“Close to Perfect!”

Ranked #35 of 208 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Surfside Beach, South Carolina
“Close to Perfect!”
Reviewed 16 October 2009

My husband and I brought my mother-in-law to Myrtle Beach to show her why we love it there so much. We'd booked a condo in Surfside that I'd found on Craig's List but it was a horrible place so we left and looked for something better. Bayview was one of the other places I'd considered and I should have just book Bayview in the first place - it was AWESOME!!!

First, the wonderful person at the front desk, Essie, was very sympathetic about our situation and offered to let us go look at the room before we made our decision to stay there. She also offered us an upgrade, which was greatly appreciated!

Our 4th floor 2 bedroom suite was beyond beautiful! The view was breathtaking and the entire suite was spotless clean. My mother-in-law was so impressed that she immediately called family back home to brag about the room and view. Granite countertops (and lots of them), travertine tile floors, huge bathrooms, and again , the views were amazing!

We didn't use the pool or lazy river, only the hot tub, which was convenient. I've read that people complain that the amenities are small and not many of them like the other large resorts but I liked it because there weren't alot of noisy little kids running all over the place.

There's no restaurant in the hotel but we know where all the good places are in the area. There is a nice oceanfront bar/restaurant next door, Sharkeys, and we had a great dinner there one evening - wings for 15 cents, shrimp for 40 cents and ocean front views. It was a really nice time.

Some people complained about the parking garage being "so far away" but it's really only a short block and no big deal.

Others on here complain about the hotel being in an old part of the beach - yes, there are some older (even closed) hotels around but it didn't affect our stay what-so-ever. And I hate seeing all the old hotels from our past disappearing.

If I had to tell you the only negative thing about the hotel, it would have to be the elevators... they are very slow when the hotel was more occupied on the weekend. I did let them know this and I received an email yesterday telling me they're currently working on that situation and improving the elevator service.

The price at BayView is some of the best rates for an oceanfront room in Myrtle Beach, especially for off season. I would highly recommend BayView to anyone looking for a really nice room/suite with amazing views!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mari&Terry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (606)
High Point NC
Reviewed 11 October 2009

I can't say enough good things about the Bay View...staff was friendly...housekeeping (Kathy) did a great job and very helpful. The room was spectacular. Everything was exactly as described. We have been making an annual trip for "girls weekend" and stay in a different place each time because we hadn't found THE ONE. The Bay View is it. We will be returning again. The parking garage is a block away but felt safe and secure. There is no outdoor pool...not a big problem for us. The elevators were too few and a little slow but no different than any other hotel on the Grand Strand.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Atlanta
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband had a seminar in Myrtle Beach and we decided to bring the entire family (2 month old baby and 3 year old). My requirements (since I would be alone with the kids most of the trip) included a kitchen, seperate bedroom and easy access to the beach. This "resort" does have all three so it served it's purpose but I wasn't very impressed with the hotel overall. The pros about the hotel were - beach access was great, just a few steps aways from the hotel. The room did have a seperate bedroom and a kitchen. The living room/eating area was perfect in that it was big which allowed my 3 year old to move around without getting under my feet the entire time. We also had a balcony that overlooked the beach which was nice. It was; however, right over the area next to the pool so people could see you sitting out on your deck - no privacy at all. Cons about the hotel - I was not at all impressed with the "pool" area. It was indoors and the deck chairs are right outside basically looking into the pool area. It didn't feel like a resort pool at all. (A pro about having the pool area indoors is you don't have to worry about getting sun burnt if you are in the pool.) We were on the second floor and took the stairs as often as possible (which wasn't always easy since we had a stroller for my 2 month old) because the elevators were terrible. The morning we checked out, we had to wait over 20 minutes for an elevator. There are absolutely no frills in the rooms. While there is a kitchen, there were no towels for the kitchen - cloth or paper, or soap for that matter. The resort was cheap so I guess you get what you pay for. Parking was not right next to the resort, you had to go a block or two to the parking garage and then cross a very busy street (without a cross walk in sight) to get back to the resort. Maybe not a big deal if you are alone, but difficult with an infant and 3 year old. No close (decent) resaurants or even fast food. We had to walk several blocks to get to a place that served food and even then it was like eating carnival food.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
sc
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The Bay View Resort was a beautiful and clean hotel. The staff was very friendly. Amber at the front desk and Tracy the bell man were friendly and very helpful during my family's viist there. The hotel was kid friendly and very welcoming. My family thoroughly enjoyed the cleaniness of the rooms and the staff who were very professional and friendly. Way to go Bay View Resort Myrtle Beach, SC! We will return soon.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
maryland
Reviewed 26 September 2009

the elevators do brake down alot but they have 3 running and they fix the problems as soon as u tell them custmer sevrice was great help helped me with any thing i needed i could go on but i won't i can;t wait until next yr

• Stayed September 2009
birmingham,AL
Reviewed 25 September 2009

Tthe recetpionists and workers ar pleasant and helpful . The rooms are cleaned more than we expected . We can find everything we need : restaurants , entertainments , fishing ,shoping ,just few miles away .
We will return to Bay View for sure next year .

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Don't listen to those who say "stay away"! I have been to a lot of hotels in Myrtle Beach and this one is FABULOUS...especially for the price.

THE PARKING GARAGE IS NOT TWO BLOCKS AWAY OR A MILE AWAY as previous reviewers have stated. It is literally across the street behind some older hotels. We didn't have a problem with people propping the doors open. They were always securely locked.

Check-in was very quick. You just have to prepare to possibly wait for the key to activate for your room. It took a few minutes to be able to open our door - no big deal! The staff was also very friendly!

I understand why people who stayed in July or August would complain about the elevators, but you have to realize....the hotel is 19 stories high and hundreds of people are staying at the same time! The elevators themselves were quite fast. It's just the people getting on/off that make them slow. Most of the time we got in and went up to our floor without having to stop.

The room was beautiful. We had a 1 bedroom oceanfront condo. It was clean, spaceous and very nicely decorated. It had a washer and dryer, which made it great to not have to come home with dirty laundry! Tiled floors, granite countertops, modern cabinets, pretty colors and nice living room/dining room area. It was a place where I didn't feel gross if I took my shoes off. I could actually relax!

Some people complain about the weirdest things...The balconies were very nice and who cares if there are no screens on the balcony doors!?! Most hotels/condos don't have screens. We were on the 18th floor and it was GORGEOUS! The views were amazing!

The pool area is not outside. It is inside but they leave the huge glass doors open, so there is plenty of sunlight and air circulating. It is not dark like another reviewer said. It's actually really nice being able to swim in there at night too! The pool is quite small and is only about 3 or 4 feet deep. There is a baby pool and a small lazy river. There's also a cute children's water area outside. If you have small kids, they probably would LOVE this! And you wouldn't have to apply sunscreen all day! It would be nice if they would invest in a large outdoor pool in the future. I'm sure they have thought about it and hopefully will consider it!

Also...IT IS NOT IN THE GHETTO as other reviewers have said. They obviously have never been to Myrtle Beach before. It is in front of 2 older hotels. The beach shops and boardwalk are just about 2 blocks from the hotel and some of it looks run down. Well, if you have been to Myrtle before, you understand what it looks like. They are actually re-doing the boardwalk this fall and a brand new, beautiful one is supposed to be ready in 2010.

Anyway...I think you get the point! We had a great vacation and a very relaxing one. We are planning on going back to the Bay View next year for a 2 week vacation in September. We have looked at other places and for the money and the amenities, you can't beat it! I think if you try it, you will love it! The only complaint I have are that the beds are not that comfortable. Small complaint for a great experience overall.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple