“It's nice”
Review of Carolina Dunes

Carolina Dunes
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This resort was ok. Check in took forever and it was packed so we were waiting 10 to 15 minutes for an elevator every time we left the room. We were on the 10 th floor and taking the steps were out of the question. The pool and lazy river were small for a resort that size and they couldn't keep pool towels stocked. The room was clean and really nice and right on the beach.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Crystal K

Reviewed 15 May 2013

This is the third time we have stayed at Carolina Dunes and we will be back. The beds are amazingly comfortable and the kids love having their own bedroom and bath, and it has all the comforts of home. Being at the beach is always fun, but oceanfront is the best! Our family loves the breakfast buffet at the Santa Maria too.

Room Tip: We live #402 at Carolina Dunes.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Wanda S
Reviewed 21 April 2013

My family has vacationed here before, but this was my first time staying at the Dunes. We went at the end of Spring Break, and the place was booked solid. It was cold and raining outside the entire visit but it didn't matter because there were two indoor water-parks for the family. All of the staff that we encountered went out of their way to make our stay very comfortable. We had a two room suite that was bigger than my first apartment. We will definitely stay here again! The bar tenders at the restaurant were outstanding! Make sure to book rooms well in advance.

Room Tip: Book your rooms early because they sell out quickly! If you want it to be quiet get a room away from...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed with a friend to run the Myrtle Beach marathon. We called to book a room at the better rated Caravelle, but we later found out that we were assigned to the Carolina Dunes. The agency charges your credit card up front, which I don't remember anyone else doing. The parking is better at the Dunes, but you walk across the street for amenities.

The condo we stayed in, # 103, was worn out. Inside, the paint was marred and shabby. The unit itself was clean - we really had no complaints with cleanliness - and we enjoyed the true oceanfront balcony. The mattress was worn out too; you could feel the coils in the mattress.

We enjoyed our stay but only slept in the condo.

Room Tip: ask which building they put you in and find out what's there to match to what you want for your...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank turtles2
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Here's the truth, the whole truth, and nothin but the truth (Again)! I booked a 2 bdrm, 2 bath (4 adults and 2 teen girls) unit due to the need for more space. Bdrm 1 had 2 Queen beds and the LR had a queen pull-out couch. I was referred to the Caravelle by my boss who absolutely loves this place. I, on the other hand, have travelled too much to "love" this resort. I really hate to write what I have to write because the location was great, the kids had a ball, and the size of the condo unit was great too! The buidlings and the condo units just seemed really dated and need some renovations.

BUT..... FIrst, I thought we had a unit at the Caravelle Resort's main building, but we were next door at the Carolina Dunes, which was better anyways. We were in unit 303 ocean front. You could not ask for a better view in a better spot. We had teenagers with us so we were able to let them run wild from the beach to our pool to the main pool and back without leaving the balcony. The balcony was huge!

Okay here we go.....The unit's decor was dated and dusty. There were dusty plastic plant everywhere, and I mean everwhere! The kitchen was okay (still dated). The carpet was not good. It had juice stains and other stains that I could not identify. Now to other people this may not be a bad thing. To me it made me wonder what else was not clean. I could not walk on the carpet without shoes. The DR and LR furnitures were nice too. The 1st full bathroom was okay (could use and updated tub and shower). The master bathroom definatedly needs a new shower overhaul. There was black mold around the old metal and glass sliding door. I went to the store and purchased cleaning products, including the Mr. Clean bathroom eraser and this stuff would still not come all the way off. So, with that, I have no idea what the black stuff was. However, I felt better that I had cleaned it myself. I did tell the cleaning ladies about it the next morning though. That was another good thing about this place: the cleaning ladies come everyday! We are used to timeshare/condo untis whereby the cleaning people only come once during your stay to empty the garbage and MAYBE replace towels.

The Dunes is located right next door to the main resort (Towers). The good thing about the Dunes is that you have PARKING! You do not have to fight to park in the parking garage across the street. We never had a problem finding a parking space. There are 2 small elevators that ran pretty quickly. The entry-way always smelled like illegal cleaning materials. I say that because the smell was a strong disinfectant and my husband works for federal OSHA so he smelled it too. I assumed that since the hotel was older, they had to use the strong stuff because of all the ocean water, pool water, and heat that will cause mustyness (is that a word?).

Dunes has it's own pool by the beach (nice), but you are also allowed to use the Main Tower pool. We could see the Tower's pool and lazy river from our balcony (nice). The Tower pool area is nice and the kids loved it! We were told that you could get pool towels but we never saw anyone with them, so we had to go out and get the girls beach towels. There is a Tiki Bar with OK drinks and nice looking burgers. The bartenders were very nice and they kept the area around the bar clean. Actually, there was always someone on duty cleaning.

The location of the Carvelle was very good. It's in North Myrtle around 68th Street. Everything was super-convenient: K-Mart, CVS, Places to eat, Broadway at the Beach was a straight shot, etc.....

All in all, it as a good stay. I am torn about the condo unti because we were told that they were all individually owned, so some of them could have been updated. The front desk staff was good too. Also, I posted these same reviews with the Caravelle when they emailed me last week and I actually received a letter from the manager who apologized for any complaints and they said that they would look into my concerns. That was nice!

This resort was not cheap, so if I was going to Myrtle Beach next summer, I would probably pay a few dollars more to stay at a newer and nicer place like the Marriott at the Dunes. I gave it a "Very Good" because there were some things that were just that.

Lastly, the internet access was very slow. My husband went to the check-in building to check his emails. I had no concerns with that.

Room Tip: Bring Clorox Wipes and beach towels.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank CTgirl70
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Our stay here was probably the best one we have had at Mytrle Beach. Everything was clean and quiet. Our condo was beautiful. The only thing we would like to see is a hot tub added to the property.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank jen59341
Reviewed 10 July 2010

When we initially arrived at The Caravelle, we were disappointed. We had booked a room through one of the popular internet discount sites, and regretted it. The room that we were given was in the older tower, and did not meet our expectations at all! Feeling duped, I phoned to demand a refund, but was told that I would have to go through the company in which we booked the room. We proceeded to the Front Desk to check out, but the manager told us not to worry. She gave us a choice of 3 rooms to choose from at the main location. We were extremely pleased with ALL 3 and had a hard time making a decision. They were all great! We ended up with a huge room with an ocean view, flat screen tv, dvd player, oversized king bed, sleeper sofa, safe, stove, fridge, microwave-the amenities were endless. My husband and I often times lounged in the bed or on the balcony, sipped margaritas and watched the ocean and beachcombers. The location was conveniently located on the main "strip". We could walk to nearby eateries. My only complaint was that we could hear the elevator as guests rode it. It probably would have bothered me if everything else wasn’t so wonderful. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here, and will seek out The Caravelle on our next visit.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple