Message from TripAdvisor:

Review of Sea Watch Resort

Sea Watch Resort
Ranked #34 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
High Point, North Carolina
“My new favorite Myrtle Beach Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

Stayed 5 days at the Sea Watch this month for the first time and it was wonderful. Beautiful outdoor area with many pools and hot tubs. Lovely beach. Beautiful room with real granite coutertop. Live entertainment around the pool during the day. The parking garage had more room than any I have seen. Special parking area for campers and folks pulling trailers (which we were). The staff was exceptionally nice and helpful. Fitness room was adequate. I didn't like the buffet breakfast but my husband did and I am pretty picky wtih food. The only real complaint we had was the slow internet connection. That was really unacceptable. We had to use our own hot spot. Otherwise this place is fantastic and I plan to stay there every time from now on. The central location made it so convenient to everything in the entire area. I highly recommend the Sea Watch,

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side of the North tower don't get the morning sun, so you can sit out there i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ruth M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We have been staying at Sea Watch Resort for close to ten years and in the beginning, it was amazing! I have read others reviews and agree with both sides of the fence here. Sea Watch is a great place. Yet there are so many issues. When I made my reservations, many months ago, I asked for very specific units and though they say they cannot guarantee any type, I have been loyal for so long, that they said they would try. Upon arrival, the wait at the front desk was lengthy but that is the norm here. There are so many units filled with people checking in and out. Upon room assignment, I found that the 2 bedroom I asked for did not have the two separate beds in the second bedroom. We also found the place filthy. The tiles chipped. The cupboards in the kitchen with wood molding falling off. The shower curtains were covered in black mold. The air filter was dark grey. The bed cover was ripped. The toilet seat was filthy. The unit did not have enough silverware, dishes and cups for the four of us. The lock on the door looked as if someone had kicked the door in. The rugs were stained. the main table had gunk all over it. In all, we were not HAPPY! We called the front desk who said they could move us but not to the same type of unit. The manager told us he would send housekeeping and maintenance up. Housekeeping did an ok job with what they could. Some things were worn so bad there was just no cleaning them. They couldn't supply us with kitchen towels and couldn't replace the ripped bedding. Maintenance the first day, was rude and did nothing for us. The next evening, maintenance let themselves in for a so called change of a light bulb that we did NOT need. Although I was assured that maintenance man was no longer working for them, this is not the first time this has happened in the years I have stayed there. Every evening, we were plagued by the three phones constant red lights blinking. As there was a "problem" with the phone system. The lights disturbed our sleep. The pool areas have been remodeled but we watched as another guest told maintenance by the pools in the south tower that there were a few loose brick on the ground. Nothing was done about them in the eight days we were there. Although the resort rules state that nothing may be hung on the balconies, every where you looked in both the north and south towers, towels and dirty bathing suits were hung. The people in the room below us smoked like crazy and the smoke came right up the balcony area. For as much as the rates have gone up over the years, they have not sunk any money into making these units modern, nor have the owners kept the places up. The staff, minus one lazy maintenance guy, for the most part were awesome. The manager, Josh, gave us breakfast on the last morning there. This, I must admit was delicious. The cook made the best waffles for our family. I have to say, Sea Watch banks on the fact that they are prime in location. It is ocean front and has so much to do just a drive away. But I sure would love to see Sea Watch be as loyal to its returning vacationers as we are to it!

Room Tip: South Tower is a bit quieter than the North but the North tower has a better set up for the pools, h...
      Cleanliness
3 Thank MarcyJene
Massena, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

