I recently spent three nights at Marina Inn before attending a work-related convention in Charleston. I was searching for a quiet and relaxing stay at a beach to escape my stressful and hectic job. I had initially reserved a beachfront room at a nearby chain hotel, but at the last minute I found endless negative reviews on Trip Advisor that caused me to cancel that reservation. I was desperate to find a room just days before my trip and Marina Inn had a last minute booking special that fit my budget. I was worried that not having an oceanfront view would be a disappointment, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had a sixth floor room overlooking the intracoastal waterway and the surrounding pastoral countryside, which was exactly the peaceful view I needed. Marina Inn's property is lovely and well-tended and service is outstanding. There were so many things that I was thrilled with -- the spacious, upscale bathroom with large tub and glass walk-in shower, the balcony, the comfortable king bed, the quiet property (I slept like a rock), and the pleasant staff. By far my favorite thing was the private beach. It's a 5-minute shuttle ride away, then a brief walk through a quiet pine forest, and then over the boardwalk to the beach. The beach attendants were very courteous and I had a lovely 2 days relaxing in the provided chairs and umbrellas. My only complaint about the beach area is the the toilets (which are port-a-toilets in a trailer setup) were backed up and not working properly while I was there, which was a little unpleasant. However, everything else about the beach service was incredible and just what I needed.
One thing I enjoyed was that Marina Inn allows you to hang a tag on your door declining housekeeping service to conserve resources, if you wish. I didn't need much service during my brief stay, so it was nice to be able to come and go as needed and not have to secure my possessions as I normally would when leaving for housekeeping. Every night that you do this, you earn a $5 credit toward hotel food/beverage services.
My only other negative issue is that when I arrived late on Saturday evening after a very long travel day, I pulled up under the portico to partake in the valet parking. There were two valets that seemed busy with guests coming and going for dinner and a few other families that were arriving with luggage. They made eye contact with me several times, but never once acknowledged me or tried to help me. After I watched them wait on several other cars that arrived after I did, I gave up and parked myself quite a ways from the main entrance and then drug my heavy luggage through the parking lot and up to the lobby area. It was frustrating, but it's really my only complaint (along with the beach bathrooms). The rest of my stay was so nice and peaceful that this slight was quickly forgotten.
I don't know that I will find myself in the Myrtle Beach area again, but if I do I will definitely try to make a stay at Marina Inn fit my budget.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Centrally located to top area attractions; AAA 4 diamond rated since 2007 and a 2011 TripAdvisor Top 25 Hotel in the US. Amenities include private access beach with full amenities; pools, whirlpools, sauna, workout facility, two golf courses and tennis onsite & summer children's activities. Additional amenities include: Wi-Fi, valet parking, concierge and in-room spa services. Dining options range from casual to elegant and include our signature restaurant WaterScapes and Ruths Chris also located onsite. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, getaroom.com, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Marina Inn at Grande Dunes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marina Inn At Grande Dunes Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Marina Hotel Myrtle Beach
- Marina Hotel At Grande Dunes