“Perfect get away place!!”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #4 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cameron, North Carolina
“Perfect get away place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Will definitely stay here again!! Was only able to stay to stay one night, but the rooms are immaculate and offer amazing views of the harbor. The service is exceptional from check in to check out. The complimentary valet parking is a rare find and much appreciated bonus. The hotel is close to attractions and restaurants (Carolina Opry, Broadway at the Beach, Ruth's Chris, etc.) and offers a variety of amenities (hot tubs, pool, in-room spa services, private balcony, in-room fireplace, and free shuttle service to the beach). The on-site restaurant is well deserving of its award winning menu and its bar (reflections) has a great drink list and outdoor seating area; perfect for relaxing and/or connecting with others.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank beachc0mber5
MarinaInnManager, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
beachc0mber5, We thank you for taking time to let us know of your wonderful experience here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! We appreciate your positive comments regarding our immaculate rooms as well as the amazing views of the waterway. It looks like you truly enjoyed your stay with us and were able to enjoy the extra amenities such as our complimentary valet parking and were able to dine in WaterScapes Restaurant. We are so glad you had such a great experience and we can't wait to welcome you back again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Olathe, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I did not enjoy the hotel at all. For the price paid I expected a better than average experience. What I got was an average room with a poor view that had experienced little maintenance and cleaning. I don't know if I just experienced the place at a bad time or if I just notice things that others do not. There were pros and cons:

PROS:
- Easy to get to from the airport.
- Reflections staff was competent and outgoing (Lisa, Robert).
- Beautiful landscape.
- Some rooms have sweeping, gorgeous views of the waterway (not mine, I had the highway, pool and the jet ski rental company in the corner of the marina).
- The outdoor and indoor pools were beautiful and refreshing.
- Excellent food and service at Waterscapes.
- Close to Tanger Outlet Mall and the Pirates Voyage/Carolina Opry House.
- Ample self parking.
- I attended a business meeting/event and it was amazing. The staff was professional, charming and really went out of their to keep things cleaned up and looking nice in the event area. The event food was outstanding.

CONS:
CHECK IN - Check in time is 4 pm. We arrived at 2 and had requested early check in and a canal view on our reservation, however, rooms weren't available at that time. We got the car back from the valet, and then drove around MB, returning about 4:30 pm. The reservationist said she had a room on the first floor available but it had no view. I said I would prefer something with a canal view since I was staying 4 nights. (Everyone else in my business party were just staying 2.) She called housekeeping a few times, and she said she found a room on a high floor and that everyone wants a high floor. I agreed. I was checked into a room being held for someone else on the 5th floor, which was just a small room with two beds at the "T" of a hallway. When I entered the room with the valet, there was a small tray of fruit, two bottles of water and a note on the coffee cup stained counter with someone else's name on it. The valet called the front desk, then another woman working on the floor called them. The valet finally left and said he would let me know if keeping the room was a problem. I told him I would happy to move because the view from the room was not what I expected, and that I would wait for a room with a view. I didn't hear from anyone else about the room, except for the lady who was there earlier returned and took the fruit, water and note to put in another room. (Seriously? I wouldn't want a fruit plate that's been moved from room to room!)
FRONT DESK STAFF - The front desk staff came across as condescending. Before a room was found, she told me the total and said she was going to charge my card. I said that was fine, but that I would be willing to pay an upgrade fee for a better view. She didn't say anything and just ran the card for my estimated bill. Her behavior made me think that perhaps people don't pay their hotel bill or something? Upon check out on Sunday, I was told I have a balance due from unpaid charges at the restaurants. I said that I charged those items to my room, and figured they would be charged as part of my room. She said they were unapproved charges and they would need to run my card again to charge me. Strange? I've never had a hotel ask to charge my room charges? That's what room charges are. The front desk people seemed almost embarrassed about asking for payment at both check in and check out. It felt awkward and almost like they were accusing me of not wanting to pay my room charges.
CLEANLINESS - The room was dirty. It had mold and dust bunnies in the bathroom, carpet stains and curtain stains as well as general cleanliness issues. See photos. (Trip Advisor only lets me post 10, so these aren't ALL of the issues.)
HOUSEKEEPING - It was poor at best. See photos. Each day, the housekeeping got worse. The first day, I only had one washcloth replaced. The second I had used the shampoo/conditioner container up, but it wasn't refilled. I had NO cleaning service on the 3rd day of my stay. I had left the hotel at 9 am and returned at 8 pm to dirty towels on the bathroom floor, bed not made and trash not taken out. I called the front desk, only to have a member of housekeeping come to my door and ask me what I wanted. I told her I would like the room cleaned, and that I was out of soap. She said guests only get two bars of soap when they check in. (I only had one.) She returned with clean towels, but didn't clean the room or take out my overflowing trash clean. I gave up.
LITTLE EXTRAS WERE NON-EXISTANT - The shampoo bottle was chipped and actually had conditioner settled in the bottom of the container. It was obviously reused from other guests. The shampoo bottle was not refilled my entire stay, and I was only provided one bar of soap. There were no in-room movies (the DVD collection in the lobby was a joke). The remote had to held way above your head to turn on the tv or change the channels. You also couldn't check out on your tv like most hotels. You had to go down to the front desk and wait in line to check out. Also, I self parked my car twice during my stay because when I pulled up the valet area, no one was there to take the car.
OTHER GUESTS - Saturday night, I was awakened about 2 AM by a racquet in the hallway. There were loud male voices. Laughing, etc. The next morning, as I was leaving at 8 am, I saw two light fixtures in the hallway had been broken and a potted plant had been knocked over leaving dirt on the floor. It was like that for 6 hours? Shouldn't someone have cleaned that up? You can't tell me NO staff went onto my floor between those hours. The walls are also very thin. I could hear my neighbor's tv. I could also hear their child screaming on and off throughout my stay. You can also hear the housekeeping cart creaking down the hallway.
THE PRIVATE BEACH - I never made it to the beach because the two times I went to take the shuttle it was full and I was told to wait. The first time, I waited ten minutes, then just went to the pool. The second time, it was 15 minutes. I was told you can't drive yourself, you have to take the shuttle because it's a private beach.
ANCHOR CAFE - We tried to go there on Thursday night, but there was a storm that passed through, so they closed it.

Room Tip: I had room 6513. It had a view of the side of the building, jet ski rental company in the corner of...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Amy W
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Amy W: Thank you for taking the time to write and submit your review. Thanks for the many positive comments regarding our location, food and beverage quality, parking, pools etc. I am very sorry that we did not live up to your expectations regarding view from your room and check-in process. Both of these appear to have been more cumbersome that what is the norm…for this I am truly sorry. I am also sorry for your housekeeping and cleanliness issues. We have inspected your room and I want to thank you for bringing up these details…it is thru observations from you that we can improve the training of our staff. I cannot promise that all rooms have new carpeting but I can promise that all rooms should be CLEAN…..we fell short in this and take this seriously. Thank you for pointing this out. I am also sorry that you were awakened during the night. I can assure you that this is an exception and our hallways are normally very quiet…I am sorry you were disturbed. We take the feedback of our guests very seriously and will use your input to improve in the areas you describe. I wish your experience would have been different but I will promise that we will work hard to fix those issues that you experienced. Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback!! Sincerely, David Nelson, General Manager
Greenville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This was my first time staying here. A mini vacation for the family. I must say my wife picked a great place. The room was hugh, clean and gorgeous. The amenities were awsome and free valet parking. .what!!!..lol this is the only hotel my family will be staying at from here own. You just got yourself some regulars.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jermaine81
MarinaInnManager, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Jermaine81, Thank you so much for taking time to provide the TripAdvisor community with such positive feedback regarding your recent mini-vacation with the family here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. We were thrilled to hear that you all enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed your spacious and gorgeous rooms as well as the amenities. The complimentary valet parking is definitely a perk and we always encourage our guests to take advantage of that service. We definitely look forward to welcoming you back to your new and only home away from home here at the beach!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at the Marina Inn three times. The first time I stayed was the best hotel experience I have ever had. Cute girls at the pool and a killer music playlist created memories that I will cherish forever. The two other times were not as magical but I still had a great time. It has a peaceful location in the marina away from the honky tonk thatt one can see in Myrtle Beach. There is a wonderful private beach just a short drive away and a beautiful golf course right across an elegant bridge. I highly reccomend staying at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jake H
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I visited Myrtle Beach for the first time this year to celebrate our 10 th anniversary. We had no idea where to stay. I found reviews on trip advisor and decided on Marina Inn at Grand Dunes. What a great decision. It was romantic, fun and adventurous. The waterscape restaurant on site is very good. We had dinner there twice. The beach area was very nice and you have the option to drive or take the shuttle. The outdoor pool is beautiful. The employees are very informative and helpful. I would highly recommend staying at the Marina Inn Grand Dunes.

Room Tip: Tower 4 was quiet, over looked the golf course. The 8th floor was very nice.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BryceandGail
DavidinMB, General Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Bryce and Gail, Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and thank you for choosing The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes to celebrate your 10th anniversary! Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our resort including your experiences in our award winning restaurant: Waterscapes. Our French Chef is passionate about food and he will be gratified that you enjoyed your experience. Thank you for also mentioning our employees…..that means more to us than I can express. Thanks again for choosing The Marina Inn at Grande Dunes and we hope you will return for years to come. Sincerely, David Nelson, GM.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

My Husband and I stayed for the weekend at the Marina Inn at Grand Dunes.
we had a great time, the resort has several restaurants on site and is impeccably serviced.
We were upgraded to a beautiful 3 bedroom suite when we arrived. the outdoor pool and the hot tubs are in a beautiful landscaped area next to the Marina. every thing was well manicured and kept squeaky clean. we walked to the Anchor restaurant and sat by the river and enjoyed the open air bar and atmosphere. There is also a heated indoor pool. a small ball room for events with a lawn area.
The room was well furnished and had a full kitchen. Our suite had 2 floors so this would be ideal for a large family or a family reunion event.

Bathrooms were clean with showers and tubs very large and spacious. the walk in closets were immensely large for each rooms. and every room had a balcony with a view.
All in all this is a resort I would return to. though it is not on the beach, they do have a private beach you can go to and the hotel provides daily transportation for this. It also is kept very clean and one feels taken care of and pampered at this resort,
We had a wonderful time

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anjana B
MarinaInnManager, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Lahirp, we appreciate the feedback that you have given us about your stay here at the Marina Inn at Grande dunes and we are exhilarated to hear that you had a wonderful time! We are glad that you got to enjoy our on-site Anchor Café which is located right on the waterway. As we are not beach front, it is great to hear that you utilized our shuttle which drives you directly to our private beach access which is equipped with chairs, umbrellas and beach towels. It is evident that you enjoyed the fabulous views of the waterway that we provide here at our 4-diamond resort. We look forward to seeing you in the future here at the Marina Inn!
Hoover, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

Wonderful experience during two separate stays in May 2014. I had nothing but excellent,friendly service. Whether it was housekeeping or bartender, they were polite and helpful without fail. Management must be great to have such happy employees. Kevin was extremely knowledgeable about area and offered very good advice for dining and routes around MB.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any rooms that do not offer spectacular balcony view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Shauna H, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Nancy S, We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a wonderful review about your stay with us. We really take pride in our property and our levels of service and its great to have that noticed. Its nice you were able to enjoy the surrounding area and I'm glad Kevin was able to lead you in the right direction. Once again thanks so much for staying not once but twice in the month of May, that really says a lot about the Marina Inn and we look forward to your next stay !!!!!!