“Okay place but.....” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #135 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
NC
“Okay place but.....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2012

Okay, when I read reviews I like all the information possible so I will make this as informative as possible. This was the 1st time staying at this place. It is not a resort, it is your average hotel. Arrived at 4pm took all of 5 minutes to complete check-in (had reservations I made online) received 2 room key cards, map of building, and done. Customer service, he sounded like a recording with absolutely NO personality but I guess they cannot all be friendly. Found a luggage cart, which was hard to find when busy, got everything into the room then on to park my car. Parking is AWFUL at this place! We NEVER were able to find a parking space at the hotel or across the street so we had to park a block over and back in a parking garage with no elevator and walk. So it is across the main st., across a large parking lot, across another street that is not well lit at night in a parking garage that had the smallest parking spaces ever especially if you are driving a SUV! As for the room, stayed on 6th floor oceanfront. I got the room during an online special for $89 a night. We were in the middle building and the pools are in front of the building, then the grassy area, then the beach. I would not want below the 6th floor and would have prefered a higher floor but view of the ocean was great. While sitting on the balcony I could hear and see all the pool activity and people in the lounge chairs at the pool could see me sitting on my balcony. We felt like everyone laying in the lounge chairs wass starring at usBalcony had 2 plastic chairs and was a regular sized balcony but the air conditioner does blow hot air on anyone sitting on that side of the balcony. I could hear the ocean just fine from in the room. The room itself...it def. needs updating! It says on the website new paint and etc but it looks like a slapped on sloppy paint job in a bright light tealish something color. I would NOT walk without shoes on in the room but my mother walked with socks and they were black within an hour. Under the little area beside the mini fridge was some chuncky yellowish stuff along the carpet edge and around the trash can.Beds were very uncomfortable to me but okay to the rest of my family. Sheets were clean, bedspread looked okay but could tell they had not been washed. No extra pillows just your standard 2 per bed. Had a college dorm size mini fridge and a small microwave, both worked and were clean. Had a room safe in the room but we did not use it, could not get it to work right. TV was an older tv but it worked fine with no issues.Bathroom was small, smaller than the pics they have online. You have to move to the side to be able to shut the door to get into the shower or use the bathroom.Toilet was clean and worked fine upon arrival. Shower curtain was not clean, had stains and in all the corners of the bathroom and around edges were dirty and dirt on walls, nothing major but def. noticeable. They give you cheap basic 1 bar of soap for sink and 1 bar for tub, 1 tiny no name bottle of shampoo with conditioner and 1 tiny bottle of lotion, a box of tissues, and an extra roll of toilet paper. Getting 1 bar of soap per day from the maid was like trying to pull teeth! Had a wall socket that we could NOT use, it was slightlyout of the wall partially so we made sure to not be around it. Lampshades were old and need to be replaced and 2 lamps were broken where you would turn them on at. You can only adjust the air by 2 degrees but it worked very good for us. Maid service, oh my gosh the maid service! We had 2 different maids and they would come at all times so we never knew when to expect them. They would be working and we could hear them next door so we would get everything ready for them and they would totally skip our room and come back hours later. One maid was rude as could be! She would take our DIRTY towels, count each one we gave her, then hand us back clean towels for every one we gave her. Forget about asking for extra, no way she said! We had 4 people but could not get towels for 4 people they would ONLY give us 3! I found it pretty gross watching her take other peoples nasty towels in her hands, who knows what was on them, yuck, throw them in the dirty laundry bin, then reach around and grab clean towels and hand to everyone and continue on to the next room doing the same thing, I would suggest they wear gloves or something to make it more sanitary! Plus, the towels and washclothes were not always clean, one time we had a towel with a large wad of black long stringy hairs inside the towel when we unfolded it and 1 towel that looked like dried brown smudges and several others with stains, really do not want to know what the brown dried up smudges were! One of the maids was very loud, the same one that was rude to us, she would be talking so loud in the hallways to other workers/people there it would wake us up, she obviousely had no respect for the people staying there. Most days she came we were in our room and she would NOT come in, she told ME to change my trash cans and hand her the bags tied, she told ME to get my dirty towels and bring to her and she would hand me everything back at the door, she would not come in and vaccuum or do anything like that if we were in our room. One day while on the beach she/they did come and they did vaccuum and make up the beds, but did not change the sheets. The whole week we slept on the same sheets. I also like to mention one of the maids used a washcloth to clean another room, bathroom and all, then went to the next room and used the same washcloth to clean that room. I think using a new clean washcloth for each room is way more sanitary! All hours of the day upon walking out of the only elevator they had and down the hall there were always very large bins piled full of dirty laundry and many of them lined up along the wall waiting to get washed and dried. Elevator worked fine for us, we never really had a long wait. Halls of building were sort of stinky and were SUPER hot. I could hear the next room when they used the microwave and when using the bathroom. Bathroom water pressure SUCKED! Everyone in my family hated the hot then suddenly cold water then back to burning hot and no pressure at all. My shower at home has more pressure.We did not eat at the Italian restaurant on site nor the breakfast they served. Italian food was costly there with some plates costing $18-22 per item so we preferred Olive Garden. Restaurant was next to our building in south tower but never entered that building. Also never got into the pools. The bar at the pool had music so loud I would not had been able to hear myself think, on top of everyone bringing their own radios and playing them, the kids yelling, the drunk people talking loud at the bar at the pool, just never wanted my kids around all of that. I wanted peace and relaxation not that. From my balcony looking straight down the pools were NOT that clean looking, I could see dirt and sediment in the bottom of the pool really bad so I refused to get in their pools or allow my kids to get in them. Did not look at or try the indoor pool or heated pools either. They did close the pools at 10pm some nights they didn't run people out until closer to 11 but they did seem pretty strict about that rule while I was there. Internet was okay, upon arrival on the map of the building I was given in the upper right corner was the password for the Internet. I was able to connect fine and it worked fine. Ice was free, had ice bucket in room and would have to take elevator down to the 1st floor and ice machine was right beside the elevator and it worked fine. Customer service at the hotel, obviousely dislike their job or just no personality. No one ever said hi to us entering or exiting the building, no one asked how we were or anything at all, asked if someone could give us a reference to a nice place to eat and they just looked at me and shrugged and told me to take my pick, not very helpful. They do have a touch screen monitor in the lobby that list some places to eat at or go to but was hoping for some true local advice. They do have what seems to be pretty good security as they had them patrolling the building every little bit making rounds, I felt safe there at night. Check out was simple, handed them the 2 room keys told them to which room and out the door I went.This place is within walking distance to the grand strand, I would say 3/4 a mile guessing. From the beach in front of hotel we could see the Skywheel every night and all the colors and was very nice. Pier is within walking distance too and there is a restaurant on the pier too.There is a cafe across the street and then just past it up the street another small grill place and Ben & Jerrys and if you walk back a block from Ben & Jerrys there is a Shoney's and some gift shops.All in all, this is your basic hotel, nothing fancy at all and not what I would consider a "resort". For the money I paid in peak season, for the oceanfront view I got, I do not think it was bad.It is in a very good location. A little more cleansliness and friendliness with some updates would have made my trip a 4 star rating! I am not picky, I do not complain, I have stayed at true 5 star resorts and some much worse than this place so I have seen it all. I TRULY hope they talk to the maids, clean a little better, update a few things, and please take on using more sanitary handling of the towels and cleaning of the rooms and this place would be well worth staying at for an oceanfront room for 5 nights tax and all for $500. It will never be a Hilton or luxury resort, but a basic and affordable hotel. Sorry for such a long review but hope it is helpful to others.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank shnncof

