“Excellent Stay”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #6 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Thanks to all the great reviews on this site for the Marina Inn, we decided to stay there. We were not disappointed. Two bedroom Caribbean Villa was beautiful and very large. The hotel itself was lovely with indoor and outdoor pools. Do not be discouraged by its off-beach location. Beach is only a few minute drive or shuttle ride, plenty of parking, towels, lounges and umbrellas plentiful and free of additional charges.
The location is close to everything restaurants, Broadway at the Beach, Barefoot Landing.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank melof
Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)

Reviewed 27 August 2008

Overall, I loved this hotel. It was very modern and the decor was great. The bed was very comfortable and the rooms were clean and spacious. The best thing about the place in my opinion is the pool and the pool bar. The pool has two sections divided by an infinity edge. They also have two hot tubs outside and one at the indoor pool. You can sit by the pool and the waiters come by and get you drinks and you can order food. You can charge everything to the room. ( Which can be dangerous!)

All of the food that we ate at the place was excellent. We ate dinner the first night at the Anchor Cafe, on the waterway. If you like fine dining, eat right there at Waterscapes. It is expensive, but they have coupons going on right now. The food by the pool is high quality also.

Now for the few bad things. The hotel outsources its laundry and linen service. We never had washcloth's in our room without asking. When I called the first time, they told me that the towels would not be back until tomorrow. I called three times and asked for a manager. The manager never called back, but they finally found several washcloth's. I had to do this each day. Also, several times, the pool ran out of towels and it was only 11:00 AM and there were only four of us at the pool. The housekeeping service needs some work and managers need to be more attentive to the customer's concerns.

Also, they offer a shuttle service to the pool and they have beach chairs and towels. The towels at the beach were just as scarce. The first day we were at the beach, there were no chairs left. However, they were letting people get extra chairs to put their pocketbooks and bags on and other customers had no chairs to sit on.

I don't mean to sound like I am a difficult traveler, but at $229.00 a night, I expect good service and a fresh washcloth after being at the beach all day in the sand.

Overall, I would return to the hotel, but the service needs some work for these prices.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandboyConcord_NC
Reviewed 26 August 2008

I agree completely with prior review that this hotel has very nice, new facilities but that the service is sorely lacking. The wait at check-in was unending, even though only a few guests were in line. Then we were given a room (admittedly beautiful ) next to the hotel's air conditioning units. The noise was deafening. Complaints to the front desk fell on deaf ears (perhaps they had fallen victim to the same decibel levels). The failure of the front desk to relocate us is inexplicable as the hotel was far from capacity when we stayed. Maid service was spotty...what was left for towels, toiletries, coffee varied from day to day. On our second day, we returned to our room around 4:30, and it had yet to be cleaned. When we called the front desk to inquire, we were told that the maids have until 3:00 to finish. Upon reminding the front desk that the self-appointed 3:00 deadline had passed by 90 minutes, "Oh" was the sole response. We found the food at the on-site restaurants and through room service to be uneventful at best. Worth praise, however, is the bartender at the lobby bar and the bellmen, all very friendly and helpful.

1 last point. The hotel seeks to add a $15 dollar resort fee per night to the bill. Be on the look out because they do a great job of hiding the fee. On my email confirmation, the fee was not separately disclosed, and instead was added to "taxes" (I'm not sure that the state of SC would be happy with this tactic). As a personal policy, I avoid any place that charges a resort fee, but the imposition of such a fee is even more infuriating when the service does not rise to a level to justify the add-on. I lost 30 minutes of my life arguing with front desk to get the fee removed from my bill.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KWLV
Reviewed 13 August 2008

I rented two 3 bedroom suites. One was not ready at checkin although the facility was not at capacity. There were no wash cloths available until 7pm the next day and we had to make several phone calls to get them. I was told that one week prior, the hotel ran out of soap. Guests had to use shower gel for everything.
The staff was not friendly for the most part. The waiter at Waterscapes, housekeeper and the young girl in the gift shop were nice. The middle age lady in the gift shop was not. I asked for bug spray and instead of saying I'm sorry we don't have any, she responded we don't need bug spray here. I told her that she had not apparently been on the balconys that face the waterway.
The hotel itself is very nice; but, they need an overhall in customer service. The concierge wasn't even nice. I am still waiting for my final bill that was supposed to be emailed to me on Sunday the 10th.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank rxipsa
Reviewed 6 August 2008

Just got back from a 8-night stay at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. I can easily understand why this hotel is ranked #1 on TripAdvisor - professionally-run, well-maintained grounds and beautiful, impeccably clean, over-sized rooms.
I initially thought being away from the beach area would be a concern - and it wasn't. The Marina Inn is along the intercoastal waterway and just a 5 minute ride away from the beach. From your room window, you have a splendid view of the marina.
It was an absolute resort experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank marmaz
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We had the pleasure of staying at the Marina Inn as part of a Marriott Time Share Presentation Package (painless presentation, respectful salesperson, timeshares were a great deal). The Marina Inn far exceeded our expectations from beautiful (palace like) resort grounds,meticuously cared for, to awesome, friendly service, plush accomodations, amazing view of marina off of balcony, to truly the best meal we have ever eaten at Waterscapes for dinner!! Could not ask for more!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2008

Our stay at the Marina Inn has surpassed any other experience I've had with hotels so far! The price they gave us for a room was a steal! It was 50% off of the advertised price listed on tripadvisor for two nights in the middle of Atlanta Bike Week.

The hotel was very clean, and the staff was exceptionally friendly. Also the grounds were very quiet and serene which was surprising considering all the noise near the beach due to all the bikes.

The pool and heated jacuzzis in the courtyard were uncrowded, and one night we were able to spend an hour in both undisturbed. The restaurants on the grounds also offered a variety of options. Dinner during happy hour was another great money saver--cheap (without skimping on the quality) drinks and nachos for next to nothing. The prices amazed me because the decor, professionalism, and effort put into every aspect of what the hotel had to offer were all top of the line.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family