“Sixth stay at the SeaWatch and still superb!”

Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation
Ranked #51 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleveland, Ohio
“Sixth stay at the SeaWatch and still superb!”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The Seawatch has always delivered. Perfect location and view of the Atlantic Ocean. I also ordered a really good Long Island and Tequila Sunrise at the poolside Tiki Hut. Friendly staff at the Captian's Nook and Captian's Cove! Marvin is the Master of the Omelets! He makes the greatest omelets I have ever had in my life. Very generous on the bacon, ham, and cheese! I had to get two! The kielbasa and french toast are no joke! Robert was a great server. We had a better experience, meal, and service at Seawatch than we did at Greg Norman's Aussie Grill at Barefoot Landing! Didn't catch their names, but the crew serving Breyer's Ice Cream are also very welcoming. We have stayed in both the North and South towers and have always enjoyed our suite. We will definitely be returning to the SeaWatch Plantation! Can't wait!

Room Tip: Always Ocean Front
4 Thank Leah R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Middle River, Maryland
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We came to this location with all hopes of having a great time. We had more than a great time but more like a incredible time. This resort is top notch and we have no complaints what so ever. Everything was clean and neat.

2 Thank Sownd
Newport News, Virginia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

As we were checking in and were told we were in Villa III, my son heard another guest say he was relieved that his family was moved from Villa 3 to Villa 2. My son thought uh oh. We were pleasantly surprised, however, at how nice our 3 bedroom was. The 2 most important things I look for in a hotel are cleanliness and no sign of bugs -our villa met both of these requirements. Great view, quiet rest, close to attractions and shopping, loved the washer/dryer! We will definitely come back to the Seawatch Plantation. The only negative was the pushiness of the people selling the timeshares. We didn't want to hear their sales pitch and tried to nicely say that. Both Saturday and Sunday morning, we received 2 phone calls which we didn't answer and then a knock on the door which we answered on Sat, but ignored on Sun. I guess I was too nice when we checked in. We finally made an appointment to hear their spiel to get rid of them and then cancelled it with a phone call later.

4 Thank SouthVA
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I came down to sea watch at the end of April with my dad, my brother, sister in law, and their three kids. We stayed on the third floor of the north tower in a room over looking the pools and ocean, the view was great and the room was plenty big enough for all of us. The room was clean and well maintained and when we requested extra towels, etc...our requests were met very quickly and by very hospitable associates. The resort offers plenty to do for people of all ages, I spent my time in one of the many pools, the ocean and the tiki bar. If you decide to stay at this resort be sure to stop by the tiki bar and say hello to Joy, she provides great drinks and great conversation and was a joy to be around!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Diver_Down1111
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 April 2014

To begin with, the manager of the resort, Kathy (I hope she reads this), is unprofessional and unorganized. After forcing us to move from our original beachfront room to a far inferior room (located off the beach, facing a trailer park), I spoke to her for fifteen minutes on the phone about the resort's lack of professionalism. Kathy couldn't care less. Typically, when a resort makes a mistake in booking, they compensate you in some way. Not here! In fact, according to Kathy, it was our fault that we were having to move because we booked through Orbitz....Not sure how that makes sense since Wyndham willingly does business through Orbitz...
More could be written, but the take-home here is that if you choose to pay the $200 a night to stay here, please know that you may have to pack up all your things and move to another room in the middle of your trip (according to Kathy, our group, along with 10 other families that day were getting moved - this evidently happens quite frequently). And don't expect to hear an apology from management. If you're not a time-share owner here, you're considered a second-class citizen. They'll move you to make room for the important people. But hey, if you don't mind taking the risk, go for it.
There are many other places you can go in Myrtle Beach on a $200/night budget that won't make you move rooms in the middle of your trip, are closer to attractions, and are not located next to a trailer park. If you stay here, good luck!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank Jeff W
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Hi Jeff,

We are disappointed to hear your interaction with the resort staff did not meet your expectations, as this is not part of the Count On Me service we take pride in. We know that while on vacation it is imperative that our guests are treated well. We would certainly like to clarify what happened while you were there. Please rest assured we will have someone further review your concerns regarding the unit changes. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The room was not what I would expect for the price that people pay for this space.
We were in 302 North tower.
- The location is nice, and the outside pools seemed very adequate, with plenty of hot tubs.
- There was NO room for any personal items on the sink. We had NO PLACE to put our toothbrush, deodorant, etc.
- The ceiling in the bathroom was so low, I hit my hand on the ceiling and light fixture when I raised my arm to clean my underarms. (I am 5' 9")
- The low-flow shower was so low, it was almost impossible to rinse off
- While showering in the guest bathroom, the pipes shook so badly that it sounded like an air compressor was running on the other side of the wall
- our toilet leaked slowly, causing the water to turn-on briefly about every 10-15 minutes throughout the night
- The Internet was miserably slow - my speed test showed that I was getting about the speed of a 56K modem on download.
- The condo had two doors that went out to two separate balconies! So, we really could not put all four of us on one balcony, and even if we had two people on each balcony, they couldn't see each other to be able to talk to one another!
- The remote controls for the TVs were a joke! It looked like you ran down to the dollar store, and bought the cheapest remote possible. The TV had lots of inputs, screen resolutions, sleep timer etc.... NONE of which you could access with a remote control that has nothing more than ON, OFF, CHANNEL UP+DOWN, VOLUME UP+DOWN.

- We made it very clear at check-in that we had no interest in any type of 60-minute "owner's update" (sales pitch). Despite that, we received phone calls. Eventually, we unplugged the phone. On the 3rd day of our stay, they knocked on our door! For God sakes, we wanted a VACATION. Nate came into our Condo for a "survey". Said he had some information that he could print out and we could take home to consider - no pressure.
We went to the sales office at the appointed time, and waited 20 minutes. He finally passed us off to a lady (Kathy), who told us about all of the stuff that we just missed, if we had only done this last year. I could care less about what I can't do. She talked in circles (classic time-share sales pressure cooker speak) and never made it clear what we really COULD get for what price. At one point she was telling us about the Wyndham buy-back program for VIP members, where Wyndham will buy back the property at 20% of your purchase price, and that's a great deal because "you know you can't sell these on the open market - they go for a penny on eBay". OH... that makes sense then - pay $23,000 for something that she admits is worthless, but I can get $4,600. back!
We go on vacation to get away from stress, not deal with sales pressure stress. Especially when we made it clear that we had no interest.
Is it any wonder that timeshares are on ebay at two for a penny? If you had a real valuable product to sell, it would sell itself!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank thomner
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with the room and resort accommodations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home by providing a variety of household accommodations. The low-flow showers are provided as an eco-friendly appliance. We have alerted our maintenance staff about the leaking toilet and pipe noise from the shower in your unit so these items can be resolved. We are sorry to hear that your internet needs were not met. As you know we have many properties which house a large amount of guests and their wireless devices. We are working to improve this feature; however this may take some time. We also apologize for any negative encounters you had with our sales staff. We understand that your time is valuable and vacation is certainly a time for relaxation. We will be sure to let our management know about these concerns so that we can ensure all our guests are having a satisfactory stay. Thanks for bringing these items to our attention.
Central NY
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I rented privately and will only review the amenities of the Seawatch Resort / Plantation and not the condo itself as it, as some other units are at this resort, is privately owned and furnished. Be forewarned, your experience WILL vary from condo to condo if you rent privately. I was completely satisfied with my private rental condo. Here is my review of the Seawatch Resort / Plantation:

General location of property - Excellent location at the end of the Conway Bypass (SC-22) with a connection to the Carolina Byway (SC-31). Couldn't be any more perfect. Centrally located to all that is Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach. Easy in, Easy out. "Restaurant Row" is right behind the resort on Route 17 (Check out Margarita's, it was VERY GOOD). Walmart and the Tanger Outlets are right behind the resort as well, couldn't be any more convenient as you didn't even have to drive Route 17 at all. If Walmart isn't your thing, Kroger, Eagles, and Wings were at the other end of "Kings Rd." (not to be confused with Kings Highway). Myrtle Beach Ball / Bass Pro Shops right across Route 17 from resort. Barefoot Landing is only 2 miles away. The Apache Pier, one of the longest I've ever laid eyes upon, is an easy 1/2 mile beach walk.

The Building / Grounds - Aside from the nice ponds surrounded by seagrass and cat tails, there isn't much more "green space" to be had. It's a compact resort. Not necessarily a bad thing, but something to consider if your looking for your "green" side of life. Plenty of concrete to be had here. Overall cleanliness was good with one issue. The garbage cans on the beach were terribly overflowing with garbage for at least two days straight. A severe eyesore when you are coming to the beach to enjoy the natural surroundings. Not sure if this is the resorts responsibility or the City of Myrtle Beach, but somebody needs to haul out the trash. I'm no green peace activist, but I shouldn't have to see boat loads of trash on the beach. If there was a storm surge, this trash would have made it's way to the ocean easily. I have been to other beaches along the east coast and gulf coast during peak seasons and NONE had trash like this. (Also seen same overflowing trash bins at resorts down the beach while on my morning jog....Myrtle Beach, what gives?).

The Pools - All, except one outdoor in the middle of complex, were heated VERY nicely. The resort should be commended for such warm pools, a nice welcome feature when the weather was cool. Sadly, the lazy rivers are not heated but we did not miss them with the choice of 6 heated pools and 9 hot tubs to use. All were maintained every morning by the staff, but by days end a few hot tubs looked suspect for cloudy water and foam, a sure sign of poor water quality (and yes, I know my pool water chemistry). The pools on the other hand, faired well with heavy usage, and the water was always crystal clear. Which brings me to usage. The North Tower pool (during Spring) gets plenty more usage than the South Tower pool(s) due to the fact that it gets sun almost all day. Much more than the South Tower pool(s), which started losing sun around 2pm in mid-April due to the shadow of the looming South Tower. Wouldn't be a problem on 78 degree days, but on 66 degree days you can expect a chill "in the shadow".

Activities - There were a few activities for the children. My daughter had her hair braided one day and they had "Turtle Races" (which we did not partake) in one of the lazy rivers posted as "Every day at Noon". There was a DJ at the North Tower pool one day from 12 pm until 4 pm and played a good selection of new and old stuff. Really got the kids dancing and people singing, it was fun. By the time 4 pm rolled around there was so much hootin' and hollerin', dancin', kids jumpin', and such, that I thought I was in the pool scene from Caddyshack. And to be honest...I liked it!!! LOL. Everyone was letting loose their winter steam. Although that "letting loose" would carry on to the wee hours of the morning, see next section.

Overall - Well, the Seawatch is a pretty decent resort. It is conveniently located, has plenty of pools, great beach access, a nice stretch of beach, and is visually appealing. The "rough edges" I mention in the title are:
1) the lack of enforcing the rules for an 11pm pool closing time. EVERY night there were people in either the pools or hot tubs well into the night (once was 4am !!). Wouldn't be a problem if they could keep it "toned down", but they couldn't.
2) Fireworks. Yeah, I love fireworks...love them. No I really love them. Just not almost every night at the stroke of midnight or sometimes later! Not totally Seawatch's fault, because some were "shoot and run", but some displays did last quite awhile.
3) The aforementioned trash on the beach. I have been to other beaches in the height of summer and I have NEVER seen the amount of trash either on the beach, or overflowing the can like I did here. A shame.
4) The booking of a wedding reception in the North Tower restaurant, and balcony, that partied into at least 1am on a Saturday night. I was in the South Tower and could CLEARLY hear conversations and the occasional drunken cursing. Seawatch certainly has the right to rent the facility for a wedding reception, but they do so at the cost to their larger audience, a poor business practice. Are they in the business of vacation rentals or party rentals? I would be certain that there had to be someone staying in the North Tower (even South for that matter) that had an issue with this party. Resort rules had quiet time listed as starting at 10pm, so much for that. And I'm no prude, I party with the best of them... but when I party, I tend to do so in the confines of my condo or quiet hours, or both. If

Aside from it's shortcomings, I would consider staying here again because of the location, number of pools, the nice unit I rented, and well...location. Like they say in real estate...."location, location, location."

Room Tip: If you're looking for all day sun on your balcony, look to the North Tower units.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
#1 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort
Hilton Myrtle Beach Resort
#41 of 209 in Myrtle Beach

Been to Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation? Share your experiences!