“Stay In The Villas” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Southern Illinois
“Stay In The Villas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We enjoyed our recent trip to Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation. It does have room for improvement but overall it was a good choice for our family. We are Wyndham owners and expect their properties to be "unique but similar". First, it is important to understand that the Villas are owned and operated exclusively by Wyndham and the Towers are not. Apparently, ownership is shared by Wyndham and SeaWatch. Sometimes these relationships are confusing for customers and result in poor experiences. THIS REVIEWER RECOMMENDS THE VILLAS. Our room was clean and appeared to have been recently remodeled. As some reviewers have mentioned, it is a very compact resort but they make great use of their allotted space. This resort is truly "on the beach" and has nice access to the Atlantic. Their pools, landscaping and exterior areas are clean and tidy. We experienced good service and smiling faces during our visit with the exception of the Non-Wyndham lifeguard that works the adjacent beach. Apparently the county has jurisdiction of the beach. They allow a chair/umbrella company to charge extreme prices to rent their equipment. If you have your own chairs and umbrellas they must be set-up behind the rentals. The lifeguard is also an employee or the chair/umbrella company and enforces the rules! This policy stinks and is unfair! Anyway, we found the this resort (Wyndham Villas) to be "Very Good".

Room Tip: Remember, go with a Villa.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jeramie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

This summer we decided to spend our family beach vacation at the SeaWatch Plantation. As a 30 something without kids, I was a overwhelmed by the number of children at the resort.

We had a 3 bedroom condo on the 5th floor of the south tower. The decor in the room is horrible, outdated hotel furniture. In the past, though, we have stayed at condos with white couches and glass table tops which would surely be destroyed or be injured by the kids. The lay-out of the place was also kid friendly in that the king room overlooked the beach and was attached to the porch, and the rooms with the queen beds were located on the street side. A hallway separated the kitchen/common areas from the street side rooms. This allowed the adults to stay up and talk without having to panic if we got a little loud. The 2 bathrooms were very narrow, and again, outdated but the water pressure in the shower was markedly nice.

There was free wifi but it was not reliable. The maids were nice, bringing in new towels, making up the beds, and vacuuming daily. This place also had plenty of luggage carts.

Once we checked in, they told us that we would be able to check out with only 24 hours notice and get the remaining balance back. I have never heard of this with a place before and thought that it was really nice.

There are several pools to choose from, and I was impressed that a few of them had pool lifts (designed for handicapped individuals). The only negative about them was the overwhelming smell of chlorine; but being packed with kids all day, I can see how that would happen.. Just beyond the pools was the beach. Having younger kids with our group, the convenience of pools and beach access was so nice. While the pools did not have lifeguards, there was security close by at the gates to the beach. I was reassured to know that if there was an accident at the pool, an adult with a walkie talkie would be there to contact help. The beach did have life guards, which were active and helpful. We decided to rent to beach chairs and umbrella, which go for $30 a day. If you bring your own, umbrellas must be set up behind the line of rental umbrellas and cannot exceed a 64" diameter. No tents or anything with side coverings allowed, fyi.

The North tower is where all the action is. On Thursday they had a DJ next to a pool that was packed with people tossing around a beach ball. Fun atmosphere.

The tiki hut included a full bar and drinks were reasonably priced.

Overall, it's a great place if you are traveling with kids and they have a nice cancellation policy.

1 Thank DanaNotestine
Princeton, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

This resort is not the cleanest and not very well managed.
The beach area is nice but the pool is really dirty and it seems that they do not clean it on regular basis which, given the huge crowd at the hotel makes the water really dirty. Even the kids did not want to go to the pool...
That said if you like DJs playing loud music at the pool you may like this place.
The personnel is generally nice. The bartender at the tiki bar (Jesse VW) was particularly nice.
Overall I would not go back to this hotel and am surprised that the Windham chain is not doing a better job at managing their facility.

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank cantstoptravelingusa
Manning, SC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

I have reviewed SeaWatch before, and my family has made it a point to stay here every time we visit Myrtle Beach because our stays had always been wonderful. I've even referred several of my friends! Well, I am disappointed to say that my husband and I have agreed that it's time for us to find another vacation spot. I want to be fair and say that I've not had any problems with the two-bedroom accommodations at any time. While having the extra space with two busy children is pretty awesome, it really makes more sense (and saves money) to book a one-bedroom. I've found the one-bedroom suites to be problematic. I will for the most part stick to the issues for this stay. The room appeared to be pretty clean, which is always good. The first (very minor) problem I found is that the bathroom door wouldn't lock. We called the front desk, they sent someone up from maintenance. Well, before the maintenance guy arrived, I realized that the lid to the toilet tank was obviously the wrong size. I almost knocked it onto the floor, as it slid backwards then the toilet seat cover was pushed back completely. It scared me half to death!! I mentioned this when the maintenance guy arrived, and he said, "I don't know what's wrong with this lid!" Well, I'm a woman, not in any type of maintenance field, and it was obvious that the lid was simply not meant for this commode! My husband even said this to the guy, but he ignored. The bathroom door knob had been changed, but nothing was ever done about the lid, and let me tell you, it's a good thing to be sitting already when you realize the lid may come crashing to the tile floor, because it may literally scare the crap out of you!! Well, that is, if the bathroom ventilation system doesn't get you first! It sounds like it's about to kick the bucket. It's loud--really loud!! Next, the kitchenette counter backsplash was warped, and has started to peel away from the countertop and wall. Okay, not a big deal, but again, there should really be more attention to detail, and I'm sure given the right circumstances (or children), this could be a hazard. Next, the shower curtain rod support was cracked, and I thought the shower curtain rod could come crashing down at any moment. Next, I pull my comforter down, ready to get into bed after a very long drive and eventful day, only to find a brown skid mark. Okay, I'm a nurse, so at this point in my life and career, I don't assume. It could have been poop, dried blood, or chocolate but I don't care at this point, all I see is potential exposure to bodily fluids. I called the front desk, and asked for a replacement (not explaining why), and they offered to pick up the comforter, wash/dry it, and return it. The last thing I want to do is be the high maintenance vacationer that every customer service agent hates, so I didn't even mention the counter or the shower rod. The comforter was returned a few hours later-- without the mystery skid mark. I want to make it clear that I've never had a problem with the customer service of the SeaWatch staff, it's just the fact that I don't feel as though I should have to book a two-bedroom suite just to be sure that I will get a clean, comfortable room.

Room Tip: Choose a two-bedroom if possible.
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank HappyJoi
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I've been to this resort several times in the past. There is a North and South Tower (and some Villas). We prefer the North Tower for several reasons. The first is the parking. In the North Tower parking you pull up, and take ONE elevator to your room. In the South Tower, you pull up, and if you're not lucky enough to get a spot on the ground level, you have to take an elevator down with all your stuff, cross a road, and then go up yet ANOTHER elevator to your room - no fun at all, especially with a cart or two full of your belongings. The second reason is that the South Tower isn't as close to the poolside "action" such as the pool parties where they hire a DJ.

So to try and secure a spot in the North Tower, which seemed like a reasonable idea, we booked a 3-bedroom ocean-front condo 6-months in advance for a July trip to the beach for one week (Sunday to Sunday) - which cost me close to $3000 dollars. We requested the North Tower, of course. Upon arriving, we were told that they only had 3 bedroom oceanfront condos in the South Tower. We said we had requested the North Tower, but they said they didn't see any note of it. My wife then pulled out the confirmation sheet we printed off when we booked over the internet - which clearly showed the notation of "requesting North Tower" - to which the lady behind the counter said, "Oh". She then added that there was nothing in the North Tower because "a lot of the owners had checked in". Okay, fine, let's see what the room in the South Tower looks like...

Well, the room in the South Tower was on the second floor. We didn't like it for several reasons - the furniture was the cheap stuff you couldn't really sit on for very long, and the deck - it had this tall railing around it. Just what you want when you go to the beach for a week - a great view of the ocean thru tall bars, sort of like you're looking at the ocean in jail. So, we went back to the front desk to get a different oceanfront 3 bedroom, they only had one left, so we had no choice but to take room 1106 in the South Tower.

Let me cut to the chase with why this room was so bad. For close to $3000 we got a room that had..

-stains on one of the chairs and the couch in the living room
-3 of the lamps did not light up
-the dryer squeaked VERY loudly while running
-couldn't pull out the drawer next to the dishwasher without the dishwasher door opening up!
-the picture on all the televisions were grainy/snowy and NOT high def
-there wasn't a single mixing bowl in the kitchen
-for a condo that sleeps 8 without the pull-out couch - there were only 6 forks total
-the upper pull-out shelf in the dishwasher rarely went back in right

Perhaps worst of all, the refrigerator rose to 50+ degrees several days after we arrived, which spoiled most of the food we had just bought. I know this because my wife had to run out to Wal-Mart and buy a thermometer. For those not in the know, anything higher then about 40 degrees invites bacteria to start growing.