I have vacationed at this resort three years in a row. Accommodations are average to below average. It used to be a good place for a family, there are many room choices available. Housekeeping is average, it's hard to be perfect with all the sand that gets transported in and out. Last year was extremely disappointing as the hotel was overrun with teenagers during our entire vacation. We enjoy going down to the hot tubs in the evening, however this year we were unable to get even one night in a hot tub out of 7 nights as all 8 were overloaded with unsupervised teenagers day and night. I made several attempts over multiple days to discuss with front desk staff, and no one seemed to care. Most resorts do walk thoughts of the amenities to ensure unsupervised teens are behaving appropriately but unfortunately these checks do not happen at Sea Watch, even after several complaints. The staff was rude and did not care at all that families or adults wanted to use the amenities. After three years and several thousands of $ spent, I have decided to not go back! Not a family friendly vacation spot!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Marie P
Dublin, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We just recently spent a week at the Sea Watch. We have been going there for several years. As usual, the view is outstanding. I do have to mention how great housekeeping was. I do want to compliment our housekeeper, Isabella, who was great. And when we contacted housekeeping to ask for her to keep cleaning our room during the week, they accommodated our request. The staff at the front desk was also very helpful.
Our only real complaint was that we were on the 4th floor and when the DJ was poolside, it was very noisy. Some of the music was not to our taste and we will be sure to request a room that is higher up. The rooms could also use some updating. Despite those few things we will return next year.

Room Tip: Make sure you get oceanview. Also, if you don't want to hear a lot of loud music get a room on...
2 Thank Jane T
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We just got home from a week-long stay in Sea Watch Resort's South Tower. Our beachfront room had a spectacular view and a great porch with chairs! The hotel is right on the beach with easy access. They rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach which is clean and well-maintained. We rented for the entire week. They're set up every morning and labled with a reserved sign and your name. Our three bedroom, two bathroom unit was nicely furnished and homey. There were board games, movies, books, and a guest sign in book, which were very nice touches. The weight room and game room were small and unimpressive. The pools were beautiful but we didn't use them. I saw children's activities and exercise classes, but we didn't use them either. The tiki bar made amazing drinks!!! We had a problem with the dryer in our room and maintenance worked hard to fix it and kept us updated of what was happening. My only complaint would be the housekeeping staff was awful. But we went for the view and the beach and three bedrooms and a full kitchen, and we were very happy with those! I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Wendy M
Old Bridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Our family has stayed at the Sea Watch a couple of other times and enjoyed our visits, but we just got back from this year's trip and it was better than ever. They resurfaced the pool area and the whole place was great. The staff was very friendly. My only complaint was that the internet was so slow it was unusable. But, we will definitely be visiting again, I just hope they upgrade the internet connection.

Cleanliness
3 Thank Donna G
West Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband, daughters (15 & 7), and I just spent 5 days at Sea Watch Plantation. We started out in an oceanfront one bedroom deluxe suite on the 20th floor. This was a nice sized room with lots of storage and a washer and dryer. The large bedroom had a window that opened onto the public hallway. We kept the curtain closed, but that made it feel like nighttime. We spent 2 nights in this room until there was some type of plumbing mishap (not caused by us). The hotel responded immediately to the situation, but no one knew what to do. We therefore had to pack everything up and move to a new room. The manager showed us 2 rooms. Both were oceanfront one bedrooms. You walked directly from the hall into the small bedroom, then into the narrow galley kitchen and then into the living room, which was an okay size. One smelled of cigarette smoke, so that was a no for us. I calmly told the front desk that I didn't feel it was right that we were being offered lesser rooms. Nothing else was available. They did rise to the occasion and comp us the rest of our trip, but I really hated that room. Pros: The resort handled the above situation as well as they could. Parking was free and we never had a problem finding a spot. The entire resort was very clean. On-site mini-mart was very convenient the first night we arrived since we didn't feel like getting back in the car. It was overpriced, though, so I didn't go a second time. We loved the location. Close to supermarket, the outlets, and Barefoot Landing. It was not crazy like the center of Myrtle Beach. The beaches were clean and well cared for. Cons: Pool area was VERY crowded. The DJ was also ridiculously loud. The lobby and balcony area were dated. Nothing about them were inviting. The north tower only had 4 elevators for 20 floors. The wait usually wasn't too bad. However, the morning we left, only 3 were running. They only had 2 luggage carts and a few SHOPPING CARTS to move your luggage. No bell boys. We left at 6:30 am and had to make 2 trips with the only thing available... One of the shopping carts. When we were in the first room, housekeeping didn't come until 4-4:30. After we came back from our day's outings. Then in the 2nd room they came around 9 am. We weren't ready for them the one day, and they never came back. I called down for more towels which were immediately brought up. I think our room was cleaned once. It was an okay experience. We're looking into renting a house next summer.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the North Tower if you can.
      Sleep Quality