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

DO NOT stay here. It is a joke. Only had one elevator and it was broken. Carried beach items and 2 kids up 7 flights of steps not fun. Staff turned radio up at pool so loud at 8 AM and kept on all day. At 9 AM it was playing Howard Stern. Not something I wanted my kids to hear. YOu couldn't even hear the tv in your own room. I asked front desk to turn it down. They did for 15 minutes maybe then right back up. Waste of money for an ocean view room when you couldn't even hear the ocean. Staff is rude. I called desk to ask password for WiFi and was told hurry up and right this down, i don't have all day, I'm on the other line. The halls smell awful and the rooms scream 1975. I am still in this crap hole until morning, can't wait to leave. Lets hope I can sleep through this radio.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Myrtle Beach hotels

Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

The rooms could have been cleaner but I was not afraid to go barefoot. Towels were small but good quality. Good water pressure. Housekeeper very nice and helpful. Parking is a downside. Great views. Very small tv but who goes to the beach to watch tv. Beds hard but very clean and comfortable. Elevators not as slow as people say. I called the office about 6 times before checking in and very pleased with the way treated. After I booked the room online the rates went down and John was very willing to give me the new rates. Sent me an email confirming as promised. As I was checking in some people had their dates messed up and they were very helpful to change them. I have not noticed any odors.

• Stayed July 2012
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

If you are picky about cleanliness, don't come here! NO TV, toilet is broke, sliding door won't lock, ect. Very out dated. Toaster doesn't work, Fridge is older, shower doesnt drain very well, the beds are the MOST uncomfortable, if you are picky about these things, don't stay here! Go to the place next door, or the Go a little down the street to the glass tower. A update would make this place better!

• Stayed June 2012
Duluth, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Worst service ever. Do Not stay here. DO NOT GO IN THE POOLS>>>>>You cannot go in the pools because they bleach out your swim suit first time in. They do not care and say their signs posted advise swim at your own risk the manager is never available and they dont compensate after ruining your swim suit. be ware dont go here.

Room Tip: Worst service ever. Do Not stay here. You cannot go in the pools because they bleach out your swim s...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SUSAN G
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Ive stayed here twice. Just got back. The price is the least expensive around. Even the side view you still see the ocean. You can definately tell the rooms are very old. The sink, tub, counters, lamps, bed, everything is in need of renovations. However its a nice pool, nice small lawn and location is ideal. We walked everywhere we wanted to go. The boardwalk, broadway at the beach and any restaurant. So for a decent place and price this is a great place to stay. Im sure I'll be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank luvacationing
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

This was the first time I stayed at this hotel and was pleasantly surprised. This was the cheapest ( under $90 ) that I ever paid for a room on the beach in season and was expecting the worst. The room was clean, quiet, an in the perfect location for reaching the popular parts of Myrtle Beach without needed to take my car. My room was on the side, but I could see the beach from my patio. The italian resturant in the lobby had a good breakfast buffet and there is a cool cafe across the street. There is ample parking around the building and across the street there is a garage that is part of the hotel. The boardwalk is just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. I will definitely choose this hotel when go back to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo