“Ocean View With a Little Brickwork on the Side”
Review of Paradise Resort

Paradise Resort
Ranked #22 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Ocean View With a Little Brickwork on the Side”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

I don't know if I expected too much, but the price was definitely right at $55. The college kids. which are probably the mainstay during the summer season, were all gone. Yippee. There were only a few screaming, undisciplined children. Yippee again. To me an ocean view is head-on looking over a wide expanse of water. To the hotel it is a neck twisting 90 degree turn with one eye closed to keep the building next door hidden from view. There were enough empty rooms for management to allow us to choose another room, which though it commanded a similar sideways view had less next door high-rise demanding our attention.
The room was definitely large and the beds were comfortable. The closet in the bathroom made dressing convenient. The shower was nice, but there was no plastic liner so it was necessary to carefully avoid wetting the fabric curtain. There was a sufficient number of towels but nowhere to put them after use. Throwing them on the floor or leaving the wet ones on the bathroom sink counter made an unnecessary mess. What was that red stain by the corner near the toilet and on the bathtub? Crayon? Dippin Dots? Blood? As is typical, not enough hangers for more than a day or two of clothing. What are travelers expected to do with the rest of their clothing? Leave them to wrinkle inside their suitcases? Speaking of wrinkling: There was an iron in the closet, but no ironing board. Speaking of half of a combo-There was a coffeemaker, but no coffee. Coffee is available downstairs in the bar and grill restaurant area, however. One cautionary note: The parking garage presents many accident opportunities. Drive areas are narrow and two way traffic is impossible in some areas. There are many blind spots. Proceed slowly and cautiously. This hotel is located away from most of the glitz, but an easy drive to major attractions.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 26 August 2009

We are a family of 5 and booked 1 bedroom condo 1409 from Palmetto Vacations .
We had plenty of room since the unit sleeps up to 8 ( 2 doubles in bedroom, murphy bed and sleeper sofa), nice kitchen area with double sink and breakfast counter and, great oceanfront views of the beach and ocean. The resort is well located with a nice lazy river albeit a little small and an indoor/ outddor pool. We had a great time and we highly recommend renting from Palmetto Vacations. They were super professional and even supplied us with a welcome gift. Ask for John..he was great !!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Booked a 4 night stay on bookit.com and went to Myrtle with my fiancee and his sister's family. (We are all in our 20's.) We stayed in room 1708. I had requested a room on a higher floor, as I knew the view would be great. (It was!) The room was surprisingly spacious, with a full kitchen. We did not have to supply any dishware, silverware, etc. There was even a blender! We brought breakfast and lunch items (to save $) and ate out for all dinners. If you don't want to bring anything, there is a Food Lion that is very close to this hotel. The bedroom was completed separated by the kitchen and bathroom. With two double beds, a murphey bed and a pull out couch, there was plenty of room. Unfortunately, extra bedding was not brought upon request, but we had our own from home from the drive down. Only annoying thing was that the fire alarm would go off frequently. Apparently this was due to humidity when keeping the patio door open.

The beach was much less rocky than farther North... not crowded when we were there in mid-August. The pool was pleasant and shaded, a relief from the hot sun. The tiki bar made excellent drinks (try the voodoo bucket!) at a decent price, although it was open at awkward hours. The hotel restaurant had basic menu items, nothing special, but still convenient if you don't want to drive or need to get a quick bite.

The hotel IS far from the North end.. I would suggest driving where ever you want to go if it's more than a few blocks, or if you hate walking (like myself). We went to Barefoot Landing (Fat Tue Day's alcoholic slushies a must!), Broadway at the Beach and parasailing. I would recommend Thorny's, the local steakhouse. Service was slower than most restaurants, but gave us time to chat about our daytime adventures. The food was excellent!

Overall, for the price and the excellent accommodations, I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for somewhere to stay in Myrtle Beach.

Oh and the parking garage IS small, but it is free and the parking lot across the street is VERY close. It was not an inconvenience at all. The doors to the outside do slam loudly, so request a room away from the ends of the hallways.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Stayed at the Paradise last week and was rather surprised. No problems with the D.J. (it is recorded music), pool was clean and heated, tight parking garage, parked across the street with no problems, and got a 1 bedroom ocean front suite for $79.00 a night (bookit.com). Would stay here again for that price but enjoy the north end better.

Reviewed 3 August 2009

My family and I just returned from the Paradise Resort and we thought it was great. The place was clean it came equipt with everything we needed and the staff were all polite helpful and quick to fullfill our needs. The resort was close to shopping, entertainment and of course the ocean. The rates were very affordable.We will definately be staying at the resort again next year.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
north carolina
Reviewed 29 July 2009

We had a wonderful stay here. The room was clean and cozy. Hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating. Pool area was nice, but small. the view from the room was spectacular. the only bad thing was that the parking garage is small and tight. At night it fills up quick as does the one across the street so if you come in late you have to park the next street over, and there was no security guard. other than that it was wonderful!

ps..... bring a blow dryer!!!! they do not have any.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Charleston, WV
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My husband and I stayed July 18-25 2009. When we arrived at the hotel the staff was extremely nice, and there were no complaints there. But, when it was time to unload our things from the car, now that was a different story. We could not find one luggage cart to load our things onto, so we had to make several trips up to the 11th floor. The room was very clean, and we had an awesome view from our balcony considering it was on the side of the hotel and not oceanfront. The beds in the room were extremely uncomfortable....it was like sleeping on concrete. I would have expected that a hotel that nice would have at least a decent bed, but I guess not. (Please be careful when you are staying on the lower floors, as I had just got out of the shower, and dried my hair when I went out onto the balcony, and leaned over to look up. Some teenagers about 4 floors up were spitting off of their balcony, and I got spit in my hair. Needless to say I was extremely mad, and I called the front desk. They apologized and said that they were going to send security up there, now whether or not they did, I have no idea.) The room did not have a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign so we had to have to front desk make us one out of a parking pass. The parking garage is horrible, and I barely could get my SUV through it. The pool looked to be very nice, however we could not hardly get in it because there were so many kids in it. The lazy river was fun except for when you are getting jumped on by a bunch of rowdy, rude kids. This hotel would be good for families with kids, but it does not make a good couples hotel when you want to go and relax in the pool or the hot tub. There was absolutley no relaxing in the pool, and it was very aggravating. There are several signs up that say no running, screaming, or playing on the island (lazy river), however the kids continue to run, scream, jump, and rough house even when the security is standing there. Overall, the location, cleanliness, and friendliness of the staff was excellent. However, I would never go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple