“Good choice : upscale and in a quiet area of Myrtle Beach” 4 of 5 bubbles

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #2 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal, Quebec
“Good choice : upscale and in a quiet area of Myrtle Beach”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel last week and we have had a very pleasant experience. The hotel itself is very well maintained and so are the grounds. Location was perfect for us, about 8 miles from the Hustle and bustle of downtown Myrtle Beach (where the boardwalk is) and about a mile from the ocean. I wanted a quiet and upscale sector of MB and I got it at Marina Inn. Here is my list of pros and cons :

Pros : large room, nice kitchen area and nice bathrooms (had a 2 br. Suite), pool area is great with small kids (gradual entry pool and kids section with 3ft depth max.), clean everywhere, no hidden fees (parking is included, internet, housekeeping, bathrobes, beach shuttle, beach section with towels) so basically, once you have paid for your room, you only have to pay for the food. Grocery store is right across the street but I would recommend going by car because it is a big hwy and it might be a little hard to get back with the grocery bags and stuff. Beach section is nice, with umbrellas, towels, chairs and lifeguard. Shuttle picks you upon request and can be reached at all times via intercom. The overall look and feel of the hotel is luxurious and is located in a luxurious neighbourhood that looked very safe.

Cons : I personnally called the hotel to request a marina view room as mentionned on tripadvisor and although they have put me in the Marina Tower, they've given me a room on the ground floor with only bush as a view. The previous room that was allocated to us was on the fourth floor of a tower with view of the intracoastal waters, and still the person i had on the phone thought i would prefer the ground floor with no view at all...I found it odd but did not complain upon check in, it was late and dark and I did not want to repack and change room the next morning when I figured it out. Ground floor rooms have no access
whatsoever to the pool area even if it is on the same level, you have to take the elevator to the second floor to get to the pool.. The room smelled a bit funny, i didn't like the odor at all, it was not inviting. Two lightbulbs were not working. A/C was quite loud but functionning very well. There was no sponge or clothes to wash and wipe the dishes and no dish soap. The was a window in the kids bedroom with a view of the outside corridor so if you forgot to close the blinds, everyone passing in the corridor would see in the room. That was a bit scary because the ground floor corridor was at the same level as the parking lot, so basically almost anybody could access this corridor. Also at night, a powerful corridor light was going through this window and the blinds were not sufficient to keep the room dark. I did not like this feature at all, no window would have been better

Overall a very good experience with only minor flaws... All staff were extremely kind and
helpful to us. They also have a business center with two computers with internet access
(free), a free printer and a fax. It was great to be able to print coupons and plane tickets
without having to pay... I would recommend this hotel and go back there in a heartbeat but I would not want to be on the ground floor.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
Winchester, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

We stayed there from august 14-21. We were upgraded to a 3 BR condo. It was huge for a family of 4. The rooms are very well equipped and clean. Kitchen had reasonable supply of utensils/plates and a starter coffemaking supplies. The pool area was clean and somewhat small for a resort that size. The restaurant (waterscapes ) is a must, excellent fresh food and excellent service, kids eat free (kids menu). The beach shuttle bus was very convenient. I agree that the supply of umbrellas and chairs could be more, one time there was no immediate availability of umbrellas/chairs but one became available within 15 min. Overall we are very satisfied with the service staff/front desk and everyone we came in contact with. We felt it was a good value. We usually like to stay directly on the beach but the price difference between the marinna inn and other similar beachfront properties was close to a thousand dollars. For us it was a good decision. If you don't absolutely have to be beachfront, you won't regret staying at the marinna inn

Room Tip: We were initially in 1 BR studio and requested a 2BR condo -none was available for 7nights,Barbara w...
1 Thank lovetravelwinc
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

After reading rave reviews, we decided to book our short anniversary weekend at a "special" spot and chose Marina Inn at Grand Dunes. For us, it was a very big disappointment which began with moving rooms at 10 PM, trying to dress for the evening with the maid in the bathroom washing glasses, unmade bed at 5 PM, numerous phone calls with extremely slow response times and sometimes no response at all. To say the least, what we thought would be a comfortable, relaxing weekend turned out to be anything other. After arriving back home, I finally spoke with an MOD this morning who was very gracious but, unfortunately, the weekend was over by then. I even regret writing this report, but since I'm an avid Trip Advisor user I felt it important to share.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank marelou
Glen Allen, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We generally vacation in Myrtle Beach every year for a week. After years of staying at the same hotel, I told my husband I wanted to stay somewhere else. I was sick of that crowded hotel where I felt like we were fighting for parking, elevators, pool loungers and beach space. We researched different hotels and came across the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. The reviews were good so we booked based on the favorable reviews and the private beach with chairs and umbrellas sounded like a welcomed change. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was exactly as the online pictures showed. It was lovely and spacious for our family of 5. The hotel staff was very attentive and quick to respond to any of our needs. Love the valet parking and assistance with our bags and groceries. On our first full day we took the shuttle to the beach (not far away - about a 5 minute drive). Towels are provided there but just be prepared - the bathrooms are air conditioned trailers and the cabana is a true beach shack. Not bad - but not the same caliber as what you'll find at the hotel. When we got to the beach at around 10 AM, all 50 of the umbrellas and chairs were taken. After much conversation with the lifeguard and lifeguard supervisor, my husband secured us a space. This was very disappointing as we were assured umbrellas and chairs would be provided to The Marina guests so we didn't pack any. I also did not want to feel like we had to get up early on our vacations to stake our space on the beach like we've done in years past with a different hotel. My husband spoke with the GM later that day and he apologized stating that the website and staff should advise guest that chairs and umbrellas are on a first come first serve basis. The next day, the GM was on the beach assessing for any problems which there were none. The remainder of the week we had no problems getting seating and shade.

Overall, we had a good experience at The Marina. The outside pool was a little small though given the size of the hotel. It would sometimes get a little crowded in the afternoon especially with kids playing. The food at the Waterscapes resort was good and it was great that kids eat for free with a paying adult entree. We really felt like we got away from it all because it was so private; yet, we could get to restaurants and other activities in Myrtle Beach in no time. I would recommend The Marina Inn.

Camden, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Had a fabulous weekend at the Marina Inn At Grande Dunes!
My friends and i meet every year at this time in Myrtle Beach. So much fun! The Hotel is the best, rooms are so spacious, so comfortable, so well appointed. The valet staff is " on the ball" and always so helpful. I can't say enough about the restaurants....especially, Waterscapes! The food is divine, always fresh and different from anything else on the beach. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jane C
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

I will say this hotel is beautiful and well maintained. The staff is very nice and helpful. While the majority of the stay was quite nice I will say the few and very minor issues were as follows. The first room we had was right outside the machinery for the hotel. It was quite noisy. The initial check in clerk did not give us any of the hotel information either. Once we called and asked to get a different room which we were given quickly this person was very helpful. She gave us lots of information. Our new room had a beautiful Marina view. It was great. The valet/bellman that we dealt with the most (unfortunately we didn't get his name...tall with white hair) was quite helpful and very nice. The room had a few problems but which hotel room doesn;t. Gross something smeared on the back of the toilet room door, sink faucet was loose and stopped didn't work (which I need to contact lenses, I just switched sinks). Love the two bathrooms and double vanity in both!!! For the most part this was very enjoyable. Loved the beach!! The other complaint was we were told to look for the person who arranges the kids activities at the beach and never found anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for Marina View.
1 Thank 2girlstoluv
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Thanks again for the hospitality! We had a great time,just need to stay longer next year.
Could not keep my son out of pool. Very nice pool lay out for kids. Lower pool is a
walk in type from 1" to 3.5 ft.. Upper section 3.5 ft. to 5 ft. These are seperate , so no
worries. Your entire staff is 1st Class. From the Doormen, Housekeeping, Front Desk,
Pool Staff, everyone was very polite from start to finsh. I know from experience that keeping everyone "happy" is quite a task, But you are succeeding in my book!

See Ya Sooner Than Later I Hope,
Mark W (Charlotte, N.C. )

1 Thank john w