“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roxanne Towers

We can't find prices for this hotel
Roxanne Towers
Ranked #22 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Killeen
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Very nice condo with an incredible view. One side is tranquil ocean. Other side is city. Really cool!! Nice pool area and quiet. Not.in the middle of.all the noise and confusion but just a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Clinton, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Roxanne Towers for an extended family vacation. We couldn't have more pleased with our unit. We had a two bedroom two bath unit. It was exactly what we expected and wanted. You cannot beat the price for the location, not to forget the staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly, helpful, and had a smile on their face. Yes there are a few dings and dents, but I have experienced the same conditions and high end hotels. The pool is small, but we never encountered more than one or two other people/families in the pool while we were in it and never seen it crowded so not really an issue. If you are looking for a place with excellent staff, excellent location, and a nice place to stay with excellent prices, I recommend Roxanne Towers and would definitely stay again. Walking distance to almost everything you need.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank TLE90069
Lynchburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My family and I stayed at Roxanne Towers during Spring Break. Convenient location near the boardwalk, ample parking, heated lazy river, ocean front balcony, and an in-room washer & dryer are just some of the things we enjoyed about the stay. For the price, we would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bmwbarbie
North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you can get a room her for under $120 you will be pleased. Anything more well you will not be. Small pool and lazy river area makes it not very relaxing. Rooms are larger than average and not too old. All rooms are oceanfront but balconies face the overcrowded pool area so not quiet and peaceful and make you feel like a fish in a bowl as everyone stares up from pool. They have no restrooms available so if you're at pool or beach you have to go back up to your room, wait on the two slow elevators to do so. They have no ice machine available for guests so you have to bring your ice bucket down, ask them at the front desk and they seem annoyed by this request. (Just put an ice machine we can use ourselves!) cleaning staff seems to always be using elevators and sitting in the few chairs in lobby drinking the coffee put out for the guests. great location for walking to boardwalk area for restaurants and shops. Parking is okay, not a problem. The three day minimum is ridiculous and a scam. If you don't have a reservation and just walk in they don't make you book 3 days. The hotel Atlantica next door is a little nicer for same $

Room Tip: Get higher floor so pool area doesn't bother you but be prepared waiting for elevators a lot!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NorthCarolinaTripgal
Roxjam, Front Office Manager at Roxanne Towers, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
To clarify for future guests, all units have an ice maker in the refrigerator of the one and two bedroom condos, This gentleman rented one of the two studio units in the entire building which are one large bedroom with a small refrigerator and microwave. Only those two units need to get ice from the lobby as the small refrigerators do not have an ice maker. There is never a problem providing ice to those units, but we do not provide ice for coolers. Also our 3 night minimum for the season to guarantee a reservation is not "a scam". We are booked for the majority of the remainder of the season with a few openings between reservations here and there. Yes we will rent those as walk-in guests, but you are not guaranteed in advance of availability for the nights you may need. We do have 2 elevators to service only 72 units. There is never an issue with speed unless one is being cleaned or serviced. Thank You The Roxanne Towers
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

A girlfriend and I met in Myrtle for a weekend to drink, eat, sunbathe & chat. We initially had reservation at a nearby hotel that was seedy & deplorable...ugh...not a great start. We walked a few doors down and was greeted by JJ at the front desk of Roxannes'. From that point it was easy, breezy. JJ hooked us up with "exactly what we needed"...clean, safe room with an amazing view for an affordable price, refreshing swimming pool and the beach at our back door. He gave us a insight into what "to-do" and "not-to-do" during our visit.

Thanks Roxanne Towers & JJ. Much Appreciated!

~Lisa & Mandy~

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank L G
Heath, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Since management will no doubt down-play this and imply we are hostile or crazy guests, I will just say we are both 15 year police officers, and I am also a fire captain - it takes a lot to get us upset and we are very understanding people.

We are also 3-time guests to this Hotel, which I would think would earn us a little bit of respect from the front desk, but I would be wrong. I don't expect them to roll out the red carpet, know us by name, or even give us a discount - but I would think a standard level of customer service would be warranted.

At the time of this post, we checked out of Roxanne Towers two days ago after staying there about a week. We had a very late check-in and went straight to bed. Upon waking up in the morning, we found we were trapped inside the room.

