“Quite a Pleasant Surprise”
Review of Paradise Resort

Paradise Resort
Ranked #22 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I read up on all different hotels for our recent stay (first trip ever) to Myrtle Beach. We wanted oceanfront, not too expensive, clean, and quiet. The Paradise Resort delivered. We arrived on a rainy Saturday - with one other person in front of us in line to check in at 4pm. Not too bad of a wait. Staff was cordial. They take $100 (cash or credit) to hold as a 'deposit'. I haven't had this happen since I was a teen in Daytona years ago! They hustle you over to the 'concierge' who is really a timeshare person. But the sell wasn't too extreme - I politely declined and was still given info on all the nearest/best restaurants to visit. I had noted we were celebrating a birthday so they allowed us a half an hour later checkout (11:30) which really did help even if it was just a half an hour. We were also given a room on the top floor - designated as 'penthouse' or PH in the elevator. The elevators were very slow with one off line being fixed by the way. The room itself was better than expected. We had a full bedroom with two beds, a washer/dryer, a small kitchen, a dining table for four, a full murphy bed, and a pull our sofa. Two flat screens (bedroom & living room) made the room complete. The balcony had two chairs and a table but more importantly - an absolutely gorgeous view! The hotel has a parking garage that is pretty tight. After checking in, we actually moved to the parking lot across the street (also property of the Paradise Resort so don't worry about getting towed or something). The hotel is right on the beach. Didn't go to the restaurants in the hotel but did use the pools. The lazy river is a small little spot to float in a circle - the kids liked it but I don't think adults would. We're used to the lazy river at Disney so this was VERY small (but still the size of the touted lazy river at Great Wolf Lodge in Wililamsburg - uggh that place is bad). They have a small pool with water 3-5 feet with a basketball net. Since I had forgotten sunscreen at one point, this was good for the kids to swim in as it is outdoors but under the garage I would guess so it has a 'cover'. There is a bigger lap pool before heading out to the sand and plenty of chairs. Chairs on the beach involve costs ($30 a day!!) and reservations (I don't think they are affiliated with that particular resort - I think they are a separate company renting chairs). The concierge did point us in the right direction for dinner - we found the BEST place to go in Myrtle Beach - an area called Broadway at the Beach which has every restaurant you could imagine (Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock, Kiss Coffeehouse, Margarittaville, Captain George's, a Japanese Steakhouse, an Irish pub, the Key West Grill, etc.). This is a great shopping place, too! The rooms were very clean. There's a full size fridge/freezer. Sink, dishwasher, full size stove, microwave. The bathtub is huge and the bathroom good sized. One weird thing was that the bedroom had a window...the window looked right into the hallway. Odd. I know that's possible in all hotels and especially motels - but it just seemed a little strange. BUT - all in all - it was a great visit and the hotel delivered on every need ... its clean, its oceanfront, its not as expensive as it could be, I never heard another guest even though the hotel was packed, and there is plenty of room in the room!

Room Tip: Ask for the Penthouse Floor - oceanfront - for a great view!
5  Thank Lori F
Paradisegm, General Manager at Paradise Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Thank you for allowing Paradise Resort to make your vacation a memorable one! The staff and management at Paradise look forward to having you as a guest in the future! Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to make a future stay more enjoyable.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

The rooms are large, the suites are quite large. Unfortunately this one was explained to us as "upscale and luxury"....can't say I'd agree.

We were shown two rooms, the second was far nicer but still a far cry from luxury. Both were three bedroom suites as they overbooked the 2 bedroom units. There is a small window that looks from one of the bedrooms into the internal hallway. There is also a door in the suite that leads to another room to allow the 3 bedroom to turn into a 4 bedroom - this room can be rented out seperately. These features made several people in my party uncomfortable .....as did the mattresses (very firm). The carpet in the first unit needed alot of tlc and had been improperly laid in a few areas. Management did what they could to try and live up to the expectations we had... but even the nicer unit still fell short of what we were looking for.

The attached parking garage is nice.... but very tight at times. The staff was great and remained friendly and professional even when we made our intentions clear that we were moving our accomodations to another nearby hotel.

Recommendation? When you book with a hotel, any hotel - don't take a reservation desks opinion. Speak to someone on site at the hotel property. Ask questions and state very clearly what you are looking for.

1  Thank Angie K
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Checking in: The check in parking was not clearly labeled and there were only a couple of spots. But luckily there were a few empty spots on the first floor to park in. Check in was nice and easy and the staff was very friendly and helpful when we were asking questions about the area.

The Room: Nice and large and perfect for sleeping the 6 of us. Kitchen came with plates, glasses, and utensils as well as some basic cookware. Bathroom was well stocked, minus we had to call down and get someone to bring us a shower curtain. We also had to call and get some extra pillows and blankets and towels. Our biggest complaint was that when you make a reservation for 6, the room should be stocked for 6. The view was perfect! Right over the beach and offered for some great sunrise shots!

