Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
View Hotel
Horizon at 77th(Myrtle Beach)
  • Pool
Carolina Winds(Myrtle Beach)
1,815 results
All reviewsprivate beachwaterscapes restaurantintercoastal waterwayanchor caferuth's chrisvalet servicetwo bedroom suitefull kitchenchairs and umbrellasbeautiful propertypool barthe myrtle beach areashort driveoff seasonwasher and dryerfamily vacationshuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2014

OVERVIEW:
Bear in mind we stayed during “off season” so the implications of this may have impacted the valet experience I will mention in this review. Also, I had just stayed from a while in an Omni resort the day before which is a whole different valet experience.
THE GOOD:
Chaunda/Shaunda (I apologize for not remembering spelling) saved this rating from being a 3 to a solid 4 (my previous rating was a 2 during initial stay Summer 2012). She was so professional, kind and efficient. Even though we couldn’t get the 3pm late check out, she handled the situation with such professionalism and consideration that we didn’t even mind having to check out sooner than we had both anticipated or would have preferred. She’s the rising star in this group and I don’t remember seeing her there in 2012. Hold onto this young lady/promote if possible she’s got the “it” factor as far as great customer service/customer retention is concerned. Any questions, key problems anything, each and every interaction with her was so wonderfully pleasant and thankfully mitigated the not so pleasant interaction I HAD with her other colleague (NOTE: colleague singular NOT colleague(s) everyone was really wonderful this time around and customer service has substantially improved). The young man with blonde hair (it was still Matt I think but I didn’t have my contacts on to confirm) was also wonderful (as usual), he has that special humble and sweet southern charm and interacting with him was a lovely experience. He was able to cater to the Elite Plus membership perks and he interacts with customers in a consistent and equitable manner.
THE COULD BE BETTER:
Two summers ago, I was taken aback by customer service concerns; it appears they still have the two other ladies with blonde hair…one in particular who is clearly very comfortable in her position and is not going anywhere anytime soon. I will not mention any names, but I will say that I found each interaction with her years later still pretty unpleasant. She speaks in a condescending way for example she would say “I don’t know if you were aware of the fact that…” seemingly innocuous right? But it’s her tone that is so off-putting and borderline cruel; it really stuck with me and personally she is just someone that I generally would like to avoid speaking with at all costs, she’s just too much of that fake sweet and just so very insincere.
HOWEVER, while I most likely won’t be staying here again, I am in no way deterring others from staying because the good strongly outweighs the lone customer service concern of that overly comfortable in her position employee.
THE VALET:
These guys are knowledgeable and charming you can always ask them questions about things to do in Myrtle Beach and get directions to places nearby, they are human beings too yeah? I believe some of the reviews about them have been at times a bit harsh (with the exception of the guy whose 75K vehicle tires/hub cap was damaged). When we stayed, our first evening checking in there was only one man on duty the and day after was the same (remember off season so things are slower and valet is even more laid back than normal…South Carolinians are generally laid back to begin with which takes time to adjust to especially for those who previously lived in NYC) I remembered from my prior stay that at Marina Inn you’re pretty much left to your own so I was already prepared for the non-existent offer to help get luggage on the trolly which is why this section of the review is informative and nothing personal. After 15 mins there were only 2 other couples in the lobby being helped by the front desk and the valet had still not asked us if we needed our many bags taken to the room (valet man has the trolly there isn’t a separate person in charge of this)
