“Great place, likely the best family option in Myrtle Beach”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
London, Canada
“Great place, likely the best family option in Myrtle Beach”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Our family has just returned from a great week at the Oceanwatch villas. The reviews here generally sum up that this is a great spot. The only downer I would note is that the 2 larger pools were not heated and as this was Canadian March break and American Spring breaks continue, it would have been a nice addition. Rooms were great, grounds were immaculate and elevators really quick for such large buildings.

Room Tip: Ocean front or ocean view in the woodsy area
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank packersfan27

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Ontario
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here last year and I noticed a couple differences that would make me re-think staying here again unfortunately.

Our room was nice, no complaints. The size is generous and our ocean view was great. It's very comfortable and for a family it's a great room/villa to feel at home in. We borrowed a high chair and pack n play so we didn't have to travel with our own.

The activities section is nice for the kids, we did crafts, pottery, story time and used the toddler play structure. We took a class on seashells which was awesome. There is lots to do.

The down side for me was the increase of university students. There are only a couple pools heated now so there were a couple times I had to leave the pool with the kids due to inappropriate language and behaviour. More than once we came back to our room and passed barely dressed drunk kids stumbling around the hall in the afternoon. Not kid friendly. I wish that the university kids were together in their own section. Last year the hotel seemed more strict on the party policies. Last year we did not have this experience at all so something changed.

I was also disappointed the kids pool wasn't heated.

It's familiar and I like it here but the party goers are a big turn off for staying again.

Stayed March 2014
10 Thank Sailor77
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott's OceanWatch Villas! We are happy to hear your family enjoyed their spacious villa and the numerous kid's activities. Your feedback about other guest's behavior is also appreciated and we apologize this impacted your stay. We will share your comments with the resort leadership to ensure appropriate staffing is present during peak periods. Thank you again for visiting and we hope to see you again soon!
Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have stayed here at least 6 times, if not more (it all is running together now) and each time, it has been great! Every year around Christmas, my family rents two 2-bedroom condos for the week, and they usually accommodate them right across, next to each other, or the ones on the corners (best views depending on which side you get). We have stayed all over the property and I have not had a bad room yet. My favorite villas are always the ones that look over the pools during Christmas because you can sit on your balcony or keep the door open and listen to the Christmas music they have playing out by the pools. They also provide kiddie entertainment, even during the winter which is nice since we have a toddler that travels with us.

The two room villas are great and spacious, I love love love the huge tub in the master bathroom. Generally (meaning I haven't seen other wise), there is one king room with a huge master bath connected and this room usually has the best views. Then there is a two queen bedroom with a bathroom as well. The kitchen is stocked with everything that you could need for cooking and staying in; my family rarely goes out to eat at the beach and make huge meals. There's a Food Lion and Lowe's Food probably less than a mile away and a Walmart maybe 3 miles away, by the Tanger Outlets (which is also nice to have close by!).

I'm a senior in college and have also come here for one of my spring breaks with 3 other girlfriends and had a blast. We had a villa on the first floor overlooking the hot tub that time. There were not many other spring breakers there since it is more of a family resort, but the ones that were there were fun. We made friends with them and all hung out in the pools, hot tubs, and went out together. I don't think we were ever really that loud, and security never said anything to us (there also weren't many if any families at this time since it was early March).

Also, if you have pets, they are not allowed at the hotel, but there are a few kennels in the area that allow you to get your dogs during the day and take them out to the beach. We use the walkway and take them out there, but we never bring them in the rooms. I'm not sure if the hotel is necessarily aware that people do this, but we have never had anything said to us.

The pools are great and beautiful too look at even if you're not into swimming. I believe they're generally heated during the winter and the perfect temperature during the summers. The lagoon hot tub is my favorite, it's in the woodsy area by where the huge kid pool and playground are. A night, it is truly beautiful and secluded. You really can't go wrong with any of the pools, though, even the indoor ones.

In all the times that I have stayed here, I have never honestly had much interaction with the staff, but the few times I have, they have been very helpful. I've never needed anything delivered to my room or had many questions, so our interaction goes about as far as asking late check out. Each unit has their own washer, drier, and dishwasher with some detergent provided for each, so you wash your own towels and dishes when you like, there's no need for housekeeping (though I'm assuming you could have them come if you really wanted and probably paid). It's very relaxing to do things at your own pace and not have to worry about housekeeping coming in though.

Overall, it's a great hotel and we will continue to go back year after year! I hope this helps!

Room Tip: If you go during Christmas and like Christmas music, ask for a room facing the pools
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mcraigatron
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The hotel is great, our third year year. This year they decided not to heat the kids pool with the gradual entry and water features. Kids are really upset they can't swim like in previous years. Two pools they kept open are too deep and overrun by university kids. We even requested a villa near the kids pools and over numerous emails were never told the pool wouldn't be heated. 46 degrees is unswimmable. While we enjoy other aspects of the resort, not being able to swim will force us to go elsewhere next year. It's too bad, all the workers told the manager not to close this pool but he ignored the front line workers. The atmosphere is bad as families keep complaining to each other about being duped by past practice and false info on website. Resort might have saved a few dollars this year but guaranteed to lose many customers next year.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Mags548
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Thank you for visiting Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grand Dunes. While we are happy to hear you enjoyed your villa, we apologize the pools did not meet your expectations. During the winter months, two outdoor pools remain open for our guests to enjoy as well as an indoor pool. Our team would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for visiting us at Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas.
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I have visited Marriott's Oceanwatch Villas at Grande Dunes twice and I have really , really enjoyed both stays. This is kid and family friendly place. It feels like home away from home. Everyone is friendly from the staff to the visitors that's here staying. Each visit I have stayed oceanfront and I love waking up to see the sun rise. Its so beautiful. I recommend this place to anyone. For a clean lovely place please stay here.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Ashley J
Oshawa
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here many years and loved it. While Myrtle Beach weather is always a gamble during March break, pools here have always been heated. NOT THIS YEAR! Despite website saying they are, the new manager has decided to not heat most of them. He decided not to heat the kids pool. There are many families here fuming that they came for March break and the kids can't go swimming. In myrtle beach, if you don't have warm pools this time of year, it is not worth coming. This sentiment is being echoed by every family we talk to. What is the point of returning without pools being heated. They have kept 2 pools heated. One is the serenity pool where there is to be no noise, therefore kid unfriendly. The other pool is dominated by college kids and every second word out of their mouth is foul.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
15 Thank Terry M
Thank you for visiting Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grand Dunes. We appreciate your feedback regarding the heated pools and apologize this impacted your stay. Our team would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. Thank you again for visiting us and providing your feedback.
Warrington, PA
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This was our 7th visit to Marriott's Ocean watch villas as a Marriott Ocean watch timeshare owner. The property is great, staff is friendly and accommodating. Very knowledgable about local activities. The concierge has great specials on golf, and other local events. There is so much to do here, every time we spend a week we find more and more activities in the area. We visited the spa for a open house and while it was small, it provided many amenities. The only downside is the internet which is slow and requires that you log on each time that you open your device. There are multiple outdoor pools some of which are heated and an indoor heated pool and spa. They have a complete exercise room.

Room Tip: Ocean front or ocean side have a great view of the sunrise over the ocean. Lower floors have less A...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple