“Wonderful” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #35 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Wharton, West Virginia
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

We stayed at the Bay View Resort the week of July 3-10.. This resort is awesome. Hotel was very clean, and in a great location. We were in a room that was a 1 bedroom oceanview. Our room had 2 balconies, one facing the strip and one oceanview. We really enjoyed looking out at the ocean during the day, and sitting looking at the strip & firework in the evening. Great place for anyone with teenagers, walk to all the shops, the slingshot, family kingdom, resturants, and the teen club Karma. Grounds were very well kept, and staff was always helpful and very friendly. The new boardwalk between the beach and hotels was a wonderful addition the city of Myrtle beach added. Even though the parking was a block away, it was better than most. Hotel has a locked parking garage, you must use your room key to get into, and they will cart you to get your car.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (594)
Matewan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2010

First of all the loading and unloading zone is way 2 small and u have 2 sit on the main road forever waiting to get in. When you finally are able 2 load/unload your stuff, your rushed by all the other people trying to get in.The parking garage is a block across the street. It's a pretty long walk 2 get 2 your vehicle. There isn't any crosswalk, so you have 2 walk across a very busy street. Not very safe. The elevators are extremely slow. You wait forever on an elevator, and when u finally get on one it stops on almost every floor and there's nobody to get on. It's faster to walk down the stairs than it is 2 wait on an elevator. They need to get the elevator situation fixed. It's usually employees that tie up the elevators. It usually takes a couple elevators stopping to get you, before your able 2 fit on one. The high speed internet was a joke, it barely worked. Last, I had something very valuable to get taken from my room. I filed a complaint and a police report. The hotel is acting like there is nothing they can do about it. I had declined room service all week and even the day it was taken i declined them, but yet video surveillance proves room service was in there. Every time i call the hotel to talk 2 the manager about it, i'm either put on hold and "forgot" about or if i leave a message my call is never returned. I don't see how they aren't responsible for something like this? The room was a very nice spacious room, and i would have liked 2 stay again, but the nice room doesn't make up for the negative things.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
CEDAR BLUFF
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

We spent 7 nights in this resort during the 4th of July. We loved the spacious 2 bedroom condo and the location was awesome. The balcony overlooked the lovely boardwalk with beautiful palm trees and landscaping. We were able to walk from to 2nd avenue peer or up to the strip with small children on the boardwalk with no exertion at all. The greatest part about the resort is the location on the boardwalk. Walking on the boardwalk and pushing a stroller with a baby is great. So much better than walking on the street or the beach at night and much cooler with the ocean breezing and the lighting is wonderful.
The location can also be a negative, because it is located in the older part of town around many other 'run down' locations which you have to walk past to get to the parking garage across the street. The parking garage was great and convenient and an easy walk from the motel, but at night we did see several arrests right on the street across from the resort and did feel a little uneasy with the questionable characters who hung out on the street late at night. I needed to walk to the parking garage to get something out of our vehicle one night, but my husband refused to let me go alone.
The greatest complaint concerning this resort is the horrific problem with the elevators. This 19 floor resort has 3 very small and very slow elevators. I had read many reviews concerning the problem with the elevators and thought how bad could it actually be. Well let me tell you it is REALLY bad. All 3 elevators were working during our entire stay, but they were just not able to keep up. I mean we actually saw people yelling at each other and fighting to get on the elevators, especially during peak loading or unloading times. The problem with the elevators combined with the very small loading/unloading area in the front of the resort leads to huge guest frustration. We arrived at the resort before 12 noon on Saturday and were allowed to check in and park our vehicle in the parking garage and go on to the pool/beach, which we expected due to arriving so early. They called us a little before 3 to let us know that our room was ready. We then encountered our first huge problem. We were forced to sit on the road trying to get in to the unloading area for the next 1 1/2 hours. There was a staff person out front standing who I thought was supposed to be directing everyone to pull all the way around to allow others to pull in behind them, but he was just standing there. I finally got out and asked a lady to pull forward so that we could pull in off the street and she got very angry and told us it was closer for her to sit where she was and refused to move forward. I then asked the employee if he could help and he asked the lady to pull forward which she did. He then told me that this was his assigned job for the day, but he had given up the battle that the situation was so bad and people were getting to angry so he wasn't even going to try anymore. We witnessed several people argue during our 2 hour unloading experience. We finally go everything loaded onto a luggage cart and into the resort to then encounter the elevator line. People were pushing and shoving and yelling to get on an elevator. Not a good first day of our vacation.
Our room was on the 4th floor of the resort so we used the stairs most of the time, which wasn't always easy with a 3 and 5 year old, but much easier than waiting on the elevator. We were able to eat more on our vacation from using the stairs carrying 2 small children. So no weight gain. Yeah!!
We then decided we were going to be very smart and load everything up late Friday night and leave out at 4am on Saturday morning to avoid the mayhem of the loading process. At about 9pm my husband went down to the lobby to get a luggage carrier and there were none to be found. We searched for the next 2 hours and found no carriers. We were informed by the front desk that they had a limited amount and the guests had them in their rooms for the next morning. We did get a very nice bellman named Delmer to help carry all our luggage and supplies down. We made 3 trips to carry all of our supplies, but I have to say that was better than the fight when we came in. We finished loading after midnight (over 3 hours) and left the resort at 4am.
I loved this resort in many ways. It was very clean. The staff was very courteous and helpful. The condo was spacious and had an absolutely beautiful view. The location, eventhough questionable late at night, was very convenient to the strip and we were able to walk to area restaurants when traffic was too heavy to drive. Even with all these positive, I will not be staying at this resort again due to the horrible problems with the elevators and loading/unloading problems.
Ohh I did forget they did advertise free WiFi in the room. It was very slow and sporatic availability. I was able to get online maybe 3 times during the entire week. I called the front desk and they did not offer a solution.

