“Great Trip”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #27 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Great Trip”
Reviewed 18 August 2012 via mobile

My wife, 9 year old daughter and myself stayed 8/12 - 8/17. We had an ocean front efficiency in the north building - room 623. The room does show its age some, but was very clean and the beds were very comfortable. The pools were nice, and parking was good, even if you parked in the garage - its a block directly across the street. The Yella Umbrella has lunch and and drinks (with it without alcohol) for a good price - try the Malibu bucket!! All the staff was Very nice. Location is within a few blocks to nearly anything you would need and about 1 mile from the Sky Wheel. Our stay included complimentary breakfast for 2 at Uncle Johns Restaurant beside the parking garage and the food was very good. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (569)
Moundsville, West Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Booked online, very easy process. Made two phone calls with questions regarding what we would find in the room and what we needed to bring. Very helpful customer service, pleasant and informative. Arrived early on the day we were to check in...called from the road and was told we could stop by the office, check in and get our parking pass and we would be called when our room was ready. Check in took about two minutes. Parked our vehicle and spent a couple of hours on the beach near the resort. Had lunch at Uncle John's and enjoyed a very good meal and courteous service. Room was ready early and we were called as promised. Found the room to be clean and the fixtures and appliances to be in good shape. Stayed in the Suites building and enjoyed a spectacular ocean front view. No complaints! Called the front desk one time when a trash can in the hallway on our floor contained very smelly garbage and the can was promptly removed. Enjoyed the swimming pools, hot tubs and lazy river. Very clean and well kept. Appreciated the security personnel checking wrist bands to be sure the folks using each facility were actually Dayton House guests. Food at the snack bar was reasonably priced and yummy. Very friendly staff throughout the resort. Looking forward to our next trip to Myrtle Beach and believe we will be staying at Dayton House again! My only difficulty was parking...had rented a large SUV which I was not familiar with and found parking spaces to be tight. Probably would not have given it a thought had I been in a smaller vehicle. The exit from the lower level of the Suites building had such a tight turn I had to back up and work my way forward quite slowly when we unloaded and loaded our luggage. The pole that I was circumnavigating indicated that I was certainly not the first that found the turn a tight one...as it had been scraped by many different vehicles. I know parking is at a premium at the beach and was grateful for free parking spaces. As we were leaving the resort for the last time I didn't even attempt to make the tight turn but backed up and went out the entrance. Certainly not enough of an issue to prevent my booking a stay at the resort in the future.

Room Tip: Truly enjoyed our stay in the Suites building. We were on the fifth floor and the ocean front view...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Booked online when I arrived very easy check in people at front desk very nice booked ocean front room loved it very clean beds very comfortable housekeeper was very nice loved the lazy river and all the pools loved that fact it was on the beach surrounded by plenty of places to eat in walking distance I really miss waking up there on the beach can't wait to book my room for next year

• Stayed July 2012
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Me and my wife stayed at the Dayton House Resort from August 5-9 2012. We just left the resort and based on the reviews I thought this was the way to go. But I was wrong. Staff is friendly but management is horrible. I usually do not complain about hotels since I know what to expect from being on many vacations and hotels over the years but this was one of the worst experience ever. We checked in fine, a bit confusing at first on where to go but we had the side view efficiency which was the building across the street.

Room was dated. Sink fixtures were loose and bathroom ceiling were stained from what seemed to be a leak from the upstairs. TV was really old and static-y. Anyway I didn't give it much thought since my expectations were not too high. Just happy to be at the beach.

After a 10 hour trip from Pennsylvania we check in venture out for a couple of hours and head back to our room. The next morning Aug 6, we head to the beach. I leave my car keys in the room (take everything else of value) drawer and cross the street. At about 3 pm we decide to venture out again. My vehicle which was parked behind our building at the Dayton parking lot was broken into! I could not believe it! They stole everything of value: my GPS which was inside my glove box, sunglasses, loose change, and some CD's I brought for my ride. I immediately went to the office to inform the manager. He told me to wait while he attended guest and seemed nonchalant about the whole situation. My pregnant wife was upset but I did not want her to get too worked up and waited until the manager was done. He spoke to one of the employees and said he called the police to wait across the street! I guess he didn't want to scare away the other guest. So I crossed the street and waited for the officer to arrive. The officer arrived and spoke to us about the incident. I informed the officer that I left my car keys in the room. I was not accusing anyone but its worth checking into since my windows were not broken and my room was clean so I either left the door unlocked (which I usually never forget to do) or someone opened my door with keys since it has an alarm. Either way the officer asked the manager for the names of the employees with access and he would not disclose it! Unbelievable! My wife also asked if there was anything they could do for us since this happened in their property. The manager proceeded to say that's what car insurance is for!
Officer informed us not to worry that someone was going to investigate the incident in the morning and talk to the general manager and they would get the employee names.

After a two days I decided to call the general manager (Paul Garcia), left a message on his voice mail and what do you know, I never received a call back. I've been to many places for vacation over the years and this has to be one of the worst customer service we have received especially as victimized guest. We will not visit this resort again and if you're concerned about safety, I would not recommend staying at this place!

Room Tip: Do not stay here if you cherish your valuables
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Mike C
Clinton, NY
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Very nice rooms, the location was great, and the staff was very friendly and pleasant. I've been to a few other hotels in the area in the past; this was my first stay at the Dayton House. While there are many good options around, the Dayton House is just the best value around, and I'll definitely stay here again when I next visit Myrtle Beach!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank UpstateSteve
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2012

I've been meaning to write this review for awhile. We stayed at the Dayton House in 2011, and were generally very pleased. The rooms were not particularly fancy, but they were clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable, and the views were beautiful. My only complaint, room-wise, is that our family booked two rooms, and requested that they be next to each other, or at least on the same floor. Well, they were not on the same floor--one was on the 9th, and one was on the 5th. In response to this, they upgraded one of our rooms to a suite, so I'm not really complaining.

This hotel has impressive water amenities. There are several pools, and a long lazy-river. The pool areas are well kept, and very nicely landscaped. What is especially unique is the wade-in pool, where you gradually walk into the pool on a gradual incline. There are two saunas, which is always a plus for those who enjoy them.

Parking is, indeed, tight. The garage in the suites tower has tight corners, which were sometimes hard to maneuver. Overall, parking is not an annoyance though.

Although we chose to stay elsewhere on our next trip to Myrtle Beach, it was NOT because we were in any way dissatisfied with the Dayton House; we simply needed a hotel with a 3 bedroom condo. The Dayton House provided us with a memorable vacation and I would recommend it highly!

Room Tip: Request a high floor. All rooms have good views, though.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank beachbum00
Macomb, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it! Whirlwind girls weekend I booked through travelocity. The rooms are clean and spacious. The beds are quite comfy & I liked the pillows (Im pillow picky). Our room was an efficiency with 2 queen beds & a kitchenette with an ocean angle view - which was a great view of the ocean & yellow umbrellas. Every staff person we encountered was very friendly. It was a safe area that we felt comfortable walking around at night - saw lots of families out at night. It's a very good value. We spent 98% of our time on the beach and only in the zero entry pool twice, and it was very nice. Clean, not a lot of chlorine. GO!!

Room Tip: There are 4 buildings; we stayed in the north building with an ocean angle view. I'd recommend...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends