“bachelor party”
Review of Legends Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Legends Resort
Ranked #78 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Overall I liked the resort. My problem was with the golf. The courses were very nice, it was the double booking and pace of play that was the problem. After nine holes everyone in our group was frustrated. Its hard to wait on every shot. The staff was very friendly, the condo was nice. Really everything was nice except for the pace of the golf.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TomsRiverNjBerky
There are newer reviews for Legends Resort

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Went with 9 other men for 4 days in late April. We stayed in the condos and played all 3 Legend courses as well as 2 others in the area. I and a few other serious golfers were not impressed with the Legend courses. The courses were not in the best of shape, Fairways were so-so and the greens were; well, the only word I can come up with is "ratty". Hard and rough. This resort can get up to 1000 rounds per day and the courses show it. Not to mention the fact that they let out twosomes and fivesomes wich is a big problem for me and the others. The round was almost 6 hours. When a ranger was asked; all said was "it must be members". Really? On the other hand, the accommodations were nice. Two bedroom condos with 2 full baths. Very clean and fully furnished with digital cable. Had problems with the free wireless. I have been on Myrtle golf outings many times and this is one of the few times the golf courses did not meet expectations. My home courses (GA & MA) are much nicer. We played Arnold Palmer's Kings North; now, that was a golf course.

4  Thank meddle24
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Three of my friends and I stayed at this golf complex to attend Ted Frick's Golf School.

GOLF SCHOOL - Ted Frick is an excellent instructor, has facts to support his conclusions about the mechanics of a good golf swing, and is outstanding in imparting the knowledge. The school lasts from 8:30 to 12:30 each day. The work is hard and we were sore every day from golf practice and then a golf game after school at one of the three courses. Ted provides a small pamphlet which provides great reminders of the basic mechanics of golf. Like Dave Pelz, Mr. Frick is science based - his thesis is that golf is a function of physics and mathematics, specifically geometry. He talks about angles - angles of the clubface at impact, angles of arms during the swing, and the absolute necessity of maintaining a consistent triangle of the two arms during the swing. He showed us many drills designed to infuse those elements into our swing. At the end of the school, he offered to adjust our clubs to fit our swing based upon his fact-based analysis (swing speed using driver and 8-iron, and lie of the club (upright or flat). The prices for adjustments were more than fair. For example, he reshafted my sand wedge for $65 and bent my friend's irons to 2 degrees flat for $3 each. Anyone interested in improving their game would find this school very worthwhile.

CONDOS - are nice. Two of us shared a two bedroom condo - we each had our bath and did not get into a fight for the entire four nights. They are nicely appointed and furnished. I would rather stay in one of these than a hotel room.

BREAKFAST AT CLUBHOUSE - breakfast was included in our package. The food was good and there was plenty of it. At times the clubhouse was very crowded and it was challenging to find a table. However the buffet is built for speed. Overall I would rate as very good.

IN SUMMARY - five stars for Mr. Frick's Golf Academy, four stars for Legends condos and breakfast.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

Two of us just returned from MB, been there many times before and for golf this is one of the best for the value. 2 bedroom condo was sufficient for our needs, we did have an issue on 2 of the nights with noice for the unit below us. Called security at 2:30 in the morning, they did come over, but the noice just went from the back to the front. complained about it the next day, they said if it happens again they can move us. Why not move them or kick them out....easier to move the people that are complaining I guess.

Courses were great, played the 3 on site and the 2 off site. Breakfast was good, the only issue I would have was getting your lunch, not enough time to get the ones off the menu, unless you ordered it before you went out and took it with you. At the turn alll they had in the snack bar was one sandwich or a hot dog.

Pub was good, ate there once, food was ok, felt it was overpriced. Staff very friendly, good deal at happy hour.