We came as a couple, we arrived late evening and were dressed casually due to a long drive to Marina Inn; valet never offered to take our bags up to the room and he was not busy he was just standing there not parking cars or busy any other customers he wasn’t even on the computer or in the other back room they have over there in the front lobby, he was just literally standing there and just watching us with all our bags as we moved them piece by piece to the lobby area…sigh obviously , I can’t really know the mental calculations he made as I was not in his brain but this is my only justification for why this all occurred simply because we didn’t “look” like money/tippers in is erroneous assessment. I am not holding this against him at all though because when he sees a casually dressed woman with a python skin handbag that is continually falling on the ground as I tugged and dragged the heavy bags to the lobby in his plain sight that spectacle could give him the impression that that anyone with money surely wouldn’t let such an expensive handbag get scratched up if it were actually authentic right?!? Truth be told, I didn’t really have a choice unless we wanted all of our things to remain on the curb of Marina Inn. I feel sorry for the beautifully skinned creature who gave up their life to be made into an expensive handbag only to be scratched on the curb and walkway of Marina Inn, but what’s a couple of thousand dollars right when compared to the other Marina Inn valet review related to the man with the 75K vehicle…so keeping it in perspective!
When we finally did ask for the trolly he gladly helped us into the room but he didn’t ask which rooms we wanted the bags in he just unloaded the bags in the furthest bedroom and left in a jiffy after he was tipped of course. A sense of déjà vu came over me as I once again began moving the bags to the other rooms which were literally less than 10 steps from the door and much closer to begin with if only he asked where we wanted things to be placed. The next day when we asked to go to the beach we were strongly encouraged to drive ourselves there and not be shuttled since there was only one man on duty and he verbally gave us the directions.
I am not upset at the valet their charm and intellect make up for any faux pas they are lovely people and this is not a review to get anyone into trouble this is to let readers know that when you stay during off season be prepared to be even more independent than you already have to be during normal Marina Inn operating during the on-season time.
GREAT TO KNOW:
Marina Inn has great parking so you never really have to use the valet at all since the valet parks the cars directly across like 4 or 5 yards away from the non-valet parking you can find a spot across from there and only add an additional 30-45 seconds walk to get inside Marina Inn main lobby area so you don’t have to interface with valet at all in this case. Plus parking is included in the resort fee or if you are elite plus you have a waived resort fee so there are other options.
If you do opt to use the valet be sure to dress like you have money preferably with lots of sparkly jewelry to catch the eye of the trolly holder.

BEFORE I GET TO THE BEST:
Marina Inn has coffee in the lobby in the mornings they take the coffee away by 10AM but if you like coffee decafe or regular you can get some in the mornings. This is NOT starbucks and doesn’t taste like starbucks so prepare yourself but it gets the caffeine job done otherwise you can drive across the street and there is a big grocery store that you can get a keurig machine and starbucks kcups at and bring it into your room that store has good deals on wine too and is open late so if you don’t like the coffee there are other options available. Nescafe instant is better than their coffee brand they use but again if you need the caffeine it is ready and waiting in the lobby for you.
THE BEST:
1) The staff YES overall the staff gets a B+ RATING if you average everyone out together and that is pretty good in my book don’t you think so? They are nonintrusive and they won’t smother you either.
2) If you are elite plus you get much better housekeeping treatment than non-elite I’ve booked using non-elite plus and it’s like you’re staying at two separate places. Since it was off season, this may have contributed to the attentive demeanor coming from the lovely housekeepers this time around one even took the time to show me how to use the dishwasher properly. These women are sweeties and while one Marina Inn reviewer reported that money was stolen I can assure you I took time to personally speak to these ladies and even help them clean right alongside them and if there was one lady who did that I am sure Marina Inn took care of that cleaning lady the housekeepers they have on board now are NOT thieves, rest assured there is a system in place now where they housekeepers must log in via a phone code when they step foot into your room and log back out when they leave. They have a personal code so there is an electronic paper trail of sorts and in the extremely unlikely event anything were to go missing there would be an easy way to track which lady was in you room and at what time and Marina Inn could also be able to confirm if there were any time gaps between checking in and checking out from room to room in case anyone lingered. No one will steal your stuff at Marina Inn this is not a huge resort where people can just disappear into the woodwork it’s a safe, clean place. If you are still concerned there is an in-room safe…we didn’t use it, but obviously if you would like to it’s there for you.
3) The rooms, while the main entry lobby floor has changed by getting a few cracks and scuffs in the tiles the rooms themselves have just become SO elegant and upscale. The rooms in Marina Inn are more posh than Omni resorts rooms. The rooms are your sanctuary they are SO amazingly relaxing and lovely that you don’t want to even leave them to go see Myrtle Beach things!! Imagine that no kidding they are that relaxing, if there wasn’t that unpleasant front desk lady we would stay here 4 days each and every month like clockwork just to decompress.
4) This deserves a separate category…the BEDS everything about the beds, the linens, the pillows oh my gosh they are so nice you feel you are in your own bed. Whoever picked the beds just THANK YOU they took the same care and concern that you would take and discriminate the thread counts and comfort factor they truly have the MOST comfortable beds I’ve ever experienced in a resort/hotel and I am comparing Marina Inn’s beds internationally as well…nothing compares to the comfort of Marina Inn beds, king size, queen they are all the same consistently clean quality.
5) Luxurious showers, plenty of counter top space, clean and comfortable bathtubs in some hotels I bring my own Clorox wipes but at Marina Inn I never ever have to use them!
6) balconies, fireplaces, washer and dryer everything you need to cook you will feel at home.
7) bath robes are surprisingly warm despite being lightweight, towels are surprisingly absorbent despite being lightweight as well.
8) CLEAN pools both indoor and outdoor…really clean you won’t get any skin irritation or eczema by using their indoor facilities, the outdoor has more chlorine than indoor but indoor pool is still clean and good to use if you may have sensitive skin. Indoor pool does not strip your hair dry because the chemicals are somehow less harsh and the indoor pool has a warm bubble area on the far right when you walk it so relaxing.
9) Ping Pong ball table is SO MUCH FUN. Even if you don’t know how to play just use it I caught on fast! Be playful it’s time to relax and unwind and be carefree and light hearted. To play ping pong outside if you don’t see a ball next to the paddles just go ask the front desk they surely have extras.
10) the resort restaurant ambiance everyone is so chill, relaxed and content.
Take away: If you stay at Marina Inn you will leave relaxed, refreshed and ready to be productive once you return back to your work…housework, job work, school work or whatever kind of work you do you’ll be more productive after the Marina Inn experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Molly F, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

USC07, Thank you for your detailed review. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to do so. We regret to hear that it was not up to the high standards that you expected and that we strive to provide. We take into consideration any concerns and insight our guests may have. We appreciate all suggestions to help us continually improve our property and your guest experience. Our guest's comfort and satisfaction is our number one priority and we have addressed your concerns with our team. Thank you for the wonderful compliments regarding Chanda and the housekeeping team. We continue to strive to provide our guests with the highest level of accommodations and service. We hope to have the opportunity to win you back soon!

Reviewed 4 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights during the holiday. Everything was great except the valet parking was so busy getting wedding guests' cars, that we had to go get own car when we went to dinner the first night. After that experience, my husband just kept our car keys and didn't rely on valet service ( this was not a big deal to him). I opened the top drawer in the bathroom sink and saw old mildew/mold stains! Everything was clean, but that bothered me. We also did not have hand towels until our last night, and housekeeping did not leave washcloths the second day. The rooms were large and well furnished, and the kitchen was stocked with every utensil you needed to cook ( although I did not cook). We attended the New Years' Eve Gala at the hotel, and really enjoyed it! Overall, this is the best place to stay in Myrtle Beach because it is close to all activities, attractions,and shopping spots. We have always stayed right on the beach, but my husband said we need to stay here in the future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the review of your recent experience at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes during the holidays. We are delighted that you enjoyed the New Year’s Eve festivities. We are so sorry that you encountered less than stellar service from our valet during your stay. Additionally, we appreciate the feedback about the cleanliness and quality of your unit. We will definitely use them as a teaching tool to help earn our way back to a 5-star review! We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The Marina Inn is the cleanest most comfortable place we have ever stayed at. It is located next to the division line of North Myrtle Beach and Myrtle Beach making easy access to both beach areas. We stayed for four nights. From the outside the grounds are well kept and the building is in very good condition. Access to the Inn is easy from highway 17 and through a round about that delivers you to the Inn for check-in or to the parking area. The roundabout is easy to navigate during the daylight hours but at night was confusing as to which exit to take the first time I went through it at night. Parking seems close to the entrance even when parking in the lower parking lot. The parking lot is well lighted making a safe environment at night. Check-in was fast and there is plenty of help getting the luggage to the room. The room was fantastic. The tiled floor was clean and felt good on bare feet as did the carpeting which makes for a comfortable feeling while walking around in the room. The curtains to the balcony were in very good condition and the sliding door was easy to slide when opening and closing. The sliding door window was so clean I almost walked into it as I walked up to it and was looking out at the golf course across the waterway. Yes, we stayed in a room overlooking the inter coastal waterway and the golf course on the other side of it. Back inside the room the couch faced the fire place and was clean and comfortable. Great for relaxing with a cup of hot chocolate. The king size bed was so clean and comfortable that we actually slept better than at home in our bed making us consider replacing our sleep number bed. The bathroom was clean and roomy with a separate shower from the tub. The bathroom was well lighted, in excellent condition, and well maintained. The kitchen area was clean and well maintained also and it included a dish washing machine, stove and refrigerator.
In summary:
Clean well kept exterior
Well lighted safe parking
Clean, good smelling room with no odors whatsoever.
Clean floors and carpet.
Comfortable bed!!!
Good tasting water from the refrigerator dispenser
Room fixtures (lights, furniture, doors, TV) were all in very good working condition.
Ample power outlets and all in good working condition.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the inter coastal waterway provide a relaxing view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
DOSMatMarinaInn, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Hello Robert W. Thank you for pointing out the many positives during your recent vacation at the Marina Inn! We take pride in our staff and our product & your positive experience is a direct result of the dedicated staff at the Marina Inn that work hard every day to ensure that everyone is as pleased as you were. As you mentioned, the Marina Inn is very conveniently located to all of Myrtle Beach's most popular activities.Our guest rooms are very spacious and all have balconies with views of the golf course, waterway or pool/marina. Thanks again for sharing your vacation experience with TripAdvisor and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

My husband and I had another great off-season experience at the Marina Inn. While having easy access to all that Myrtle Beach has to offer, we more enjoyed the serendipity of the resort, relaxing and dining on our balcony, while taking in the views of the beautifully landscaped grounds, marina, golf course, and boats going by on the intercoastal waterway, highlighted by the breathtaking sunsets -- priceless

Room Tip: Two and three bedroom units facing the pool have the best views
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MIExec, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2014

Dear Joe M,
Thank you for taking time to share your positive experience at our Resort with others in the TripAdvisor community. I was pleased to hear that you and your husband were able to relax while enjoying the serenity of our location and spectacular views. Each of our team members take pride in the Resort and to hear that we were able to provide you and your husband with a memorable experience means so much to all of us. Thank you for choosing the Marina Inn and we look forward to seeing you again next time you’re in the Myrtle Beach area.
Eleanor

Reviewed 30 December 2013

Enjoyed our stay for a wedding weekend. Our only complaint was that there was nothing to eat after 10 p.m. We were visiting in the bar....not even peanuts! Would be nice to have snacks with a beer or a glass of wine. We ordered pizza and had it delivered. Food service in the restaurant was also slow. Both morning breakfasts were good but we had to wait a while for it. The restaurant wasn't full and with a wedding party on site, they should have been more prepared.

Room Tip: We were on the canal side of the hotel. Good view and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Dear Shelleyham, Thank you for your great comments and for taking the time to write them. Food service late at night is a difficult issue as you can imagine. I met with my Food and Beverage Director to see if we can develop a limited menu for the occasional late night request. Thank you for making us aware of this and I promise we will look into this to see what makes sense. Thank you for staying with us and I hope you enjoyed yourselves at the wedding. Please come back to visit us soon. Sincerely, David Nelson, GM