“Quiet, relaxing and lovely”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #6 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently spent three nights at Marina Inn before attending a work-related convention in Charleston. I was searching for a quiet and relaxing stay at a beach to escape my stressful and hectic job. I had initially reserved a beachfront room at a nearby chain hotel, but at the last minute I found endless negative reviews on Trip Advisor that caused me to cancel that reservation. I was desperate to find a room just days before my trip and Marina Inn had a last minute booking special that fit my budget. I was worried that not having an oceanfront view would be a disappointment, but I was pleasantly surprised. I had a sixth floor room overlooking the intracoastal waterway and the surrounding pastoral countryside, which was exactly the peaceful view I needed. Marina Inn's property is lovely and well-tended and service is outstanding. There were so many things that I was thrilled with -- the spacious, upscale bathroom with large tub and glass walk-in shower, the balcony, the comfortable king bed, the quiet property (I slept like a rock), and the pleasant staff. By far my favorite thing was the private beach. It's a 5-minute shuttle ride away, then a brief walk through a quiet pine forest, and then over the boardwalk to the beach. The beach attendants were very courteous and I had a lovely 2 days relaxing in the provided chairs and umbrellas. My only complaint about the beach area is the the toilets (which are port-a-toilets in a trailer setup) were backed up and not working properly while I was there, which was a little unpleasant. However, everything else about the beach service was incredible and just what I needed.

One thing I enjoyed was that Marina Inn allows you to hang a tag on your door declining housekeeping service to conserve resources, if you wish. I didn't need much service during my brief stay, so it was nice to be able to come and go as needed and not have to secure my possessions as I normally would when leaving for housekeeping. Every night that you do this, you earn a $5 credit toward hotel food/beverage services.

My only other negative issue is that when I arrived late on Saturday evening after a very long travel day, I pulled up under the portico to partake in the valet parking. There were two valets that seemed busy with guests coming and going for dinner and a few other families that were arriving with luggage. They made eye contact with me several times, but never once acknowledged me or tried to help me. After I watched them wait on several other cars that arrived after I did, I gave up and parked myself quite a ways from the main entrance and then drug my heavy luggage through the parking lot and up to the lobby area. It was frustrating, but it's really my only complaint (along with the beach bathrooms). The rest of my stay was so nice and peaceful that this slight was quickly forgotten.

I don't know that I will find myself in the Myrtle Beach area again, but if I do I will definitely try to make a stay at Marina Inn fit my budget.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the intracoastal waterway are quiet with a pastoral setting.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank lms68
MIExec, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear IMS68,
Thank you for your detailed comments and review of your recent stay with us at the Marina Inn. We are so pleased that we were able to accommodate your needs last minute after cancelling your reservation at the beachfront resort. There are so many places to choose when visiting Myrtle Beach and we thank you for staying with us. It is nice to hear that you were able to enjoy the serenity and the beautiful views our resort has to offer and that our beach front access and services provided there allowed you to relax and enjoy your day. I would like to apologize for the welcome that you received when you arrived. I was surprised to hear this as our team members are focused on delivering excellent service and the lack of attention is not common practice. I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with us and sincerely hope that you will stay with us again next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I have traveled to Myrtle Beach many times over the years and generally can't wait to get out of there. But not this time.The Marina Inn is first class in almost every respect. We received a very good rate for a two bed queen room overlooking the ICW. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed. Check in took longer than I would have liked as the receptionist also wears a concierge hat which can slow down registration dramatically.

We didn't eat in any of the hotel restaurants, although we were told they are excellent, opting instead for the Ruth's Chris on the campus and also excellent. We did have room service 2 mornings though, and breakfast was served on time exactly as ordered, well presented and delicious to boot. The cheerful breakfast delivery person was typical of the attitude and efficiency of the staff throughout - Five Star.

So why couldn't I find it in my heart to give the Marina Inn 5 stars overall? After a sweaty morning of golf, and a mid afternoon business meeting all I could think of was a long cool draft beer. "I'm sorry" said the apologetic barmaid, "the CO2 machine is broken".

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Brian R

Dear Brian R,
What a great compliment that your stay with us at the Marina Inn was "first class" and that you weren't in a rush to leave as you have been in the past. Our staff works hard and takes pleasure in maintaining the cleanliness and beauty of the resort in addition to providing a level of service and respect as our guests deserve nothing but the best. I hate to hear that you did not have the opportunity to dine in our award winning Waterscapes restaurant during your stay. The food is just as delicious and well presented as your rooms service orders were. I'd like to thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and acknowledging them as "Five Star". This means the world to us and we love to be able to share such positive feedback with them. I hope that your next stay with us will be just as memorable. We'll make sure to have a nice cold beer waiting for you in our Reflections bar. Thank you again for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and other travelers in the TripAdvisor community.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed with our family (11) at the Marina Inn for a week in the four bedroom suite. It was outstanding! Great service. Extremely clean rooms. Beautiful views of the golf course and waterway. Service back and forth to the beach was anyways available (I don't think we ever waiting over 5-10 minutes). The only suggestion I have for someone staying there is if you eat breakfast order off of the menu. We noticed that the ones in our party that ordered off of the menu had better choices and quality of food than those that chose the serve yourself. But this is minor since there are many restaurants in the area. Dining there for lunch or dinner was excellent. My granddaughter called us last week and said, "when are we going back"? :o)