The Resort: Overall we really enjoyed all the perks to the resort. The lazy river and the hot tub were nice for relaxing, although the lazy river did get a little too crowded with kids that were more worried about racing each other than relaxing. There was ample lounge chairs, but not enough tables. The bar on the sundeck made some great drinks! I also really liked the showers and hoses right when you came off the beach so there wasnt a lot of stray sand in the pool area. The beach was a bit thin, but we still had room to spread out no problem!

Parking: this was our only real complaint. The parking garage is very small and very narrow. The large concrete support beams have fire extinguisher boxes on the sides you park on and resulted in a very good scrap on our van when trying to navigate into a parking spot. There are however two parking lots across the street, but neither are very well marked.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here and would recommend the resort for others!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JordiDunn

Thank you for your recent stay at Paradise Resort. I am glad to hear that the hotel made a perfect girls weekend. Your comments are very important as they help us identify both positives and negatives. We have installed new signs to identify the two parking lots across the street. Once again, thank you for choosing Paradise and I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

After booking my reservation, I read more reviews on Paradise Hotel, in which I found two that claimed there was a bedbug infestatuoion. I freaked. I called the hotel ahead of time, The manager called me back and assured me that there would be no such issues, There weren't. The room was nice and clean. Great balcony with beautiful ocean view. Slept well (and I am a picky sleeper). We had a wonderful time.
I have three complaints (minor). One) the breakfast buffet. I thought it was marginal for the money. Two) the kids running around, unsupervised, made it difficult for our 6 year old to play in the lazy river and the pool safely. I understand this is a sensitive issue to sddress, but the staff just simply watched as the rowdy children jumped over (and almost on) my child. This made us get out of the pool, which really is not fair to our child, but you have to do what is necessary so your child doesn't get hurt. I though the managemant might need to tighten up on the adults that simply let their 8-12 year olds run around, creating dangerous situations. Three) the elevator took forever. We chose to take the stairs, as we were on the second floor, but if we had been higher up, it would have really been a nusiance.
Make sure you request a lower floor, don't buy into the breakfast buffet, and watch your children or get ready for a confrentation with an angry parent that chooses to allow their children to be a liability for the rest of us.

2  Thank Ellen R
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I was worried after reading some of the reviews of hotels in Myrtle Beach, but we were glad to find that our room was VERY CLEAN, all of the staff we came in contact with were very friendly and helpful. Our daughter had a wonderful time in the pool and lazy river, and we loved being steps away from the beach. The pool and pool area were cleaned every morning and housekeeping did a wonderful job, we were on the fourth floor. The parking garage is tight but were had no trouble parking our Dodge Nitro. We would recommend and stay again at the Paradise Resort.

2  Thank Sean R

Thank you for choosing Paradise Resort for your vacation. I am very happy to see that your daughter had a great time and that you will recommend Paradise. Thank you again for your comments and I hope to see you during a future stay at Paradise!

Reviewed 19 August 2012

I just got back from a girls getaway weekend, and was not very pleased with this hotel, the service and the amenties. The beds were very uncomfortable, and the pillows were flat. We had to go down to the service desk several time due to our key card not working correctly. Then housekeeping, what bad attitude did we have....OMG, really, not friendly at all. We found some sort of tube in a bed, also sand and hair was found in another bed. The bad thing about was the maid just made the beds, ok did you not see the tube in the bed as you were making it up. OMG, then hand bed sheets to a guest to make the bed, WOW......Well this was my first and last time staying at this hotel. I usually stay in North Myrtle beach, but I know that the next time I stay in South Myrtle beach....we will be staying at Compass Cove.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank dwan69
Paradisegm, General Manager at Paradise Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2012

Thank you very much for your recent stay. I am very sorry for each of the inconveniences that you encountered and would like the opportunity to speak with you further regarding your stay. I would certainly like to extend an invitation for you to stay with us again so that we can show that your experience is not typical at Paradise.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

This place is great! I could go on and on. We stayed in a two bedroom condo. (There are several types of accomadations to choice from to suite your need and price range) The room was beautiful and spotless when we arrived. Ocean front view from the balcony was spectactular. Beds and pillows were nice and I slept like a baby. Had a little glitch with the safe. Battery was dead. Stopped at the front desk in the morning and talked to Cleveland and it was fixed instantly (and by the way... Cleveland remembered who I was and called me by my name the next day) After reading many reviews before our visit, I was prepaired for the tight parking garage. But my crew cab Silverado got around inside it just fine. I parked on the top deck (access via the 4th floor) where there are few cars and no pillors with little difficulty. The hotel had just updated the internet service while I was there, so it was super fast. We rode up and down the elevators several times a day and never waited a long time or experienced a crowd. We all really enjoyed the pool, lazy river and hot tubs. I wish I had a dime for every time my daughter went around the lazy river. They were never too crowded or dirty as others have complained about. Every day they cleaned the whole area. I felt that my kids were safe at the pool area. I always saw hotel securiy. They have a tiki bar by the pool were you can get snacks and drinks, In step with the rest of the staff, Mike at the tiki bar was very friendly, knew me by name and remembered what I liked to drink all week long. In closing, if Jason Morgan, General Manager is reading this review, you ought to give Cleveland, Janet and Mike a nice raise because they really make your place worth a repeat visit!
Sincerely, Barry