“Don’t waste your money; you can do better.”
Review of Carolina Grande

Carolina Grande
Ranked #50 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Don’t waste your money; you can do better. This is not a waterfront property. It’s a 20 story hotel across the street from the beachfront properties and directly behind the Best Western, another 20 story hotel. The result is no realistic beach view. There are plenty of rooms in Myrtle Beach for a much better price that are right on the water. If you do stay here, one trick you need to know: after you book your room, call the hotel directly and put in a request for an upper level floor. Otherwise you’ll be stuck right behind the 6th floor pool and no beach view whatsoever. Our room was clean but nothing special. No wireless internet (you can have wireless access for 15 minutes in the lobby). The bed was comfortable. The staff was friendly. That’s about all we can say. Needless to say, would not come back.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank giant57
BluegreenCares, Manager at Carolina Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Hello giant57,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Carolina Grande. We are glad you found the accommodations comfortable and the staff friendly. However, we regret to learn our resort did not leave you with a more favorable impression. We would like to learn more about your experience. Please contact us at info@bluegreenvacations.com if you would like to share any additional details. Thank you.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This was our 1st visit to Carolina Grande & it was very enjoyable. We are Bluegreen owners but our rating is not biased in any way. Check-in staff was very professional, curteous & helpful with directing us to nearby stores for grocery shopping. Rooms (2 bd combined) were very clean. We stayed on 20th floor, corner unit next to mini golf & had good view of ocean across the street. House keeping & ammenities were fine, no complaints. Shower head puts out a very good spray (which you don't find in lots of places) & plenty of hot water. All staff was very friendly. Wish the pool/hot tub area was bigger but also had use of pool, hot tub & lazy river across street at Best Western Carolinian. Pool towels were furnished, very nice & thick. The pool towel bags in both rooms had small tear on side but was not an issue for us since I had brought my own (just in case). Walk to beach was short, across the street so no issue with that. We plan to go back in the future & hope to stay at Carolina Grande again,

Room Tip: Higher floors have good views & corner/end units have less noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sheila H
BluegreenCares, Manager at Carolina Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Hello Sheila H,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Carolina Grande. Your feedback as a Bluegreen owner is very important to us. We appreciate your compliments regarding the rooms and staff as we aim to share happiness with our owners and guests and provide outstanding accommodations and service. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Myrtle Beach.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed in a one bedroom condo in August for 3 days. Nice room. Good location. The pool on the 6th floor is private and neat. You have access to the pool and lazy river at the resort ocean front across the street. Not my favorite place to stay in Myrtle, but all and all it worked out for our trip.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Hello ChalrestonDan,

Thank you for staying at Carolina Grande and sharing your experience. We are happy you enjoyed the room and location. We hope you will consider staying again on your next visit to Myrtle Beach. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 August 2013

This is litterly the best place ive ever stayed and i go every year. The resort is great even though the pool isnt that big. But they let you swim at the best western across the street which has a very nice pool and lazy river. The resorts location is odd when your driving it looks like its in the middle of the street. Its beach front but like not,
you have to walk across the street but its not a big deal because you can still see the beautiful ocean. The room we get is 3 bedroom and they take your requst seriously as they told us ahead of time we would be on the 14th floor. We requsted to be on the top floor the 20th floor and thats where we stayed. The rooms are veryy veryy clean and i have never had a problem with anything. A plus was the in room washer/dryer to clean all your sandy clothes. It is a time share so when i see people complain im like well it is a time share if you dont want in dont stay. Staff is veryy nice. You can rent boogie boards for 5$ a day which isnt that bad. They have a meeting you can go to and get 100$ card to use anywhere just to go but its not required. Over all i would recomend this place to anyone. This place very nice and family friendly amd beyond perfection

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank carolinacourtney919
BluegreenCares, Manager at Carolina Grande, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Hello carolinacourtney919,

Thank you for returning every year and taking the time to review your stay at Carolina Grande. We are thrilled that Carolina Grande is the best resort that you have ever stayed at! We are happy you enjoyed beautiful ocean views from your room and the convenience of our condo style accommodations. We appreciate your recommendation, and look forward to your return!

Reviewed 13 July 2013

My family stayed here from July 9-13th in a one bedroom/one bath. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The complex is across the street from the beach with partial ocean front views. For our family, the size of the condo was somewhat cramped. I wouldn't want to spend a week here. but for several nights it was fine. As always with Bluegreen properties, it was clean and included a supply of towels, washer/dryer and fully stocked kitchen. The complex itself only has a rooftop pool and hot tub, but you have access to the facilities at the Best Western across the street which includes an outdoor covered pool and small lazy river. Without them, my kids would have not had much to do on our beach day when it was pouring.

Overall, we liked the Carolina Grande and were happy with our stay. If we came back again, we'd try to stay in one of the three bedroom units.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My spur of the moment beach trip turned into a huge headache. I booked my reservation online the same day of my trip. Once I arrived to check-in I realized Carolina Grande did not have my reservation. Staff was not forthcoming and failed to acknowledge the error. They scrambled fervently to find another room, as I waited in the lobby. I knew it was a different room because I was quoted the rental rate when I scheduled the reservation. It ended up cheaper than my initial quote so that was in my favor. The room was beautiful and well stocked. It had a kitchenette, washer/dryer and separate bedroom. My room had a magnificent ocean view with very little noise from the rooms nearby. The downside was the billing problem I encountered after I left. I was charged by Expedia and Carolina Grande for the rental amount. I was also billed for another rooms charges. I notified Carolina Grande and the staff was very rude and unwilling to review the charges. The issue was not corrected until I spoke with management. Customer service is a big deal to me, so I have no plans on returning to Carolina Grande. I will take my business elsewhere..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Shanic948
Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed as part of our Bluegreen Timeshare in June 2013, right after Tropical Storm Andrea came through. The hotel is across the street from the beach and only has partial ocean view, but still very pretty. We stayed in a two bedroom unit on the 17th floor. The room was actually two one-bedroom units with a connecting door in the kitchen/living room area. Perfect for the four of us. The unit was clean, nicely decorated and I have to say that the beds were incredibly comfy - I have back issues and actually slept better in this bed than my Sleep Number at home! One important thing to note is that there is not a safe in the room so you might want to think about how to hide items of importance.

The pool was nice, refreshing but we could see from our balcony that it was quite sandy. Saw it cleaned only 2-3 times while we were there. I liked that the pool was on the 6th floor - had a nice breeze. On Saturday there was a really talented guitar duo playing classic rock covers. Great music and I really appreciated having them there. It was senior beach week while we were there and for the most part it was pretty quiet. There were a group of girls that kept throwing water (or beer) over the balcony. One time it even got on my mom's Kindle. Unfortunately, we could not tell exactly what room they were in and couldn't talk to management.

We loved the area surrounding Carolina Grande, it was walking distance to several decent restaurants. Our favorite was Dirty Don's Oyster Bar and Grill (laid-back, very fresh seafood, small but we could always get a seat, pitcher specials that came with a free t-shirt). We visited twice while in MB. Other favs included: Sea Captain's House, Mexico Lindo, Pier 14, and Hamburger Joe's in N. Myrtle Beach. We also treated ourselves to ice cream at the place attached to Ultimate California Pizza right behind the hotel a few times. Very good!

We enjoyed Cane Patch Driving Range and the putt putt course right next to the hotel. Visited Barefoot Landing one day but that place seems to be going down hill fast! Our last time there about 7-8 years ago it was a bit more upscale - seems to be in need of a paint job and freshening up. The shops there were kind of touristy rather than the boutique-like places we remembered from before.

All in all, a fantastic trip! We plan to come back next summer - I am already counting down the days!

Room Tip: Call a few days ahead and request an upgrade or room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
#119 of 209 in Myrtle Beach
Shore Crest Vacation Villas
Shore Crest Vacation Villas
#7 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Carolina Grande? Share your experiences!