Room Tip: We've stayed there several times and rooms have all been clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joe L
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Joe L, It is fantastic that you were able to enjoy our 4 bedroom penthouse here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! We always try to keep the rooms as clean and tidy as possible to live up to our 4 diamond expectations. Our shuttle service to and from the beach runs regularly to ensure our guests get to our private beach quickly to enjoy every second of their stay. All of our rooms provide fantastic views and we are so glad that you got to witness them. “Waterscapes” is such a great restaurant and though some people may have their preferences, a quality meal will be provided each and every time. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and we hope to have you again in the future!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was here attending a training class, my wife was with me and we had a wonderful stay here. The room was large and comfortable, but did not have a microwave. the food at the resturant and the cafe down at the marina was very good. only 2-3 miles to the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ricky S
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Ricky s, We are so happy you and your wife were able to enjoy the property while here for your training class. It seems you were in one of our over-sized Grande Guest rooms during your stay which as you mentioned does not feature a microwave. For your next trip try to book one of our Studio units as they feature a mini-fridge, sink and microwave. If for your next trip you would prefer a full kitchen then you may want to consider booking one of our Mediterranean Club Suites or even larger two or three bedroom suites. We are glad you were able to enjoy WaterScapes restaurant while here as well. We do hope to welcome you back to the Marina Inn again very soon!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband I are from California and have take our 3 grandchildren and daughter who live in North Carolina to Myrtle Beach several times in the past in July. Someone recommended the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes so we thought we would try that over the lovely, North Beach Plantation where we stayed in the past. Quite honestly, I didn't see how it could measure up; however, the Marina Inn surpassed all of are expectations. The 2 bedroom condo we stayed in was positively gorgeous with a nice view of the waterway with great sunsets. The pool was very nice but the beach is where we spent a lot of our time. They have their own private beach with excellent shuttle service all day long. Their own lifeguard is right there on the beach and there to maks sure you have chairs and umbrellas all set up. There was NO additional charge for the towels, chairs, umbrellas. Towels, bathrooms, and a little place to buy sandwhiches, food, drinks, etc. were all right there at our disposal as well. We had a lovely buffet breakfast and the 3 children were able to partake in it as well or order anything off their menu and the children's meals were FREE for all of their meals.
The people who work there are positively fabulous. They go out of their way to make sure all their guests are comfortable! Oh - and the kids LOVED the 3:00 p.m. WARM home made cookies that were delivered in an area close to the lobby and lemonade was provided as well.
We will definitely go there again and again and not even bother to try any other place. It was a very fair price as well because if you stay 4 nights, the 5th night is free. Can't get better than that! We look forward to coming back to the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes over and over again!

Room Tip: Waterway, Coastal view is nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mabsbuono
Shauna H, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Mabsbuono, Thanks so much for sharing your positive experience. We are so happy that you loved your 2 bedroom condo. Those rooms are very spacious and beautiful. We were also very happy to hear that you enjoyed the convenient shuttle to and from our private beach access area and that we do not charge for the towels, chairs, umbrellas. Thank you also for mentioning the delicious cookies we put out daily at 3pm, they are made daily just moments before they are brought out. We cant wait to see you and your family again and look forward being able to accommodate you again. Have a Grande Day !!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Let me first start off by saying," WOW!!!"..This hotel is more than we all expected. From excellent hotel service,friendly staff,courteous valet staff,everyone made us feel welcome. Rooms spacious,beautifully decorated and gorgeous views from master bedroom and terrace. We stayed in Waterway Towers. Perfect for a family with children as the room comes with full kitchen,washer and dryer,more than comfortable beds and pillows...Will recommend to all my family and friends and can't wait to come back in the near future. I want to recommend Kevin at the front desk he helped us get our room in a desperate measure as we already booked in another hotel and that was a horrible experience..but once we walked into Marina Inn at the Dunes it felt like heaven...

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank shaina24
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Shaine24, Thank you so very much for the wonderful feedback you have provided regarding your experience here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! Especially for mentioning one of our team members, Kevin by name! It is always so nice to hear when a team member can help make a vacation memorable. We were happy to hear we not only met but even exceeded your expectations as that is what we strive for with every guest. We can't wait to welcome you back to the Marina Inn, your own little piece of heaven!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This resort is so beautiful and peaceful!! The view of the Intercoastal Waterway was gorgeous!! Our room was conveniently located on the lower level which was the same level as where the pool was located. Our room seemed quiet and tranquil which made for the perfect getaway. The service was wonderful and the resort was clean and relaxing. We will definitely be going back! Don't miss the cookies they serve at 3 pm in the lobby. They are to die for!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Charlie A
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Charlie, We appreciate you taking time to let others in the TripAdvisor community know of your positive experience while a guest here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! Thank you so much for the wonderful comments regarding the resort. Hearing that you found the property to be beautiful and tranquil is truly gratifying to all of us here at the Marina Inn as that is the experience we want for our guests. We are so happy to hear you will be coming back and are eagerly awaiting your arrival!