“Going downhill fast”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here many years and loved it. While Myrtle Beach weather is always a gamble during March break, pools here have always been heated. NOT THIS YEAR! Despite website saying they are, the new manager has decided to not heat most of them. He decided not to heat the kids pool. There are many families here fuming that they came for March break and the kids can't go swimming. In myrtle beach, if you don't have warm pools this time of year, it is not worth coming. This sentiment is being echoed by every family we talk to. What is the point of returning without pools being heated. They have kept 2 pools heated. One is the serenity pool where there is to be no noise, therefore kid unfriendly. The other pool is dominated by college kids and every second word out of their mouth is foul.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank Terry M
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grand Dunes. We appreciate your feedback regarding the heated pools and apologize this impacted your stay. Our team would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for visiting us and providing your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our 7th visit to Marriott's Ocean watch villas as a Marriott Ocean watch timeshare owner. The property is great, staff is friendly and accommodating. Very knowledgable about local activities. The concierge has great specials on golf, and other local events. There is so much to do here, every time we spend a week we find more and more activities in the area. We visited the spa for a open house and while it was small, it provided many amenities. The only downside is the internet which is slow and requires that you log on each time that you open your device. There are multiple outdoor pools some of which are heated and an indoor heated pool and spa. They have a complete exercise room.

Room Tip: Ocean front or ocean side have a great view of the sunrise over the ocean. Lower floors have less A...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shoregal04
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We have been to this resort twice and already have reservations for a third time. We have stayed in the main section of the resort as well as the Woodsy area. Both areas have their pros and cons but overall there is no bad section of this resort. The 2 bedroom villas are nice and spacious, with plenty of room for our family of six. The beds are super comfortable, the kitchen is great to have to cooks meals in, etc. Basically, everything else you're reading about this hotel is true. The staff is exceptional, there are plenty of activities for all ages, the pools are numerous and great, the food and drinks are good, the beach is right at the foot of the resort, there is plenty of parking, etc.

The only downside was that we had smokers in the balcony underneath ours even though there is a strict no-smoking policy. We let it slide for the first couple of days but then it became annoying that we couldn't enjoy our balcony. However, this was brought to the staff's attention and they issued out no-smoking reminders that very afternoon.

Overall, this is a great resort, away from downtown Myrtle Beach, for a family to enjoy the pools, the beach, and each other's company.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank seeingtheworld22
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your family’s experience with us! Our team is happy to hear everyone had a great time on their vacation in Myrtle Beach. Please visit us again at Marriott’s OceanWatch Villas!

Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our 2nd week long stay here. We have stayed at a lot of time shares over the years and this place is a total standout. I found myself comparing the other resorts we stayed at over our month long vacation to this one, so they definately set the bar.
It is the little things. The presence of staff help with the feeling of security even though it is not "gated" I feel more secure here than I have in other resorts that are. There is staff everywhere, really taking care of the resort keeping it cleaned, maintained and making sure guests have no issues, but without intruding on your privacy.
The other real strength is the beautiful grounds, the pools are large, very warm (which REALLY matters!) we were able to swim in the outdoor pools during very cool weather because of this, a real treat. Each pools has unique details, the kids playground is fabulous and the amenities affered here are what make it so wonderful, and of course the access to the beach and the ocean views.
We arrived the week of the ice storm in Feb. and were really impressed with their preparedness for power outages and concern for the guests safety (icy walk ways, fallen trees and branches etc.) they handled it top notch!The indoor pool, hottub, sauna, steam rooms and fitness room helped us cope with the weather outside by having plenty to do inside.
The amount of activies and quality of the fitness based ones are great as well and helped me enjoy our stay even more. At home I don't have time to take fitness classes and it is really nice to indulge in that while away, especially at no extra charge! Our youngest daughter loved the activities room.
The down side was very small but worth a mention especially to management to address some issues (with plumbing?? water pressure? not sure). We had to plunge the master toliet after it overflowed, this happened last year in the master bathroom while my father stayed with us also. The tub is huge, not jetted, and you can not even close to fill it because the hot water runs out before it gets full, my step mother mentioned that last year to me as well. That really is an issue because it is such a prominent feature of the master bath. Also the garbage disposal did not work during our stay. We did not call the front desk for assistance because we did not want people in and out of our unit during our stay to fix the issues nor did we wish to pack up our things to move to another unit.
Other than that the furniture is good, and unit is very effecient and good use of space and perfect for our family of 4 and would accomadate 6 very well- 8 would be a bit tight unless you have several small children.
We would recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank METT4
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We were also there for the ice storm in Feb. As the previous reviewer stated, the resort handled everything perfectly- kept everyone advised on activities and conditions in the area. We had not planned on cooking in the unit, so for breakfast and dinner we would slide across the sheet of ice and make our way to the Marriott Hotel next door. My only recommendation would have been if the resort somehow would have cleared a path in the ice between the two resorts. The walk was extremely hazardous - but the only source for food.
Would love to return to resort in a warmer season and truly enjoy the property - which was just beautiful!

Room Tip: High and facing the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank onthego25

It is always rewarding to hear when we have exceeded our guest's expectations, even in an ice storm! We appreciate your five-star review and thank you for your kind words for our resort. Please come visit us again soon at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I had a very nice stay here in late February. I came here on a time share.The only issues I had with my room were that the plumbing was loud, so I could hear when anyone around me was running water in their bathroom, and the lights in the bathrooms took a while to come on all the way, but those are very minor things. If you plan to a lot of cooking, bring your own knife, theirs were very dull, but other than that the kitchen was well stocked.
They were doing some yearly maintenance during my stay, but slipped a note under the door letting us know when and how long it would take if something was going to be closed.
I was on the 5th floor of the pine building (requested a high floor) and could see the ocean, but only because the leaves had not come in on the trees. My room was listed as a garden view. I think the higher rooms would have a great view.
All of the facilities were very nice, all of the staff I came in contact with were friendly and helpful.
I would stay here again, but I'm not sure if I would want to pay the prices listed for summer.

Room Tip: In a 5th floor Pine building garden view room on the corner I could see the ocean through the trees.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 2suzanne1
Reviewed 1 March 2014

If you read my past reviews, you know I am a huge Marriott fan. Well, again they did not disappoint. My family and I stayed at this property 8 years ago and this was our first time back at the Villas....I can't begin to describe how nice our 2 day weekend stay was. We had a 2 bedroom, full kitchen, all amenities. Room was spotless! View of the ocean was beautiful and I could have stayed in the shower for days! (This was the best water pressure I have ever experienced)! No complaints! This place is fairly expensive but in the off season, the rates are very reasonable. This visit was President's weekend (February).

Room Tip: 12th floor Oceanview/ end of hallway has a great view and is very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family