“Great Place Will Be Back!!”
Review of Vancouver Motel

Vancouver Motel
Ranked #39 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Columbus, Ohio
“Great Place Will Be Back!!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I were there in June 2014. Perfect place if you just want to relax at the beach. Rooms are very clean. The staff there is great. "Mahoney" is the best. The people that work at the front desk will help you find anything that you need. I would recommend this Motel to anyone and will definitely be back! One recommendation take your own coffeemaker if you don't get a kitchenette.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Deb P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I will admit, we were first hesitant upon booking our stay here, as it can be so difficult to tell ahead of time what a place will be like. We shouldn't have been worried!

First, the Vancouver is right on the beach. If you're looking to be near the ocean, this is the place to go. Even if you don't have an oceanfront room- we didn't- it takes about thirty seconds to leave your room and get to sand. Perfect! And even our poolside room had a view of the ocean!

If you're looking for luxury, then go ahead and book a high-priced room elsewhere. The Vancouver doesn't pretend to offer things like hot tubs or chocolates on the pillow. What they do offer are clean, comfortable rooms right on the beach at an affordable price, and we feel they absolutely delivered on that. Cleanliness is very important to us, and I couldn't find anything to complain about here. Our rooms were very clean and housekeeping did a very thorough job each day. We were even poolside, and once the sun went down there was no noise from the pool area! The walls are a bit thin, but that wasn't ever a problem except once at about nine in the morning, so it didn't really bother us.

The staff were very friendly and even allowed us to check in early. We stopped by to ask if we could park, as we'd gotten into town several hours early. We planned to go to the beach to kill time until check-in. To our surprise, they let us check in then and made sure to get us settled, gave directions to nearby stores, and thoroughly explained everything! It is very much a "Mom & Pop" feel, very local and welcoming. All the staff greet you when they see you, and will always answer any questions you have about the area.

We had a room with a kitchenette, which was very nice, and I would recommend that, due to the full-size fridge and microwave. There is even a grill outside you can use!

If you're looking to avoid the astronomical prices of other oceanfront hotels, you simply cannot beat the Vancouver.

Room Tip: A room with a kitchenette gives a little more space to work with and offers some amenities that migh...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank susiq1492
Point pleasant wv
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This place helped us out after we had a bad experience with our first hotel. The staff went out of their way to help us. The place was very clean and it was right on the beach. It has everything here and more. If you want a ocean view and a pleasant stay then I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Chris O
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My family and I stayed this past weekend. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was very clean and the beds were pretty comfy. It was definitely worth the money and we will be staying again!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Amy P
Danville, Virginia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I've stayed here every year since I discovered this little family motel in 2009. It's at the quiet end of the beach. Oceanfront and the rooms are very clean. They've been working on the rooms each year and they are really comfortable. I love the tile floors. I bring my two dogs and everyone usually brings their pets so the tile floors don't cause my allergies to flare up like carpet does. The staff is very helpful and will even help you with your luggage. Great showers with all the hot water you need. I hope they stay around for a long time. They are finally getting rid of the trashy places next door and there are plans to build a restaurant there. If you want fancy, this isn't the place for you. But if you want clean and friendly and affordable, the Vancouver can't be beat. My only complaint is the parking closest to tne ocean. If the motel is full, you could easily be blocked in.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Piglet601
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a small two story motel, right on the beach. It is not fancy, but it is clean and the cleaning staff take good care of the rooms. The beds were comfortable. They have own parking right near the hotel and a good sized outdoor pool. You are steps from access to public beach. The crowd (at least when I went) was middle aged to older adults, mostly traveling with dogs. At night many sit out side their rooms and were playing cards, or having a quiet drink and sitting with the pups. The staff was very friendly. The room was bare bones, I liked the colors in our bathroom it was very beachy, and we had a stove and a fridge and all rooms have tiled floors. Although it could use a little updating - it reminded me of a vintage 50's sort of place and clean is more important to me than anything else and the price was more than reasonable. Its a gem of a place.

Room Tip: If you stay on a second floor you can see the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CampingismyZen
central Ohio
Reviewed 23 April 2014

My daughter I spent two nights here and it was great. It's amazing that you can still get a beachfront room with a private balcony and kitchenette for $65 a night. The motel is old but charming. The clerk (possibly Mark?) greeted us enthusiastically when we arrived and made sure we would enjoy our stay. Almost everything in the room (314) worked well and we slept comfortably.

It's a pet friendly motel but we didn't notice any unruly animals or any pet odors in the room. The oceanfront rooms are absolutely worth the $15/night premium. The windows don't open, so since we were on the third floor we left the door to the balcony open and fell asleep to the sounds of the waves on the beach. Someone set off fireworks for about 10 minutes one evening but that was the only other noise we heard. The beach was safe (regular patrols after sunset) and uncrowded.

The only minor problems we experienced were with the shower, which leaked onto the floor even with the curtain pulled inside the tub. Also, the shower head is old and needs cleaned since deposits make the water spray out (or not) unpredictably. And beware that the water temperature changes quickly without warning.

Here's why it was much better than I expected. While planning our trip we noticed some reviews here or elsewhere that mentioned problems coming from the property next door. I checked Google Streetview and saw what looked like a dumpy rent-by-the-hour no-tell motel just south of the Vancouver. When I made the reservation I expressed concern, and Mark told me that the dodgy motel had recently been torn down, and that the only trouble we might get from that property would be possibly hearing some equipment hauling debris away. When we got there we were relieved to see that he was correct, and the building was no more. Actually all three former motels just to the south were in various states of demolition, and whoever had been frequenting them had disappeared. We never heard any noise, but admittedly were not at the motel during the day.

We're still amazed that we could have such a great stay in Myrtle Beach for less than half what the other hotels were charging. Everything we wanted to do was a short drive away, and since we didn't take the trip just to sit in a motel all day, we were very satisfied. Looking forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: 3rd or 2nd floor oceanfront
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family