“You know it's good when teens didn't want to leave!”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbia, MD
“You know it's good when teens didn't want to leave!”
Reviewed 8 August 2010

We just returned from a wonderful week at the Marriott Oceanwatch and my entire family didn't want to leave! From the friendly staff that greeted us in the parking lot to the beautiful grounds and rooms, this resort is tops in all areas. We rented a week from owners and fell in love with this place! The rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. The largest timeshare we've ever stayed in. The grounds are beautiful, lush and tropical feeling; we enjoyed just walking around at night and felt safe and secure even in the parking garage. There is so much to do in Myrtle Beach but some days we didn't leave the property. There are activities galore and if you have young kids, there's so much to do! There's so much going on at this resort and we enjoyed the live music at the pool just listening from our spacious balcony. We loved the beach but didn't use the pools which were the cleanest we have EVER seen at a hotel! Nice, clear water (with a little sand towards the end of the day but not the hotels fault) and plenty of places to sit in the water and cool off for the non swimmers. A few guest do seem to linger in the main pool late at night, but they didn't disturb our sleep. Plus, the giant and very heavy sliding glass door did it's job of blocking out any noise! This resort has it all from great food including Pizza Hut and Starbucks (a big hit with my teens!) to delicious sandwiches and wraps at the pool bars. In fact my kid teased me for bringing food from home since we really didn't need it! We hit the local Super Walmart (don't go on Saturday night, it can get crazy!) for some staples like milk and bread, but we really didn't need the lunch items I brought because the kids could just get food from anywhere on the property and charge it to the room. They loved being able to be independent and we did too. And the prices were very resonable. The activities were wonderful.....something for everyone, even just adults. We just can't say enough about this wonderful resort and can't wait to go back. It was our first time staying here, but certainly not our last!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank inmygarden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2010

I've owned Ocean Front Platinum since they opened Ocean Watch and enjoy the property. However, this year a new "points deal" has been added that, I believe, affects owner scheduling for 2011. By regulation, if you own only one week, you can only make reservations 12 months in advance. I attempted to make reservations on-line from the property and the wifi was down and the reservations were full in 8 minutes. Again, on the second try the following Friday, they were gone in 12 minutes. Of course it took 12 minutes to get through on the telephone. The 3rd week, I sat on the web site and at two minutes prior to release, I was kicked off the site and it went down. I was unable to re-log-in to the site until 9:30. You guessed it, everything was gone again. I think Ocean Watch has gotten too large to accommodate the entire owner population. I believe it is time to sell.

Ron from Ashburn, VA

1 Thank VirginiaUSMCVeteran
Follansbee, West Virginia
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We visited this resort for the first time in July based on reviews from tripadvisor......a few days before our stay, I had read a detailed review that mentioned they were disappointed in their room placement and that they had to walk a half a mile to get to the beach. Having a disabled child, I was very concerned and called oceanwatch directly to request a low room close to the beach and facilities for my child. It was then I was told we were getting a gardenview room in the back of the resort with a walk of 150-200 yards to the beach and main pools!!! When I made my reservations through marriotts central reservation line I was not told the layout of this resort and was deceived in believing there was only two views....oceanfront and oceanview....this is not true. If this is your first time visiting, make sure you ask which building you will be reserving your room in. There are five buildings, with three near the front and two in the back. You may want a quiet out of the way room, but our situation was quite different with our son, and I was disappointed with the way it was handled. After several phone calls, we were able to get our room switched to something closer in the front buildings, but not without an additional charge. We were pleased with the pools, activities offered, and cleanliness. It is a beautiful resort, but for the price, make sure you are getting in the building of your choice. We were stressed out before arriving and a vacation is not meant to be this way!

1 Thank countryroads14
Sandusky, OH
Reviewed 15 July 2010

As always a nicely laid out - amenity filled resort. Activities abound for your young ones. You could literally stay at the resort and never be bored.

What I've come to expect from Marriott VacationClub properties!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My family and I just returned from our seven night stay at OceanWatch. We were in the newly opened Pine Building since we own a Gardenview villa. All units at MOW are 2bed/2bath and are very nicely appointed. I will try to touch on the basics, but please feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific questions.

Check-In: Check-in was very easy and quick. There were two families in front of us, but we were at the check-in desk no more than ten minutes, including waiting in line. We were also provided a VIP card which gave us discounts at many popular restaurants and businesses.

Condition of Unit & Property: The unit was very nice and in great condition. The pool and common areas were also very clean and well maintained.

Kitchen Features: The kitchen is well stocked with dishes and cookware as well as Palmolive, dishwasher detergent and plenty of towels. The villas have a nice full-size range, refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher.

Planned Activities: We were quite impressed with the planned activities for the week. Many activities were family oriented and some were more geared toward certain age groups, but it was nice to see activites for adults as well as children. The activities by the campfire are nice (smores, etc.) and my son enjoyed bingo at the pool as well as the ice cream sundaes in the afternoons. I also think the "Kids Night In" is a great idea, however, we did not take advantage of it this year.

Amenities: The pools at MOW are wonderful! The Woodsy Pool is probably our favorite because of the waterslide and the close proximity to our villa, the treehouse, etc. MOW was at full capacity while we were there, but the pools didn't seem crowded at all. There were plenty of chairs, etc. My only suggestion would be that additional umbrellas or additional chairs with umbrellas should be added to the pool areas. The treehouse was very popular with my son because of the "fun factor" and very popular with me becasue of the "safety factor". Additonally, my husband enjoys the gym and the sauna almost everyday and did not feel it was overcrowded, etc. The MarketPlace is very nice for lunch or to grab something that you forgot at the grocery. It is very reasonably priced. The Pizza Hut was wonderful - we reveived great service and everything we ordered was delicious. The Woodsy Pool bar was good also.. Drinks were very reasonably priced - much cheaper than at most resorts. It should also be mentioned that MOW guests receive a discount at the adjacent Marriott's spa.

Staff: The staff at MOW is wonderful! They do all they can to make your trip enjoyable. Everyone from the pool staff to servers make it smile and always say hello. The Pool Supervisor at the Woodsy Pool was absolutely wonderful! He went above and beyond by always stopping to talk and even advising us of the weather and the UV index. He was great! The concierge staff was very helpful with setting up tee times, getting some great golf discounts and helping with dinner reservations/suggestions. Every request at MOW was addresses quickly and accurately!

Convenience to Area Attractions: One of the things we love the most about MOW is that we are close to attractions (golf, Broadway at the Beach, shopping, restaurants, etc.), but not too close. We like that MOW is away from the the hustle and bustle, but close enough to take advantage of it if we want!

Additional Fees: Nothing really applies here -- internet and parking are included.

Suitability: I would recommend MOW for families, relaxing, girls getaways, golf getaways, etc. Anyone who wants to stay at a great resort with an excellent staff should try MOW.

I hope this review has been helpful and again, please feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

6 Thank UKFan78
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2010

This location is the reason that people own with Marriott. Sparling clean, friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful pools, right on the ocean with private beach access. All of us had a great experience and will keep coming back!

Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 July 2010

We will be back down next week and are so excited!! This will be our 3rd time down... since we bought in 2005