“Relaxing, good location and great place to stay”

Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort
Ranked #53 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Relaxing, good location and great place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed our week at Grand Atlantic from checkin to check out everyone we meet was so nice and helpful. Room was very large and very clean. The resort pools are very nice and we enjoyed the new hot tubs, the grounds was clean and the area was a great area to be in. We are looking forward to our next stay.

1 Thank fdicg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Jacksonville, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed at this location the week of July 4th to try something different, but this place is not worth the money. The front desk people are just rude, no customer service skills at all but I understand why because the manager is very rude as well.(try leading by example) We had soooo many problem staying here; we could not get the hot water "HOT",had a problem with water not draining in the bath tub, the furniture was very nasty (I would rather sit on the floor than sit on the couch). I started itching as soon as I got to the room. It's amazing to me that this hotel say they do not have "BEDBUGS" but I found dead ones on the edge of the mattress. THIS IS NOT A PLACE I WOULD STAY A SECOND TIME....

2 Thank Tammy T
, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
It is our opinion that this review is written by the same guests as the prior review. We can not find any guests with the same initials as this reviewer or that was from florida during the 4th of July week. Surely if it was a different guest, they would never have left without telling us they found bed bugs in their room. This guest is following through on their promise to defame our hotel on the internet after they were denied a full refund. Staff and managment at any hotel are often accussed of being rude simply because you deny a request for refund. We strive to ensure that all of our guests are satisfied and when a valid complaint is made, we make it right. In this case, we had a professional pest control company verify that the room was free of any bugs. What more can we do if we have a professional company telling us that they don't exist and putting it in writing that there is nothing that needs to be done. I'm sorry to all those that are reading this and may consider allowing it to alter their opinion of the resort.
Monroe, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2012

Bed bugs found!!! We stayed in a 4 bedroom condo. Family members had been itching, and scratching but we just blamed it on the chlorine. Got ready for bed on the 5th night, and my aunt found a live bed bug crawling on my cousin pillow. It was fully developed, and that’s how we were able to capture it and put it in a ziplock bag. By this being an adult bedbug, it had definitely being there for a while. We then started checking the other beds and found dead ones in the master bed room. We took the live bed bug down to the front desk, and the staff was so rude. They could have cared less that we had been bitten or anything. We asked for our money back and he said that it would not be possible because the rooms are individually owned. At this point, it not about the money, we just wanted to get out of there. My daughter that is 6 had bite marks on her back and her sides. Two other family members had bites on their hand, arm, and face. We even tried to show the staff the bite marks on our family. We packed up our luggage and put them in trash bags. The next day, I called the room back at the resort to see if a new family had checked in and, they had already given the room to new guest. I warned the family about the bed bugs and they checked out. The General Manager finally called us after 2 days and threatened us for telling the guests about the bedbugs. After arguing with the General Manager, he told us that Pest Control had checked the room and did not find anything. Wow! He did not even show the Pest Control the Bed bug that we took to the front office. This is not over due to this Health and Safety concern. I know that there are bed bugs in that room and I took evidence to them and have bite marks to prove this case. Just don’t want other families to go through what we went through. Not once, have the hotel apologized or even acknowledged that our vacation was ruined. Not to mention what we had to do, once we got home. I hate that we chose this hotel. I will never stay here again. The General Manager and the staff need training on customer service and communication.

Room Tip: Check the room for bed bugs.
6 Thank Tamela M
, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
This guest has made a claim that they their condo had bed bugs in it. We had a professional pest control company come in and they spent 3 hours searching the room for any signs of bed bugs and found none. We contacted the guest and told them we had a report from a pest control company saying the room did not have any bed bugs in it and they proceeded to tell us that the pest control company didn't know how to do their job. If a professional company tells us that there is nothing for us to worry about or do, what else are we to do? This guest was refunded nearly $500 and they were still wanting more even after the room was found to be bug free.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Would not stay here again! Very old dirty room! Room was very dark and beds not comfortable at all! I would not stay in this section of mrytle beach again very run down and doesn't seem very safe . Not worth the price!

3 Thank Tcsouth
, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2012
This reviewer did not provide enough information to adequately respond to their concerns. Our location on the south end of the beach is very safe and we are lucky to be on part of the widest section of beach in the area. If the condo was not very clean at check-in, it is more than likely that they rented through an off-site agency or individual owner. Our on-site office has a stellar reputation for arrival cleanliness.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

We checked into the hotel on the Thursday after the Independence Day holiday. The room was satisfactory and the front desk was responsive to our needs, as our tub didn't properly drain when we used it. Our big issue was with the bathroom. When we returned from the beach, we noticed that there was still sand in the shower from where we had bathed earlier. When I called down to the front desk, I was told that the bathroom is not part of the daily housekeeping services. The front desk attendant offered to see if housekeeping was still available to clean it for us that day, but they would not clean it every day. This was a big deal to us as you get a lot of sand into the bathroom, even after showering off outside. Housekeeping did come clean the bathroom the next morning, after we called the front desk again. Since having a clean bathroom is a huge deal for us, we wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
The Grand Atlantic is a condominium resort featuring individually owned condo units. With the condos being extremely large and having multiple bathrooms in each, the resort offers a "condo-style" daily cleaning service. Many condos that you can rent in various locations don't offer any daily service at all. We offer basic daily service to increase the comfort of our guests. Housekeeping will perform any extra cleaning that a guests requests without hesitation or additional charge. When this guest requested we clean their bathroom, we happily honored their request. The front desk was simply informing them that it would not be cleaned automatically every day as it is not part of the normal stayover service.
Camden, SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stay at Myrtle Beach every year for the week of the 4th. This year we decided to try Grand Atlantic and needless to say will be looking elsewhere for next year. First of all, the front desk clerk (tall man not sure of his name) is has ABSOLUTELY NO personality and is not a friendly inviting person to greet your incoming guests..............and don't complain, because he could care less and basically makes us feel like we are just pests to him. I own a property management company in Manning and I rent vacation homes to families every year. I understand that things happen and things break, but when that happens we take care of it and in an apologetic manner. I don't want anyone to come to us for their long awaited vacation and not be satisfied. For starters, we had to wait over 30 minutes in the hallway with all of our belongings taking up the entire hallway because our keys didn't work. We had to wait on someone to come up and reprogram the keys and change the batteries. Of course when they first got to the door they thought we just didn't know what we were doing......ha guess what they didn't work!! We had dvd players in all the rooms, but doesn't do much good if you don't have cables for the tv. We called the front desk and they send someone to check. I guess they thought I needed glass or something. Guess what? There were NO CABLES.....just like I said in the first place. We were then told that there was nothing they could do because the owners provided that and we were just SOL. The ceiling fan in the front bedroom didn't work. No one ever came to even check that. The dryer had to be reset four times to get one load of clothes dry. I think it ended up being about four hours to dry one load. It took forever the first night to finally get hot water to come in the shower but we did finally get some. The next night was not so hot but not unbearable. The third night there was no hot water. We waited until the next morning to see if it would get hot over night but the next morning it was still cold. We called the front desk and got "MR. WONDERFUL" himself and of course he told us he couldn't understand why we didn't have hot water. I don't know either but we don't.................just fix it already. Well I'm still waiting on someone to come so I can take a shower and no one has showed up yet. This is just what I wanted to to do for my vacation...............sit in this condo waiting on a shower. Thanks Grand Atlantic. Just so you know I'm not a complainer at all. I try to fix the things I can fix and not have to bother anyone but can't fix your hot water heater system. DON'T STAY HERE. IT'S NOT WORTH THE MONEY AND THE SERVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
3 Thank lisabairmoore
, General Manager at Grand Atlantic Ocean Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2012
I am sorry to hear that this guest experienced a few problems and especially the fact that the service they received fell short of both of our expectations. I have attempted to contact this guest to learn more about their stay, but have yet to hear back. Hopefully, they will call back and we will have a chance to make things right for them. We have yet to uncover their hot water issues as everything in the room tested fine and we received no other complaints about hot water during their stay. For the other minor issues and the service shortfall, we apologize and will learn from this to enhance our guest service. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Everything we saw on internt was true the hotel was very nice and the service was great. Yes I would go back me and my family loves grand alantic resort will recommand anyone else to go.We got turn on by my husband co worker and we thank him for turning use on to the hotel. I give it 5 stars. Awesome place.

• Stayed July 2012
We are pleased to hear that your vacation was everything you had hoped for. Thank you for sharing and we hope to see you again soon!