watertown, ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

My husband and I came for our honeymoon. There was no Kings available so we had a double room view of the ocean. The room was really small but the bathroom was decent size. We had a hard time getting the housekeeping staff to clean our room and take our trash. The elevator does take a long time. I loved the indoor pools. It was crowded though. It needs to be bigger. The lazy river you can't relax in with kids playing around in it. Other than that, I would deffinately come back again. I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Yadkinville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

Everthing went good check in and check out no problem
The ladies at the desk was very helpfull
we went to our car one morning and our car would not crank ,we just open the hood of the car here comes Robert that works their he was out of his car and got the jumper cables out and had us going in no time THANK YOU ROBERT a great guy.
Thanks to the house keepers they work very hard the rooms was very clean this was 2nd stay here.
The only thing is the unloading/loading there is help if needed it, they need a larger area to unload/load if they could use the side lot would be better but that won't keep me from coming back .
You can buy attraction tickets at desk that will little money.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
Greenwood, South Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2010

We have been at the Bay View Resort this week in Myrtle Beach, SC. We checked in on monday and as soon as we walked into the room we stepped into a huge pool of water in the floor. It was coming from the ceiling in the bathroom through an air vent. We called the front desk and were told they would send someone right up. After 1 hr. and no one coming we called again and they sent up a maintenence man. He looked at the water and the leak and said he would be back and would send someone to clean up the water. After 1 hr., water still pouring from the vent ,and no one yet arriving to clean it up, we called the front desk again. We were told someone was on the way up. No one came. After another hour I went to the front desk and was told all the maintence and housekeeping personel were gone for the night. A security guard named Delmar came up and was great. He found a trash can to catch the water flow and brought towels to clean up the mess. We were told that it would be 7:00am before someone would be up to fix the leak and clean up properly. At 10am the next morning no one had yet arrived. I went to the front desk and spoke with the manager Chris who was very apologetic and had someone right up to the room to fix the problem which turned out being a toilet leak in the room above our room. After this terrible start the week went well. After discussing staying one extra night we checked to see what the rate would be. We were told we would be charged the same rate as orginally offered through AAA. After discussing it with my wife I called back and booked one more night and I was informed it would be almost 3 times the cost just previously given. After 30 mins of speaking to supervisors we finally got the rate originally agreed to through AAA. This is just some of the mess we had to deal with while here. Some people had to wait as long a 1hr for an elevator on friday because one of the three elevator units in this 19 story buildings was stuck on one of the floors. I can not recommend this "resort" to anyone.

Wadesboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2010

I had a good time at Bay Veiw . But the check in was not so good , had to wait a long time due to short of help , well at least i was told thats why our room wasn't ready . The space was great .

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple