“Excellent oceanfront condo / hotel”

Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort
Ranked #58 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Excellent oceanfront condo / hotel”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Great location on the beach. Beautiful oceanfront views. Great pools both indoor and outdoor, lazy river, kiddie pool, and a newly installed hot tub. Convenient parking on property. We love this place!

• Stayed June 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We had looked for a long time before booking our vacation to myrtle. We decided to go through a realty company and we were to stay in north myrtle. Upon arrival, our place was filthy and disgusting!!! We requested a 2nd cleaning that didn't happen. We demanded a refund and were ready to leave myrtle all together. We decided to check our grand atlantic first though. We had gottend married at this resort 2 years ago but didn't stay there. We checked into our room. It was spotless!!! It saved our first family vacation with our 10 month old. It has everything that you cold need. The parking garage is a lIttle tight but they all are in myrtle. Scooby's has good pizza and ice cream. It's in a great lovation. We also noticed several security cameras that made us feel safe. Would definitely stay here again!! Do not waste time with realty companies!!!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Nrsash80
United STates
Reviewed 15 June 2012

My family and I stayed at the Grand Atlantic this week. Over all I'd say it was an average experience but would definitely stay again. Let me preface by saying that we stayed in one of the time-share units which is not serviced through the hotel. We arrived to find that we didn't have any linens whatsoever. We ended up having to get linens through the hotel and was charged, but ended up getting refunded. This was a minor annoyance and damged the first impressions of the resort. Additionally, we were told that the hot tub was installed and ready to go and discovered that this wasn't true. The hot tub wasn't finished until the end of our stay, and even then, the heater on it was broken so it was a luke warm tub. Also, the construction from the hot tub ended up affecting the other pools with the dust and other debris ending up in their water. Again, not a huge deal, but an inconvenience. The rooms are pretty nice, but the beds aren't very comfortable. The mattresses definitely need to be replaced. Also, the TV's are old and need to be replaced with flat panel high definition TVs. Watching cable TV in this condo is like trying to watch TV back in the 80s off a roof antenna. Also, the AC system needs to be upgraded. The front rooms were comfortable, but the back rooms were very warm because the system wasn't efficent enough to cool the whole condo. All in all, when I go on vacation, I don't want to have to deal with any problems and we didn't have that experience on this trip. Hopefully, management will read this review and make changes to make our next stay a little better.

Room Tip: Ask with a room with a new(er) bed.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
GrandAtlanticManager, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 16 June 2012
Thank you for letting everyone know up front that you did not rent through our on-site office. Some of the off-site companies do not put linens in their units unless the guests pay extra for the service. Renting through the on-site office includes housekeeping services and fresh towels and bed linens. Also, the majority of the units rented by the onsite rental office now have upgraded mattresses and many have flatscreen tvs. Both of these items can be requested when you book your reservation. Also, proper maintenance is required on the AC systems to keep them operating at their peak efficiency, and unfortunately, some rental companies do not do this and the performance suffers. Our office performs preventative maintenance on all of our AC units several times per year.

We are sorry that the hot tub project did not get open until near the end of your stay. The project was scheduled for completion prior to Memorial Day but unfortunately it experienced a few delays by the contractor. Once construction was completed, we had to wait for inspections by the health department and the city of Myrtle Beach. At the initial inspection there were a few minor issues that the contractor needed to correct so there was one day last week where they had to redo part of the project. Once final approval was received, the hot tub was opened. Since we could not operate the hot tub until after final inspection, we were told it would take some time for the heater to get the water to a high temp. The heater is not broken, but may not be large enough to heat the hot tub to our desired temp. The contractor is reviewing the data on the heater and the temperature readings and has told us that he will install a different heater if it appears that the current heater will not perform as desired.

Thank you again for your review and also indicating that despite the shortcomings of this stay that you would return again. We invite you to rent through our office on your next visit.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is my families 5th visit to this resort and very likely our last. We choose to book with an outside realty company for this visit. On prior visits we have booked directly with the resort and through an agency and have never received such poor customer service.
Upon arriving at the resort we were told they could not find our reservation and we would not get a key. We retrieved our confirmation and attempted to show it to Deborah and asked if she would call them and they would confirm. Her response was and I quote " NO You should have booked directly with us!" All I can say is WOW

After a few moment of in disbelief we called the realty company and they called the resort and we were able to get a key

Later another person in our party which wasn't on the reservation arrived a day later walked in asked for a key and parking pass was given one without even being asked to show their id. Makes me feel really safe.......

The resort isn't that old but it certainly isn't aging well. We saw a serious decline in how well the common areas are being kept. Their are a ton of options in Myrtle Beach in lodging and we will certainly look elsewhere for our future visits.

Room Tip: You can do better
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
GrandAtlanticManager, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
We are sorry if this guest felt our customer service was below their expectations. When you book through an off-site agency, we must rely on them to inform us of their reservations so that we can be prepared for the guests arrival. Unfortunately, when they do not complete this simple step, it causes great inconvenience on the guest. Even with a printed confirmation from the guest, we can not accept that to give entry into the room. We can only create a reservation for a off-site rented unit at the direct request of the rental agency. When you book with an outside rental agency, the ability of our staff to assist you is extremely limited. Also, with the guest arriving the next day, he most certainly would have been asked a few questions at a minimum to indicate that he was entitled to be in that room. The most likely scenario is that the guest told us at check-in that he would be coming so we made notes on the reservation so that we could be prepared. At no time would we ever give someone access to a room by simply taking their word for it. We have procedures in place that allow us to screen guests prior to issuing keys to a unit. Unfortunately, in this case, the lack of preparation by the off-site rental agency cause an inconvenient check-in experience for the guest. Had they properly informed us of the reservation, their check-in would have been very quick and efficient. Being told you don't have a reservation when you arrive at a hotel or resort is certainly not what you want to hear. However, since they rented through an off-site rental agency, this was out of our control.
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We arrived at the Grand Atlantic Ocean building around 7:00PM on Saturday, May 26. Crowd management and police were in view and actively trying to maintain traffic control and pedestrian movement. We were stopped trying to enter the parking garage and gave the attendant our name and room number. He did not have a record of our reservation and indicated that we should park on the side and go into the Lobby and get the parking pass # and check-in. I entered the lobby and gave the information to the desk operator. Upon giving the room number, she remarked that the specific owner of unit 2006 does not typically notify the property of the rental information. This was perhaps the first sign of trouble. I booked the room about three months in advance, and expected the front desk to be aware of my stay. The attendant was a member of the portion of the building that is run as a hotel, not the condo part, so I could understand why she might not be bothered.
We got our parking pass and number and went back to my car. The attendant placed the sticker on my windshield, but indicated that there was no parking in the garage. He told me about the “bike week” and the obvious lack of parking spots. I proceeded to unload about half of my car and sent my family up to the 20th floor (room 2006). After an hour of driving around, I found a spot several streets away. I also went into the Lobby to ask about “bike week” and the front desk personnel indicated that all owners were notified of the group and possible congestion, etc. Why was this information not passed to me, the renter? The lack of parking in a condo is an aspect of a family vacation that should be communicated. The pedestrian and vehicular traffic were so bad, that we decided to have pizza delivered. We also went down to the indoor pools, but were told the pools were not available (they were being filled and tested). We decided take a walk along the beach.
Upon arrival at the unit, we immediately took inventory. We noted that one of the four remote controls was missing. We also noted holes in some of the “velour” blankets. Yellow stains were also apparent on several of the bed sheets.
The unit is not clean. It might be considered “tidy”, but this should not be mistaken with clean. We discovered and provided pictures of large crumbs on the floor and in the drawers (utensils and bottoms, dishwasher) to the condo management company. The discovery of the unit being not clean makes me questions the level of attention provided within the unit? The countertops were greasy and had a yellow sheen. Several switch plates in the units were greasy and slippery to the touch. The interior of the oven was disgusting. The fan in the master bathroom has about a ¼” of dust or accumulated fluff. Coffee cups still had dried liquid and stains. The entire floor reeked with cigars, pot and incense. This was advertised as a no-smoking residence. Obviously, this is not enforced.
Finally, the fire extinguisher in the kitchen had a dial that indicated it was empty (not charged) and had no indication of previous service. I am not really sure how to explain the feeling of seeing the dial read empty.
I phoned the office responsible for the rental agreement and left a message.
The next day, the representative returned my call and offered to come to the unit to clean the oven. However, we had already changed our plans with our friends and we were not interested in being inconvenienced with an oven cleaning, when the unit was to be provided clean. I asked specifically about the crowd control issue and lack of parking. The agent assured me that the crowd would be gone by Monday. This clearly indicated that she knew of the gathering, but did not inform us. She asked what could she do to remedy the situation and I asked for any parking fees to be reimbursed. She changed the subject and indicated that the crowd would be gone tomorrow. She also explained that no properties on Myrtle Beach have guaranteed parking and no other property could offer it. She also acknowledged that other resort communities Orange beach, Miami beach, Pensacola and Ft Walton do have a system with guaranteed parking. This made me resolve to seek family vacation in those locations. As for the fire extinguisher, the representative told me that the fire extinguisher is not required and the owner had installed it herself. I was personally surprised to hear this explanation. When was the last time this fire extinguisher was serviced?
There is also significant construction being done on the first floor in the area of the indoor pools. This construction on the pool area was very noisy and made it difficult to have any conversation while relaxing near the pool. The concrete dust in the air, almost made it difficult to see. We were not informed of this construction activity. Hotels have a date range to announce when there is significant construction being done to the property.
On the brochure, the unit is listed and described as “brand new”. This is not the case. The furniture clearly has dark and worn spots. The sheets are slightly yellow and have “pilling”. We also looked through the guest book and several pages had been removed. The washer/dryer made such a racket and became so unbalanced that it nearly danced out of the closet. The load consisted of a few T-shirts and shorts, so we did not ask for the device to clean an unusual load.
Lastly, your website indicates that the tax for the accommodations is 11%. You charged me 13% and upon questioning, gave me the breakdown. Please update your website to reflect the true tax rate that will be charged.
In the past, we’ve stayed at other family-friendly beach locations (Panama City, Gulf Shores, etc.) and have had excellent transactions with other property management groups. I was extremely disappointed with how much information we should have known.
Overall, we did enjoy our stay, once we cleaned the parts of the unit we needed. I was also able to get a close parking spot, once the bike week crowd had left. However, your attention to detail (failure to notify us of construction, limited use of entertainment and the crowd) all prove to me that this operation is not customer focused. The value of the rental was also not favorable, since we had considerable inconvenience during the stay. I did some searches of the Grand Atlantic and noticed a similar pattern from some previous rentals. These rentals were not specific to unit 2006, but spoke of several bad experiences with similarities to our recent experience. We looked through the guest book and the last review was in Nov 2011 and several pages had been removed. I wonder if these were “not good” reviews and were removed.

Room Tip: Communication must be improved, if this place is to survive. The staff was friendly, but fully over...
4 Thank Bryan K
GrandAtlanticManager, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
The specifics of this review are related to unit 2006 which is the only unit in the resort rented by Oceanfront Condo Rentals of Myrtle Beach. When reading this review, please keep this in mind as it does not relate to the other 132 units in the resort. We sent an email to this reviewer and they indicated that they would consider returning to the Grand Atlantic, but would not rent this particular unit or use the Oceanfront Condo Rentals agency to book their vacation. This Tripadvisor listing is for the resort as a whole and unfortunately, must be shared by all owner's and rental agencies who rent units at the Grand Atlantic. The onsite staff at the Grand Atlantic is unable to assist guests with any issues or concerns if they rented their room through an off-site agency or directly from an owner. To ensure the best combination of room quality and service, please book your vacations directly through the on-site office at the resort or on the resorts main website.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 4 June 2012

The hotel check in staff Kaylee and Debra were extemely helpful. The hotel was clean and all the staff were very friendly. I would Highly reccomend this hotel. The locatio was great it was right on the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite it was perefect for a family of 5
4 Thank Karen M
GrandAtlanticManager, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Thank you for your positive comments especially about the staff. They appreciate it very much when they get recognized for their service to our guests. I hope those reading these reviews see this review as being more indicative of the true experience at our resort since the last couple of reviews were tarnished by our pool renovations and the Memorial Day Bikefest event. The entire staff of the Grand Atlantic strives to exceed the expectations of each and every one of our guests. For guests returning to the resort this year, we have completed several enhancements to the resort including an all-new and improved exercise room, a game room, and a renevated indoor pool area with an added hot tub amenity.
carolinagirlatheart
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We were so excited about our trip to Myrtle Beach this year because it was longer than most of other trips in the past. We have been coming to Myrtle Beach for over 13 years and have learned of a few hotels that we really like. Because this was a longer stay I wanted a hotel with a washer and dryer in the room and our children LOVE the lazy river. After researching many hotels in Myrtle Beach we decided to try the Grand Atlantic. Our friends had stayed here awhile back and said it was pretty nice. Check in went great, we arrived around 2 or 3 and was able to check in early. I was given what I had requested a room on a higher level and when we walked into the hotel we were very pleased with the look. We put everything away before heading down to check the temperature of the beach and relax at the pools. Needless to say we had a lot of put away for a 10 night stay. After everything was in its place we all put on swim suits and headed downstairs. We wanted to walk by the indoor pool and lazy river to see how busy it was before heading out to the beach. We were in for a shocker when we got down to the pool area. It was a construction zone! We walked the kids out to the beach and the water was cold so we made our way back to the outdoor pool and it was too cold for the kids to enjoy it. We went upstairs to change into our clothes and go talk to the front desk about our options. We chose this hotel specifically for the indoor lazy river, indoor pool, and washer and dryer. The lady at the front desk told us they wasn’t aware the construction would be taking place and we could use the indoor pool next door at the Reef, we would be compensated for our inconvenience, and she also told us they expected the pools to be done by Friday (That would have meant 5 days of not being able to use the indoor pool and lazy river). We thought since we were receiving some money back for not being able to use the amenities for those days and being able to use the indoor pool next year everything would be ok. Oh how wrong we were. First of all the pool at the Reef is not as nice as what you get at the Grand Atlantic. One day the kids found a small dead fish in the pool, one day the whirlpool was closed, we saw huge roaches close to the pool, and there was smoking and drinking around the indoor pool area. (Now we can’t really complain to The Reef management about this because it was not the hotel we were staying in.) We tried our best to put on a smile and enjoy the indoor pool but it was just yuck. One night I even had a lady come and warn me that they had just ran off a lady for stripping at the pool, kids sure don’t need to see that. Thursday night I went down to the office to get an update on the pool since I was told after we had checked in they would be done Friday. The gentleman working in office told me it would be Saturday. Saturday morning when I woke up I went and checked on the indoor pools and they were still not opened. I went into the office and spoke with another lady who told me maybe Sunday. I asked to speak to a manager and she said there wasn’t one there at the time. I explained to her how we were upset and she proceeded to tell me that we could use the indoor pool at the Reef. I told her about some of the experiences we had while being over there. She then said that no refunds were being given because not that many people had complained. Wow! Not that many people had complained because the hotel was not that full at the time and most people that I saw didn’t have small children like we did. I told her what the other lady had told us that the pools should be done by Friday and we would be receive compensation for inconvenience, and if we would have known that it was going to take this long we would have went to another hotel. Another gentleman came out and said they would talk to the manager and let him know how upset we were and that he was 90% sure we would be able to use the lazy river on Sunday. I received a call in the room a little later from the girl I spoke with and she said a manager came in and they told him about our situation. They said we would receive our last two nights free for our trouble. I thought well ok two nights free and we will get to use the lazy river for four days. A little while later she called back and said they could upgrade us from a one bedroom condo to a three bedroom condo. I thought this was a nice gesture and debated whether or not to accept because we had so much pack and move. We went ahead with the free upgrade and two free nights still thinking the lazy river would open Sunday. Needless to say Sunday came and went with no lazy river. We also had our room keys stop working so I went downstairs to get new room keys only to find out the batteries needed to be replaced. Our last day there our dryer started to make a horrible sound. I called down to the front desk and they sent maintenance up to our room. Two guys arrived to check things out and told us they thought it was fixed but if we had any more problems just call and they would come back. It started making the sound again so we called and maintenance came back to our room. To his credit he tried to fix it but was unable. He told me that I could wash my clothes and call him and he would take the wet clothes to housekeeping and they would dry them. “Thank you “to whoever was in housekeeping that evening because the clothes were folded when I received them back. The point is I wanted a room with a washer and dryer so I could wash and dry clothes at my convenience. So the reasons we choose this hotel was for an indoor lazy river, indoor pool, and washer and dryer. We never got to use the indoor pool or lazy river and our dryer stopped working on us the last night. My kids were devastated to see the lazy river up and running (but still not open), and the indoor pool being filled with water the day we were checking out. We tried our best to make use of the outdoor pool at the Grand Atlantic but it was kind of hard to enjoy with the dust flying and the loud saws and drills. They also had signs around the hotel stating that starting Thursday (which was our check out day) Motorcycles would be the only vehicles allowed to park on the second floor. We had parked on the second floor Wednesday thinking we are checking out Thursday morning so it wouldn’t concern us. Well on Wednesday evening we received a call that we were parked on the 2nd floor in the garage and we would need to move our car before 8am to another level. My husband went and moved our car, however when we checked out the next morning at 10:30am there were still cars parked on the 2nd floor.
We were thankful for the two free nights and the upgrade however we were under the impression we would still be able to use at least the indoor lazy river. Other than the beach the lazy river is our kids FAVORTIVE things about being on vacation in Myrtle Beach. I gave the rating I did because the indoor pool amenities were not in service the whole time we were at the hotel. In an ideal situation one should be made aware at check in. I know that they couldn't inform us any sooner than check in because they told us they did not know until that morning after construction had already begun. We should have been given the opportunity to move to another hotel with the amenities we wanted.

6 Thank carolinagirlatheart
We are sincerely regretful that this reviewer's stay was tarnished by the work that was being done in our pool area to improve the resort. They were a very kind and understanding family and we tried to do everything that we could to lessen the impact. It is true that we were not aware of the exact time the project would begin. It had been plagued by delays in starting since mid February, so when they started the project on Monday morning, we were quite surprised. The time estimates we provided the guests on the pools re-opening were based solely on feedback from the contractor. Unfortunately, they did not complete their work as quickly as they had told us they would. As a result, our indoor pools were closed longer than they should have been. For most of our guests, the pool project did not represent a concern as they were not traveling with children. We recognize that for a handful of guests that had small children who were relying on the indoor pool area to enjoy their vacation, this project was a major inconvenience. For this reason, we provided the guest with a refund of 2-nights of their stay. We also offered them a complimentary upgrade from a one bedroom condo into a three bedroom condo since they had 2 adults and several children sharing a one bedroom unit. They were very appreciative of the upgrade. We will always do what we can to attempt to make things right if we are not meeting our guests expectations. The dryer in the condo did stop working on the last evening of their stay. Since it was after hours and we could not get an appliance repair company to come out and fix it, we did dry and fold their laundry for them so they would not be inconvenienced with a room move on their final day of the stay. The indoor pool and lazy river reopened as soon as we could get the chemical levels rebalanced after refilling them.

The entire pool project is now completed and the resort has an all new-pool deck and a new hot tub amenity. We are thankful for the understanding that our guests had during this project and look forward to the many years of positive impact this project will have on all of our future guests.