Fed up with all of this, I just couldn't take it any more after the refrigerator went out, so we decided to see who we could talk to. First we found out that the condo was privately owned - and so we talked with the assistant rental manager, the guy who apparently handles the rentals for the owners. In short, this is what resulted..

-there is nothing that could be done about reserving a room in the North Tower, even if you book well in advance. So forget about that - you get what they want you to get.

-as far as the poor condition of the room, he said that housekeeping is the quality control, and they are suppose to walk through and let them know if there are things that aren't working. Obviously a broken system that isn't working...at all.

-he did offer to compensate us for the lost food, as well as give us a 10% discount for our stay

-he also added that he could send letters to the owners about the condition of the condos, but his hands are tied if they don't want to do anything about it - which they obviously don't

-he did offer to send maintenance up to fix all the broken things. However we declined because last time we were here, the first day we checked in, the door didn't lock - whereby it took two days, and about 4 workers to fix it. It was a constant "in and out" of workers the whole time while we were trying to enjoy our stay - and so when he said he could send workers up to fix the room, we declined. Who wants strange people in and out of your room all day the whole time you're on a one-week vacation? Especially when all this stuff should be fixed BEFORE you rent the condo.

So when all is said and done, I have to say, its a broken system that doesn't prevent this kind of stuff from continuing to happen. The outside IS kept up, but the inside is a crapshoot - if you stay at this place, perhaps your experience won't be like mine, but on the other hand, it very well could be.

Needless to say, this is not what anyone should expect for paying top dollar - and we're definitely looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: Forget about reserving ahead of time to get a requested room.
Green Features: There are people smoking out on the pool area every night despite no-smoking signs - who enforces that?
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank JIm J
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

First time here but I hope it won't be the last. Land wise this is not a spacious resort but whoever developed it knew how to get the most out of the small plot of land. Two large towers, three villas, five pools, two lazy rivers, nine hot tubes and beach access! Lest I forget there is plenty of parking under the units and multi-level parking garages near each tower. When I came back with the car I never lacked a space under the villa we stayed in or somewhere close by. We had a one bedroom unit in Villa 1. It certainly appears that all units have at least an ocean view. The unit had a comfortable king bed, double sized sleeper sofa, dining table for four, full kitchen and a washer dryer. The unit A/C worked well! In the North Tower there is a restaurant, breakfast and lunch, but we did not use it. There is also an ice cream shop which we did take advantage of. The South tower has a small convenience store should you need snacks, soda, milk, asprin, etc. Access to Highway 17 and all Myrtle Beach has to offer is up the road a few blocks. This resort is dual purpose. About 60% of the units are privately owned while the remaining are timeshare units.

1 Thank divearnd
LaGrangeville, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

The resort is very nice unfortunatley they have a deal with the county to allow then to set up a virtual wall of rental chairs and umbrellas across the entire beach. They set up rigth at the high water line and you aren't permitted to set up in front of them. This means that residents, unless they want to pay an exhorbitent rental fee can't see theie kids at the water due to the wall of chairs and umbrellas. When you explain this to the staff they give a lame excuse that it's the county and they have no control. That is just insulting as they are the only resort where the chairs are present on this strech of beach so obviously they are more interested in getting their share of the rentals than ensuring their guests can make the most of the beach during their stay. There are MANY more places just as nice to stay that don't have this ridiculous condition at the beach. Spend your money someplace that is actually interested in providing beach front that can be used by their guests.
Also, beware the push to get you to sit through a sales pitch.

Room Tip: If you don't mid hiking down to another section of beach the rooms in the towers have good ocean...
Green Features: More talk than actual practice. Providing a couple of packages of environmentally grown coffee isn't really a "practice".
      Rooms
Sea Watch Resort
#34 of 207 in Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,628 reviews
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Westwinds
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Westwin...
#5 of 39 in North Myrtle Beach
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers on the Grove
Wyndham Vacation Resorts Towers ...
#4 of 39 in North Myrtle Beach

Been to Wyndham SeaWatch Plantation? Share your experiences!