“Clean”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #25 of 207 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Booked online when I arrived very easy check in people at front desk very nice booked ocean front room loved it very clean beds very comfortable housekeeper was very nice loved the lazy river and all the pools loved that fact it was on the beach surrounded by plenty of places to eat in walking distance I really miss waking up there on the beach can't wait to book my room for next year

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank dechell
Write a ReviewReviews (1,972)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Dayton House Resort from August 5-9 2012. We just left the resort and based on the reviews I thought this was the way to go. But I was wrong. Staff is friendly but management is horrible. I usually do not complain about hotels since I know what to expect from being on many vacations and hotels over the years but this was one of the worst experience ever. We checked in fine, a bit confusing at first on where to go but we had the side view efficiency which was the building across the street.

Room was dated. Sink fixtures were loose and bathroom ceiling were stained from what seemed to be a leak from the upstairs. TV was really old and static-y. Anyway I didn't give it much thought since my expectations were not too high. Just happy to be at the beach.

After a 10 hour trip from Pennsylvania we check in venture out for a couple of hours and head back to our room. The next morning Aug 6, we head to the beach. I leave my car keys in the room (take everything else of value) drawer and cross the street. At about 3 pm we decide to venture out again. My vehicle which was parked behind our building at the Dayton parking lot was broken into! I could not believe it! They stole everything of value: my GPS which was inside my glove box, sunglasses, loose change, and some CD's I brought for my ride. I immediately went to the office to inform the manager. He told me to wait while he attended guest and seemed nonchalant about the whole situation. My pregnant wife was upset but I did not want her to get too worked up and waited until the manager was done. He spoke to one of the employees and said he called the police to wait across the street! I guess he didn't want to scare away the other guest. So I crossed the street and waited for the officer to arrive. The officer arrived and spoke to us about the incident. I informed the officer that I left my car keys in the room. I was not accusing anyone but its worth checking into since my windows were not broken and my room was clean so I either left the door unlocked (which I usually never forget to do) or someone opened my door with keys since it has an alarm. Either way the officer asked the manager for the names of the employees with access and he would not disclose it! Unbelievable! My wife also asked if there was anything they could do for us since this happened in their property. The manager proceeded to say that's what car insurance is for!
Officer informed us not to worry that someone was going to investigate the incident in the morning and talk to the general manager and they would get the employee names.

After a two days I decided to call the general manager (Paul Garcia), left a message on his voice mail and what do you know, I never received a call back. I've been to many places for vacation over the years and this has to be one of the worst customer service we have received especially as victimized guest. We will not visit this resort again and if you're concerned about safety, I would not recommend staying at this place!

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you cherish your valuables
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank Mike C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Very nice rooms, the location was great, and the staff was very friendly and pleasant. I've been to a few other hotels in the area in the past; this was my first stay at the Dayton House. While there are many good options around, the Dayton House is just the best value around, and I'll definitely stay here again when I next visit Myrtle Beach!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank UpstateSteve
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I've been meaning to write this review for awhile. We stayed at the Dayton House in 2011, and were generally very pleased. The rooms were not particularly fancy, but they were clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable, and the views were beautiful. My only complaint, room-wise, is that our family booked two rooms, and requested that they be next to each other, or at least on the same floor. Well, they were not on the same floor--one was on the 9th, and one was on the 5th. In response to this, they upgraded one of our rooms to a suite, so I'm not really complaining.

This hotel has impressive water amenities. There are several pools, and a long lazy-river. The pool areas are well kept, and very nicely landscaped. What is especially unique is the wade-in pool, where you gradually walk into the pool on a gradual incline. There are two saunas, which is always a plus for those who enjoy them.

Parking is, indeed, tight. The garage in the suites tower has tight corners, which were sometimes hard to maneuver. Overall, parking is not an annoyance though.

Although we chose to stay elsewhere on our next trip to Myrtle Beach, it was NOT because we were in any way dissatisfied with the Dayton House; we simply needed a hotel with a 3 bedroom condo. The Dayton House provided us with a memorable vacation and I would recommend it highly!

Room Tip: Request a high floor. All rooms have good views, though.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank beachbum00
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it! Whirlwind girls weekend I booked through travelocity. The rooms are clean and spacious. The beds are quite comfy & I liked the pillows (Im pillow picky). Our room was an efficiency with 2 queen beds & a kitchenette with an ocean angle view - which was a great view of the ocean & yellow umbrellas. Every staff person we encountered was very friendly. It was a safe area that we felt comfortable walking around at night - saw lots of families out at night. It's a very good value. We spent 98% of our time on the beach and only in the zero entry pool twice, and it was very nice. Clean, not a lot of chlorine. GO!!

Room Tip: There are 4 buildings; we stayed in the north building with an ocean angle view. I'd recommend...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Greenbean1000
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We started coming to the Dayton House in the late 1960's (have missed only a few years). We have found no reason to stay elsewhere. The Dayton House is centrally located, very clean,
has the largest and well kept beautiful yard in Myrtle Beach, friendly people, and is within walking
distance to the best restaurant (Sea Captain's House) in Myrtle Beach. It is important to note
that the Dayton House has kept pace with the times over the many years. Truly, the Dayton
House is a great place to stay for a nice vacation.

Room Tip: We stay in the South Building; however, we understand that most rooms are great! This resort is fam...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank LBradfield
Reviewed 5 August 2012

For us it was a great place to stay, we had an 11th floor Ocean front suite which was very clean, beds were great and the maid service was excellent, all of the Dayton House staff were friendly and helpful our grand kids loved it.
Sure we didn't get parking in the suites parking lot all of the time but it's high season and it was only a short walk to the other parking lots, and yes the halls were hot but where else do you vent the A.C. units, and the arm band police give me a break how else would you control who is suppose to be on their property.

Room Tip: Ocean front the best for the value.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family