“Our Annual Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Carolina Dunes
Kitchener, On Canada
“Our Annual Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We have been coming to Myrtle Beach each year since 1968 and for the last 18 years we have always stayed at The Caravelle. It's like home for us. The rooms are great, the service very good, the facilities excellent and the value in off season is pleasing to the wallet. We like the location, in that it is not so busy as right downtown but still in easy access to everything that is great about MB. We are looking forward to our next stay at The Caravelle.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Radford, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Caravelle did an excellent job making me and my family feel welcome and cared for. The rooms were comfortable, clean and extremely affordable. Staff was courteous and knowledgeable. I was in town for a wedding but now plan to bring my family back during the offseason for getaway weekends.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Albemarle, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Visited the caravelle again and the room was great - view was great - service was great
Down on business and they took care of me once again We have been staying here over 20 years I found a room that I enjoy and they are good enough to let me stay in that room unless it is rented which is great

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Waynesville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

We make one or two trips to Myrtle Beach each year. On this occasion we were bringing grandchildren and chose the Caravelle for the availability of a three bedroom condo and the water park amenities. We found the water park to be adequate, but actually did not use them much.

We were located in room 106 of the Carolina Dunes building, which was older and needed some upgrading. Furnishings in the room were average and included nice appliances and a washer and dryer, which is nice for longer stays. The elevators were slow to react, some stairs' doors would not close properly. This building is across the street from the main Caravelle Resort building. It was quieter with less quest activity, which was very enjoyable.

There were two pools at this building, regular size and kiddie pool. We found these to fit our needs well and the young grand children enjoyed them greatly. They could play unhindered due to fewer guests.

Be aware of the beds available in each room, as they are furnished differently. Ours had one full size bed in the master bedroom, and twin beds in each of the other bedrooms. We had expected at least a queen in the master bedroom. The check-in process was very slow and we waited for an hour and a half for our room to be ready. We had requested a higher level room for our stay, but were issued one on the lowest floor. This was a disappointment. Once checked-in we did not have any issues.

Access to the beach is easy and the beach area was clean and well kept.

This is an average resort, not high end, and focused for families. Overall we enjoyed our stay and did not have any issues that detracted from our stay.

Room Tip: To avoid night pool activity and noise, choose a higher level room. The Carolina Dunes building is...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Curt313
Albany, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We got to the hotel far before check-in and the people at the front desk were wonderful. They gave us coupons to go to the Santa Maria breakfast buffet at the hotel. It was delicious. The waffles and omelettes were a hit with us. We hung out at the tiki bar for quite a while and enjoyed the frozen drinks (the dirty monkey and strawberry shortcake were favorites). The beach is beautiful and you can rent chairs and an umbrella on a daily/weekly basis.
Now, to the condo(number 606). We were very happy to see how spacious it was! The living room and kitchen were perfect for us group of girls. The view was also amazing. There was one queen and two twin beds in the other two rooms.
The problems: I can only speak for me, but the twin bed I slept in was hard as a rock. The sliding glass door to the balcony was very difficult to open and close and the water pressure was non-existent. I mean, seriously non-existent. There are two showers. One we called the "baby shower" because you had to be incredibly short to use it. My sister is 5 foot 2 and had a hard time. The water just trickled out and it took forever to wash your hair. It was really frustrating.
Also, I used the dryer to get the wrinkles out of my white shorts, and it ruined them with rust. stains.
The pool chairs and pool downstairs are very nice, and provides shade in the afternoon. Overall, we looked at the positive and had a great time. If they fixed the issues above, I would be back no problem,
The people working there were very friendly and accommodating. Thanks to them!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KMur27
Simpsonville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

We stayed in the Carolina Dunes condos- we had a great time at the beach and I can't say enough about the staff which includes the cleaning crew (Donna at the front desk and Marilyn were fantastic). Our disaapointment came in our room. I would never stay in this unit again especially after seeing other units first hand. It is a disgrace to know that we probably paid the same amount as the other units and it was night and day between the condos. I take responsibility for not returning to the front desk the next day to demand another room- at first I felt like I was being too picky (and we were on the beach most of the time) but the longer I stayed in this unit- the longer I realized things were awful. I can go on and on about the problems however the most importatnt issue was the smell in the living area. I want to say that Donna and Marilyn were terrific and we were compensated some (which was appreciated) but we still paid way too much for this unit! I understand that these units are individually owned and it is sad/disgusting that this owner has neglected her unit- I do feel like Carolina Dunes should put pressure on the owners to make sure they are maintaining their unit. Again, I will say that other untis are updated and beautiful and I would have no problem staying in those-but it will be a while as I still have a bad taste in my mouth!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Logan, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

This resort was ok. Check in took forever and it was packed so we were waiting 10 to 15 minutes for an elevator every time we left the room. We were on the 10 th floor and taking the steps were out of the question. The pool and lazy river were small for a resort that size and they couldn't keep pool towels stocked. The room was clean and really nice and right on the beach.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family