“Our Stay At Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas Was More Than We Expected!!”

Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes
Ranked #1 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 15 December 2010

Service was excellent. Got into our condo. immediately. Had a very large beautiful 2 bedroom w/ 2 baths, full kitchen, TV in every room. Not right on the ocean but one bldg. off the ocean. Had a great view from our outside balcony. They had all kinds of things going on every day if you wanted to join in & have fun. They even had a small party store where you could buy milk, bread, fresh pizza, fresh brewed coffee, & etc. The Marriott Hotel was right across the street. It was BEAUTIFUL!! It had a very nice restaurant, with a great menu. (Kind of Pricey, but after all you are on vacation) The weather was 69 to 75 every day. Other restaurant's & lots of golf courses within a 5 mile radius.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Marriott's OceanWatch Villas at Grande Dunes

998 - 1,004 of 1,107 reviews

Reviewed 13 December 2010

I stayed here for a week with my parents, my aunt, two cousins, and two young children. The unit was clean and nice. The master was very lovely. The kitchen was a little smaller than other Marriott villas but not too bad. I do have to say that the thermostat didn't work very well. The spare room was controlled by the living room. The living room would be comfortable but the spare room was stifling. We used the ceiling fan to help. It wasn't bad enough to complain, but it was a uncomfortable.

We stayed at Ocean Watch because we were attending a sales meeting to see if we wanted to buy at this particular resort. I currently own one unit and my parents own two.
Staying in Myrtle Beach in November is great because there are no crowds. With this being said, we were very disappointed that we were placed in a unit in the building farthest from the beach and not high enough to see the ocean at all. Almost the entire building was empty, yet we couldn't be higher to see the view or in a closer building? We saw very few people at all at the resort and the parking lots were quite empty. We were very surprised because we were there to buy and we were given such a poor location. We did not but needless to say.

There are many pools. The kid centered pool is away from most things which is nice and there are lots of things for kids to do. The tree house was a favorite of the kids. The main pool was very elegant as well.

I was disappointed in the Market Place. It was small in my experience with other Marriott villas and only had pre-prepared foods. Not such a great option.

There is no business center, but you can pay $0.35 per minute to use their computer and printer (I needed to print my airline ticket), but they do not tell you that they use an international company and you get charged for international fees. Poor service in my mind. But the wi-fi in the villas did work well.

Overall, Ocean Watch is fine. I've just stayed at much nicer Marriott Villas.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Ashley N
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My spouse, my brother and his fiance have visited this resort 2 years in a row together. My spouse and I are owners. One day during our visit this year my brother and his fiance left out the door or the villa we all were staying in and saw a maid standing in the hallway they spoke to the her and she asked them if they were leaving. They responded by saying not checking out just going out to eat. They proceeded to get on the elevator. About a minute after they got on the elevator the villa door opened and it was the maid. She thought no one was in the villa and we certainly had not ask for housekeeping. She was so shocked when she saw me and my spouse sitting on the balcony. She made up this lame story about wanting to leave some ice cream she got from another room (that someone had left after checking out) for my sister-in-law. I told her that didn't sound right so I immediately called the front desk and they sent security up and he used a card in the door to see if the maid had used her card to get in and sure enough she was caught. I don't know what happened to her but the front desk employees and no one else ever addressed the matter with us again. I kinda thought for a minute that they thought we were telling a lie. I was not happy at all because they could have at least apologized for this lady's actions who was obviously getting ready to rip us off! BEWARE OF YOUR BELONGINGS!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
16  Thank harddogg2000
Reviewed 25 November 2010

We traded our a time share for this Thanksgiving so we could bring our 80 year old Dad who is recovering from hip replacement. With a call ahead, Marriott provided (free) a wheelchair, shower chair, beach wheelchair, toilet seat, and other special needs for some recovering from surgery. The units were comparable in size to many other Marriott time shares. The bed rooms were slightly smaller, though the second room had two full beds. All beds were uncomfortable (very surprising for a Marriott). The weather cooperated in the low 70s (considered a bit warm for this time of year). The resort was about 40% full and the adjacent hotel was even less; so it was peaceful. The Marriott Hotel provided a great Thanksgiving Dinner for $25pp. Activities were limited this time of year and were geared to families. The outdoor pools were heated, and indoor pool was nice. Many Myrtle Beach entertainment or eating places close up for the season, but there are still enough open to satisfy any desires. Especially recommend Brookgreen Gardens as an activity on Thanksgiving.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Foster32
Reviewed 9 November 2010

The view from you villa is breathtaking. We stay in the Conch building, (there is 3 or 4 buldings on the ocean and two behind (they are newer). But I love being on the ocean. You feel like your on a private beach because the other hotels are far away from you. Most people don't leave, they bring all their food and cook on the grills. The Mariott has a hotel next door if your didn't want to cook every night. There is also a cafe near the pool where they sell everything. I love it there!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank deewearsgucci
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We refused to let the following ruin a wonderful vacation. The only problem I had with this resort is their unwillingness to confirm the location of the unit that you have exchanged for. I have been a timeshare owner since 1983 and have never encountered this problem before. Everywhere else I have exchanged into has been wonderful and upfront about questions such as these. The Marriott OceanWatch has ocean front, ocean view, and what they call a garden view rooms. Multiple inquiries were made as to the location of the unit on the property prior to arrival, but each inquiry was met with what I will call a "dodge." Then a "personal concierge" called a few days prior to our arrival and was very cordial and informative, but she too did not answer my question concerning the location of our room. (I did request OV or ocean front if possible and they said they would do what they could). She also asked if we would be interested in attending a sales presentation. I told her we were not interested as we already own multiple weeks. Of course, once we arrived we were in a garden view room, no possibility of a change and the young man at check-in had obviously been schooled as well on a "take or leave it attitude," no conversation, no possibility for a compromise. When our personal concierge came to our room for an introduction and to go over our goody packet of coupons, etc, I told her that I would have had a lot more respect for the way that the Marriott did business if they had just been honest with us up front. If I trade for a garden view, so what, that is the chance I take on exchanges, but to dodge a direct question when asked makes one feel as if had I agreed to a sales presentation when she called, then would my room request have been honored? She, of course, denied this as expected, but one must wonder. Common sense dictates that if you are trying to sell something, then you will put your "best foot forward." All things considered, there is nothing wrong with the resort itself. It is a beautiful place with everything you could ask for at a top quality resort. Just don't expect a straight answer to a direct question either by the hotel staff or the sales staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank rabbitt1000
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We just returned home from a week at Ocean Watch Villas. The weather was absolutley perfect and we had a fabulous vacation. The resort is beautiful, the staff is great. We are Ocean Watch owners, and although we are experiencing trouble booking our week, it is wonderful once we get there! We hope to be able to go back each year in the future. The golf conciere's Carrie, Gordon and Deb are the best and set us up with great golf.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends