We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
Pirateland Oceanfront Campground
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We have stayed at Pirateland for several years We just returned from our yearly trip with the grandchildren. I must say that I was really disappointed this year. At night, the golf carts (mostly not the rented golf carts but the ones that stay there) would parade each night up and down in front of our camper. Pirateland advertises and "Family Friendly" but the music was very loud and inappropriate for our young grandchildren to hear. It would start about 6:30 pm and last until 11~11:15 pm each night. The "Patrol" in the carts just sat there and watched it happen. If Pirateland wants to advertise as and family friendly campground free of loud and obnoxious behaviour, they should do something about this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Debbie L
VCarmody, Rental at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share the dismay you had this year. In the evening guests do like to cruise around listening to music. We ask that guests be appropriate and courteous of one another; unfortunately not all are. If you ever have a specific issue here in the future please bring it to our attention so we may address in a timely manner. We do enforce quiet hours as you noted, and we recommend choosing sites away from the main road when guests prefer a quieter atmosphere.

We are a family campground and we aim to provide a fun experience. We’re very sorry you did not enjoy your recent stay and we hope you’ll consider staying with us in the future. Feel free to contact me personally at (843) 477-8005 so we may discuss this further. ~ Vickie Carmody, Rental Manager & Marketing Assistant

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My family has been going here for 50 years and we go three times a year it is very entertaining for everyone and we sometimes meet friends. The camp store is very helpful and the employees are always nice. GO TO THIS CAMPGROUND IT IS AMAZING

Room Tip: if you want to be close to everything get a rental near a one of the lakes
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
VCarmody, Rental Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review the park! It's great to here you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

It's true. Filthy bath houses, underage operation of golf carts, open alcohol containers. The irony of this is that there are more "DO NOTS" in this place that are not enforced. Spaces are tight and the added bonus for us was while we were out for entertainment , storage delivered a unit next to us and placed it so close to us that we can barely open our awning. No consideration for the unit next door. I contacted front desk and they sent out maintenance super and he agreed on poor placement but told me not to expect anything to be done. I am confidant that I have spent my last family vacation at Pirateland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Dennis P
VCarmody, Rental Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We’re sorry you did not have a great experience as it is our goal to provide a fun vacation. Your feedback has been discussed with the management crew. We appreciate your giving us a try and hope you may consider returning! We encourage future travelers to stop by and check us out if you’re in the area. It's the best way to get a firsthand look of the campground!

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Nothing Pirate about Pirate land. Nice facility however they exaggerated much. The good: the beach is very nice. The pool is nice as is the facility in general. Keep in mind you are paying $70 so this place should be immaculate. Its far from it.

The bad: Attitude!! I feel bad for the people working here. The Main Supervisor (Connie) is RUDE. The people know very little about their place. For example, there is supposedly fishing. I asked what kind of fish were in their pond. All 3 people at the desk didn't know anything about it. . The restrooms are not cleaned. They rent golf carts ($50/day) and stupid teenagers driving too fast with loud music all day long throughout. The water park is nothing more than a kiddie splash area. The lazy river is about 100 yards in circumference (very small).

Lastly. Our last day a small hurricane was due in so we wanted to leave early. Not that we were afraid of getting hurt but thus place has a pool and a beach. That's it. They not only would not give us our money back but when I Very Nicely asked for the owners contact information Connie with a rude scowl whipped out her card and said "here's my contact information".

The MOST disappointing thing was the complete lack of pirates and pirate activities. There were a couple of sword fight activities scheduled when we booked our vacation here but for four days ALL sword activities were cancelled. You might also expect some employees to dress up and say "Arrr" to the kids but NOTHING. Of course you can buy pirate crap in their store.

I can tell you the people that own and run this place don't care because lots of people come. If they paid there staff better and concentrated on making this place fun and positive the experience would have been so much better.

There are plenty of RV places along the beach. Don't overpay and go here.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Steve U
VCarmody, Rental Manager at Pirateland Oceanfront Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for giving us a try and for taking the time to review the park. We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you were disappointed with your stay. We are glad to hear you enjoyed some aspects of the facility. Our crew is trained to find out answers to questions they don’t know so I’m sorry that no one helped you when you asked about fishing. We have resources available to staff that contain these answers and I’ll be sure to re-iterate that during our next staff meeting.

It can be difficult telling guests something they don’t want to hear – like we do not refund for inclement weather. If there was an imminent threat of a hurricane in this area, and/or an evacuation, we would make exceptions and issue credit vouchers for returned stays. As you know, this was not the case in this circumstance. Connie is a great crew member and a pleasure to work with.