Would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you get a 2 bedroom condo, try for the ground level.
1  Thank thetat
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Eight of us just returned from a week at Legends. Overall, a great place. Condos were clean and provided all the basic necessities. Are they Hilton calibre accommodations? No. But let's keep this in perspective: they cater overwhelmingly to golfers/groups of golfers who are there for one thing -- to play golf. We played 36 holes 5 out of 6 days. We left the condos at 6:30 a.m. and usually didn't return until well after dinner, at which point we were whacked. A couple of hours for a "beverage" or two and it was time to rest up for the next day. So in reality, we only "used" the condos for perhaps 3-4 conscious hours a day, and they were more than sufficient. Golf courses, while not "PGA calibre", were excellent -- fun, challenging, fair and in great condition -- something for everyone, although none of us were that thrilled with the Moorland course. It just seemed too contrived with too much emphasis on what I would call "target golf". The only other legitimate negative I can come up with was the food at the pub -- not necessarily "bad" but certainly nothing to write home about. We found the food much better in the clubhouse, but it's all relative -- it's bar/pub food, so your expectations should be adjusted accordingly. I'd read posts elsewhere about the marshalls being like rude dictators with slow play. We never had any issues with any of the marshalls at any of the courses; in fact, I would argue they were all without exception quite the opposite -- VERY friendly and courteous. Our group received a couple of "nudges" to speed up on only one morning -- it had rained the night before and we were limited to "cart path only", which caused us some headaches (of course our poor shot making had nothing to do with it ;) ). The marshall, however, was pleasant and to the point. And I say keep it up -- slow play is becoming the death of golf. They clearly have it posted for all to see: you are expected to keep pace for a round of 4:45. I don't know about others but if you can't play a round in 4:45 with carts, you should consider a less challenging venue or sport. We found the staff, be it at the clubhouse restaurant, check-in/out, pro-shop, bag drop -- everywhere -- to be very courteous and efficient. Let's remember again -- they likely get bombarded with groups of drunk, middle-aged male tourists day-in and day-out (our entire group fit that bill, except for the drunk part). I found all it took was some basic courtesy on our part and it was rewarded with more courtesy in return -- what a novel idea. We're already planning our return trip for next year.

Room Tip: Second floor condos are quieter but you'll have to haul your stuff up the stairs.
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Maybe the best deal in MB. Our group is going back for our 3rd time this month. For the price, you can't beat this deal. The courses range from fun to challenging and in good shape. They are not championship courses, but definitely better than your average public course. The varying tees make it suitable for all levels. Our group handicaps range from the low to mid teens and everyone agreed that the courses were challenging, but fun.

The real seller for me was the fact that you had everything right there on the resort and the package included breakfast, 2 beers each day, and unlimited use of the driving range and putting/chipping greens. To me, that definitely beat other years where we had to drive all over MB to get to the courses.

The downside is that you're not really close to much decent nightlife if you're looking to party and really the only nearby food options are chain restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ace_kinkaid
Reviewed 29 March 2013

First time there last week with 3 guys and played 3 1/2 rounds (weather issue 1 day) on Healthland and Moorland. Overall, it was an ok experience, given the chill and rainy weekend. Both courses in nice shape, beautiful scenery and challenging greens. Nice driving range and putting green, too. We had two 2-bedroom condos and they were very nice, clean and spacious. Housekeeping staff very good. Only thing to watch when booking condos is to try to get near Ailsa Pub so the travel isn't so long...pretty big complex. And if you don't have a car with you, you're dependent on the shuttle.

I've written a lot of reviews of places I've been and rarely drop to a 3-star or worse, but in this case, the service level in the clubhouse/bar cast a shadow over the whole experience. And normally I won't be down on a place over service (anyone can have a bad day), but when you see it consistently over 4 days, it's not an aberration. With the exception of a young reddish-haired waitress, whose name escapes me, it was virtually impossible to get a smile out of anyone...and it coincided with a service approach where they basically looked at you and waited for you to say something.

Buffet breakfast was filling, but with exception of good scrambled eggs, better to stay with cereal and spend your calories on alcohol later. Coming in for a quick 'to go' sandwich.after 9 holes was very trying...as if we were interrupting. Not good, and the fact that it was pervasive indicates a training issue that begins with the manager.

Conversely, staff in the pro shop and the golf staff, from Mo the starter, the shuttle guys, bag guys and on-course staff were excellent. Also, staff and food at Ailsa Pub, which I believe is not owned by Legends, was excellent. Kelly was the best there!

Myrtle Beach is sprawling, so best to have a designated driver in group for going out if you want to avoid $30-40 cab rides to town.

Room Tip: Request near Ailsa Pub so you can walk there for a beer if you don't have car, rather than wait...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Super 8 Conway/ Myrtle Beach Area
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 9 in Conway

Been to Legends Resort? Share your experiences!