jacuzzi’s they had and then swam in one of their many pools. The Crows Nest bar and grill served excellent food and had an awesome atmosphere. The restaurant there served delicious food and our hostess was very accommodating. We loved our stay at Compass Cove Oceanfront Resort so much, we are planning on going back there this August (2010) as well.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank Beachbum1124sandi
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Great place to stay, clean nice rooms and resort. lighting fast check in & out, would recomend to all.

2  Thank myjobrules
Reviewed 12 April 2010

We stayed for several days during Spring break 2010. Let me begin by noting that this hotel is not luxurious by any means but if you are looking for a fun swimming/beach front access - this hotel is great. We took our 3 boys (1 five year old and 2 ten year olds) and they loved the access to the pools and beach. The pools are open until 11 pm and there are always fresh, clean towels available to use poolside. The gym was not hard to find and it was in great shape, it had a variety of equipment to use (access to 2 t.v.s while working out was great extra). The staff were awesome and always willing to help. Note the rooms are not huge - but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room. The maid service cleaned every day and we felt safe. If you have to have a "luxury" feel - this is not for you, but if you want to enjoy and not worry about the extra money for the "luxury" this is the place to spend your time in South Myrtle Beach.

1  Thank NCSur
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I read all of the reviews associated with this hotel on every site I could find before I booked. Overall, there were very good reviews, with a few bad thrown in. Of the bad, most seemed to be centered around the Schooner building, and I was looking at a 1 bedroom suite in the Pinnacle Building, so I figured I was safe. I was wrong. I took my daughter and two of her friends to Myrtle Beach for Spring Break (April 4 through April 9) and I think we should have stayed elsewhere.

Let's start with the good.
1. The room was oceanfront and had a magnificent view of the beach and Atlantic Ocean.
2. There are two water slides, which the girls (all teenagers) enjoyed immensely.
3. The location on South Ocean Blvd is nice and quiet (at least while we were there).
4. There is wireless internet offered free of charge.
5. A lock to the room safe is offered free of charge.
6. The kitchen is better stocked than any kitchen I have ever been in at a Myrtle Beach condo.
7. SOME of the rooms have been updated.
8. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
9. Housekeeping wasn't trying to come to my room bright and early each morning.
10. The unit was pretty clean.

Now for the bad.
1. Parking is HORRENDOUS! I lucked up and found parking in the Pinnacle parking garage, but if I couldn't, I'd have to park either in the Mariner garage, or a garage across the street designated as employee parking. I found myself planning our outings based on the likelihood of getting parking upon my return. That put a little bit of a damper on things, because we didn't get to explore much of the night life.
2. The elevators are a joke. We once waited 20 minutes to get one! They're slow and always full. Then, to make matters even worse, they're very small. There were four of us, and we could barely fit in the elevator with the luggage cart.
3. I paid $124.20 per night (includes taxes and fees), yet my room was not updated. The only thing in that room that was updated was the flat panel TV in the living room. Everything else was out of date and needed a serious overhaul. I looked into the windows on our end of the hall, and ours was the only room not updated. When I checked in at the front desk, I was told all of the rooms had been updated. That was very dishonest, and when I brought it up at the front desk, I was told the type of room I have was sold out.
4. The kitchen had the white cabinets from the 80s that didn't close all the way.
5. While the kitchen was very well stocked, the previous tenants didn't wash the dishes very well, if at all. I'm sure this isn't the hotel's fault, but if housekeeping isn't going to check the dishes to make sure they're clean, anyone can put dirty dishes away to avoid the extra fee.
6. There were cobwebs on the bedroom walls. They looked to be pretty old, but still there. I didn't see any bugs, which was a plus.
7. The walls are paper thin. We could hear our neighbors as they entered and left their room, and if they were talking loud enough, I could hear their conversation. Once the neighbors were blasting their music at 1:00a (quiet hours are 11:00p to 6:00a), so I called the front desk. They sent security up, and it got worse. Then the kids started knocking on my door and running away, and slamming the door to their unit. They were in 1052 and I was in 1053. That meant their door was at the very end of the hall and mine was the last door facing the hall. I finally had to open my door and yell for them to stop knocking on my door while a grown-up was in the hall (watching the child knock on my door, I might add), before it stopped. I also had to start slamming my door before they quit slamming theirs. I hate stooping to such levels, but sometimes it's necessary to get results. I went on vacation to relax and while I know the hotel can't know the type of neighbors people will be, I still have to note this, in case others run into it. Especially since I can't have been the only person to complain about this particular room.
8. The hall carpet and the carpet in my room was dirty and old. They really looked like they needed to be replaced.
9. The instructions to get to the workout room (which is located on the 5th floor of the Mariner building) aren't very clear. The elevators in the Mariner are in the garage, which you either have to wander around until you find, or you have to ask at the front desk.
10. While the Pinnacle is very secure, sometimes it's a pain to have to take your key to go to the front desk (not located in either the Pinnacle or the Mariner, but in the Schooner), or eat at the Schooner restaurant.
11. There is a public parking lot between the Pinnacle and the Schooner, so checking in can be a pain if you don't know which parking lot to go into.
12. The sofa bed in our room had an old, stained mattress that was flipped. The girls said it was very uncomfortable to sleep on, so they resorted to leaving the couch put together and sleeping on it that way, rather than letting it out. Like I said above, I paid $124.20 a night, so nothing, and I do mean nothing, should have been stained, out of date or horrible in this room. It should have been very updated and clean!

Overall our visit was okay, but it could have been better. Next time I'm going to stay elsewhere, and hopefully we'll have a better experience. If you don't mind having to troll for parking; slow, small, full, wobbly elevators or paper thin walls, then stay here. Otherwise try somewhere else.