“Good value in the off season, but make sure this is for you.”

Marina Inn at Grande Dunes
Ranked #5 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Waynesboro, Virginia
“Good value in the off season, but make sure this is for you.”
Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

Pros: Beautiful property with neat infinity pool, spa, access to massage, Ruth's Chris Steakhouse and cool grounds. The room was fantastic for the money, for sure: nice tub, tile shower comfortable bed and a little balcony overlooking the river. I had dinner at Waterscapes downstairs and couldn't sing their praises enough; also fantastic food for the money. All the staff treated me kindly and were overly helpful.

Cons: This is not beachfront. You're taking a shuttle to their private beach. It's not a big deal as it arrives at the hotel every 15 minutes and it isn't far, but it's not walking distance. Also, you can show up at the hotel at two pm and they will allow you to use the shuttle, the pool or anything you wish to utilize on the property BUT as many others have said, you're not getting a room (most likely.) I was told I'd have mine by 4pm. I got a call at nearly 6pm. I used the pool. If you can handle those two negatives, this is probably the best value at Myrtle.

Stayed September 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Annjillena
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Annjillena, Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. It was wonderful to hear how you found the property to be beautiful and enjoyed our infinity edge pool. It was also great to hear that you enjoyed the room you were in as well as WaterScapes Restaurant. It seems though you were able to enjoy our complimentary shuttle to our private beach area with complimentary umbrellas and beach chairs. It is great to hear that this was a convenient option for you. As you had mentioned our check-in time does not begin until 4:00 pm but we are always happy to allow our guests the opportunity to arrive early as we know our guests are excited to start their vacation early. We are glad you were able to enjoy the facilities prior to checking in. Typically guests should be able to get in prior to 6:00 pm and I am very sorry for your extended wait. I have shared this information with our management staff so we can work to ensure this does not happen. We do hope to see you again if you find your travels bring you to the Myrtle Beach area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 September 2014

The process from check in to depart was great.
Great service, valet parking amazing bathroom, and wonderful room.
I Plan TO STAY THERE AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE.

I found great dining on site and near by.
By business appointment the next day was close by.
Because everything at the Marina Inn was top shelf, I believe that my clients received even better support than I planned.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
MIExec, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Ronald C. Thank you so much for choosing the Marina Inn when you were on business here in Myrtle Beach. There are so many places to choose from and we appreciate you allowing us the opportunity to earn your business. I am so pleased that each experience that you had was great and that you were able to enjoy some of the wonderful amenities we have to offer both here on property and nearby. Thank you so much for taking time to share such positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again next time you're in the area.
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We stayed in a King Guest Room at the Marina Inn on Friday and Saturday of this past Labor Day Weekend. The property is beautiful and well maintained. The room was large and comfortable, the bed was wonderful, the pool area is gorgeous and we found the staff we came in contact with to be friendly and courteous. The room had some nice features/touches--balcony with chairs, separate shower, glass wine glasses and coffee mugs--that made it a cut above a typical hotel room.

The biggest downside of this property for us, is that it not located within walking distance of the beach. The hotel does have a very nice private beach access with chairs, umbrellas, towels and a snack bar. However, the beach access is two miles from the hotel---not walkable for us in summer heat. The hotel provides a circulating shuttle which was convenient for us getting to the access, but not back: we had to wait until the 3rd trip (25 minutes in the sun!) The drive to the access takes about 5 minutes and the staff will provide directions when pressed. Curiously, the hotel doesn't promote the beach access. It wasn't even listed in the "Favorite Grande Dune Pastimes" section of the information book in the room.

While the location didn't suit us for walking to the beach, it is well located for driving to shopping and restaurants in the greater Myrtle Beach area.

We did have a few issues in our stay which are reason for 4 instead of a 5-star rating. Early in the week before our stay, I called (on-line contact option wasn't working) and requested a quiet room away from the elevator, ice machine and hall noise. Imagine my disappointment when I could see our assigned room as I got off the elevator. Fortunately, they were able to moved us to a nice, quiet room, as I had requested. We did have some minor housekeeping issues. The crackers under the footstool could be overlooked, but the missing towels showed not only poor housekeeping, but also lack of supervisory review.

Other note: The shower is separate from the tub which looks nice, but means there's no shower curtain rod to hang items to dry. We haven't been asked about our experience in a survey or other follow up, if I am asked, I will suggest to the hotel that they put a retractable clothesline in the bathroom so guests, such as our neighbors, don't have to use their balcony railing as a drying rack. Shelves in the bathroom, like those in the entryway, would make the bathroom more functional.

In conclusion, I would recommend this property for people who are going to Myrtle Beach for something other than the beach (golf, shop, special event), particularly those looking for a hotel that offers above average rooms and amenities.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ethelouise
Shauna H, Front Office Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
ethelouise, We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Thank you for your appreciation of our property. We take great pride in it and Im so glad it shows. I am sorry that you didn't like the fact that you were not on the beach. We try to give as much information as we can on our website and also through our reservations office to allow guests to choose us even though we are not directly on the ocean. We also have our amenities sheet that you are given at check in to inform you of the beach and shuttle service options. Our shuttle does run continuously on the weekends right now to help assist guests who do want to enjoy the beach while here. It is thanks to our guests and their honest feedback that we are able to react to our shortcomings and use them as opportunity for continued growth. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to share your thoughts with us.
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel is fantastic!! The room is beautiful, spacious and well equipped. The views are beautiful and the hotel very clean. The service is exceptional. We go back every year and we are never disappointed.

1 Thank Ourholiday154980
Ourholiday154980, We are just ecstatic that you enjoyed our property so much and continue to come back to us every year. Thank you very much for all your kind words, it is always great to hear that we are doing a good job and providing exceptional customer service. We hope that we continue to "wow" you and cant wait till the next stay so we can do it again. Have a Grande Day.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I cant say enough wonderful things about this place. The valet guy helped me and my family and even gave us tips on fun things to do in myrtle beach. Check in was good, there was a line but you could tell they working hard to get it moving with a smile on there faces.Our room was so nice, it had this round balcony that made me feel like i was in a movie. There are few minor things that could use improvement but I spoke with the manager about them all before i left and she assured me she would tell the appropriate departments to have the problems fixed, she really made me feel like thats exactly what she would do. We have really traveled alot this summer and have seen some beautiful properties.This is one of the best because its away from the hustle and bustle and yet close enough to an outlet center for shopping, the beach is only a mile away and they have a bus that takes you there with chairs and umbrellas and everything. I am so glad i decided to stay here with my family. I plan on coming back with the inlaws in october when the weather is even nicer.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a rounded balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Heather M, thank you for the fantastic review on TripAdvisor and we are glad to know that you had a perfect end to a perfect summer here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! Our valet staff provides exceptional service and are extremely welcoming to our wonderful guests and we are happy that you found this to be the case. Sometimes check-in can get backed up due to high occupancy, but our front desk associates work timelessly to accommodate our guests in a timely and helpful manner. We do appreciate your feedback on things that you believe could lead to the betterment of the resort for future guests. We are so happy that you view us as a quality property that you can see yourself returning back, and can’t wait to welcome you back again! We look forward to seeing you soon
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I arrived at this beautiful resort about two weeks ago. From the minute i pulled in the customer service was unsurpassed from unloading my car to to my room,check in etc.

the room was a 2 bedroom villa at least 1200sq ft. full kitchen lr/dr etc. great view of coastal waterways.

the service shuttle to beach was great drivers courteous and helpful.Its great leaving all the sand an mess on shuttle and not in my car.they supply beach chairs, toys, boogy boards ,towels etc.

indoor pool a little stuffy,but outdoor pool was a pleasure, both open 24/7 (if u don't make noise). grounds are beautiful including ping pong and volley board court.

they also include ia 24hr valet service for your car which is priceless, one phone call and your car is ready outside with AC running.

i recommend this hotel to any family friendly people or couple who wan a nice and great vacation.

Only Neg i can say is
1) the rooms can be better cleaned and room service should be more consistent.
2)for a room which is supposed to sleep at least 6 there is barley towels in room for 4.But one phone call to room service and as many towels or soaps etc that was needed was delivered in a very short time.
3) you have to go thru an outside porch to get to your room

I did not use any restaurant due to allergies so no comment.

special shout out to all those who made my vacation more pleasurable bell boys and shuttle drivers.
Kim, Dave, Greg, john and the rest.
ready to book my next vacation there

Room Tip: room facing pool& waterway tower seven high floor
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jack W, we are excited to hear that you had such a fantastic time here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes! It is always great to hear when we excel in customer service as that is what we strive to do. We were happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle service to and from our private beach access. As for your feedback regarding the cleaning service we will be sure to speak with our Director of Housekeeping to ensure these areas of improvement are addressed. We also apologize for the shortage in towels, but it is great to know that housekeeping was able to deliver extra towels in a timely manner. We hope to welcome you again in the future here at the Marina Inn!
New York
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

You know the saying...You get what you pay for? Well this is definitely the case at Marina Inn Grande Dunes! It's a bit pricey compared to most hotels in area, even oceanfront ones but my family and I recently stayed here and all I can say is WOW! We have been coming to the Myrtle Beach area for past 25 years and this is by far one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in! I booked a 2 bedroom 2 bath villa with views of the intercoastal waterway and was so pleased with every aspect of the hotel. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful especially the valet guys. The pool area is gorgeous. It looks out over the marina, has a pool bar and arts and crafts area for the kids. One of the great features is the hotels Private Beach. It is a 5 minute ride to the beach by private shuttle or your own car. Once you arrive it has a changing area, bathrooms, cabana, snack bar and FREE beach chairs and umbrellas! In the morning you can enjoy complimentary coffee in the lobby as well as complimentary lemonade and hot fresh baked cookies in the afternoon! This hotel has everything and staff will go out of their way to get you something you need. Definitely book this place, you will want to come back again and again. I know we look forward to coming back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jay C
Anthony_Bot, Manager at Marina Inn at Grande Dunes, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Jay C, We truly appreciate you taking time to let other potential travels know of your positive experiences while a guest of ours here at the Marina Inn at Grande Dunes. It is always a pleasure to hear when families such as your own can come to the beach, stay with us here and truly relax and enjoy. We can't thank you enough for the kind words regarding all of your years coming to the beach and that you have found us to be one of the best! Our staff will be happy to hear of the incredible comments and feedback you have provided as this is what we strive for each day, to ensure our guests enjoy a memorable experience. We are already counting down the days to your next stay with us!