The door absolutely would not open, the deadbolt was seized in place. We alerted housekeeping who tried unsuccessfully to get us out and theyn called maintenance. Maintenance also tried unsuccessfully to open the door from the outside, and after about 10 minutes of messing with it, he went through and adjoining room, literally jumped from balcony to balcony 10 flights up, and brought a small bag of tools. After about 10 minutes of messing with the door from the inside of the room, the door was open, but required about another 10 minutes to be repaired after he got a spare part.

Had there been a fire or medical emergency, we absolutely could not have escaped without jumping from balcony to balcony, well over 100 feet in the air - period. The hing pins could have been removed from the inside - if I would have thought to bring my toolbox on vacation. Now, all that being said, I understand things get old and break after wear and tear - and the maintenance man was polite and seemed to know his job, but this happened in our first conscious hour of vacation here.

Now that it was daylight we found a note in the living room indicating we should take an inventory of what was in the room and compare to what was on the list, implying we would be responsible for anything missing. I would think housekeeping could do this instead of the guest, but whatever.

I looked around and noticed the coffee table had 3 of the 4 legs broken, probably numerous times, and were hap-hazardly screwed together with random types and colors of screws, and the legs were bent. I decided to snap a photo which would document the date and time as well just in case we got blamed for damage mistakenly.

As I looked around some more, the dishwasher looked like it was bought from the scratch and dent store, so I snapped another photo, just to be safe. We did not complain to management about these issues, like I said, we are reasonable. The stuff would function so who cares.

Over the next 48 or more hours, the fire alarm in the unit would go off, in the usual earth-shattering, multiple room alarm you would expect when it is time to head for the stairs. After looking around briefly and noticing no other units had their alarm going off, I called the front desk to inquire if the building was on fire as it did not appear to be, and I explained our alarm was going off.

I was told "its because you have your air conditioning on and your balcony door open." This was actually true. I got a lecture from the 20-something front desk attendant about Roxanne Towers not wanting to pay to Air condition all of Myrtle Beach, and "it doesn't make sense to pay for air conditioning when its going out the door." He went on and said "you don't turn your air conditioning on at home and then open all the windows do you?"

I could have done without the smart mouth commentary now that I knew the cause of the alarm, but I bit my tongue. We promptly shut off the air conditioning, as it had not even occurred to either of us to shut the air off, but that was our bad.

I inquired, as a curious out-of-state fire inspector would, why in the world one would link the air conditioning to a life safety alarm, and I was told "all of the high end hotels have that." I thought that was odd since we have always stayed at places equal to (or way better than) the Roxanne, and never had an issue once. Nevertheless, I thought that would be the end of it. And I would be wrong.

The fire alarm would go off 7 more times over the next two days, twice waking either my wife and I or our three year old who was napping.

The second time the alarm went off was a few minutes after the first one, so I called again. I was frustrated but polite. I told them we planned on having the doors wide open to feel the breeze and hear the ocean, and the air had been off since our first call.

I started snapping photos of the thermostat display panel just in case I needed it for later, and to document the date and time it kept happening. I was told, even though several minutes had passed with no alarm, the sensors just needed to adjust to the room temperature. They did not offer to send anyone up to investigate either time and they were really very dismissive of the problem. I guess we are just stupid tourists who visit Myrtle Beach every year for the last 6 years.

As a side note, I really am very energy conscious, not a tree-hugger, but we go out of our way to recycle, insulate our house and buy efficient heating/cooling equipment - so I get it that a hotel wants to save on energy costs. I actually like the idea of limiting waste, so more power to them. I don't get the fire alarm as the notification method, but whatever.

The alarm went off a few more times but didn't last 30 seconds so we just dealt with it, each time making sure the air didn't magically come back on - and it didn't. A few times we even gave up and shut the balcony door and left the air off for a few hours.

The next day the alarm goes off again like the place is burning down, guess what - no open door, no air on at the time. I'm actually mad now and went down to talk to the manager.

That request was denied, and I re-explained the problem. These seemed to be the same guys that were on duty the times we called down so I explained my displeasure. At no point in time was I irate or even rude. I even joked with them a little bit toward the end. I inquired why, if the technology exists to set off a fire alarm when the air conditioner is on and door is open, that they can't just kick the air conditioner either "off" or over to "fan only" mode rather than waking the dead and scaring everyone using a fire alarm. They didn't know and didn't seem to care.

