“Great Marriott Resort”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We are not a Marriott timeshare owner, but I have to say that if I ever purchase a timeshare property it will be at Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas in Myrtle Beach. We have rented from owners for the last 4 years and will be staying at the resort for our 5th time this month. We would compare this property to a Sandals all inclusive resort that we vacationed at recently in St. Lucia. The villas are immaculate, the pools are sparkling clean, and the staff is very courteous and professional. Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas has spoiled us and we do not want to stay anywhere else when vacationing on the east coast.
There are activities for all ages ranging from water aerobics classes to basketball clinics. There is plenty to do at this resort without ever leaving the property. You can purchase a refillable souvenir mug for $20 and use it for unlimited soft drinks and/or Starbucks Coffee. There is a Pizza Hut Express on on the property, small store with essential groceries, and souvenirs. There is also a poolside bar and several appetizers and sandwiches can be purchased there for a much more reasonable price than at the Marriott Hotel next door. There is also live music twice a week and a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs at a reasonable price. There is a marshmallow roast for children and shrimp night for adults. I could go on and on about this place, but rest assured it is a great place to vacation at with your family.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
12  Thank TravelDurham

Reviewed 6 June 2012

My family and I just returned from a fabulous 7 nights at the oceanwatch, and we enjoyed every minute. The place is beautiful and the staff is friendly. We were checked in by Elise I believe, and she was very professional. We traded for this and to my suprise we were given an oceanview villa. It was nice sitting on the patio every morning drinking coffee or eating breakfast while looking at the ocean. It is as beautiful as Cancun. Besides the ocean, there are several pools at this resort and they are kid friendly. The snack bars located by the pools are resonably priced, and the food and drinks are very good. I would like to give a special thanks to Sandy Torres Martinez in loss prevention who was responsible for sending me some of my clothing that I left behind in the villa. I will definitely return to this great place, it was an unforgettable experience that both my family and I enjoyed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the Starfish building, the rooms al face the ocean.
3  Thank stone50
Reviewed 31 May 2012

We have found that our stays at the Marriott Ocean Watch Villas have spoiled us for most other arrangements. Everyone at the Marriott is just so pleasant and friendly. Our vacations there are so relaxing. If we need to call housekeeping(for example) to say the the iron is not working within 5 minutes a new iron arrives at our door followed by a phone call to see if the problem has been solved. Service is certainly customer oriented. The pools are immaculate, the rooms are immaculate. We really have not found a thing to complain of after multiple years vacationing there.The area is so quiet. There is no noise at all at night, just the ocean. This year we bought the painted starfish from the activities room, hand painted , and all proceeds go the the Childrens Miracle Network which seems to be very generous by those involved.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KMPY
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I go every year and ask myself If I want to go for 2 weeks or 3, or just move here altogether. It just doesn't get any better. The villas are right on the water, you take an elevator down from your 2 room villa and then walk out onto the sand. No car, no bother, no parking. With full kitchens, you can cook, or just reheat and never have to leave. I've been here for a week with no car and never got board. The beach just doesn't get better than this.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank krewerka
Reviewed 26 May 2012

The resort is lovely, but this was our third consecutive year vacationing there and we noticed the service is not as good as in previous years. The rooms and beach are outstanding and the front desk staff as professional as it gets, but that's where it ended. The pool was a little dirty for this level Marriott, and the pool bartender was downright rude when we told her one of the four $9.00 drinks we ordered was tasteless. Also, we wasted 45 minutes for pool snacks while the staff celebrated and left us and several other guests standing around waiting. It's little service things that make a difference at a high end resort like this.
The bikers were in town and the roads were a nightmare, so check the calendar for theme weeks unless you are looking for massive traffic and overcrowded everything. May 18 through 23 was peaceful, then they rollednin and took over the streets especially at dinner and evening.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank mytable42
Reviewed 25 May 2012

oceanwatch at grande dunes is our favorite marriott timeshare resort. Lovely property, beautiful ocean views, plenty of lounge chairs by the pool, convenient parking and great two bedroom fully equipped units. Located in an upscale section of myrtle beach - grande dunes.

Karim at the front desk did a great job getting us checked in. We had one minor maintenance issue in our unit and it was attended to promptly.

Overall a wonderful upscale timeshare resort!

1  Thank beachandsun064
Reviewed 25 May 2012

This resort is beautiful and it's beaches were in great shape. I did not stay here as a Vacation Club member I rented for just two nights - so I suspect my perspective differs from most. Nonetheless I think this warrants mentioning at the rates that are charged here.
We had bad weather while we were there so it limited our beach time (not the Resorts fault). - My quibbles -
1) The resort would not allow a late check out (10 AM is early by most standards) even though I was a Marriott Gold Member and the weather was poor .
2) We were placed next to the building entrance and a loud trash room.
3) For the rates charged by this facility,I was surprised to see the rooms had TVs without HD capabilities.

I think the Vacation Club members get the better rooms and overall service. Caveat emptor for those renting for a couple of nights over the internet.

3  Thank PERRYNATEDOC