The campground opened in 1966 alongside PirateLand Amusement Park. The two companies marketed together and the name “PirateLand” stuck for the campground long after the amusement park closed. We have a pirate mascot that occasionally makes appearances and the staff does occasionally pull out pirate costumes (typically during Halloween). There are some piratey areas of the resort…the new pirate ship pool, the main office theme, and the big pirate statue at the mini-golf course –it has been there for at least 30 years! However, in researching the campground you will find no claims of us being a theme park.

Thousands of guests do return year after year because they enjoy it here. Over the years we’ve added so much to make the park better. The Lazy River is the 3rd longest in this area and measures 510 feet. The fundamentals remain – this is a beautiful park nestled along a beautiful beach, and a special place for many people to appreciate the best part of a vacation experience - the precious time families get to spend together. We’re sorry we did not create such an experience for your family. We do appreciate your suggestions and will discuss them in our next meeting.

Reviewed 28 June 2014

This campground is so overrated. The sites are small with people on top of each other, there are golf carts everywhere with underage kids driving them, the internet is HORRIBLE, bathrooms were disgustingly filthy, and there is no place for dogs. My family and I will NEVER come back here, and will write as many reviews as we can to keep others from wasting their money on this place. It seems as though they set up shop on a great piece of real estate years ago and got comfortable - forgetting about the needs of the families that stay here. Sad.......

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Matt S
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

I honestly don't have anything bad to say about this campground. It is clean, organized, the staff is helpful, and it was surprisingly bug free. The sites are small, and as one reviewer noted, the hook-ups and sewers on some are awkwardly placed. We had to do some serious maneuvering to get hooked up. The pool area is well-kept, but lacking in overall control. The staff walks around, but though there are reminder announcements of the rules, they aren't really enforced. The check-in was quick as was check-out. The bathrooms need some work and regular monitoring for cleaning and childish disgusting behavior. Overall though, not bad. There were regularly scheduled events that were fun, and our kids enjoyed themselves. We may return one day after checking out the other campgrounds that are close by.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank nctaze

We appreciate your taking the time to share your experience. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you decide to return!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I was a little worried while reading previous reviews of Pirate Land. I typically over plan and/or over analyze our vacation destinations as well as accommodations. We have recently purchased a travel trailer and wanted to try camping at the beach. I am not a huge fan of Mrytle Beach but since my brother, his wife, and 5 year old niece were joining us (my husband, myself, and our 3 year old) I thought if they didn't like camping there would be plenty of other activities to keep us entertained. We stayed from June 14-22, 2014. It seemed to be a lot more folks there towards the end of our vacation week, glad we came a little early. We chose a spot inland (#1047). Soooo happy with the inland choice. The trees provided ample shade and we enjoyed sitting outside a lot. We were in between the pool and beach. We did rent a golf cart which is needed!!! If you travel with children you know how much "gear" needs to accompany you to the beach so I advise renting one. I did call about three weeks ahead of time asking if I needed to reserve one. I was told the week I would be staying there was not too busy and they would not suggest reserving one. When we arrived check-in was easy and the older lady at the desk was very nice. We arrived, parked, set-up TT, then rented golfcart. The pool area is FANTASTIC and beats anywhere I have ever stayed. There were always floats available for the lazy river and my son and niece LOVED the splash pad. The ride to the beach is short and the beach is not too crowded. My sister-in-law and I walked down to Ocean Lakes via the beach one afternoon to visit friends. Their beach was towel to towel and umbrella to umbrella!!! Pirate Land's beach area was less crowded and we liked that!!! The bathhouses were a little dated but clean. The laundry room and campground store were nice amenities!!! Yes, there are lots of people there, but we had ample room at our site. Yes, teenagers are driving golfcarts around but WE did not witness any drunken dangerous teens. We even checked out the golfcart parade at night which seemed to be a harmless good time. Yes, I saw some adults drinking but no out of control situations. I felt safe at all times with my son and niece. The folks that own the food trucks serving food during the week are nice and the food is really good. I suugest the chicken wrap and from the other truck the shrimp. Overall, we had a great experience at Pirate Land and plan on returning again!

Room Tip: I liked staying inland underneath the shade trees.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Audrey H

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback! It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay. There are great suggestions here for future travelers and you highlighted many of the great things about the park! We look forward to your return!