I asked them why our detectors were going off if we were following the rules with the air being off and the door being open, this time their story changed. Instead of them being concerned about cost-effectiveness and efficiency as they were the last few times, they said it has nothing to do with the air conditioner being on and door being open, but it has to do with the humidity. Again I was entertained by their commentary about us (my wife and I) being "the only ones" in the whole 70-some room hotel who had their balcony door open and being on the ocean during mild temperatures (high 70s-80s). Sure. I later checked that and confirmed that was not true as I suspected. I didn't argue with them about that but I did point-blank ask both of them if they had detectors in the rooms specifically to monitor whether the air was on and the door was open, or if this was just a coincidence because of humidity as they said it was. Their response: "that's a good question isn't it."

So now, I am officially mad, and there is still no offer to check our detectors, sensors, or air conditioning police devices - just a "we can't help you and don't care anyway" attitude.

There used to be a point in time where the customer was always right, and management cared about their guests - hoping for repeat business. I actually own a business as well, and I would never talk down to my clients, even if I didn't think I'd earn their business again because I don't need negative feedback about my services.

If I could give Roxanne a few pieces of advice, put a little sign up asking guests not to leave the air on with the door open - since it must be an epidemic if they buy a special alarm system for it.

Secondly, they should put the older night clerk who was on duty just before midnight when we checked in - in the position of manager, because he seemed to care about the guests, offered assistance, and didn't talk down to them.

Thirdly, they could just wire up their little sensors to shut the air off. People will get the picture when it gets hot in the room and when they call, they can have it explained to them at that point - if they would have missed the signs (that I suggested they put in which are not in place now).

This all seems like common sense to me: save money when possible, don't set off fire alarms when there is no fire (which is a crime in most states), and hire people that care about your customers (or at least act like it).

They should also have a manager follow-up with people that want to talk to him or her, instead of ignoring them and hoping they will just go away. We attempted to settle the situation in person at the time, they didn't want to. So, that leaves trip advisor. If they want to try to make it right and refund all or a portion of the money, we would see about removing our review. But I truly doubt they care.

Room Tip: Just don't plan on having your door open to listen to the ocean or feel the breeze off the balco...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank NICKFDPD
Roxjam, General Manager at Roxanne Towers, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
This is your 2nd review of the same stay; I will not address the issue of the smoke alarms and patio doors again or how the staff was addressed as well. The room has been rented and all is fine with smoke alarms. We do preventative maint. on all our locks; patio, keyless entry and deadbolt/privacy locks with many other items monthly and weekly in an effort to avoid an issue such as the deadbolt privacy lock.
The deadbolt was recently checked but due to the salt air and corrosion of the beach, a tumbler slipped. Yes, we immediately gained access as fast as possible to repair and take it very seriously. The front desk asst. manager did not want to wait on a locksmith to drill it out, so he used the balcony against my wishes.
Hope your future trips to Myrtle Beach are enjoyable. The roxanne Towers
Heath, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Have been here for two days and the smoke alarms have been going off multiple times throughout the day and night. "Management" was rude to my husband multiple times when he had spoke to them regarding this issues. They have told us that it was first because we had the balcony door open with the air running. Ok. We shut the air off and it still went off. The next excuse they gave was that it is the humidity outside. We have stayed in this hotel two other times and have never had this problem before. The only remedy they give is to keep the door closed. Why have an oceanfront room if you can't keep the door open and listen to the ocean? They told me that we are the only ones in this whole hotel that is having this issue. They said that we are the only ones that keep our door open. Will never be staying here again. Will never recommend this place to anyone. Rude management.

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank SaraGarver
Roxjam, General Manager at Roxanne Towers, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
At home I doubt many people run their air conditioning wide open at 80 degrees + outside temperatures with big patio doors open for 2 reasons; that is extremely expensive and it will also freeze up their a/c unit trying to cool constantly incoming hot air. Our smoke alarms do react to doors left open with a severe difference in temperature and barometric pressure from the outside. These guests had gone to sleep their first night in the above situation, and all the alarms went off in the unit in the middle of the night. We explained nicely; either the balcony doors must be shut or the air conditioning off. We have guests in the unit now and there is no problem. Some properties actually have a device on patio doors that shuts off air conditioning and or heat when the door is left open more than a few minutes. I never spoke to the guests but got repeated complaints from my staff about how they were being treated by these guests and even a scene in the lobby in front of others. After reviewing our video, I saw my staff respond with reserved patience under the circumstances regardless of how they were addressed and treated. The guests had stayed before during milder weather such as Sept. Thank You, Property Manager