“Great value”
Review of Paradise Resort

Paradise Resort
Ranked #22 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 30 August 2012

This was our first time staying at Paradise. The room was clean, bathroom could have been a little cleaner (hair in tub and on sink), beds were firm but slept ok. Hallways had a musty smell and biggest complaint was the water was not very hot in bathroom. Overall stay was good for price.

• Stayed: August 2012
Paradisegm, General Manager at Paradise Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and comments. I apologize for the issues that you encountered and will certainly check into them to ensure they do not happen again. Once again, thank you for your recent stay and I look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2012

First of all let me preface this review by saying that we booked through Condolux and have NEVER been more disappointed. We stayed in the four bedroom condo on the "penthouse". My immediate reaction was that there are clearly no standards with regard to upkeep at the resort. Walls were dinged up, huge gashes of the countertop were missing, various pots and pans were not available, hair was apparent in the bathrooms and so on. We were not provided with basic amenities, like toilet paper in any of the rest rooms, the proper amount of bath towels, a working vacuum cleaner, etc. As we were all entering our rooms, the fourth bedroom, which is also sometimes rented separately,was not cleaned. The sheets were appalling with surprises in them, the towels on the floor in the bathroom with hair, soap and filth. No one wants to see how the room looks prior to t being cleaned. Upon calling CondoluxFirst, they acted as if it was no big deal and, in no rush, finally had it cleaned by 8 pm. We called with a variety of substantial problems during our one week stay, and are yet to have any response.

As for the actual resort, the on site restaurant is rarely open but for breakfast, the pool water was filthy and murky, the elevators were extremely slow and dangerous. There was an accumulation of water daily that I was fearful of someone slipping on. The beds were literally the most uncomfortable mattresses I have ever slept on. Also, the parking garage is extremely tight, so unless you have a compact car, it s nearly impossible to navigate.

Overall, I recognize CondoluxFirst is mostly at fault for such a hassle-filled trip, but the resort itself does not adequately upkeep the resort to the standards that we had expected. With the plethora of other choices in Myrtle Beach, I certainly would not stay here again, or recommend it to others.

2  Thank IMissMaui211
Paradisegm, General Manager at Paradise Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2012

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with a Condolux unit. When renting directly from Paradise you have the ability to speak with managers and have 24 hour help if needed. We certainly take pride in the property and want to resolve any guest issues on site. Please let me add that the hotel grounds are pressure washed daily and the pool chemicals are checked 3 times per day, In some instances the cloudy water may be from a chemical imbalance but the water is perfectly safe to swim in, it is seldom that we cannot rectify a cloudly water situation within hours. Also, the elevators were brand new with the building and are just about six years old, South Carolina law requires an annual inspection and the elevators at Paradise were just inspected and certified in July. While each elevator is cleaned several times a day to ensure that water does not sit for an extended period of time, the access from the pool is directly connected to the elevator landing.

Thank you again for your comments, we will certainly monitor each area of concern.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Okay, everything at Myrtle Beach during peak season is packed, but this hotel (the term resort is a stretch) does a great job at managing the crowd and still providing good customer service. Very clean ocean front rooms and the complimentary breakfast for 2 of the 4 people in our suite was excellent. It was real food, not just a bagel. The other 2 people had to pay, which was a little lame even though the food was more than worth the price.

But really, I have stayed at several Myrtle Beach "resorts" and this is the first one that I have ever considered returning to. Oh....and the pool and beach bar were nice, which is always an important consideration.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the kind comments. I am happy that Paradise was able to provide a positive experience and that you enjoyed the breakfast, bar and pool area. I hope that Paradise can serve you and your guests again in the future.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

We got there an hour before "guaranteed check in time of 3:00 pm" and they said they would call us when the room was ready. 3:00 comes, no room, and just "I'm sorry. 5 minutes later they say it's ready, we get up there and the room REEKS of smoke. I called down and they said there is no smoking allowed but it is on the balclony and they would send someone up. 1/2 later a guy comes with spray and agrees it is super smoky and he is a smoker himself. My husband called the desk and they asked if we minded going up to the 19th floor. We go up and the room is specifically non smoking which I had asked for when we booked. The room was better but still not what I would think for a 6 year old hotel. The mattress in the Murphy bed was bad-hard and lumpy. The linens were adequate on the beds, some torn areas and marks. The hot water was lukewarm the night we got there- was much hotter the next day and fluctuated the rest of the stay. There was no lint catcher in the dryer and the dryer was loaded with packed down lint- big fire hazard. Housekeeping was adequate-plenty of clean towels. The room door was good at keeping out noise. The slider to the little balcony did not lock, did not even seem to have a lock. Front desk was courteous but not the nicest- overall I think the whole hotel staff is overworked and short staffed.

The pool area was very loud with lots of little ones running around the wet concrete- very little supervision by staff. The beach in this area had lots of rock, lot of people had scrapes and cuts.

The first day I tried to make the best of it- I had booked on reviews alone, but it was definitely not on my list of places to visit again.

2  Thank D T

Please let me apologize that your stay was not as good as you were expecting. I certainly would like the opportunity to have you as our guest again so that we can show you that this is not typical at Paradise Resort. Please contact me directly so that we can discuss your recent experience and options of having you as a guest at Paradise again.

Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

Overall good stay at the resort. Would stay there again. We had a 2 bedroom oceanfront condo. I had everything we needed. It was clean and comfortable. Used the pool a couple times, other then obnoxious kids, it was nice. Never ate at the resort. Parking on the garage was nice but a little tight. Others in my party didn't care for the very firm beds, but I liked it.

• Stayed: August 2012

Thank you for choosing Paradise. I am glad to see that your stay was clean and comfortable. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make a future stay more enjoyable!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My family and I have stayed here three times and we regret not staying here in our last visit to Myrtle Beach, SC. The rooms are clean, spacious, well equipped with kitchenette, washer and drier, small living room, and a beautiful balcony overlooking the ocean. The resort is right there on the ocean with a pool and lazy river. We have only tried the restaurant for breakfast; it has a limited selection but good quality food. The price for breakfast is the standard for any of the resorts in the area. Keep in mind that this is not a luxury resort. However, it is family friendly. Elevators are big and accommodating, especially to families with kids carrying beach items. Free parking in the same resort and free internet.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with Paradise. We certainly appreciate your business and cannot wait to see you on a return trip!

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We stayed a week at the Paradise Resort, and overall it was a very enjoyable place. Some issues surfaced, but some may have been because we didn't book directly through the hotel. We actually used a company called Global, who apparently are a type of middleman for condo rental. Using them caused some problems with the hotel. None were insurmountable, but several were irritating.

Let me cover some generic things first. We had a 1 bedroom, 1 bath and it was nice. Not luxurious, but definitely comfortable, and far above adequate. We had a great oceanfront view from the small balcony, and loved that part. The unit came equipped with a dishwasher and washer/dryer. Those were nice touches. The condo was clean, and in good repair. While it was a one bedroom, it also had a pull out couch and a murphy bed, so more guests could easily be accommodated.

One thing about the outlets. The upper plugin along one wall operated off a switch near the murphy bed. Not the outlet itself, just the top plugin. I've never seen this anywhere else.

We did not use the restaurant, but it seemed busy at breakfast, and we did hear the food was good. Don't bother with the Tiki Hut near the pools. The drinks were fairly pricy, and were pretty well watered down. That was not just our opinion. There is a good "barfood" (pizza, wings, etc.) restaurant at Mako's just north of the hotel. Mako's and "Nassau Ned's" ( a couple more hotels to the north) have better drinks, especially if Mario is batending at Ned's.

The Lazy River was a favorite with the kids, as were the pools. The beach is good sized, with plenty of room to spread out. There were chairs and umbrellas for rent, but we did not use them.

The location is good, espcially being right on the beach, but it was not terribly close to other attractions. If you are wanting sites such as Alabama Therater or Carolina Opry, you will have to drive several miles north. And, don't depend on having your parking space when you return. The garage is fairly small, and rather tight. There is also extra parking outside across the street.

The biggest drawback were some unhelpful staff members. By using Global, or other agents for that matter, some staffers were just short of rude. "You'll have to ask Global" was a frequent response. Examples: wifi. The rooms have them, but you need to get the password from the desk. The response when I called was, "ask Global" and a hangup. The Global rep had to call the desk and "remind" them to provide the info. If you rent through the hotel, calling room-to room is simple. Dial the floor #, then the room number. If you go through an agency, you have to call the actual phone # for the room, and the hotel does not have a listing of those. If you are lucky, someone has written the # on the phone, as ours was. Otherwise, you need to call from your room phone to someone with a caller ID equipped phone, then write down the #. Agency rented rooms do not have daily cleaning service, nor will they empty the trash. This info we knew about ahead of time, so was not an issue. Just be aware these situations may arise.

Only a handful of the staff were less than pleasant. The majority were very helpful, and did everything they could to make the stay even better. We would return, and even use an agency. We would just be prepared for a few possible hassles.

Room Tip: The higher floors are much quieter.