“Great Value in off season”

Dayton House Resort
Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Forest VA
“Great Value in off season”
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We love the beach in the off season and always stay at the Dayton House. The rates are great. Our room in Dec was 27.00. Standard rooms are efficiencies with a full size frig, stove, microwave. All dishes and cook ware are provided. The hotel isn't fancy but it's clean and on the beach. The staff are always friendly and accomodating. Parking is close be and well lit. For us, it's the best value at Myrtle Beach and within walking distance or many restaurants and especcialy our favorite-The Sea Captain's House.

Room Tip: Dayton House has many buildings. If you want to see the beach, ask for the North or South tower.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (578)
Spartanburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Took my Mother (declining health) and step-Dad for a return trip to MB where they used to make frequent trips but due to her health, he's not able to travel by himself with her any longer. We stayed from December 2-5. They were excited about going there for the Carolina Opry Christmas Show and the beach. I booked through Expedia.com and upon arrival, found the handicapped accessible bathroom for Mama and other requests made weren't done. Bev/Dayton was helpful, kind and when I explained my concerns, gave me Expedia's number to get this resolved. Beware!!! Had major problems as the "upper person" I was connected to was from a foreign country and was difficult, unkind and unhelpful . The manager, Andy at the Dayton saw how upset I was and ended up talking to her and working it out. We ended up instead of two rooms, staying in the "suites building", which has handicapped accessible rooms, which we needed for Mama. The only reason I didn't give 5 stars is the pull down bed I slept on was squishy/uncomfortable/poor sleep as a result. The Dayton staff was fantastic in every way. When I told them my request to get Mama on the beach (she's wheel-chair bound) they gave me the number for the police who brought a "special" wheelchair with balloon tires that made it possible for Mama to spend a beautiful afternoon on the beach. She always loved walking on the beach and hadn't been there in several years now. She had a blast that afternoon. My advice? Please think carefully about using Expedia and do like I did and read reviews from people who have used Expedia. Speaking for myself, I know from know on, I'll book directly with the hotel instead to ensure a smooth, worry-free travel experience. And if you happen to have problems, it much easier to deal directly with the hotel. Thanks again, Andy for all your efforts made to get the problem corrected. You rock!!! Due to your help, a few days after arrival back home, called my credit card company and my refund for the second room was reflected on my account. Thanks also to Bev for helping me upon check-in as well. Your kindness, compassion and help were appreciated. Merry Christmas (early I know) to the Dayton staff!!!

Room Tip: If traveling with someone with mobility issues, ask for the "suites building". Also read m...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank AnnaJason
Jonestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This was our first time at this hotel as it was part of a package to see five Christmas shows at Myrtle Beach. We had ocean front rooms in the north building. Our room was dated but very clean and great beds. Our rate also included a free breakfast every day at uncle John's restaurant located one block back from the hotel which was a big plus. The location of the hotel is great and we plan to come back next year as it was that good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Buchanan, Virginia
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My Family and I have been staying at the Dayton House for over 30 years. All of the rooms that we have stayed in over the years are always very nice and the furnishings are always up to date and clean. The grounds are very clean and the pools are very nice. The personnel are always very courteous and polite and respectful. Thank you.

Room Tip: End Rooms are a little larger then the rooms in the middle. If you have 3 or more people the suites...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Waxhaw, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Our first time to stay at the Dayton House and it was a very pleasant experience. We went on Thanksgiving for the Bluegrass Festival at the Convention Center. We had a festival discount and coupons for breakfast at Uncle John's which was delicious.
We ask & got two beds and had an angled ocean view. The beds were comfortable and the facility is very quiet.
Walking distance to the Convention Center so no extra parking fee. We walked back late at night and felt safe.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Salem, VA
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was my first time staying at Dayton House. I was satisfied with the condition of the room and facilities. Parking is not so great, only a few spaces under the building and then you have to park across the street. Since it was the off season, there were no crowds and it was very quiet. The room was very hard to keep warm, heater thermostat didn't keep temperature consistent. When I arrived, I asked the man at the front desk if they had any complimentary upgrades, he didn't even look, he just said no. He could have a least looked in the computer. If I go to Myrtle Beach again in the off season, I will probably stay here again, if this had been the busy season, I think it would be way to crowded.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Lebanon, Virginia
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This was our first time staying at Dayton House. We stayed for one night in late November so we did not use the pool or other opportunities. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the staff at the front desk. Because it was off season they upgraded our room at no additional charge because we wanted to be able to see the ocean from our room. We had one room with two queen beds. It was very roomy and the beds were comfortable. Our side view of the ocean from the 8th floor was terrific. I will definitely return to Dayton House in the future. The price through Priceline.com was excellent.

Room Tip: We stayed in South Bldg. room 845 overlooking the city metered parking. Because it was late Novembe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family