Bay View on the Boardwalk
Ranked #37 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 9 August 2010

There was 21 of us. All rooms were in excellent condition and ready. The kids enjoyed it from the moment we walk in till we left. The front desk staff was very knowledgeable about entertainment around the area and things needed in our rooms. The staff for the pools and lazy river were very attentive. The cleaning staff did an excellent job on keeping towels and trash emptied. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Only thing that needs to be improved in the hotel is the speed adjustments of the elevators or another needs to be added. This will be our family vacation spot for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,278)

Reviewed 8 August 2010

To begin with, this place makes you test your frustration level. The elevator system alone right from the start was not designed correctly. Picture a 14 hour drive following a 1 hour elevator fiasco when everyone else is trying to check in at the same time. This was NOT A FLUKE. It continued this way throughout the trip...waiting for the elevator. I cannot tell you how many times I had to reluctantly climb 18 flights of stairs because I couldn't get an elevator or fit on one filled with sweaty families and their luggage carts. Also, there was a bunch of jerks who started blowing fireworks off the deck at 3am one morning, resulting in a firedrill that evacuated everyone. I really felt bad for the older people and the small children who were ripped from their beds because of a bunch of drunk losers. I would never bring my children here simply because of the block over, which was ridden with crack houses and cheap hourly rate motels. The ONE saving grace was the view and beautiful ocean view. They did have a newly built boardwalk that lead to the boardwalk with all the cheesy shops and mediocre restaurants that served mostly fried food. One place I would recommend if you were forced here at gunpoint would be the place called Dirty Don's in which you could buy $1.00 Landsharks and .35 cent oysters. That was the best part of my stay...pretty sad, huh? Oh, and the lazy river looks great in pics, but really, it is just an overly chlorinated muggy area for children. As an adult, I wouldn't step foot in that thing. Oh, and the beds are so hard and maybe had scabies. Myrtle Beach is for white trash and low class people who are willing to throw away whatever money they saved. Also, the fitness center is very weak and the machines are outdated and rusty.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
6  Thank Amaris23
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Beautiful large condo with an ocean view balcony and streetside balcony. Granite counter tops. Clean. Courteous staff. Gorgeous boardwalk right in front of Bay View. Building is only 3 years old so don't believe the bad reviews about Bay View - we are in our 50's and 60's and we LOVED Bay View! Parking garage secured by room card key. 2nd Ave Pier Restaurant, Sharkey's Restaurant a block away. Starbucks on the premises. We will definitely be going back. Only thing is they could have the elevators working.... but do NOT consider the bad reviews. it's not as bad as they complain about - they need to go to the Waldorf Astoria if they want luxury. This is beautiful, comfortable and they are being ridiculous when they say it's a dump - NO WAY is it a dump!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2010

I had read a lot of bad reviews and was quite leary upon arrival. To my surprise the place was nice. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo on the fifth floor (5409). It was very clean and up to date. Great view of the beach. The elevators were a little slow. My maximum wait was around five minutes. The parking garage is a block away and at certain times the traffic was heavy. They do offer a shuttle over. Most people just eased into the street and the traffic would slow. That happens all up and down that street. Don't let the bad reviews scare you.

1  Thank deergregw
Reviewed 2 August 2010

This hotel is economy all the way. If you are use to quality, this is not it. We stayed the July30 - Aug2 and were digusted. The beds are close to the floor , no plushness(motel6 style. Beds were old fashion very cheap made us itch. The condos are indiviually owned so forget a refund once you are there. The pool area was nice but the elevators were extremely slow with no air condition. I would not stay here again. We stayed out late doing family stuff so we wouldnt spend time in this cheap room. The sofa was stained,bathroom floortile hadnt been mopped in a while. I dont know why they even name this dump a resort.If you like Motel 6 , you will love this place.I read the reviews and gave it a chance,bad decision.

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Try this resort, you will enjoy your stay. i highly reconmmend this place.
nice and clean. elevator a little slow, but well worth it. don't have anything
negetive to say. that's my place to stay for now on at myrtle beach.
beleive me i am a very pickie person.

Reviewed 31 July 2010

QUICK & DIRTY:
The hotel had a great location. It was near a lot of restaurants with several putt-putt places(driving distance, not so much walking distance). Most of these places where on North Kings Hwy which runs parallel to the main street that the hotel is on.

My 9 month old daughter LOVED the little 1 foot deep kiddie pool (the hotel also has a small lazy river, a hot tub, a small pool (4 ft deep).

Negatives: Slightly cramped room, only 3 elevators for 19 floors, and parking is a block from the hotel (challenging for carrying infants, small children, and for the handicapped).

I'd consider staying there again if we stayed in a room within the first 6 or 7 floors, and when my daughter is old enough to walk/run (for when we have to cross the major street to get back and forth to the parking garage).

OUR ARRIVAL:
We were fortunate enough to squeeze in the small load/unload zone in front of the hotel which had a lot of traffic around 5pm.

TIP: Don't check in exactly at their check-in time. It WILL be a frustrating experience and a bad way to start off your trip. Plan to leave to that you arrive a couple hours AFTER check-in. This also ensures that your room is ready ( I read other reviews where travelers could not check-in early).

It's best to stay away from the hotel lobby during 3pm - 4:30pm or so (peak check-in time) and don't even think about trying to use an elevator during this time (long, long line of luggage carts with frustrated people waiting to get on the elevator).

CHECK-IN:
At check-in there was an additional fee that Priceline customers had to pay. It was around $24 (something to do with hotel amenities or whatever).

TIP: Call in advance and see if there will be any additional fees (if you used an only service such as Priceline, Expedia, etc.).

Also, ask for a room within the first 7 floors, if you opt for using the stairs instead of crowded slow-mo elevators.

OUR ROOM:
Our room (#1409) was clean but a little small in size. We had two double beds. The kitchenette (mini-sink, mini-fridge, microwave, and cabinets) was nice for washing dishes and storing baby food (my wife and I had our 9 month old daughter). This hotel does not have enough elevators (only three for 19 floors)! The ocean view was not a full-fledged ocean view, but I kind of liked seeing both the ocean and the city.

Also, parking was a block away from the hotel. We had to cross the main 2-lane street in front of the hotel. Depending on what time of day it is, this is a tough feat when dealing with infants and small children, (handi-capped individuals too I'd imagine) because there is a steady stream of traffic from noon on up til late.

TIP: There is a City-owned pay lot directly beside the hotel. Parking is free after 7pm or 8PM and before 10AM ( I can't remember). This was great for our last night (we checked out early around 9AM.

2  Thank Emanuel1981